• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Southall wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    There's a halfway ground where we can tell the difference between good Spielberg and bad Spielberg. They can often be found in the same film. dizzy

For me War of the Worlds is the ultimate example. Despite the big plot hole you mentioned, I thought it was vintage popcorn filmmaking for its first 95%, absolutely wonderful; but then the ending... boy, what a let-down.

This is true in the sense that Vintage popcorn movies often amount to a bit of a letdown at the ending. I do find it very hard to forgive a film for a bad ending though. In WAR OF THE WORLDS, we have some great stuff (including the cellar sequences) before that finale rolls around.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 3rd 2008
    Erik Woods wrote
    The Terminal - Could have been made by any B-rate romantic comedy director. Why Spielberg wanted to make this is beyond me.

I forgot about that! That is bad.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Erik Woods wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    There's a halfway ground where we can tell the difference between good Spielberg and bad Spielberg. They can often be found in the same film. dizzy

Bad Spielberg:

1941 - I think it's funny and the miniature action sequences are awesome but what a mess.
    Always - A complete snooze fest.
    Hook - Another mess. There are parts that work but there is so much that doesn't.
    A.I. - Not bad but not good either and the after the Blue Fairy stuff sucks
    The Terminal - Could have been made by any B-rate romantic comedy director. Why Spielberg wanted to make this is beyond me.
    Indiana Jones and The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull - Oh so bad. Could this be Spielberg's worst?

-Erik-

PS - I refuse to add War of the Worlds because until the happy ending it really works.

I laughed out loud at AI, thought it was truly horrendous. The Terminal isn't bad as such, for what it is it's fine... but what it is, is so little. Likewise Always, I guess. Crystal Skull I found OK, not brilliant, but not awful either. Somewhere in between. Don't think it deserves a place in a list which contains the hideous Hook.
  2. Christodoulides wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    Shane D wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    No offense, but I thought CITY OF GOD was really terrible. I would rather watch SISTERHOOD OF THE TRAVELLING PANTS 4 than see that film again. cool

I'd be interested to know why you thought that.. and what you compare it to that makes it a 'terrible' movie in your opinion...? (other than sisterhood of the traveling pants 4) wink

You know how pets can get 'rubbed the wrong way'? That's a bit like how I felt watching CITY OF GOD. I can understand how people might go for it, but I found the stylish MATRIX camera moves, flashy edits, and visual energy were so dishonest, draining all sense of reality out of the story. The film tells you it's a true story, but I left not believing a moment of it because of the way they made it.

So you wanted more of a documentary approach?

Not necessarily. I wanted something less stylised than a music video. To be honest, I wasn't sure what I wanted, as I was so unclear after watching the film what story they'd actually been trying to tell.

They also failed to do much with the notion that the main character was a photographer. He takes photos, sure, but a film about that sort of character should be about what a photograph is, how the photographer learns to make choices about what to put in frame and what to omit. How a photograph can mean something to some people, and something different to the person in the frame.

An enormous wasted opportunity. Some would say the style is how the characters would have made the movie, but if that is the case, then that isn't the best film that could have been made.

Mereilles did better with CONSTANT GARDENER.
    •  
      CommentAuthorShane D
    franz_conrad wrote
    Shane D wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    No offense, but I thought CITY OF GOD was really terrible. I would rather watch SISTERHOOD OF THE TRAVELLING PANTS 4 than see that film again. cool

I'd be interested to know why you thought that.. and what you compare it to that makes it a 'terrible' movie in your opinion...? (other than sisterhood of the traveling pants 4) wink

You know how pets can get 'rubbed the wrong way'? That's a bit like how I felt watching CITY OF GOD. I can understand how people might go for it, but I found the stylish MATRIX camera moves, flashy edits, and visual energy were so dishonest, draining all sense of reality out of the story. The film tells you it's a true story, but I left not believing a moment of it because of the way they made it.

Hmm... I get your point.. I viewed the movie as more of an artistic achievement and clever storytelling.. I don't think i'd ever go to Rio expecting the situation to be anything like the movie... In fact I think that'd be fair to say of any movie that is supposedly based on facts.. 'The other boelyn girl' "Elizabeth' 'Wolf Creek' for example - are all true events but are over-dramatized and probably a screaming mile away from any reality that actually occurred.
    I agree with Demetris.. perhaps maybe it should have been a documentary... but you'd never watch any movie and expect to get a sense of reality these days.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDavid
    Christodoulides wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

I forgot about that! That is bad.

