• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 27th 2007
    franz_conrad wrote
    Yesterday I witnessed... NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN.

Man, you can't stop what's coming. How true is that.

I said to myself two days ago that it seems people just can't translate the real power of novels onto the screen. (After seeing THE GOLDEN COMPASS.) But THIS is something else all right. This is the greatest film the Coen Brothers have made, by some measure. Rich in dialogue, in scene construction, in sound design, in subtext. And the ending is perfect.

This I must see!

I've enjoyed most of the Coen's output, some of which IMO has been brilliant and inspired. The only black mark for me being a pointless remake of the classic Ealing black comedy The Ladykillers.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. If you remember the final image of the crow on the bridge at the end of LADYKILLERS, there's a sly moment when the Coens symbolically 'kill' that film in NO COUNTRY.

There are moments of humour here, but this is pretty stern stuff overall.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeDec 29th 2007
    POLTERGEIST

Classic film, classic score. Perfect late night viewing!
  2. Music & Lyrics

God help me! But sometimes you have to do one for the Ladies... wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 29th 2007
    franz_conrad wrote
    If you remember the final image of the crow on the bridge at the end of LADYKILLERS, there's a sly moment when the Coens symbolically 'kill' that film in NO COUNTRY.

There are moments of humour here, but this is pretty stern stuff overall.

Thanks Michael, I'll look out for that when I see it.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeDec 30th 2007
    EMPIRE STRIKES BACK

By far the best Star Wars movie. The battle of Hoth is the Saving Private Ryan of SCI.FIC!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Nautilus wrote
    EMPIRE STRIKES BACK

By far the best Star Wars movie. The battle of Hoth is the Saving Private Ryan of SCI.FIC!

shocked

Wow. I completely agree.... excellent analogy.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeDec 30th 2007 edited
    The IT Crowd

shocked shocked

Long time since I´ve laughed so much with a comedy show. So far I´ve watched five episodes of the first season and I think it´s simply amazing, being the fifth specially outstanding (the ghost movies homage in it is simply great).
    Man this Brits keep making the best intelligent / ironic / subtle humour in the world, since the "Blackadder" ´til now. Does somebody know why the did only two seasons of 6 episodes each?

By the way, the main title music is simply addictive.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Music & Lyrics

Tell me about it. beer There haven't been a Hugh Grant movie out there that I haven't seen far too many times. Yesterday we saw "Bridget Jones' diary".

Peter vomit
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    plindboe wrote
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Music & Lyrics

Tell me about it. beer There haven't been a Hugh Grant movie out there that I haven't seen far too many times. Yesterday we saw "Bridget Jones' diary".

Peter vomit

I REALLY LIKE THIS MOVIE! and I'm a macho... tongue

hugh and Drew has a great chemistry and a great sense for humour! crazy
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Just watched THE SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION for about the 5th or 6th time.

One of THE greatest movies ever made IMO, an emotionally charged film that leaves you on a feel good high.

10 / 10
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris

ZODIAC
    Ok, can someone really explain to me without "you don't get the true meaning of the 70's philosophy" smarty comments what's so special about this loooooooooooongggggggggg and sllooooowwwwww film? Yes it was nice to see a "traditional" and admittedly clever crime investigation with able build-up of little bits here and bits there, all away from the fast-food rushed and technologically edgy stuff we've used to see in the last 10 years or so and the dense dialogue element that drove the film was refreshing and something we rarely see these days; but for what? I mean can somebody truly justify the ridiculously long duration and the absolute nothingness of the ending? I felt cheated and ridiculed after i realized I just sat through an almost 3-hour meaningless parade of big-names for nothing. If you take the flashy names out, what does it REALLY remain there to benefit from?
    p.s. the score was killer indeed
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Christodoulides wrote

ZODIAC
    Ok, can someone really explain to me without "you don't get the true meaning of the 70's philosophy" smarty comments what's so special about this loooooooooooongggggggggg and sllooooowwwwww film? Yes it was nice to see a "traditional" and admittedly clever crime investigation with able build-up of little bits here and bits there, all away from the fast-food rushed and technologically edgy stuff we've used to see in the last 10 years or so and the dense dialogue element that drove the film was refreshing and something we rarely see these days; but for what? I mean can somebody truly justify the ridiculously long duration and the absolute nothingness of the ending? I felt cheated and ridiculed after i realized I just sat through an almost 3-hour meaningless parade of big-names for nothing. If you take the flashy names out, what does it REALLY remain there to benefit from?

