• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeJan 25th 2008
    I just saw First Blood for the first time tonight. Awesome! I decided I had to watch all three so I would know who the heck this Rambo guy is when I see the new film....
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Scribe wrote
    I just saw First Blood for the first time tonight. Awesome! I decided I had to watch all three so I would know who the heck this Rambo guy is when I see the new film....

The first film is not bad, the other two are a laughathon, far more entertaining but flag waving purile childish crap dressed up in violence and cod politics.....but stupifying fun! spin moon biggrin
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    I could see the tiniest structures on Ben Stiller´s face

what about his ears biggrin
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  1. Oh, those were his ears?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeJan 26th 2008
    ELEPHANT

More of an observation of what happened, than a mainstream account with ditto 'explanation' to put theories alongside the unexplainable. Gus portrays the event coldly as a horrific outsiders view, only hinting at the reasons why. And that works surprisingly good, with a lot of hypnotic shots of youngsters walking through the school. Yet it also feels empty and shallow, which gives me mixed feelings ultimately. It's not a 'proper' movie, but an experiment. But what else could you make of it? Did I want to see the troubled childhood of these psychokids? Not really.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    BobdH wrote
    ELEPHANT

And that works surprisingly good, with a lot of hypnotic shots of youngsters walking through the school.

These are the best parts of the film, which I loved when I watched it some years ago. With some sequences repeated from different points of view. And then the final minutes, when they perform the killing, which are specially stunning and touching.

BobdH wrote
    Yet it also feels empty and shallow, which gives me mixed feelings ultimately.

I think that´s what the director wanted, to create this feeling of emptyness in the audience. And IMO he achieved it.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I, for one, absolutely loved Elephant, partly also due to the use of Beethoven's music in it.
  2. ELEPHANT is pretty remarkable, except perhaps for the bits where you see the killers at home. I can see why the film needed to show the space, but I'm not sure I liked what we found there.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 26th 2008 edited
    Why not? Gives you another, rarely seen inside look. Not pleasant for sure but very, very interesting.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Yep, the more I think about it, the more I like it. I loved the experience anyway, but thought it was 'empty'. Thinking about it, there is so much inside that empty space...
  3. It was the one rather cliched bit, I thought. The killers bathe together, ordered guns over the internet, and played Beethoven? It almost seems like an explanation sequence that the rest of the film so carefully avoids.

Saw again today... NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN. It holds up all right. Still the best film I've seen since ZODIAC, and THE PRESTIGE before that. Two classics in one year is quite something for American cinema.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Aw, man, I can't wait for No Country For Old Men!! And I'm really hyped for Paranoid Park now! But I'll have to wait a few weeks for those... angry
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Well why do we quickly want to dismiss such explanations? Why couldn't that also be one of the explanations of what has actually happened? Going out and killing a bunch of people without apparent reason, in cold, although too broad and complex of a subject matter to be discussed here in a few lines indeed, still it must most probably mean you obviously have something VERY WRONG going in your head, most of the times at least. I think it's became a little bit of a taboo to label such cases of killers as pretty fucked up in the head and i personally don't like that nor do i feel like these are areas we shouldn't touch. Yeah, i believe that those 2 were pretty much sickos and to go out and to do something like that is very shocking and unacceptable. I don't have a personal problem labeling them as such. I don't know what happened for sure of course but that doesn't stop my personal thoughts from running wink
  4. Christodoulides wrote
    Well why do we quickly want to dismiss such explanations? Why couldn't that also be one of the explanations of what has actually happened?

I still think the film is pretty brilliant, in a very cold way. But it does let it's guard down there. In the rest of the film it goes to such efforts not to dramatise the lives of the victims, that to dramatise the killers comes across as a bit strange. It feels like something they needed to do to stretch the film out to feature film length, but which doesn't fit in very well with the rest.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I am going to see ATONEMENT at the cinema tonight, better be good!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Christodoulides wrote

Oh, it is. And hopefully you'll change your mind about the score too wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    BobdH wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Oh, it is. And hopefully you'll change your mind about the score too wink

He will. Just wait until he sees the Dunkirk sequence, and the last minutes of the film (among others) smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeJan 27th 2008 edited
    Back on the old forum, we had that topic where people posted links to special music tracks they thought might be worth sharing. One of you guys posted the link to a Doctor Who video about his home world Gallifrey. Just in case you´re interested, it´s here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWlWNM0dURs

Of course I had heard about DW, but I had never seen an episode before. All I had in mind was that silly looking man with his phone box from a cheap looking british SF series. Then I saw that Gallifrey video.

After seeing it I thought, well, the series might be worth a look.

It took some time, but finally I found some friends of mine who had the new series and gave it to me with a look in their eyes as if I had no idea what I was going to experience. That was three weeks ago.

Since then, my wife and me, we´re both caught in a Doctor Who universe bubble that is unwilling to let us go. We´ve seen nearly all three seasons by now (three episodes left), and with the two first episodes that aired today on a german tv station we saw seven episodes today alone. One of them was Blink, which must be the most intelligent, scariest, and terrifying thing I´ve seen on a TV screen for a very long while.

