• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJan 6th 2009
    It's a connection to The Incredible Hulk. (SHIELD.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    What? That's lame too, score-wise (i haven't watched the film but i don't have high hopes either)
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I can't remember the last GOOD superhero score! devil
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote

Hancock was REALLY solid!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    Timmer wrote

Hancock was REALLY solid!

-Erik-

Ahhhhh my first bite! biggrin devil

Really liked that theme Erik and not a bad score at all.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. OUR FRIENDS IN THE NORTH

Finished watching this 9-episode drama on DVD tonight. I loved it, from the four leads (Chris Eccleston, Gina McKee, Mark Strong and Daniel Craig) to the wonderful supporting cast (Peter Vaughan, Donald Sumpter, Malcolm McDowell, Alun Armstrong among many others), but in particular the ambition of the series - to tell a long friendship saga against the backdrop of 30 years of British politics. Like the best of TV series, it offers the right kind of satisfaction without indulging the audience too much. (The fate of Peter Vaughan is a nice example of how to handle that kind of situation - the scriptwriter of THE NOTEBOOK should have watched.)

Not perfect at every moment, but for performances, ambition, emotional involvement, and the fact that the story is still going in my head... MUST SEE, 10 out of 10, 5 stars, call it what you will. Now if more TV was conceived with such ambition and fine writing.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  2. Anthony wrote
    Iron Man

First viewing! Enjoyable. Maybe not as great as everyone had made it out to be, and I wish I'd saved a bit of cash and bought the DVD instead of Blu-Ray, but it was still good fun. The flying sequence over LA was awesome, and Downey Jr.'s performance made it. Plus Gwyneth Paltrow looked really cute!

What made you wish you bought the DVD instead of Blu-ray edition Anthony, I'm just asking because I would guess the Hidef disc would blow the other one out of the water... and since I went and ordered it online. wink

I was pleasantly surprised with Iron Man, and that doesn't happen too often lately.

Dark Knight... OOPS. DAMN I SAID IT AGAIN!!! SORRY angry
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    And they complain about my starting a thread. What is all of this wasted space?
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Anthony wrote
    Iron Man

First viewing! Enjoyable. Maybe not as great as everyone had made it out to be,

Yeah, it was too!

I don't know the comics at all, but does that Samuel L Jackson cameo after the credits have relevance? A set up for a sequel?

It's a double setup: first of all indeed a segue into the upcoming Avengers movie.
    (The Avengers is a group of superheroes featuring Iron Man, Captain America and -sometimes- The Hulk).

In the "Ultimate Marvel" universe (a re-imagening of old comic series) the latest set of movies seems to be most based upon, the Avengers are assembled as part of some homeplanet security force under the auspicies of general Fury from S.H.I.E.L.D., an organization whose acronym alternately stands for Supreme Headquarters, International Espionage, Law-Enforcement Division or Strategic Hazard Intervention, Espionage Logistics Directorate or Strategic Homeland Intervention, Enforcement, and Logistics Division (well, whatever sounds good, I guess slant).

The second joke is an in-joke and will only be appreciated with those closely following the Ultimate Marvel comics. At one point in one of the stories, our heroes sit around bantering and discussing what movie star they would want to play them if their exploits would ever be put to film.
    When General Fury is asked, without thinking he answers "only one choice, Sam L. Jackson, of course!"

This being years before Iron Man was filmed makes the joke really funny.
    Well. To me at least.
    But then I'm geeky that way.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    sdtom wrote
    What is all of this wasted space?

It's called "Maintitles".
    It's some sort of internet messageboard thingy where geeks go and discuss such things of life altering import as film scores and movies.

It's all a bit sad, really.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Anthony wrote
    Iron Man

First viewing! Enjoyable. Maybe not as great as everyone had made it out to be,

Yeah, it was too!

I don't know the comics at all, but does that Samuel L Jackson cameo after the credits have relevance? A set up for a sequel?

It's a double setup: first of all indeed a segue into the upcoming Avengers movie.
    (The Avengers is a group of superheroes featuring Iron Man, Captain America and -sometimes- The Hulk).

