• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDavid
    • CommentTimeJun 29th 2008 edited
    I saw Wall-E last night as well, and as of now I think it's Pixar's best effort. This could change after awhile, but it's truly magnificent. I disagree with Anthony and think the lack of dialogue enhanced the film for me. The fact that the characters are so lovable without saying more than two or three words is a testament to the skill that went into their development.

Although it's a fun movie, it's also quite bleak. The messages in Wall-E concerning the environment, our over reliance on technology, and the growth of global corporations involvement in government are evident and very strong from open to close. In the middle of this message is a simple and sweet love story between two robots that is truly heartwarming.

Visually the movie is stunning. The sequence where Wall-E first blasts into space is a real highlight when juxtaposed against the dystopian Earth. This scene, as well as many others, is helped greatly by Thomas Newman's score. I do agree with Anthony that some of Newman's music in the film is depressing, and rightfully so -- especially the opening in "2185 A.D.".

All in all, this is a must see and will easily be one of the best films of the year.

Also, the short film before the movie is hilarious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Just saw WALL•E this afternoon. Pixar has created yet another masterpiece; this one's definitely some of their best work yet! smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJun 29th 2008
    Reading your opinions and all manner of general consensus on this film, it seems Anthony is more picky and hard to please than I first imagined! tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Well, the summer season started so everything on TV sucks right now...

When I watch TV I mostly watch Discovery or something, I really like Mike Rowe's Dirty Jobs early in the evening, makes me laugh out loud. Mythbusters are on their 27th re-run but still entertaining when there's nothing else. Then there's the Survivor programmes and we have a DVD recorder which is stull full of shows from this year we didn't see yet (some Medium, Ghost Whisperer, House and Bones. Funny thing about Bones is we recorded them all but haven't watched a single episode yet. We could do a marathon then). But the disc is almost empty, so then we'll move on to movies on DVD I guess.

Good thing about summer is there's more time and opportunity for reading.

Last week I caught the movie Ever After on TV. It had just started, didn't know what movie it was, but I just sat down and kept watching till the end. I thought it was rather entertaining and watching Drew Barrymore is never boring. I thought it was a funny movie. Probably a real chick's movie, but anyway...
    wink

Oh, and we have been following a bit of Derek Ogilvie, the medium. He had a show in the first season which I thought wasn't that interesting at the time. Then he came to the Netherlands and did readings with children and dead people and although I'm very skeptical and always careful when it's a television show, I just keep thinking what if he can really do what he says he does...

Also I've noticed now that spirituality is a trend, these kind of shows are getting popular. There was also a show 'the sixth sense' where people who claimed to be a medium had to do all sorts of tests and some stuff was really impressive. Since relatives of the deceased were cooperating and were impressed too that made it all very believable.

Is this trend happening on TV in other countries too? More openness towards the unknown because people are searching for 'something' out there?
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Incredible Hulk

A very well done summer action flick.

With more soul and more action than the Ang lee film.

it starts with a lot of rythm, and it keeps the interest in his whole running time.

Violent without being too explicit, almost as modern as a Bourne film, smart enought to don't insult your inteligence, the acting is great, the FX efficient....what a great time!

Far better than the overrated Iron man, wich i still think it seems more a TV film than a theatrical realease. (anyway I laughed with the surprise at the end of Hulk )

The score is generic, but it has some Armstrong touches and a motif for hulk, but the great thing it works very, very well in the movie. From the Main titles music (where terrier explains more better the banner transformation in 2 minuts than Ang lee in 2 hours..) to the final Battle.
  1. Leterrier, not terrier biggrin
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  2. I had a busy weekend smile

- Disturbia: ahhh the teenage look upon Rear Window, but I liked it. I also must say that the movie took a slow pace instead of directly digging into the whole (murdering neighbor thing). The opening is phenomenal, Shia's quite frankly brilliant again in his teenage hyper active role and the whole build up may have its "been there" moments, but it still works. And then it shows that the director did his best to hide the cliche's. Effective score as well from Zanelli (7 out of 10 for the movie)

- Ladyhawke: typical adventurous fun (Richard Donner) of the mid '80. Rutger Hauer, Michelle Pfeiffer and Matthew Broderick are endearing and show a remarkable subdued side of their talents. The movie may move a bit on the slow pace, but it works in building the character development. I love the opening musical credits too. For a one time deal, a nice movie. (7 out of 10)

- White Noise 2: The Light: I love Nathan Fillion ever since he starred in Serenity, and here he does a nice job as well. But what really surprised me here in this movie is the build up of the story. What looked like 10 minutes in the movie and already everything is happening sure fooled me. Only then the whole plot had to begin, I love it when they go into detail into the Christian good vs evil plot, and it sort of makes everything that's happening totally believable. The effects are really good too, the shock moments are startling and as said the build up is really good, makes the whole story understandable. If you consider that this is the sequel to the failed first movie, I'll bet a lot of people neglected to see this one. Ps, the stunt sequences are excellent in this film. Really good job guys. Totally surprised me (7 out of 10)

That's it, until next weekend biggrin
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Tommy, you liked the first WHITE NOISE?

