• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeDec 10th 2007 edited
    Well, at least you´ve read it. My knowledge on the saga is based on a german boardgame released two or three years ago that recaptured the legend, making the fight against the dragon the big finale of the game. Since I´ve never read it or saw another film about it, I think they had a quite original take on the whole legend, about what has been told, which parts have survived, and what "really" happened there in that cave and afterwards. As I said, its worth seeing it, I guess.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeDec 14th 2007 edited
    I AM LEGEND

Mixed feelings about this. It's basically a combination of 28 Days Later and Cast Away, which works well enough, but without the tension of the first nor the tragic weight of the latter which it so desperately reaches for. I love the fact that there's so little music though, and the music James did compose resembles the pacing of Arvo Part (I wonder if his music was used as a temp?), so it suits the picture quite well (also in the same vein as Silvestri's score did for CA). Plus, Smith appears to be charismatic and able enough to carry this film, ultimately even giving a believable emotional weight to his character.

Yet, the problem lies with the creatures and the writing. The first are just too CGI-ey to have any credibility, more resembling the creatures from The Mummy Returns than the monsters Danny Boyle came up with. This reduces the tension a lot, while Lawrence also seems incapable to really get and maintain a creepy mood. It's emotional, but never really tragic, nor suspenseful, let alone creepy. When Lawrence tries to give any meaning to it all in the final act, through some really forced conversations on God, he looses all the credibility he got left.

Another problem is the lack of weight the Big Evacuation leaves. It's supposed to be this intense, raw and traumatic experience for the main character, but instead of immersing the audience in it during the opening, Lawrence scatters fragments of it all throughout the film, while giving cliche tearjerk-lines to his characters. It all adds up to an entertaining enough and well build up blockbuster which really excells in the lack of action and the rare focus on build-up, but ultimately fails to leave in impression.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDavid
    • CommentTimeDec 21st 2007
    I finally got the chance to see No Country for Old Men earlier today. Truly an excellent piece of cinema. The entire movie is extremely thought provoking and there really are no clear cut answers. I'd really like to see it again to see what additional details I can pick up. Unfortunately the final scene came up on me unexpectedly and I missed some of what was said, so I'm not entirely sure how the film ended.

The acting was exceptional, particularly Javier Bardem who played the psychopathic killer Anton Chigurh. He gives one of the most chilling performances I've ever seen. His character's lack of humor, coldness, and determination was truly frightening. There's an amazing dialogue scene early in the film between him and a gas station attendant where I was on the edge of my seat the entire time.

One of the many things I found interesting about the movie was it's dead quiet and eerie atmosphere. Sound effects were minimal, much of the dialogue was soft and not far from whispers, and there was probably no more than 2.5 minutes of music in the entire film. There was around 30 seconds of source music at one point and then the other 2 or so minutes were just soft drones here and there. The absence of music certainly wasn't negative -- it really added to the chilling atmosphere.

All in all, I would highly recommend No Country for Old Men.
  1. We saw True Lies for the first time in ten years, I think. It´s amazing how this brainless action effects extravaganza jewel still works after 13 years. Lots of fun, though there are some moments that me cringe in the very same way they did in 1994.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeDec 24th 2007
    Watched The Terminator for the first time in years. Surprised how badly the film holds up. And I can't remember ever seeing anything with a more amateurish score. It's just like someone's digital watch plays bleepy music at random points.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeDec 24th 2007 edited
    Southall wrote
    Watched The Terminator for the first time in years. Surprised how badly the film holds up. And I can't remember ever seeing anything with a more amateurish score. It's just like someone's digital watch plays bleepy music at random points.

Really? Score aside, the film is a [cult] classic of sci-fi cinema easily. It'll remain one of my favourites anyway. The only thing that dampens the experience now is knowing where the franchise is presently.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I still enjoyed it. I just didn't remember some of the effects (specifically the prosthetics for Arnie, I guess) being so laughable, nor how many holes there are in the plot.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    The plot holes are too mind-bending to think about for too long, and that applies to the entire franchise. The whole time-travelling thing drives me crazy. Terminator 3 is the worst. However, I loved how they managed to justify the entire film with the following dialogue:

John Connor: We stopped Judgement Day.
    Terminator: You only postponed it. Judgment Day is inevitable.

crazy
  2. Saw about 30 minutes of THE BROTHERS GRIMM last night. A wretched, stupid, stupid, stupid film. Terry Gilliam has lost the plot.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    I still enjoyed it. I just didn't remember some of the effects (specifically the prosthetics for Arnie, I guess) being so laughable, nor how many holes there are in the plot.

