• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJan 8th 2009
    Christodoulides wrote
    Side-note question, mostly towards Bregt: are the PART II threads really necessary? I mean we have the fabulous search for a specific post function, don't we?

Yes, true, good search function.

But even then, sometimes it's handy to remember in what Part XX the post you're looking for was, which narrows down the searching a bit.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJan 10th 2009
    And if you don't?
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJan 10th 2009
    I'm going to watch The Plow that Broke the Plains a Pare Lorentz film with music by Thomson
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJan 22nd 2009 edited
    Just come back from my second viewing of the brilliant Defiance, and it holds up very well on its second viewing.

I can imagine harsher critics, even ones on this forum, will probably pick apart at it like crows to a sun dried carcass roasting in the middle of a desert - but for ME it works. Extremely well.

I realise it's not as good as it could have been, and unfortunately Zwick does tend to shy away from the kind of harsh reality of war a little bit, but there's still a great deal of fine film making evident. The music in particular.

But rather than complain about what it isn't, I applaud what it is: A genuinely engaging and involving drama about the human spirit against the odds. What appeals to me is the way it reminds us of what it is to be human. That's a pretty powerful thing IMO.
  1. Sounds like someone else's kind of film. biggrin
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJan 22nd 2009
    What?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I wouldn't mind seeing this. I usually enjoy Zwick's films (sometimes if only to laugh at them - as with The Lat Samurai) but was put off by a couple of reviews I read. Will probably catch it when it becomes available on a home-videogram.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Samurai was perfectly enjoyable, but unfortunately is a little laughable when you take a step back and realise this is the Japenese-set version of Dances With Wolves starring Tom Cruise as... a Samurai.

Apart from that, I must admit to being a bit of a Zwick apologist. (Yes, insert the appropriate joke for the word 'apologist' where you must.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    To be honest I don't think there's a need to apologise for him - he's done some fine stuff. Seemed to lose his way a bit when it came to music though, after the glory of Glory and the legend of Legends of the Fall and the, erm, courageous Courage Under Fire. I imagine Defiance's score works very well though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Wolf Creek

An odd film. I can't say I enjoyed it. Wasn't especially repulsed by it, which some critics seemed to be, but neither was it very comfortable viewing. Quite effective in achieving its aims, I guess. It affirms my suspicions about Australians' treatment of British tourists.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Southall wrote
    To be honest I don't think there's a need to apologise for him - he's done some fine stuff. Seemed to lose his way a bit when it came to music though, after the glory of Glory and the legend of Legends of the Fall and the, erm, courageous Courage Under Fire. I imagine Defiance's score works very well though.

And there it is. biggrin

Courage Under Fire and The Siege are by far his weakest films, both in terms of script and music. Defiance is perhaps a return to his "Glory" days. (Get it? Good.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Steven wrote
    Southall wrote

And there it is. biggrin

Courage Under Fire and The Siege are by far his weakest films, both in terms of script and music. Defiance is perhaps a return to his "Glory" days. (Get it? Good.)

I even quite enjoyed The Siege (though parts of it fall into my earlier "sometimes if only to laugh at them" comment).

To mention Ed Zwick's weakest film in terms of music and then not attach The Last Samurai to that statement suggests to me that far too much alcohol has been consumed. I like the album, but sheesh, you could have scored the film with an endless loop of Whigfield's "Saturday Night" and it would have been more suitably-spotted and sensitively-scored.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    The Happening

Let´s see..... Mark Wahlberg looking like he has smoked some serious shit, an actress with beautiful eyes but seems like she is using tones of drugs, Mark Wahlberg talking to a plastic plant (A PLASTIC PLANT!), the actress performing dramatic moments like she is doing a comedy, and finally, James Newton Howard doing what he can to make the film interesting at least for us score geeks.

1 out of 5

On the other hand

In Bruges

One of the best films released last year. Great to see Colin Farrell´s comic side (although the film is far, far from being a comedy). Great performances by Farrell, Gleeson and Ralph Fiennes and a simple story that captures you from the first minute.