As for Disturbia, i hated it.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  3. Christodoulides wrote
    Tommy, you liked the first WHITE NOISE?

As for Disturbia, i hated it.

I didn't hate it, but I dindn't think it was good, I think I didnt' like the ending at all
    this movie gave me a more closure feeling

As for Disturbia and White Noise 2: I assumed they would suck, but it proves the more you except something of it, the easier the dissapointment is. And vice versa wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorChristoph
    Cypher, nice thriller but the dozen twists were a bit forced. My heart still melts when I see Lucy Liu on the screen spin
    •  
      CommentAuthorChristoph
    Nautilus wrote
    Incredible Hulk

A very well done summer action flick.

With more soul and more action than the Ang lee film.

it starts with a lot of rythm, and it keeps the interest in his whole running time.

Violent without being too explicit, almost as modern as a Bourne film, smart enought to don't insult your inteligence, the acting is great, the FX efficient....what a great time!

Far better than the overrated Iron man, wich i still think it seems more a TV film than a theatrical realease. (anyway I laughed with the surprise at the end of Hulk )

The score is generic, but it has some Armstrong touches and a motif for hulk, but the great thing it works very, very well in the movie. From the Main titles music (where terrier explains more better the banner transformation in 2 minuts than Ang lee in 2 hours..) to the final Battle.

based on the trailer I would say that the FX were completely over the top, more video game than a movie ... you made me curious about this film. Norton wasn't happy with the result at all, the studio shortened the original version with 15 minutes. Those 15 minutes focused on the psychological aspect of the hulk rolleyes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I still say Ang Lee's Hulk is quite good.
  4. As do I. (Mind you, I haven't seen the new one.)
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I particularly enjoyed the literal take on "comic book film" Lee took. That surely is some of the cleverest and most unique editing and visual effects I've seen in any superhero film.
  5. Agreed!
  6. Anyway, so what weirdness have I seen this weekend?

Well I decided not to do any writing this weekend, so since my love life is non-existent, that meant more time for movies than ever! wink

So I saw:

- THE PLAYER (Robert Altman) - a really fine film, and especially on the screenplay front. Robbin and Scacchi are great leads for this cast - their icy attraction to each other make for some very fine scenes. Thomas Newman gave this film one of his first great scores. The intense scoring of the 'don't tell!' sex scene is the work of someone who has really started to figure out storytelling. (DVD.)

- EARTH (Fothergill / Lindsay) - I thought that this translation of PLANET EARTH to the big screen didn't work as well as DEEP BLUE did as an adaptation of BLUE PLANET. The sequences were fairly much intact from the original series, and the music, unlike DEEP BLUE, didn't show as marked an improvement. (In fact, themes for animals started to get mixed up at one point.) I don't remember the cheetah footage from the series, and this section was certainly the film's highlight. The cheetah and gazelle are played out in such extreme slow motion that it looks more like lovemaking than hunting. (Cinema.)

- UN SECRET (Miller) - This Claude Miller film stars one of the most beautiful women alive. Somehow I've gone through the last few years not knowing about Cecile De France. That's a mistake that has now fortunately been corrected! This film complicates things with a modern story done in black and white, but it doesn't feel like the story needed it. Fine performances all around, good direction. The scenario is familiar, but I was engaged nonetheless. Cecile and the male lead have a very palpable sense of attraction - one scene quite late in the film between the two is staggeringly powerful. Zbigniew Preisner provided the sparing, subtle score - his work is careful and excellent as ever. (Cinema).

- EASTERN PROMISES (Cronenberg) - I have to be honest and say I didn't think this was that good. The awkward contrasts of HISTORY OF VIOLENCE are amplified here. The story doesn't really seem to go anywhere terribly interesting. Viggo Mortensen is the film's most interesting element - but the late twist in his character feels like a bit of an easy way out for the storytellers (even if it does make sense of earlier scenes). Performances are overall quite strong. The same writer's script for DIRTY PRETTY THINGS was much more convincing overall. I will say this: that fight scene is INCREDIBLE.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeJun 30th 2008 edited
    Steven wrote
    Reading your opinions and all manner of general consensus on this film, it seems Anthony is more picky and hard to please than I first imagined! tongue

Hey, Wall-E is good, I just wouldn't put it up with The Incredibles or Ratatouille. tongue wink

Anyway...

