• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJun 6th 2008
    ^ Why?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeJun 6th 2008 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    ^ Why?

Hahaha...that´s what I´ve asked myself after watching it tongue

And the next one is One Missed Call (the american remake) to complete the perfect trash trio today.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    No, no, no, don't put "american" and "trash" in the same sentence, you bad, baaad boy! crazy angry
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Marselus wrote
    Jumper

What a piece of crap! Silly, boring, predictable... The only thing that could have saved this mess were the action sequences, but even those are horrible. I´ve seen monkeys with more chemistry than Christensen and the girl. Oh, and Samuel L. Jackson´s haircut, somebody please explain me that.

As for Powell´s score, it´s almost unnoticeable. It´s Powell composing while he sleeps. Totally uninspired and booooring (not that the visuals helped him though).

Yup. I wouldn't be as harsh about the film though (it was merely ok, but enjoyable). It was a kick-ass idea that felt really diluted. It would have been so much better if the Jumpers could only teleport places they could see (i.e a picture of the pyramids, a street shown on TV etc.). Now that would have made for some interesting chase sequences, especially if they're trying to get to race eachother to the same place.

And yes, it's one of Powell's weakest scores (probably second weakest after Chill Factor).
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeJun 7th 2008
    Speed Racer
    What a great time I had watching this one. If you know what you are about to watch, it´s a movie you´ll enjoy from the start until the end. Of course you have to "enter" into the movie since minute one, otherwise you can leave the cinema right at the beginning of the film. But if you´re able to enoy the CGI festival, the non-stop action and the silly plot, then you´re in for a ride! Oh, and Giacchino´s score works wonders, always shining in the best moments and not silenced by the sound effects (great job in the mixing). 3.5 out of 5

Before the Devil Knows You're Dead
    Great, great movie. The actors are superb, the direction is brilliant and the screenplay is amazing (how the drama keeps growing and growing until the tragic ending). 4.5 out of 5
  1. Film festival time!

Silent Light (Carlos Reygadas) - 5 out of 10

Persona (Ingmar Bergman - ON DVD) - 9 out of 10

Of Time and the City (Terence Davies - 9 out of 10)

Encounters at the End of the World (Werner Herzog - 8 out of 10)
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeJun 7th 2008 edited
    One Missed Call (american remake)
    Simply bad. They haven´t still realised those CGI ghosts are not scary but funny? 1 out of 5
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeJun 7th 2008 edited
    I saw these linked from the FSM messageboard... http://uk.youtube.com/user/Goldentusk

Some great songs!! Halloween will never be the same again.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Very good Doctor Who cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Dirty Harry

First time I've seen it after a friend reccomended it. Eastwood speaks in one-liners! Brilliant! Moving onto the other 4 now! cool

You feelin' lucky punk?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDavid
    • CommentTimeJun 8th 2008
    This Film Is Not Yet Rated

An interesting, albeit sloppily put together at times, documentary that details the strange and ludicrous decisions that go into the ratings of films here in the states. Just about any amount of violence is fine, but to see a pair of boobs -- OH! The horror!! I think the most interesting bit of information is that there are priests that sit on the panel of the ratings board, but they have absolutely no say in the rating. Supposedly they just sit and observe. Sure....

Shaun of the Dead

I saw Hot Fuzz some time ago, and just now got around to seeing this one. Great film full of wit and sarcasm. Didn't like it quite as much as Hot Fuzz, but it was certainly a great way to spend two hours.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeJun 8th 2008 edited
    David wrote
    Shaun of the Dead
    I saw Hot Fuzz some time ago, and just now got around to seeing this one. Great film full of wit and sarcasm. Didn't like it quite as much as Hot Fuzz, but it was certainly a great way to spend two hours.

Agree. I had great fun watching this film. Lots of homages to the classic zombies movies with sarcasm and irony.

Vantage Point
    Total fun for 80 minutes. The plot is as silly as entertaining and the editing is so good the film is thrilling and fun to follow. I try not to think about all the spaniard extras being performed by mexicans though (at least it is less bizarre than in Mission Impossible 2).
    Örvarsson score works good in the film, shining in the last minutes over the rest. Standard action writing, but really functional. 3 out of 5
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Anthony wrote
    Dirty Harry

First time I've seen it after a friend reccomended it. Eastwood speaks in one-liners! Brilliant! Moving onto the other 4 now! cool

You feelin' lucky punk?

'Scorpio' is one of the vilest, skin crawling villains ever put on screen.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    * NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN

As with THERE WILL BE BLOOD, here's an interesting twist on character identification and morality within a classically told story. And Javier Bardem's character must be one of the most chilly bad guys ever put on the screen.