In the "Ultimate Marvel" universe (a re-imagening of old comic series) the latest set of movies seems to be most based upon, the Avengers are assembled as part of some homeplanet security force under the auspicies of general Fury from S.H.I.E.L.D., an organization whose acronym alternately stands for Supreme Headquarters, International Espionage, Law-Enforcement Division or Strategic Hazard Intervention, Espionage Logistics Directorate or Strategic Homeland Intervention, Enforcement, and Logistics Division (well, whatever sounds good, I guess slant).

The second joke is an in-joke and will only be appreciated with those closely following the Ultimate Marvel comics. At one point in one of the stories, our heroes sit around bantering and discussing what movie star they would want to play them if their exploits would ever be put to film.
    When General Fury is asked, without thinking he answers "only one choice, Sam L. Jackson, of course!"

This being years before Iron Man was filmed makes the joke really funny.
    Well. To me at least.
    But then I'm geeky that way.

Me too!

Loved the Ultimates story lines and various spin-offs I read, some of it wasw very dark, Antman & The Wasp was creepy and not nice at all, a great take on the "son of Odin" Thor ( is he a mentalist or for real!??? ) and the Hulk is used as a kind of final solution weapon. Great stuff!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Martijn wrote
    sdtom wrote
    What is all of this wasted space?

It's called "Maintitles".
    It's some sort of internet messageboard thingy where geeks go and discuss such things of life altering import as film scores and movies.

It's all a bit sad, really.

:pawel:
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJan 6th 2009 edited
    Just finished the third (and last) season of HBO's Deadwood.

I really, really loved this series about an American frontier mining camp/town at the end of the 19th century.
    The characters were good (the most redoubtable Ian McShane especially, hamming up the scenery as a small-town Al Capone), the atmosphere, the stories and especially the writing!

The dialogue, 19th century flowery prose where knowledge of and aptitude in verbiage are shown off to an extent exceeding even my own, intermixed with a truly aweinspiring amount of swearing (move over Scarface, you have been rendered irrelevant!), is absolutely stunning and a joy to follow!

It's a deep shame HBO has decide to cancel the series (which has been consistently praised by audience and critics alike and has amassed an impressive array of prizes) without a satisfying ending.

Still, it's a more than enjoyable rump, and one I have no hesitation at all in recommending most warmly to those who are not so imprurient as to be unable to handle their profanties, whereby it needs to be noted that "imprurient" is not, in fact, a proper word.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    About Iron Man : I really can't understand how a so bland movie could reach the 300 million mark.

about Indy : Who decided it's more ridicoulous indy in a fridge than Indy doing a slalalom with no parachutes or Indy driving a car in a tunnel with a plane next to him?

I think the last Crusade and Raiders are in another level....far , very far from temple or Kingndom. But honestly, between Temple and Kingdom I prefer the last one. I simply can't stand with willie, short round, the dinner sequence, and for sure the Khali ritual is not so fascinating like aliens in the maya civilitation

Anyway, I understand Temple of the Doom, is now a classic. And all this ridicoloous elmenets are part of our culture. ( the last 20 minutes of pure macho man action pieces with a superb direction of steven spierlberg helps a lot to consider, temple as a good movie )
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Nautilus wrote
    About Iron Man : I really can't understand how a so bland movie could reach the 300 million mark.

about Indy : Who decided it's more ridicoulous indy in a fridge than Indy doing a slalalom with no parachutes or Indy driving a car in a tunnel with a plane next to him?

I think the last Crusade and Raiders are in another level....far , very far from temple or Kingndom. But honestly, between Temple and Kingdom I prefer the last one. I simply can't stand with willie, short round, the dinner sequence, and for sure the Khali ritual is not so fascinating like aliens in the maya civilitation

Anyway, I understand Temple of the Doom, is now a classic. And all this ridicoloous elmenets are part of our culture. ( the last 20 minutes of pure macho man action pieces with a superb direction of steven spierlberg helps a lot to consider, temple as a good movie )

Yes but these things that were acceptable 20 years ago are not things so widely accepted in todays world.

Timmer wrote
    Me too!

Loved the Ultimates story lines and various spin-offs I read, some of it wasw very dark, Antman & The Wasp was creepy and not nice at all, a great take on the "son of Odin" Thor ( is he a mentalist or for real!??? ) and the Hulk is used as a kind of final solution weapon. Great stuff!