So, if there´s anyone out there who has NOT seen the new series of Doctor Who (started in 2005), do yourself a favour and WATCH it. It is the most inventive, imaginative, dramatic, funny as hell series I´ve seen since, my god I don´t know... nothing compares to it. Nothing. Doctor Who is Hitchhiker´s Guide done right meets Buffy meets X Files on speed. With a brilliant score, astonishing effects on par with anything the americans can do, heartbreaking acting and storylines that will make you kill your fingernails, this is entertainment on highest levels. Get through that first episode Rose with low expectations (it´s actually the worst episode but still watchable), and then, with Episode 2, the fun begins. Really. Do it. You will thank me. DW is even okay when it´s crappy and mindfuckingly brilliant when it is good. And wait until you see things like Blink which will terrify you to death or Doomsday which will make you scream at your TV and use up any tears you´ve left.

And now I have to thank the guy who posted the link to that Gallifrey video. I don´t remember who it was, but I´ll be eternally thankful.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeJan 27th 2008
    Just saw Cloverfield. Let no one say there is no more originality in film-making. Despite the low budget and the handheld-camera-ness, its both the most tense and the most epic monster movie I've ever seen. The small point of view actually makes the whole thing seem bigger in scope. Genious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Scribe wrote
    Despite the low budget and the handheld-camera-ness...

Low? Well, the picture may be looking cheap, but I'd hardly call 30 million dollars 'low budget' tongue Let's not forget the CGI shots, the use of big sets, lots of extra's, the army... wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    BobdH wrote
    Scribe wrote

Low? Well, the picture may be looking cheap, but I'd hardly call 30 million dollars 'low budget' tongue Let's not forget the CGI shots, the use of big sets, lots of extra's, the army... wink

....and Giacchino´s 7 minutes biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Saw North By Northwest for the 7th or 8th time today.
    Great film! Hitchcock at his best.
    Herrmann at his best! Love how well the score works with the brilliant visuals.

Now we're about to watch the original Cape Fear.
    Another classic Herrmann score to enjoy!
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    BobdH wrote
    Scribe wrote

$25-30 million is an extremely low budget for a major feature film. Even Shyamalan's Lady in the Water, which takes place entirely in an apartment complex and beyond the occasional weird creatures has hardly any visual effects, cost $70+ million.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeJan 27th 2008 edited
    HIGHLANDER

I never watched the whole film until now, And Im really amazed Highlander is one of the most mytics films from the 80's.

It is a TERRIBLE,TERRIBLE film.....When Lambert performance is better than the rest of the filmaking you are in real danger.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    ATONEMENT

shocked

Shockingly brilliant piece of film-making, the art in its finest form, EVERY SINGLE BIT OF IT. I have no words to comment on it, i am truly, wholly shocked.

And the "Dunkirk sequence"? ....
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    ZODIAC

Now, that were 2 and a half hours of fine cinema! I loved the pacing, quick and way it was told, and it quite contradicts with the brutal murder scenes (especially that one at the lake, I was totally shocked for a moment). Anyway, I agree partly with what Demetris said, the ending is a bit abrupt, though I had no problems with the idea of not knowing for sure who it eventually was, I liked that sort of uncertainty. It makes you feel the sae way as Graysmith himself, not knowing for sure if it's him or not. (If that makes sense what I just said).

I loved the acting of the inspector (Toschi, played by Mark Ruffalo), very memorable. Gyllenhaal is good as always and I thought before watching he had the leading role, but that only came in like the 3rd act or so.
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Nautilus wrote
    HIGHLANDER

I never watched the whole film until now, And Im really amazed Highlander is one of the most mytics films from the 80's.

It is a TERRIBLE,TERRIBLE film.....When Lambert performance is better than the rest of the filmaking you are in real danger.

Killjoy! It's great, rip-roaring dafty fun, stupifyingly great film, what other film do You know that has a French actor playing a Scotsman and a Scotsman playing a Spaniard...eh? eh? eh? spin biggrin

Great score by Kamen who uses Queen's contributions brilliantly in the underscore, particularly the brilliant Who Want's To Live Forever which moves me everytime I hear it.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthormoviescore
    RATATOUILLE

By no means a masterpiece in terms of storytelling (the screenplay is not as inventive as "Finding Nemo"), but so impressive when it comes to the animation, the design, the direction. Some pictures are just breathtaking in terms of the composition, lighting, colours. But one of the film's problems is that the main human character, Linguini, is not someone I get particularly interested in - I don't care enough about him to care enough about the story. Remy, the "main rat", is cute, so full of human expressions that it's really a tribute to the classic Disney school of animation in that respect. But my favorite character is of course the evil food critic, wonderfully voiced by Peter O'Toole.

Again, I was disappointed by Michael Giacchino's score - busy, funny, cool, retro (again), but without focus in my opinion. I had the same feeling with The Incredibles. Shoot me!

Looking forward very much to "Wall-E", which I believe will be an extraordinarily original film, and the one that will really compete with "Finding Nemo" as Pixar's finest ever.
    •  
      CommentAuthormoviescore
    Nautilus wrote
    HIGHLANDER

Are you kidding? I love Highlander and the only problem I have with it is Lambert. The direction is 1,000 times better than his performance! Great score by Michael Kamen, and those camera transitions between "now" and "then" are so inventive they've been copied ever since!

mc