4 out of 5
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Marselus wrote
    The Happening

Let´s see..... Mark Wahlberg looking like he has smoked some serious shit, an actress with beautiful eyes but seems like she is using tones of drugs, Mark Wahlberg talking to a plastic plant (A PLASTIC PLANT!), the actress performing dramatic moments like she is doing a comedy, and finally, James Newton Howard doing what he can to make the film interesting at least for us score geeks.

1 out of 5

On the other hand

In Bruges

One of the best films released last year. Great to see Colin Farrell´s comic side (although the film is far, far from being a comedy). Great performances by Farrell, Gleeson and Ralph Fiennes and a simple story that captures you from the first minute.

4 out of 5

In Bruges

Best black comedy I've seen for years and seriously laugh out loud.....loved it!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Marselus wrote
    The Happening
    an actress with beautiful eyes

I'm actually in love with Zooey Deschanel. love
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote

In Bruges

Best black comedy I've seen for years and seriously laugh out loud.....loved it!

Double that.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    • CommentTimeJan 24th 2009
    Invasion USA (1985)

Chuck Norris stops anti-American terrorists from ... attacking America .
    Bad acting and a very far fetched 'plot' but great 80's action though ...

A quote from the movie :

Matt Hunter : If you come back in here , I am gonna hit you with so many rights you are going to beg for a left .

biggrin

Cloverfield (2008)

This wasn't as bad as I thought it would be , it had good characters and an interesting monster .
    But what is the monster ? Where does it come from ? Lots of questions are left open ...
    Do I hear any sequel bells in the background there ? But I bloody hate that handheld camera thingy they use ! It gives me headaches after a while !
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I got a real treat in the mail from Naxos, a DVD of the original documentary The City that Copland wrote a famous score for.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    SWAT

Not very good. Totally boring for an hour before turning into something a bit more enjoyable, but ludicrous.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeJan 24th 2009 edited
    I had planned to go seeing WALL-E this week but I couldn't because I caught a slight cold. sad So instead I rented another film to watch at home...

I didn't expect much, because the same director's Chicken Little was horrible.

But I'm pleasantly surprised! The Emperor's New Groove is a great cartoon film! And good score!

It's really well-made slapstick cartoon movie, and its visuals (character design, background art, character animation, etc.) are great and fit the story and its tempo very much. The story is fun, characters are fun, artworks are fun, music is fun, everything is fun! biggrin

There are some "emotional" moments, as usual in any Disney films. Disney guys tend to make this kind of scenes too sappy in a comedy film, like in Chicken Little. But in this film, emotions never became sappiness, and never went outside the tone of the entire film.

I thought John Debney's Chicken score was bad, especially in those "sappy" scenes (because music made them sappier). But this time his Groovy score is great! Pacha's theme is beautiful but not sappy, Izma's theme is fun and fits this funny villainess. And I really loved the jazzy cue in that funny chase scene. I must get the soundtrack.

So, when you or your kids want to see a good cartoony comedy, watch this (or Home On The Range, Ice Age 2), not Madagascrap. tongue
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Southall wrote
    SWAT

Not very good. Totally boring for an hour before turning into something a bit more enjoyable, but ludicrous.

shocked

I thik it's Goldenthal's most accessible, most enjoyable and most energetic score.
    I actually enjoy it over all his other ones. slant
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Martijn wrote
    Southall wrote
    SWAT

shocked

I thik it's Goldenthal's most accessible, most enjoyable and most energetic score.
    I actually enjoy it over all his other ones. slant

Um, I think he's talking about the film? I distinctly remember this post.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    shocked Oops! shocked
    Wrong thread! I thought I was in the Now Playing one. shame

I never seen the film, sctually, but maybe I should.
    Michelle Rodriguez is in it. cool love
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    shocked Oops! shocked

Mmmmmmmm! lick Nay bad cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Oh, but she is.
    VERY bad.

(And I kinda like that shame )
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Martijn wrote
    shocked Oops! shocked

Just another generic bimbo with too much male-chauvinistic attitude.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Go stick up another Russian paper cut-out, you!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Waaay ahead ya.... love
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    Ah wait, didn't we already have RV thread Part II? Where has it gone? confused
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    You're right.
    And it's being actively used as well (though interestingly the subject of poster girls seems to spil over... dizzy )

I'm locking this one, to avoid confusion.

Continue here, folks!