While I concede the fact that I'm one of the few who really enjoys The Terminal, that statement strikes me as a bit harsh. The film is certainly better technically than 95% of the romantic comedies out there. From the production design, the cinematography, the music, etc. it's an extremely high quality production. Is it Spielberg at his best? Certainly not, but I don't think you're giving it it's due credit either.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJul 3rd 2008 edited
    ^ I don't think Spielberg should have made it. It's beneath him. Yes, technically its solid but it really offered nothing new to the genre. Same old same old. As Zeta-Jones was totally miscast.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorShane D
    • CommentTimeJul 4th 2008 edited
    I saw Forgetting Sarah Marshall last night - it was utter rubbish. (what did I expect) although it did have the guy from Superbad in it, and he was great.

Dark Knight come out in Australia next week!! Sweet. punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJul 5th 2008
    Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom

What I love about this film is how Indy's character comes off as much more of a hero than in Raiders. And I love the sets, probably the best of all the Indy films, and the wonderfully choreographed action scenes to go with them, so much "movie magic" that rarely happens these days aided of course by Williams' brilliant score.

For me, even though Raiders is the better film, this epitomises what Indiana Jones is about. It's far more camp than Raiders, it has more sense of 'movie adventure' about it. It also includes a couple of my favourite shots of Indy; one where he's on the elephant while Willie's throwing a hissy fit in a puddle of water, and the second (the best shot of all thr... sorry, four films) just before Indy is about to kick some serious boo-tay in the slave mines near the climax of the film.

Camp, silly, over the top and FUN. I love it!
  3. Steven wrote

What I love about this film is how Indy's character comes off as much more of a hero than in Raiders. And I love the sets, probably the best of all the Indy films, and the wonderfully choreographed action scenes to go with them, so much "movie magic" that rarely happens these days aided of course by Williams' brilliant score.

For me, even though Raiders is the better film, this epitomises what Indiana Jones is about. It's far more camp than Raiders, it has more sense of 'movie adventure' about it. It also includes a couple of my favourite shots of Indy; one where he's on the elephant while Willie's throwing a hissy fit in a puddle of water, and the second (the best shot of all thr... sorry, four films) just before Indy is about to kick some serious boo-tay in the slave mines near the climax of the film.

+ the score is the best of the 4 smile
    if you have heard the full score of course
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeJul 5th 2008 edited
    Steven wrote

Also, this. biggrin

Does anyone else think Indy looks like Simon Pegg here? dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Tommy_Boy wrote
    Steven wrote

+ the score is the best of the 4 smile
    if you have heard the full score of course

Raiders is still my favourite, but Doom is a close second.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    Just watched Danny Boyle´s Sunshine again on DVD. Beside the spectacular visual and sound effects work (and the IMHO absolutely fitting score), I´ve been very impressed with the actors´ work. There have been many bad things said about the third act, but I like it, because it gives the tension an additional edge, forcing the viewer to get ready for a no way out situation. And, after all, in times where there are far less space-based science fiction movies made than I would like, I consider movies like Sunshine a blessing.

For anyone who cares, there is a great audiocommentary by the scientist who has been the advisor for the movie. He not only talks about physics and space flights in a way that is complex but still simple enough for non-scientists to understand, he gives some very interesting insights into the psychological effects those missions have on the human mind, and how the different roles of scientists and pilots and technicians fit into the crew-internal relationships. His take on the psychological traits of scientists and how Cilian Murphy tried to make them his own for the role is very entertaining to listen to. Beside that, he is honest enough to tell us where the movie is talking science crap and where it´s not. He explains very logically why certain things are absolutely correctly done and why and how the story as a whole could make sense. A lot of the things that I thought were bull are actually quite on point and scientifically correct. I mean the man works for CERN, and he should know what he´s saying, unless he´s one of the guys who wants to create a small Black Hole in that nuclear test tube they´ve built just to see what happens. biggrin

Anyway, a really great commentary that helps understanding a lot of what happens in the movie, and beyond. Highly recommended.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Just watched Sunshine again on DVD. Beside the spectacular visual and sound effects work (and the IMHO absolutely fitting score), I´ve been very impressed with the actors´ work. There have been many bad things said about the third act, but I like it, because it gives the tension an additional edge, forcing the viewer to get ready for a no way out situation. And, after all, in times where there are far less space-based science fiction movies made than I would like, I consider movies like Sunshine a blessing.