Woooooosh! Right over my head. spin
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Harry Potter And the Prisoner Of Azkaban

Another one of those movies you just have to watch to see how the score fits in. I only read the first three books when I was young, and I couldn't remember the story at all when watching this. The middle of the movie lost me completely but the whole "time" thing at the end was quite neat. I also liked how it felt more like it was set in "our world". Having a lot of the colour drained out was great. As for the score though; it almost felt too epic for the film it was accompanying. But who cares - we have an excellent album from it. Williams outdid himself again and for that I applaud him. beer

Btw, is the cue from when Harry and Hermione are running from the werewolf (when they've "gone back in time") on the CD? Williams goes absolutely INSANE with the timpani! (WANT) shocked I know there's the cue titled "The Werewolf Scene", but I think that's from when we see the scene first the "first" time.
  3. Blade Runner - The Final Cut

WHAT A MOVIEEE. ANd I LOVE RIdley Scott. This film is just STUNNING!

Will elaborate later.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeJan 7th 2009 edited
    sdtom wrote
    Slumdog Millionaire was a good film with a lousy soundtrack in my opinion. That pounding rhythm loosened more wax in my ears. I needed two q-tips to clean them out when I got home cheesy The film however was well told about growing up in India. A bit on the graphic side which I think is not necessary.

I thought the soundtrack + score worked very well for the movie. Electronics meets raaga and hip-hop, with a dash of Bollywood thrown in for good measure. I didn't find the sound levels so high (perhaps my theater turned it down) but I recall reading that Danny Boyle wanted the music to be loud and upfront. The movie was quite nice, though being Indian it (story/setting) wasn't too much new or exotic for me. I was amused to see almost everyone in the theater clap and rejoice at the ending. biggrin

I like Boyle's music sense for all his movies (that I've seen) so far. I'd say Trainspotting and Slumdog are quite alike in that respect-- pop/rock/hip-hop, loud, pacy and in your face.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJan 7th 2009
    Perhaps it was just the theater complex I saw the film in.
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeJan 7th 2009 edited
    Man on Wire
    A documentary about Frenchman Philippe Petit's high wire walk between the WTC Twin Towers in 1974. Excellent and exciting! Petit is a great storyteller and very animated.
    The score was intrusive in some parts but good otherwise. I was dismayed to learn that nearly all of the score was from Nyman's previous scores (and of J. Ralph) slant
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Isn't it about time this thread had a Part 2 ?
  4. Oh yeah, it is.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Oh yeah, it is.

I don't see the point in doing it until someone has something worthwhile posting?
  5. Yeah. I will watch a DVD for sure today, so probably I might start it!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    DreamTheater wrote
    Anthony wrote
    Iron Man

First viewing! Enjoyable. Maybe not as great as everyone had made it out to be, and I wish I'd saved a bit of cash and bought the DVD instead of Blu-Ray, but it was still good fun. The flying sequence over LA was awesome, and Downey Jr.'s performance made it. Plus Gwyneth Paltrow looked really cute!

What made you wish you bought the DVD instead of Blu-ray edition Anthony, I'm just asking because I would guess the Hidef disc would blow the other one out of the water... and since I went and ordered it online. wink

I was pleasantly surprised with Iron Man, and that doesn't happen too often lately.

Dark Knight... OOPS. DAMN I SAID IT AGAIN!!! SORRY angry

Current prices of blu-ray films really do make it seem like a novelty at the moment. I'll happily shell out another fiver for a film that's going to to have considerably better picture quality than upscaled 1080p, but Iron Man didn't make my eyes burn like The Dark Knight and Transformers do. Those are two films that MUST be experienced in high-def, but I could easily have watch Iron Man on DVD and would have been happy.