I was interested in the movie for his almost Documental sense.

I don't thnk I will watch again in a lot of time.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    Just watched THE SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION for about the 5th or 6th time.

One of THE greatest movies ever made IMO, an emotionally charged film that leaves you on a feel good high.

10 / 10

Hell yes! I challenge anyone to think of a computer game that even comes remotely close to the power of this film. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Martijn wrote
    I Am Legend
    Will Smith is the last man alive in the world. Will Smith looks pained. Will Smith looks troubled. Will Smith looks buff. A lot of CGI Gollums come up to eat him, but fail, as he isn't the last: there's a girl whom God has given coordinates to man's last hide-out in Vermont. Will looks pained. Will looks troubled. Will looks buff. There are fights with Gollums. Will blows up (but very pained, troubled and buffly) and girl finds hide-out. The End.
    Absolute shite and a complete waste of time, without any redeeming virtues whatsoever.
    So of course a sequel apparently is already in the making.
    1.5 out of 5

I saw I Am Legend. And I love it. But I think your description of it is so entirely hilariously perfect that I can't argue with it! biggrin
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  3. Christodoulides wrote

ZODIAC

So what you're saying is if there had been an answer to the murder, as opposed to an unresolved hunt, the 2 and a half hour film would have felt more worthwhile?

I think you don't really get the meaning of the 70s philosophy... tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    No, even if it was more direct, i still can't see what makes this film so special. If it were for another, lesser-known director and cast, i strongly doubt anyone would ever care.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I partly agree with Demetris. For me, it felt as though the whole build up told me there would be a resolution by the end. Perhaps I'm so used to the general structure of Hollywood films that this came as a surprise.

I liked it a lot though, very good film.
  4. plindboe wrote

Strangely, I like most Hugh Grant movies, but some of them are unbearable (as is Bridget Jones, for example; even my wife hates it). I absolutely adore Love Actually, though. Fantastic movie if you´re in the right mood.

Nautilus wroteI REALLY LIKE THIS MOVIE! and I'm a macho... tongue

There you´re right. But beyond that, the movie had no charms whatsoever.
  5. We just watched StarGate (the movie) again. My daughter was totally in awe and loved it. And I had some fun too. Well, no one does patriotism as pompous as Emmerich. wink I have to ignore that to enjoy his movies, but then they are nice and easy going popcorn.
  6. Christodoulides wrote
    If it were for another, lesser-known director and cast, i strongly doubt anyone would ever care.

Well of course. I know this is not quite what you meant to say, but I agree. The cast and director lift it to the level it's at. A different film-maker wouldn't have made such a good film, nor would different actors have inhabited their characters so well. I would add the screenwriter, the editor, the sound designer, the production designer, etc etc.

To me, it's a very rich study of how males can spend their lives in obsessive pursuits for monsters they will never find. A story about people being lured in by a puzzle, giving up years of their lives and their families, and ultimately having nothing to show for the obsession. I find that story very gripping (hey - it doesn't have to be a serial killer, it could be film score collecting), and I appreciate the historical fidelity of the film-maker too -- this film is almost a thesis on who the killer might have been and why he was never caught for it. I remember when I saw it, it came after a time when so few films about policemen (except perhaps Miami Vice, ironically) had paid much attention to how policemen really work - ZODIAC sure gets that bit right.

Anyway, if the story doesn't really resonate with you, the film's not for you, it's as simple as that. Try not to feel as though it's your fault, or a fault of the film. It's just not a story for everyone.
  7. Steven wrote
    I partly agree with Demetris. For me, it felt as though the whole build up told me there would be a resolution by the end. Perhaps I'm so used to the general structure of Hollywood films that this came as a surprise.

I liked it a lot though, very good film.