Totally agree. One of the best sci-fi movies I´ve watched. And I liked the third act. As you say, the tension goes in crescendo until the end. I loved the mood of the film, the characters (no heroes in a sci-fi movie, and no over the top situations make for a very visceral and realistic approach).
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
  4. I thought for a moment that Istvan Szabo's superior generational study SUNSHINE had been the subject of a cable TV revival. biggrin
  5. Glad you like it. As a matter of fact, what I love about space-based science fiction movies is when they really take the setting into account and do something with it. I was blown away by the astrophysical ideas in the Riddick movies, and it´s the scientific aspect that helps me though Mission to Mars.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    Sorry. I just edited my review to include "Danny Boyle´s Sunshine". smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Glad you like it. As a matter of fact, what I love about space-based science fiction movies is when they really take the setting into account and do something with it. I was blown away by the astrophysical ideas in the Riddick movies, and it´s the scientific aspect that helps me though Mission to Mars.

Hey, another space-based film I loved, Mission to Mars, specially the ending, which I found very coherent with the story, and scored with such a great theme by Morricone (amazing how it fits the visuals).
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
  6. I certainly wouldn´t call it a masterpiece, and Morricone´s score sounds odd at times, but I don´t think the movie is the bullshit most people claim it to be. It´s just a very strange piece of work that comes about rather surreal even in its more realistically done moments.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Marselus wrote

Hey, another space-based film I loved, Mission to Mars, specially the ending, which I found very coherent with the story, and scored with such a great theme by Morricone (amazing how it fits the visuals).

I'm going to disagree with you on this one. The corny CGI alien with Morricone's saccharine music - but it is a great piece of stand alone music - is so laughable. I was actually really enjoying the movie until they enter the Mars "spaceship." It's like they ran out of ideas, threw this crap together without any real thought and say... well, that's the best we could come up with. That's the best you come up with? We have this great build up and that is it? Ugh!

And don't get me started on Sunshine. Same shit here. Great film until SUNMAN enters the film and then it turns into a cheap chase movie. Why? I've just invested a lot of time into a slow moving sci-fi epic film... I'm digging it... give me something else instead of an obligatory finale action scene. Why do producers and directors keep thinking that we need to have this big climactic action scene at the end of a film to come away satisfied. So, that third act in Sunshine is pure garbage, IMHO.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I haven't seen it yet and i don't plan to, largely put off by the unbearable Morricone score, but i am still curious so could someone be kind enough and completely spoil it for me by telling me what happens throughout the film and what is its ending?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    I haven't seen it yet and i don't plan to, largely put off by the unbearable Morricone score, but i am still curious so could someone be kind enough and completely spoil it for me by telling me what happens throughout the film and what is its ending?

Sorry man. shame Not like you are missing much.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    No, you didn't understand. I actually WANT someone to tell me what happens just to satisfy my curiosity 'cause i am not willing to sit through it. smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    Marselus wrote

I'm going to disagree with you on this one. The corny CGI alien with Morricone's saccharine music - but it is a great piece of stand alone music - is so laughable. I was actually really enjoying the movie until they enter the Mars "spaceship." It's like they ran out of ideas, threw this crap together without any real thought and say... well, that's the best we could come up with. That's the best you come up with. We have this great build up and that is it? Ugh!

-Erik-

I totally agree Erik, this film ( which like you I had enjoyed up toa point ) left my jaw hanging slack at such a corny ending, maybe I could have swallowed more without the seriously cheesy alien.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  7. I tink the alien at the end is supposed to be a hologram. So at least an excuse for the bad CGI.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    No, you didn't understand. I actually WANT someone to tell me what happens just to satisfy my curiosity 'cause i am not willing to sit through it. smile

See it and we'll share the pain together wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorAntineutrino
    Christodoulides wrote

If I recall correctly...

...year 2020 -> Mission to the Mars -> Sandstorm on the Mars -> Rescue mission -> Rescue crew enters mars face structure -> CGI alien shows that a meteor impact destroyed all life on Mars long time ago -> Aliens escaped from Mars but they dispatched life forms of their own on the Earth before they left.

tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Antineutrino wrote
    Aliens escaped from mars but they dispatched life forms of their own on the Earth before they left

tongue

.....which are? Ever shown in the movie?
    •  
      CommentAuthorAntineutrino
    Christodoulides wrote
    Antineutrino wrote
    Aliens escaped from mars but they dispatched life forms of their own on the Earth before they left

tongue

.....which are? Ever shown in the movie?

All of us! (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panspermia)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Haha, reminds me of Scientology's crap.