Then again, about 5 minutes ago I just bought Kung Fu Panda on blu-ray. Hopefully I won't be saying the same thing in a couple of days. biggrin
  6. BhelPuri wrote
    Man on Wire
    A documentary about Frenchman Philippe Petit's high wire walk between the WTC Twin Towers in 1974. Excellent and exciting! Petit is a great storyteller and very animated.
    The score was intrusive in some parts but good otherwise. I was dismayed to learn that nearly all of the score was from Nyman's previous scores (and of J. Ralph) slant

Why is it disappointing? I thought the music from the Greenaway films actually was more enjoyable in MAN ON WIRE than in the films it was written for. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeJan 8th 2009 edited
    franz_conrad wrote
    BhelPuri wrote
    Man on Wire

Why is it disappointing? I thought the music from the Greenaway films actually was more enjoyable in MAN ON WIRE than in the films it was written for. wink

Enjoyable, yes! But hey, if the director liked his music so much why couldn't he get him to write an original score for it? It's like cherry-picking and mix-and-matching-- for sure, you'll have some fine music to listen. But you could be better served by someone writing for specifically for your film.

Hmm, isn't this a temp-track vs original score debate then?
  7. BhelPuri wrote
    Enjoyable, yes! But hey, if the director liked his music so much why couldn't he get him to write an original score for it? It's like cherry-picking and mix-and-matching-- for sure, you'll have some fine music to listen. But you could be better served by someone writing for specifically for your film.

Hmm, isn't this a temp-track vs original score debate then?

If you're for purity of method, then there may be an argument for being totally original. To me the result is all that matters. MAN ON WIRE is just another in a long line of films where the music works fantastically, but wasn't written for the film. Others include 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY, Jean-Claude Petit's AMELIE (the best parts were taken from Yann Tierssen albums, and the composer wrote some original pieces to fill out the score), THE THIN RED LINE (with its Arvo Part, Charles Ives, Gabriel Faure, Arsenije Jovanovic, Polynesian hymns, etc), HEAVEN (Arvo Part), and even something like OUR FRIENDS IN THE NORTH (which uses popular music classics to fantastic effect). There's definitely cases where it doesn't work, and where the lack of stylistic integration sabotages the smooth progression of musical ideas in the score, but MAN ON WIRE felt very consistent to me. (Though I do wish something other than the very familiar Erik Satie Gymnopedie had appeared at the climax of the World Trade Centre wirewalk.)

I actually prefer it if original pieces are used in this way than if a composer is asked to retread the temp track in their own compositions. That nearly always ends up being little more than an imitation of the original music, and has difficulty achieving the kind of magical accidents that come from putting film and music that were never meant to sit together. (I know this from experience, as my best short film kept its temp track after two failed attempts at scoring it by different composers, admittedly neither of them were Michael Nyman.)

It's more likely to happen in documentaries than dramas incidentally, as the music often gives the editor a kind of skeleton around which to structure a montage.

The other point about getting Nyman. Apart from the budget reasons, I don't think they would have got Nyman writing again in the extroverted, minimalist style that obviously interested them. Like John Barry, he seems to have found a very different style in the latter half of his career.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeJan 8th 2009 edited
    Nice post, franz! A lot of good points!

franz_conrad wrote
    There's definitely cases where it doesn't work, and where the lack of stylistic integration sabotages the smooth progression of musical ideas in the score, but MAN ON WIRE felt very consistent to me. (Though I do wish something other than the very familiar Erik Satie Gymnopedie had appeared at the climax of the World Trade Centre wirewalk.)

I thought it was too intrusive in some of the conversation scenes (Petit and his lady friend).
    With library music we might have some other emotion/idea associated with that music and that tends to detract from what you see on screen now.

And whoah, I didn't know that about Yann Tiersen's Amelie score (oh, you mean Jeunet and not Petit). I will have to check the other ones you mention (Part)

I actually prefer it if original pieces are used in this way than if a composer is asked to retread the temp track in their own compositions.

Definitely!

The other point about getting Nyman. Apart from the budget reasons, I don't think they would have got Nyman writing again in the extroverted, minimalist style that obviously interested them. Like John Barry, he seems to have found a very different style in the latter half of his career.

I think you're right. I wasn't asking that question in all seriousness. I don't think I've heard anything of that kind of Nyman (until now). Extroverted minimalist sounds like an oxymoron but I see what you mean. cheesy
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 8th 2009
    Side-note question, mostly towards Bregt: are the PART II threads really necessary? I mean we have the fabulous search for a specific post function, don't we?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.