GET SMART

Anne Hathaway love

One question to ask yourself before seeing this - get American comedy? No? Avoid. sleep 1/5

Did I mention, Anne Hathaway? love

I must say however, before this they showed a trailer for The Dark Knight. I haden't seen anything from this until this point, but my God, this looks AWESOME!!! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorDavid
    • CommentTimeJun 30th 2008
    Anthony wrote
    GET SMART

Anne Hathaway love

One question to ask yourself before seeing this - get American comedy? No? Avoid. sleep 1/5

Don't worry, I'm American and don't usually get them either.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    RV: Big Fish

I hate Tim Burton movies. I remember walking into Batman with great expectations to finally see the great dark shadowy detective doing his stuff. What I got was a piece of crap. And I really mean it. The movie did nothing for me (Thank God for Nolan).

I stopped playing the sequel after fifteen or so minutes. I think Beetlejuice was the longest two hours I ever spent in a theatre, until Planet of the Apes.

So I avoided all that Scissorhands and Chocolate stuff, everything that seemed to be done with too much colour.

I must say I like Sleepy Hollow, and that might be the only reason why I finally agreed to my wife´s wishes to see Big Fish. She loves Jessica Lange, so there we were, knowing next to nothing about the movie, and let it roll...

I was surprised how Burton managed to get some "normal" scenes out of his sleeve. Honestly, I think it was the right decision to put those scenes in there, because otherwise I would have gone insane after ten minutes. Here again we got crazy people in even crazier stories. I was very, very close to give up when suddenly that story about the milkman appeared out of nowhere, and I had to laugh my ass off.

Me, laughing so hard in a Tim Burton movie...? I felt something strange was going on with this one, and at that moment, I really decided to give it a shot from heart. And from then on, the movie crept into me, got under my skin, crawled up there and started to frak my brain.

Well, it came as no surprise how the movie ended, but the way how that turned out was truly moving and remarkable. So I must admit that Burton moved me to tears with this one.

And for once, I really liked Danny Elfman´s score.
  7. Bregje wrote
    Last week I caught the movie Ever After on TV. It had just started, didn't know what movie it was, but I just sat down and kept watching till the end. I thought it was rather entertaining and watching Drew Barrymore is never boring. I thought it was a funny movie. Probably a real chick's movie, but anyway...

Absolutely not. smile I love it. But maybe I´m a chick after all, crying about a Burton movie. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Anthony wrote

Anne Hathaway love

Eh, she looks like an over grown mouse.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Watched a few Blu-rays lately:

Rambo - what on God's green earth was I thinking when I bought this? What a load of tripe. Utterly hideous. Worse than any of the original ones.

Signs - enjoyed this a lot! But the deus ex machina ending is very poor. It strikes me as an even sillier way of being able to kill aliens than the Slim Whitman method in Mars Attacks.

The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe - I thought this was OK. It's very much a children's film and on that level it works fine. I'm sure I'd have loved it had I been 20 years younger. What a huge, huge missed opportunity for a wonderful score though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote

Signs - enjoyed this a lot! But the deus ex machina ending is very poor. It strikes me as an even sillier way of being able to kill aliens than the Slim Whitman method in Mars Attacks.

Or WAR OF THE WORLDS wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Christodoulides wrote
    Southall wrote

Or WAR OF THE WORLDS wink

The film made me think of War of the Worlds a few times (I know it came out first)!
  8. Southall wrote
    Watched a few Blu-rays lately:

My brother and I saw Sings too this weekend, on DVD though and my god I enjoyed it even more than I have, and I saw the movie at least 5 times.

What a terrific mind boggling and interesting movie, the duo explanations and the various reasons about just one scene is staggering, I raised my rating for this one to 9 punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    Yeah, Signs is a spectacular movie, without any doubt! It´s a perfectly crafted masterpiece.

Any opinions on Big Fish?
  9. Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Yeah, Signs is a spectacular movie, without any doubt! It´s a perfectly crafted masterpiece.

Any opinions on Big Fish?

I like Big Fish, It's got some really witty humor (the scene with the infrared binoculars is hilarious), and I like the way it moves to the emotional stirring finale. It is typically Burton and it isn't as heartbreaking as Edward Scissorhands, but I like it
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    Tommy_Boy wrote
    the scene with the infrared binoculars is hilarious

Agreed. Another totally surprising laugh attack... hell, this movie had a lot of that, didn´t it?

So... since I never saw it... keeping in mind how I usually think about Burton´s fairy tale worlds, would you say I should try Edward or not...?
  10. Ralph Kruhm wrote
    [/b]

I prefer to wait until someone is within sight of the end of his career, or has made 15 films or so, before I start talking about which 'piece' of theirs demonstrates their mastery best. (Which is what 'masterpiece' is.)

Mind you, given the current strength of feeling against Shyamalan after the last three films (which I don't agree with), he could be closer to the end of his career than I originally thought! wink
  11. I said it´s a masterpiece, not his masterpiece. wink

Beside that, I absolutely think it´s his best movie so far.