• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeJan 27th 2008
    Christodoulides wrote
    ATONEMENT
    And the "Dunkirk sequence"? ....

Glad you love it, mate! The 'dunkirk sequence' is the amazingly long shot at the beach, where the boys walk past setpiece after setpiece (like the shooting of the horses, the soldiers choir...), and the camera just keeps rolling. It's one of the sequence's of the year!

And uh... do you now appreciate the score more? wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 27th 2008 edited
    Yes, of course i know which one the Dunkirk sequence was, i was thinking of it the whole night afterwards, it 's simply breathtaking! That was to express i have no words to describe it but obviously i didn't come along correctly.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 27th 2008
    BobdH wrote
    And uh... do you now appreciate the score more? wink

As for this, http://www.maintitles.net/forum/discuss … i/#Item_15 smile angelic
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJan 28th 2008
    A few more Blu-Rays over the last couple of days:

Happy Feet - I enjoyed this at the cinema, but probably even more on second viewing. I'm a sucker for this kind of film and, despite a few flaws it's really good.
    Hairspray - irresistible. Great songs, well-performed, an hilarious comic turn from Christopher Walken, some beautiful girls - can't find a complaint about it.
    3:10 to Yuma - I love westerns, and this is my favourite since the stupendous Open Range. Crowe and Bale are terrific, Marco Beltrami's score is wonderful... a great film. And a reference-quality Blu-Ray transfer.
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeJan 28th 2008 edited
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Back on the old forum, we had that topic where people posted links to special music tracks they thought might be worth sharing. One of you guys posted the link to a Doctor Who video about his home world Gallifrey. Just in case you´re interested, it´s here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWlWNM0dURs

And now I have to thank the guy who posted the link to that Gallifrey video. I don´t remember who it was, but I´ll be eternally thankful.

I do believe it was me who posted the link to this (or similar) clip featuring this track (This Is Gallifrey: Our Childhood, Our Home) from the Doctor Who - Season 3 CD (http://www.soundtrackcollector.com/cata … ieid=78546).

I think that this track will be my favourite cue from 2007.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  1. Southall wrote
    3:10 to Yuma - I love westerns, and this is my favourite since the stupendous Open Range. Crowe and Bale are terrific, Marco Beltrami's score is wonderful... a great film. And a reference-quality Blu-Ray transfer.

I've not seen this movie yet, but I was thinking of picking it up just for Beltrami's score in situ.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    ...And wait until you see things like Blink which will terrify you to death or Doomsday which will make you scream at your TV and use up any tears you´ve left.

The Blink episode is a brilliant example of how good Doctor Who can get. And Doomsday does make me cry at the end and that has a lot to do with Murray Gold's music and the vocals that were provided by Melanie Pappenheim.

Here's a link to her performance of "Doomsday" at the concert I was at in Cardiff where the BBC National Orchestra of Wales played a selection of tracks from Series 1 and 2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kbto5RUQN0

And here's the piece as heard in the episode Doomsday (at ~1:50): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30fB4Rs_peA
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Hot Fuzz - Witty, clever, and genuinely laugh-out-loud funny movie up 'till about twenty minutes before the end. The "Wild West In Stoke-Upon-Trent" is very funny (and oddly reminiscent of the old Avengers episode "Murdersville" ) for five minutes or so, but at the end of the day it's just *one* joke stretched for twenty minutes, where the overglossified Hollywood violence in itself isn't powerful enough to sustain its momentum.
    Still an amusing and very enteraining film for the better part.
    3.5 out of 5

The Machinist - Christian Bale, as usual, is superb (but what did he DO to his body?!? I don't care how dedicated you are to your craft: losing THAT much weight MUST be a health risk!) in a tense, moving thriller/drama that outweighs his slight predictability (it's in many ways a sort of hybrid between Memento and A Beautiful Mind) by excellent camerawork and -as said- wonderful acting by all involved. Engrossing throughout.
    4 out of 5
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  2. Watching THE MACHINIST felt like such an ugly experience because of Bale's physique. I don't think it's a great film in any case, but he definitely helps it get under the skin in a very unique way. I admire him for pulling such an extreme performance for a science fiction film - most thespians would only do this sort of thing for a prestige/Oscar bait style film. Bale respects a film whatever the genre.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I admire him for pulling such an extreme performance for a science fiction film

Perchance might you rather be referring to Equilibrium instead (which incidentally I thought was excellent, even though I'm well aware I'm only one of about five of such aberrants in the world wink ) ?
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Does anyone know if Microsoft is going to release a Blu Ray player for the 360?! There's the HD DVD one but it looks like Blu Ray is going to kill HD off.
  3. Martijn wrote

Perchance might you rather be referring to Equilibrium instead (which incidentally I thought was excellent, even though I'm well aware I'm only one of about five of such aberrants in the world wink ) ?

By 'extreme performance', I was referring to the extent he went to in loosing weight. Normally you only see it in 'honourable' fare like CAST AWAY (Tom Hanks) or COURAGE UNDER FIRE (Matt Damon).

He does act very well in EQUILIBRIUM though, I agree about that. The screenplay sadly chooses to rely more on shoot-em-ups towards the end when they had an actor who could have made a more internal story work perfectly.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    franz_conrad wrote

By 'extreme performance', I was referring to the extent he went to in loosing weight.

