• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJun 17th 2008
    Scribe wrote
    Thor wrote
    * THE HAPPENING
    Marky Mark makes Adam Sandler look like Laurence bloody Olivier in this one, and the plot really went nowhere (what the hell was up with that crazy old woman thing?!? Talk about desperate and completely irrelevant plot points!).

Irrelevant plot points? This is why Shyamalan films polarize audiences so dramatically...some people just don't see what lies beneath the surface. There was (at least the way I saw it, and find it only logical that it was intentional) a very strong subtext in the film about exploring the way people people react to disaster. And combined with the theme of driving the characters farther and farther from civilization (they started out in New York City!), it only made sense that they end up stuck with someone so far from civlization that they don't even know the disaster is occurring. I knew the old woman scene was coming, from reading reviews, and I knew everyone had characterized it has pointless and irrelevant, and yet when I saw the film, I just couldn't understand how anyone missed what Night was trying to show by bringing them to that old woman's house. They go from city to train to small town to even smaller town to rednecks in a boarded up house (their number of companions decreasing all the time) and finally to the old woman who is even MORE secluded than the rednecks who shot the kids. A perfectly logical progression, and when you recognize all these themes and subtexts and how they all play together, it turns the film from what is on the surface a rather silly horror movie, to what is actually (to me anyway) pure ART.

And don't even get me started on Lady in the Water wink

Very, very good points there mate!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Ah I love debate....the people who already agree applaud your good points, and the people who disagree will never change their minds no matter how good you think your points are... smile
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Alatriste

I know, a little late.

I avoid to watch this movie. I hated this one, because spanish filmakers always blame Hollywood for the bad bussines of Spanish movies, and then they contract a Hollywood Actor for one of his iconic Characters....What the fu_k!!!

But I wanted to hear Baños music.

So...What is that?

Baños music is mixed very low and it is bad used (when it's used).

The movie is awful. VERY, VERY BAD DIRECTED. it's one of this FAILED movies where the director doesn't know how narrate the history and he doesn't know how direct actors or action pieces.
  1. Scribe wrote
    Ah I love debate....the people who already agree applaud your good points, and the people who disagree will never change their minds no matter how good you think your points are... smile

Which is why I decided to step away from the debate after my first statement. It is pointless. People like you and me (and Demetris, and...) get Shyamalan´s movies (or at least most of them), others don´t, and that will never change. As long as he makes his money and continues to do his movies the way he does, I am happy. He will just have to live with all those naysayers.
  2. I believe that persuasion is possible by means of argument. But not on Thor. He has the necessary rhetorical tools to defend all his instincts tooth and nail.

I haven't seen the film. I wasn't going to rush to it, but now I think I should, because if it keeps getting a whallop like it has got just about everywhere, it's not going to stay in cinemas for long.

I did see Powell and Pressburger's BLACK NARCISSUS tonight. Bloody masterpiece. Shame very few members of this board will ever be in danger of seeing it. dizzy
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJun 17th 2008 edited
    franz_conrad wrote

I did see Powell and Pressburger's BLACK NARCISSUS tonight. Bloody masterpiece. Shame very few members of this board will ever be in danger of seeing it. dizzy

I've seen it! Yeah, I really like the bit where that [possibly edited]guyette[/possibly edited] did that thing and it moved the story forward. That was awesome.
  3. It was a she. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    That's what I said. Jeez.
  4. Anyway, check it out in a cinema if you ever get a chance and feel your tolerance for vintage cinema strengthening. There was once a time when I would have found this film something for girls, but tonight this was the best thing I've seen since NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN and KAOS.

I can't believe the soundtrack has never been released in any form.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Steven wrote
    franz_conrad wrote

I've seen it! Yeah, I really like the bit where that guy did that thing and it moved the story forward. That was awesome.

Nice try...except there's nary a guy in sight in the film. wink

I think though Michael, that you'll find many people here have seen the film.
    I can vouch for myself, Tom and Timmer (and now you), which is already a better percentage than in my entire circle of friends and family taken together!

Re: Timmer's Top 5 TV series:
    - Babylon 5
    Despite some so-so performances, still the pinnacle of epic sci-fi TV story telling. Ground breaking in many aspects.
    - The West Wing
    Best TV series I've ever seen in any way. It does imply a keen interest in the political processes of the USA, though!
    - I, Claudius
    The penultimate truth that really all one needs to keep one absolutely glued to the screen for hours and hours and hours is NOT expensive sets, millions of extras and superduper special effects, but just a bunch or really good actors.
    - House Of Cards
    Much of the above applies, with more than just a touch of what I said about West Wing (ported to UK politics) and an absolutely devillishly good dialogue writer
    - The Avengers (The Mrs. Peel years)
    Yeah, it's old. But it's the very best what TV had to offer in the sixties, with some of the most exciting, most intelligent and most clever stories thoughout. And it has never, ever lost its considerable charm.

Up and coming:
    - Battlestar Galactica
    Very impressive and very intelligent
    - Doctor Who
    Some meh episodes are more than offset by the very, very fine production values and the continuiing electrifying performances.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  5. Martijn wrote

I can vouch for myself, Tom and Timmer (and now you), which is already a better percentage than in my entire circle of friends and family taken together!

Five forum members out of... how many? (And what was that average age again?)
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    franz_conrad wrote
    Anyway, check it out in a cinema if you ever get a chance and feel your tolerance for vintage cinema strengthening. There was once a time when I would have found this film something for girls.

I never thought so. Ever.
    The performances are way too strong for that. Kathleen Byron's eyes have never ceased to haunt me. What a film. What photogrpahy.

I can't believe the soundtrack has never been released in any form.

It has, in a very odd, very limited CD pressing that actually just takes excerpts from that film's original sound track other Archer Production. I wouldn't recommend chasing it.
    Just watch the film again. smile

Oh, and Steven, don't wait until it's in a cinema (odds against which are astronomical, I would think): it works just as well on TV. Just SEE it. in any way, shape or form.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    franz_conrad wrote
    Five forum members out of... how many? (And what was that average age again?)

That would be four out of eight regulars, + 1.
    Works for me, percentage-wise. smile
  6. Am I counted as a regular? cheesy
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    <gestures magnanimously>
  7. There are quite a few names I see here all the time who surely haven't seen BLACK NARCISSUS. Just because he's always game to be used as a negative example, let's take Nautilus... wink

NP: Amerika - who was it who said that Broughton exceeded Poledouris? There's a space for his head on my wall.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    franz_conrad wrote
    There are quite a few names I see here all the time who surely haven't seen BLACK NARCISSUS. Just because he's always game to be used as a negative example, let's take Nautilus... wink

YOU, Sir, are just a contrary, belligerent...
    NP: Amerika - who was it who said that Broughton exceeded Poledouris? There's a space for his head on my wall.

...man of infinite taste and excellent fancy, whom I am proud to count amoung my dearest held friends. Did I say 'friend'? Antipodean brother I meant, of course.
  8. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Get a room you two. And I prefer Broughton to Poledouris... I look forward to seeing this wall of yours Michael.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Steven wrote
    I prefer Broughton to Poledouris...

Get a chamber.
    Prefeably one of those where gas pellets are regularly dissolved in acid.
    angry
  9. Steven wrote
    Get a room you two. And I prefer Broughton to Poledouris... I look forward to seeing this wall of yours Michael.

I prefer to have the heads facing out from the wall, so there's a good chance you wouldn't unfortunately. What's your peripheral vision like?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Steven wrote
    franz_conrad wrote

I've seen it! Yeah, I really like the bit where that guy did that thing and it moved the story forward. That was awesome.

Nice try...except there's nary a guy in sight in the film. wink

- Babylon 5
    Despite some so-so performances, still the pinnacle of epic sci-fi TV story telling. Ground breaking in many aspects.
    - The West Wing
    Best TV series I've ever seen in any way. It does imply a keen interest in the political processes of the USA, though!
    - I, Claudius
    The penultimate truth that really all one needs to keep one absolutely glued to the screen for hours and hours and hours is NOT expensive sets, millions of extras and superduper special effects, but just a bunch or really good actors.
    - House Of Cards
    Much of the above applies, with more than just a touch of what I said about West Wing (ported to UK politics) and an absolutely devillishly good dialogue writer
    - The Avengers (The Mrs. Peel years)
    Yeah, it's old. But it's the very best what TV had to offer in the sixties, with some of the most exciting, most intelligent and most clever stories thoughout. And it has never, ever lost its considerable charm.

Up and coming:
    - Battlestar Galactica
    Very impressive and very intelligent
    - Doctor Who
    Some meh episodes are more than offset by the very, very fine production values and the continuiing electrifying performances.

Excellent top 5 there Martijn, except for The West Wing but only because I've never seen it.

Do you know who's RETURNING in Doctor Who this coming week? And NO, I'm not talking about young Billie Piper wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    And NO, I'm not talking about young Billie Piper

In that case I don't care. wink

No, who?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    And NO, I'm not talking about young Billie Piper

In that case I don't care. wink

No, who?

Davros
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote

Nah, Amerika is ages beyond.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote
    Steven wrote

Ages beyond what I wonder? Anything written by Broughton? Not a chance. It's good, but not that good.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Martijn wrote

I don't know what it is about tv but I think it is far more "of the moment" than film and I frequently find that I watch things at the time and think they're wonderful and then see them a while later and wonder what I got so worked up about.

To that end... at the moment I would say my favourite tv shows would be:

The West Wing - for the reasons Martijn said. The first four seasons are phenomenal.
    The Sopranos - it went on a bit too long (but then the final half-season was wonderful, making up for the weak half-season which went before) but I found it to be completely gripping.
    Six Feet Under - perhaps a bit too sensationalist at times, but in general very strong, frequently extremely witty (won't make sense to anyone who hasn't seen it, but the "Why would someone send us excrement in the mail?" scene is as uproarious as anything I've seen) and so beautifully acted. And it's got my favourite tv theme in years.
    Frasier - again it went on too long but it's the finest sitcom I've seen. On one level it's a gloriously biting account of snobbery... and yet at the same time the inner snob in me can come out and identify with it. Quite brilliant.
    Anything with David Attenborough in - say no more.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Steven wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Steven wrote

Ages beyond what I wonder? Anything written by Broughton? Not a chance. It's good, but not that good.

Agreed. It's quite good, but wouldn't be in my Broughton top ten.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Steven wrote

Pretty much yeah; i never got around to actually liking Broughton that much.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    Davros

shocked You're SHITTING me! shocked