To me there is a resolution. Graysmith looks into the eyes of Arthur Leigh Allen and has his 'moment' of knowing he's found the guy. That is the payoff, and certainly the film-maker thinks Arthur Leigh Allen did it. But he has to be true to history - which is that Allen was never tried or convicted for it. It was never proven by the only two things that mattered in court, fingerprints and a murder weapon.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 31st 2007 edited
    Hey, I'm with you, Demetris. I found ZODIAC to be an almost "anti-filmical" film, communicating most of the pertinent information through verbal language (dialogue) rather than what the medium REALLY excels at - audiovisuals. I'm saying this as a MASSIVE Fincher fan, and I thought it had quite a few highlights (including the visceral murders or the basement scene), but overall an equally MASSIVE disappointment and what I really got from it was a a bore and/or a headache.
    I am extremely serious.
  8. Thor wrote
    ...and I thought it had quite a few highlights (including the visceral murders or the basement scene)...

It's ironic that you found the 'visceral murders' to the be highpoint of the film, since Fincher was obviously struggling not to make a gratuitous serial killer film.
    I think your criticisms are very different from Demetris's though, and I won't fight them here, since I already won that argument over on the FSM message board. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    franz_conrad wrote
    Thor wrote
    ...and I thought it had quite a few highlights (including the visceral murders or the basement scene)...

It's ironic that you found the 'visceral murders' to the be highpoint of the film, since Fincher was obviously struggling not to make a gratuitous serial killer film.
    I think your criticisms are very different from Demetris's though, and I won't fight them here, since I already won that argument over on the FSM message board. biggrin

Yeah, Demetris isn't that bothered with the whole dialogue/information thing as I am, I guess, but seems like we both got bored by it.

And we all know that I was right in that FSM debate. smile
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeDec 31st 2007
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    plindboe wrote

Strangely, I like most Hugh Grant movies, but some of them are unbearable (as is Bridget Jones, for example; even my wife hates it). I absolutely adore Love Actually, though. Fantastic movie if you´re in the right mood.

Nautilus wroteI REALLY LIKE THIS MOVIE! and I'm a macho... tongue

There you´re right. But beyond that, the movie had no charms whatsoever.

I suppose I like Hugh Grant, and the movies he's in too too, I'm just a guy so I have to pretend I hate them.

Peter smile

PS. Don't tell anyone!
  9. I won´t.
  10. Thor wrote
    And we all know that I was right in that FSM debate. smile

wink

One film that certainly was crippled by dialogue was THE GOLDEN COMPASS. I saw it the other day and just had my head in my hands. There won't be another chance to tell that story for a long time, but if they ever do, they should get a film-maker to make it.

You should see NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN though. Not much dialogue in that, and what is there is pretty rich language, but the blocking of the montage and sound design are perfection. The Coens have never done better - and I love a lot of their earlier work.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 31st 2007
    Watched THE BOURNE ULTIMATUM this evening and loved it!

Mel said she liked the score but was sure I had it ( I haven't ), had to point out that she heard Identity or Supremacy. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote
    Watched THE BOURNE ULTIMATUM this evening and loved it!

Mel said she liked the score but was sure I had it ( I haven't ), had to point out that she heard Identity or Supremacy. cool

I enjoy it but it didn't WOW me like the previous two films. I found that the technological angle took away from the film and the series. By that, I mean that no matter where Bourne was in the world the CIA was able to locate him by hacking into some sort of technology (cell phone, security cam, etc) with easy and find him. The espionage/suspense element was taken out of the film with this. However, the Waterloo section of the film was wonderfully paced and edited.

Another turn off was the shaky cam and rapid fire editing. Why can't directors these days just leave the camera still and let us see what's going on without cutting to a new shot every 0.3 seconds? And almost every shot in this movie was hand held... and done very poorly. I don't mind hand held but it seems like it was used, especially during action sequences, to cover up poorly choreographed fight scenes and chases. It seems like hundreds of random images all cut together to hopefully create a more intense scene but for me it's was amateur and incredibly distracting!!! People prone to motion sickness should stay far away from this movie.

Oh ya... Powell's score was very good but Supremacy is easily the best of the series.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!