Yeah, that's why I highlighted "science fiction", rather than "extreme": The Machinist isn't a science fiction film by any stretch of the imagination, so I was just wondering if maybe we were referencing different flicks?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    franz_conrad wrote
    Martijn wrote

He does act very well in EQUILIBRIUM though, I agree about that. The screenplay sadly chooses to rely more on shoot-em-ups towards the end when they had an actor who could have made a more internal story work perfectly.

I thought Equilibrium started out as a very fine film, but it just completely lost me towards the end. Too many twists 'n turns, I'm afraid. Pretty good score, though!

I loved The Machinist! Very admirable attempt to create a Hitchcock/Lynch crossover, even though it's flawed. I predicted the ending as well, but I believe there are still some things I haven't figured out yet... probably concerning the fish in his refrigerator, or something like that?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I liked Equilibrium...very, very much and the score kicked ass. I think Martijn and me make the 2 out of 8 people in total out of the whole word who actually liked the movie biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Oh and HOT FUZZ, that's the wittiest movie i've seen for a looong while, i am glad you liked it Martijn!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Martijn wrote
    Hot Fuzz - Witty, clever, and genuinely laugh-out-loud funny movie up 'till about twenty minutes before the end. The "Wild West In Stoke-Upon-Trent" is very funny (and oddly reminiscent of the old Avengers episode "Murdersville" ) for five minutes or so, but at the end of the day it's just *one* joke stretched for twenty minutes, where the overglossified Hollywood violence in itself isn't powerful enough to sustain its momentum.

Agree! I also thought Shaun of the Dead had the same problem, of becoming the films it payed hommage to, yet in doing so, losing the feel of the rest of the film. Though they did revive it with some very good jokes afterwards!
  4. Martijn wrote
    franz_conrad wrote

By 'extreme performance', I was referring to the extent he went to in loosing weight.

Yeah, that's why I highlighted "science fiction", rather than "extreme": The Machinist isn't a science fiction film by any stretch of the imagination, so I was just wondering if maybe we were referencing different flicks?

It feels like sci-fi to me. The environment doesn't feel like our world at all, but some strange parallel universe where Spanish people everywhere speak English and lathe-work remains in high demand. I think that's the power of the Herrmannesque score - it so powerfully summons the associations of 50s science fiction.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Southall wrote

I've not seen this movie yet, but I was thinking of picking it up just for Beltrami's score in situ.

If you liked his three burials of the Miguel Estrada whatever dude, you'll love this, Alan. It's in the same vein although a bit more mature and developed; has some very beautiful, string-driven pieces in it as well.

As for OPEN RANGE (i haven't seen the movie nor do i ever plan to), as much as i liked 3:10 TO YUMA, Beltrami's score is way inferior to Kamen's gorgeous score for the former.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Christodoulides wrote
    As for OPEN RANGE (i haven't seen the movie nor do i ever plan to)

Don't.
    It's one of the few movies ever I've switched off half-way.
    Not because it was particularly bad, but its problem is that nothing even vaguely interesting happens at any time!
    If I want to see a movie solely about a couple of guys just talking about nothing relevant without displaying anything of their thoughts, emotions or motivations, it shouldn't be a western, and it sure as hell shouldn't have Kevin Costner in it.
  5. OPEN RANGE is a good old romantic western. punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    No, it's really not.
    If they would have talked Swedish it would have been a Bergman Western.
    Except Bergman is actually interesting.
  6. Shush now, you prattling knave. Naturally I meant 'in my opinion', which is impervious to your well known hatred of life. tongue biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I had no idea there could be someone in the world with so little heart that he didn't like Open Range. I fail to see what there is to not like.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I agree with Demetris about 3 Burials, another fine film. (Interestingly Beltrami says in the interview about 3:10 to Yuma that it was his first western. So what was 3 Burials?)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Christodoulides wrote
    As for OPEN RANGE (i haven't seen the movie nor do i ever plan to).

Do. It's a wonderful film, with classic character moments and a beautifully-done shoot-out sequence at the end. And a great score.
  7. Southall wrote
    I agree with Demetris about 3 Burials, another fine film. (Interestingly Beltrami says in the interview about 3:10 to Yuma that it was his first western. So what was 3 Burials?)

I think Beltrami might be saying that for the sake of Tommy Lee Jones, who probably likes to think of his film as a modern drama more than a western.

Historically THREE BURIALS is closer to the 'border town' genre of TOUCH OF EVIL and LONE STAR than a strict western.

However I defy any man who does not a consider a film with a blind man who asks to be killed a western. Only in a western could that happen.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Southall wrote

You mean this one? http://music.lionsgate.com/310/

Great to see how he creates the sounds of te score, in a Morricone experimental style. After using cactusses in Three Burials, there now is fishing strings. biggrin
    Kazoo
  8. FalkirkBairn wrote
    And here's the piece as heard in the episode Doomsday (at ~1:50): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30fB4Rs_peA

You are a mean and cruel person. Now I´m crying again, bastard. tongue
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    As for OPEN RANGE (i haven't seen the movie nor do i ever plan to).

Do. It's a wonderful film, with classic character moments and a beautifully-done shoot-out sequence at the end. And a great score.

Totally agree with James and Michael cool

Martijn switched off "half way" shows that he knows nothing about the film.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt