• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. The Ark theme IS in the Map Room. Both themes appear in the climax. Probably the clearest appearance of the Medallion theme is when Marion takes it out of hiding just before the Nazis come into her bar in Nepal.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeMay 19th 2008
    Bregje wrote
    Oh... maybe I confuse the ark theme with the medallion theme. Which is where??

Both themes are used in the Map Room cue actually, but the Ark theme is the one with the huge choir. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    So basically it's the same theme?
    One with and one without choir?

(Gawd, yer all nuts!)
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    But when do I best hear it on CD? I'm not going to watch the movie again right away!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeMay 19th 2008 edited
    Martijn wrote
    So basically it's the same theme?
    One with and one without choir?

(Gawd, yer all nuts!)

No, we hear the medallion theme at the beginning of the cue, just before the epic choir part (for the Ark theme). wink
    But as you said, it's best heard in the bar scene.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Anthony wrote
    But as you said

Wasn't me, but I'll take all the credit I can get. wink
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Martijn wrote
    Anthony wrote
    But as you said

Wasn't me, but I'll take all the credit I can get. wink

Shh. wink
  2. Bregje wrote
    But when do I best hear it on CD? I'm not going to watch the movie again right away!

For the Medallion theme: (which doesn't appear in full in the 'Map Room' to my knowledge)
    'The Medallion', 0:01-0:31
    'The Miracle of the Ark', 2:56-3:22. (My favourite moment.)
    This one doesn't appear often on album.

For the Ark theme:
    'The Map Room', 0:01-0:35, 1:14-1:28.
    'The Miracle of the Ark', 2:00-2:55.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Thanks! cheesy

I hear it. The medallion theme sounds to me like a more teasing variation on the ark theme. Like the medallion is the question and the ark the answer. The mystery and the revelation.

:overanalyzing to annoy D:

wink
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I'm still looking forward to hearing the skull theme for the first time! It's creepy apparantly! biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMay 19th 2008 edited
    Bregje wrote
    :overanalyzing to annoy D:

biggrin
    applause
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    It's : applause:.

FYI. angry cool biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Anthony wrote

FYI. angry cool biggrin

Lovely.
    Whatcha talkin'bout, Willis?
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Martijn wrote
    Anthony wrote

FYI. angry cool biggrin

Lovely.
    Whatcha talkin'bout, Willis?

http://www.shoutwire.com/comments/full/ … verywhere_

Do vat again and i'll bleedin' beltchyerr one!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Chavs?!?
    *sigh*
    Sic transit gloria mundi... rolleyes
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Out of lolcats? I haven't seen any for days. sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I just haven't been feeling very lolly lately...
  3. Timmer wrote
    Watched 2010 this afternoon, I'd forgotten just how good this film was.

I still have the score ( on LP ), and though the electronic stuff works in the film I'm not overly taken with it as a stand alone listen except for the orchestral track ( anyone here remember the track title? was it New Worlds? ) which IMO made the album purchase worth every single damned penny I paid, it really is that good! cool

p.s. Just in case you didn't know who composed it.....David Shire smile

Agreed on absolutely everything!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Watched 2010 this afternoon, I'd forgotten just how good this film was.

I still have the score ( on LP ), and though the electronic stuff works in the film I'm not overly taken with it as a stand alone listen except for the orchestral track ( anyone here remember the track title? was it New Worlds? ) which IMO made the album purchase worth every single damned penny I paid, it really is that good! cool

p.s. Just in case you didn't know who composed it.....David Shire smile

Agreed on absolutely everything!

biggrin beer

At last, something non-Indy related.

By the way, does anyone know what that orchestral track is called? ( my LP is in deep storage ), last night I replayed the end of the film twice just so I could hear that "New Worlds" theme.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Anthony wrote
    It's almost as if Spielberg was saying ''sorry'' for Doom and just did a re-hash of the first one. slant

Ya... that was basically it. And that's no joke and probably why people prefer Last Crusade over the UNDERRATED and WONDERFUL Temple of Doom. However, the Father and Son scenes in Last Crusade are on are on par with ANYTHING in the entire trilogy. Jeffrey Boam gave Connery and Ford some excellent dialogue.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  4. Timmer wrote
    By the way, does anyone know what that orchestral track is called? ( my LP is in deep storage ), last night I replayed the end of the film twice just so I could hear that "New Worlds" theme.

http://www.soundtrackcollector.com/cata … vieid=1007

Final track on the LP for 2010 is entitled "New Worlds Theme From "2010" (end title)".
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Timmer wrote

http://www.soundtrackcollector.com/cata … vieid=1007

Final track on the LP for 2010 is entitled "New Worlds Theme From "2010" (end title)".

Thanks Alan.

Nice to know my memory still "mostly" works wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  5. This weekend I saw three films that will stay with me for a long time...

FOR A FEW DOLLARS MORE (Leone) - Alas, there are no unseen Leone films left for me. I left this one for last, and it's very good. Nice to see the way the plot of the Dollars trilogy evolves. Stories aren't repeated across the three films.

THE PASSION OF JOAN OF ARC (Dreyer) - Criterion's release of this film hopefully will ensure that it is never lost again, as it was for so many years. Richard Einhorn's 'Voices of Light', composed to accompany the film in the early 90s, is one of the greatest film scores, and certainly one of the few that really exploits the potential for human voice in film music.

THE EDGE OF HEAVEN (Akin) - Score-less, but a wonderful film. The first great film I've seen from this year's releases. Akin - a German-Turkish director - impressed me with his intense relationship drama HEAD ON. This story has more grace and breadth, even if the way characters cross each other's paths seems a bit fanciful at times. (Hey, Kieslowski made it work.) Clearly the film that CRASH and BABEL aspired to be, but much much better than either.

Last weekend I saw three films that won't quite stay with me as powerfully as the above, but which are all wonderful films: SHORT FILM ABOUT LOVE (Kieslowski), MONSIEUR HIRE (Leconte) and HIGH PLAINS DRIFTER (Eastwood, actually this one is great!). Alan Renais's short documentary on the holocaust, NIGHT AND FOG also struck me as a major work in the history of the documentary. (Theodore Eisler's chamber music score is especially effective in refusing to mourn the holocaust - the ironic distance hurts more effectively than an elegaic treatment a la Williams' SCHINDLER'S LIST would have.)

This year I have seen more great films than I have in any year up to this point in my life. With all these great films available widely, I wonder why people assault themselves again and again with films they have strong reason to believe will disappoint them. Is the thrill of the new so hard to see through?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMay 27th 2008 edited
    RV: season 7 of The Westwing
    It's the final season, and man, I'm really going to miss this series.
    I can't remember any series ever holding my full and rapt attention for so long.
    For those two or three hermits out there who are unaware: this series chronicles the two terms of office of (fictitious) Democrat president Jed Bartlett in the broadest possible sense, from intense personal drama to huge geopolitical problems.

What makes this series stand apart from every single series I've ever seen or indeed heard of, is that the writing has been utterly spellbinding for the whole of the 8 years the series has been running, intelligent, fast and without any pampering or dumbing down to placate the weakest link: wanna follow what's going on, switch on those greay cells! The characters were uniformly believable and the acting beyond reproach.

The cast included a dapper Martin Sheen as president Bartlett and Rob Lowe as the presidential speech writer, bu the lesser known actors were just as impressive (and at times more so).
    I cannot sing the praises of this series enough. In the way of long-running TV series, it's the best thing I've seen EVER.
    I'm gonna miss it.
    A lot.

Series: 5 out of 5
    Music: Not much music going on, but W.G. Snuffy Walden's theme is very good!

The Good, The Bad And The Ugly
    It must be ten, fifteen years since I last saw this film and goddamn! I forgot how well I like it!
    I got the re-edited, extended (extended? It already was like three hours or so!) version on DVD and just got to watching it. And it's SO good! The pacing is so deliberate, so perfect. There simply isn't -in the whole three hours- a shot (heh! wink ) that's out of place.

The oddest thing is that the thing that works least for me are a couple of the Morricone cues: I simply don't like the March Without Hope and The Story Of A Soldier cues much...and they return several times. Oh well, the FANTASTIC main title and basically every single other musical cue more than makes up for that. smile
    Many, many memorable scenes, including the Captain's plea at the bridge, the graveyard, the Tuco hanging scene(s) and the gun-buying scene.
    Even though on a personal and dramatic level I like the second installment of the Dollars trilogy (For A Few Dollars More) better (and it's gratifying to see Franz' positive review right above mine), there's very little fault to find with this film: it's a classic and a beautiful, wonderful film.
    5 out of 5
    Music: 4.5 out of 5
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 27th 2008
    Agree with both Michael and Martijn on the Leone films.

How does that dialogue go exactly with Tuco in the bath tub in TGTBTU? "when you have to shoot, shoot...don't talk" Pure classic and shamefully ripped off in Van Helsing.
  6. I love the 'Story for a Soldier' and 'March without Hope' cues! That scene where Eastwood gives the young dying boy a cigar is just too moving for me. tear
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Martijn wrote
    RV: season 7 of The Westwing

I think the first four seasons of this are the greatest television ever made. It went seriously downhill after that, with Sorkin leaving, but remained at a high standard. I miss it!

Last night I started watching the Blu-Ray box of Damages with Glenn Close. So far so good.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    franz_conrad wrote
    That scene where Eastwood gives the young dying boy a cigar is just too moving for me. tear

Hmmm, like the scene where he's with Angel Eyes and has those little kittens playing in his hat, I've always felt that this scene was inserted to make him seem a little more "good"; show a softer side if you will. It doesn't entirely convince me.
    I think the matter-of-fact way in which he convinces Tuco to blow up the bridge (and, oh yeah, save like thousands of lives) is a lot more touching and convincing.
  7. I guess I don't see the scene with the dying soldier as being about Eastwood's character (though certainly Angel Eyes couldn't have featured in the scene, perhaps Tuco could have). It seemed it was more about this poor boy, one of the many who - unlike Blondie, Angel Eyes and Tuco - don't control their destiny. The soldiers don't do as they wish (ie pursue the gold) in their relatively moral way (good, bad or ugly). They are marched to their deaths, and it's surely intentional that the search for gold keeps intersecting their struggle, culminating in that most personalised casualty who is granted a final cigar. The film would feel like too much of an adventure without that scene.

Also, it does impact on the story in a way. Tuco slips away while Blondie tends to the soldier. (He looks over his shoulder to check on Tuco, and while doing so misses the soldier's last moment.) Blondie takes back the coat and the cigar afterwards - always practical. Tuco tries to make off to find the gold, becomes target practice for Blondie's cannon. He then does all the work in finding the gravestone while Blondie waits for him to do it. It pays to be 'good'.

I also like the ironic use of Song for a Soldier as Tuco is tortured. The soldiers' painful performance is counterpointed with Tuco's pain, and the irony is that Tuco's there by choice on a mission of personal advantage, unlike any of them.
  8. Oh, and this is all just my opinion of course. There's probably some scenes I could do without that would cut into what you like most about the film.