A tight story with tight editing that just zips along all done on a small budget!

Brilliant film that still stands up today and Arnold was perfectly cast.

I don't care for the score as a listen but it works perfectly in the film.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    LSH wrote
    The plot holes are too mind-bending to think about for too long, and that applies to the entire franchise. The whole time-travelling thing drives me crazy. Terminator 3 is the worst. However, I loved how they managed to justify the entire film with the following dialogue:

crazy

Point out ANY time travel themed film that makes any sense!

Well?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    franz_conrad wrote
    Saw about 30 minutes of THE BROTHERS GRIMM last night. A wretched, stupid, stupid, stupid film. Terry Gilliam has lost the plot.

A sad decline indeed.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Timmer wrote
    LSH wrote

crazy

Well?

Fair point. But to be honest, The Terminator was the first film I saw with such a theme and it confused the f*ck out of me. I was only 6 though.

slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    franz_conrad wrote
    Saw about 30 minutes of THE BROTHERS GRIMM last night. A wretched, stupid, stupid, stupid film. Terry Gilliam has lost the plot.

I saw the whole of it last year and i'd agree with what you said about the first 30 minutes you watched, but in extension.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote

Thank you; 'cause some are saying that it's actually better than Beltrami's biggrin
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    LSH wrote

crazy

Well?

Back To The Future! biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Shrek 3: Boring, on auto pilot, not funny (gosh, they don´t realize that the farts / belches jokes are not funny anymore?). At least they had the decency not to edit 2 hours of film (even one hour 20 minutes seemed too long to me). And poor Harry Gregson Williams does what he can between song and song (I´m not sure, but I think there´s more music in the cd than in the picture).

Stardust: a nice surprise for me. I expected a kinda Narnia film, but fortunately is a very different approach to fantasy. Nice characters, great performances (even if Claire Danes british accent seemed to me a bit forced) and a nice score by Ilan Eshkeri, ripping off all he can (Lord of the Rings, Pirates of the Caribbean -twice and Dracula), but at the end fitting nice with the picture.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
  3. Marselus wrote
    Tommy_Boy wrote
    Indeed, the lack of songs is defintely a big thumps up for the effect in Gridiron Gang, and Rabin is one of those special composers who just knows how to approach sportmovies wink ahh that sounds like a Rabin nut talking here biggrin

Hehe....then we´re two Rabin nuts talking biggrin
    Sure it seems he gets inspired by sports movies (when the songs let him): not the most complex music in the world but highly effective in the movie and as a listening experience.

Cool, two Rabin nuts wink
    I just like his sound, have so from the very first second I heard Armaggeddon. And as for the sports score, he just has a knack for doing them. I guess his voice is just perfect for that genre

Hoping from more of him in the future
    He should do Goal 3 wink
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The other day I actually watched something really good - Tell No One. An intelligent, superior thriller. Anyone else seen it?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Marselus wrote
    Stardust: a nice surprise for me. I expected a kinda Narnia film, but fortunately is a very different approach to fantasy. Nice characters, great performances (even if Claire Danes british accent seemed to me a bit forced) and a nice score by Ilan Eshkeri, ripping off all he can (Lord of the Rings, Pirates of the Caribbean -twice and Dracula), but at the end fitting nice with the picture.

One of the worst films I've ever had the displeasure of seeing. I'll never get those 2 hours back... slant (Eshkeri's score is mixed WAY too loud in the final mix... horrible, just horrible.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Southall wrote

You're kidding!
    It's one of the cleverest, darkest, relentless, non-stop claustrophobic films I've ever seen. While I can imagine its impact in this day and age beinga lot less than it was in the eighties (a cold, neon-lit era, with the Cold War still raging, a palpable fear of global annihilation and an epic fin de siècle just around the corner), within or without its context it's consistently one of my top ten best films ever!
    It's certainly Schwartzenegger's best (which, admittedly, doesn't account for much, though).
    And in its context, I like the stand-off and detached score a LOT (though it's a hell of a nasty listen on CD).