* ALIEN VS. PREDATOR: REQUIEM

I hate the way they're diluting the ALIEN universe, robbing it of its mythic power and keeping some of its elements as mere superficial narrative tools. By all means, the film has entertainment value, but I refuse to integrate into the ALIEN universe, even though the end of the film clearly tries to do so.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeJun 8th 2008 edited
    WAZ
    Not the "Seven" copy-paste I was expecting or the "Seven" wanabe we´ve seen year after year.
    This is a dark and gritty thriller with a strong cast (Stellan Skarsgård delivers such a great performance) and a nice mixture of clichés and originality in its plot. Highly surprised. 3.5 out of 5
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Timmer wrote
    Anthony wrote
    Dirty Harry

You feelin' lucky punk?

Which makes it all the more funnier when he sees Callaghan on the bridge! Scorpio's expression is priceless! biggrin cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Anthony wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Anthony wrote
    Dirty Harry

You feelin' lucky punk?

Which makes it all the more funnier when he sees Callaghan on the bridge! Scorpio's expression is priceless! biggrin cool

Didn't the actor who played Scorpio go on to play Garak in Deep Space Nine? I love Garak! I love him so much. I feel like I want to put a picture of him somewhere.
  2. Southall wrote

Didn't the actor who played Scorpio go on to play Garak in Deep Space Nine? I love Garak! I love him so much. I feel like I want to put a picture of him somewhere.

Anything you say may be used against you in court. biggrin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 9th 2008
    Southall wrote
    Anthony wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Anthony wrote
    Dirty Harry

You feelin' lucky punk?

Andrew Robinson is just as creepy in the original HELLRAISER.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I viewed in my opinion one film for perhaps the worst of all time!!!! Horror of the Zombies is so terrible that you can't even laugh at it like the original Plan Nine From Outer Space. I wonder if Martijn or others have ever seen it.
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
  3. Timmer wrote
    Andrew Robinson is just as creepy in the original HELLRAISER.

Yeah, and that really made it difficult for me to like Garak at least a bit. It came over time, but, hell, is this guy scary...
  4. More festival screenings...

The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp (Powell and Pressburger) - 9 out of 10

Alexandra (Sokurov) - 9 out of 10
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Carpenter's the thing.

I recently bought the DVD.

Rob Bottin effects are great, but I still think Carpenter is one of the most overrated directors in the whole story.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Nautilus wrote
    Carpenter's the thing.

Rob Bottin effects are great, but I still think Carpenter is one of the most overrated directors in the whole story.

I agree with you Jordi, this guy has made some serious stinkers, however, THE THING isn't one of them, it's dripping in paranoic atmosphere and it's brilliant watching REAL effects that aren't ephemeral and can be touched. Morricone's score is perfect!

Have you seen the original 1950's film The Thing From Another World?
    •  
      CommentAuthorjedizim
    Went and saw Kung Fu Panda over the weekend...laughed myself silly. Really enjoyed this movie...great visuals, great soundtrack, great voice work. I will be buying this one when it comes out, no doubt about that!!
    ---- Well, I wouldn't argue that it wasn't a no holds barred, adrenaline fueled thrill ride. But, there is no way you can perpetrate that amount of carnage and mayhem and not incur a considerable amount of paperwork.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Timmer wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    Carpenter's the thing.

I agree with you Jordi, this guy has made some serious stinkers, however, THE THING isn't one of them, it's dripping in paranoic atmosphere and it's brilliant watching REAL effects that aren't ephemeral and can be touched. Morricone's score is perfect!

Have you seen the original 1950's film The Thing From Another World?

Yeap I saw it. it is really great, and it's really surprising how Scott and Carpenter got a lot of elements from a so old movie.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Nautilus wrote
    Carpenter's the thing.
    ...but I still think Carpenter is one of the most overrated directors in the whole story.

"Assault on Precinct 13", "Halloween", "The Fog", "Escape from New York", "Big Trouble in Little China" and "The Thing" (one of the best, if not the best, sci-fi/horror movie ever). Yeah, he is overrated rolleyes
  5. Saw this weekend´s episodes of Doctor Who and Battlestar Galactica... both great.

Next week, Galactica´s last episode for some time promises to be the cliffhanger I was afraid of, and Who has only four episodes left this season... unbelievable... I hope for some serious shit in both series... biggrin
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeJun 10th 2008
    The Incredibles

Love this movie. They nailed the whole island setting. Absolutely perfect!

And then Giacchino's score..!

cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 11th 2008
    Anthony wrote
    The Incredibles

Love this movie. They nailed the whole island setting. Absolutely perfect!

And then Giacchino's score..!

cool

A favourite! Great film! Great score! cool