RV: Mirrormask
    Another Neil Gaiman film. Not bad for a fairytale with some twists and turns, but one does ahve to be partial to McKean's very enigmatic set designs (I always did like his work on the covers for Gaiman's masterpiece work Sandman, so luckily it grabbed me. Not everyone's cup of tea, though, assuredly.)
    Interesting score that sounds like a stepped-up variety of Beal's work on the short-lived TV series Carnivale ...sort of crcus music arranged by Ry Cooder...
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  4. Southall wrote
    The other day I actually watched something really good - Tell No One. An intelligent, superior thriller. Anyone else seen it?

I was just talking to a friend of mine in England five minutes ago and he berated me for missing this one at cinemas. Sounds like it really was very good.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    LSH wrote

crazy

Sorry, but the time travel facts in Terminator 3 are so absolutely correct that I got goosegumps, though I needed a few days to figure it out. I still don´t know whether it happened on purpose, but this film is amazingly clever in regards to time continuity, time bending, loops and reloops. I´m very deep into time-traveling and time-bending stories since my early childhood, I just love that stuff. If you are able to accept some basic assumptions, then all this stuff works out just fine. T3 let me cringe at first, yes, but then I started thinking again and again, and the deeper I delved into its mechanics, the more I became amazed how immensely clever and correct that whole thing was constructed. If you really go into the depths of it and are prepared to follow some highly complex and serious logical bends and turns, it just turns out that this is the most clever time travel movie ever! As I said, I needed some hours before I discovered that, and then days of thinking and actually drawing some schematics out, with the final result that this movie was totally correct in each and every aspect. I still doubt the writers were aware of that. biggrin
  5. Perhaps a bit of detail as to how the thing is consistent would be good. We'd love to believe you, but there's nothing quite like knowing for yourself. wink
  6. Ehm... you realise it´s years since I thought this one out? And how long I needed to come up with it? And I don´t even remember the details of the trilogy... the only thing I remember is that it all worked out fine. biggrin I still remember it had something to do with the fact that the second movie actually axed out everything that happened in part 1 and started a second loop where part 3 became, actually, part 1. Things like that.
  7. Steven wrote
    Marselus wrote

One of the worst films I've ever had the displeasure of seeing. I'll never get those 2 hours back... slant (Eshkeri's score is mixed WAY too loud in the final mix... horrible, just horrible.)

how can a score be mixed too loudly? For all I know most scores are mixed too softly wink
    I love it when music soars over everything else, at least if its good music and Stardust is just that smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Tommy_Boy wrote
    Steven wrote
    Marselus wrote

how can a score be mixed too loudly? For all I know most scores are mixed too softly wink
    I love it when music soars over everything else, at least if its good music and Stardust is just that smile

It's overbearing, and overscored. That laughably unoriginal main 'heroic theme' is used too many times, for example anytime there's a sweeping shot or some dude on a horse! The film also tries to be funny when it clearly isn't. It's stupid and cringe-worthy. I hate it. With a PASSION.
  8. Steven wrote
    Tommy_Boy wrote
    Steven wrote
    Marselus wrote

It's overbearing, and overscored. That laughably unoriginal main 'heroic theme' is used too many times, for example anytime there's a sweeping shot or some dude on a horse! The film also tries to be funny when it clearly isn't. It's stupid and cringe-worthy. I hate it. With a PASSION.

I'll try to keep that in mind if I ever see the movie wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I wanted to say something about time travel but I feel a bit drunk so I'll just agree with Martijn on every aspect he mentioned on The Terminator.

Arnold's performance is PERFECT!
  9. We all watched the Doctor Who Christmas Special, "Voyage of The Damned", last night. I'm beginning to think that they've maybe over-stretched themselves and should really have taken a break now rather than at the end of the next series.

After a disappointing Series 3 climax, last night's Special was another big disappointment - and not very original. Heavy borrowings from The Poseidon Adventure.

Series 3 does have several big highlights though. My son, David, wanted to watch the episode that scared him the most: "Blink". A brilliant episode.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn