• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJul 15th 2008
    Duck, You Sucker

I finally completed the hole in my Leone viewing. For a film about death and redemption, featuring several scenes of genocide, it really is very amusing. Not up there with the rest of his work, but very good all the same. I've never considered the score to be in the same league as the others, and watching the film hasn't changed my opinion, but there are two magnificent bits of scoring - the bank heist / jailbreak, and the execution flashback. Genius, both.
  1. Southall wrote
    Duck, You Sucker

I finally completed the hole in my Leone viewing. For a film about death and redemption, featuring several scenes of genocide, it really is very amusing. Not up there with the rest of his work, but very good all the same. I've never considered the score to be in the same league as the others, and watching the film hasn't changed my opinion, but there are two magnificent bits of scoring - the bank heist / jailbreak, and the execution flashback. Genius, both.

I generally agree. I do think I (slightly) prefer it to ONCE UPON A TIME IN AMERICA, but there are some definite problems.

Highlights for me:
    - the Heist scene;
    - the Execution flashback;
    - the scene where Sean and Juan find all Juan's son's killed, and Juan goes out for revenge - the slow panning shot over the machine gun fire is pretty powerful.

That theme doesn't get out of your head after watching it, that's for sure.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 15th 2008
    RAMBO

Death, death and more death with John Rambo and I loved every blood soaked minute.

I guess I was easily pleased tonight. wink

Tyler's score works very well, loved the percussion parts.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeJul 15th 2008 edited
    Southall wrote
    Watched two weather-related blockbusters over the weekend.

Twister

I saw this when it came out in the cinema and thought it was rubbish. But it was on tv, I had nothing to do, and I am a far mellower person today than in 1996, so I gave it a shot. Sadly, it's still rubbish, but way more rubbish than your typical silly blockbuster since there just doesn't seem to be any point to it at all. I must have missed it, but I really have no idea why that group of people went around chasing after tornadoes, nor why the other group of people (hilariously decked-out with far superior equipment and nicer hair cuts) were doing the same thing, and why they hated each other. 1/5

To fully appreciate this movie see it in 5.1 digital surround sound. Even if you think the movie sucks, nothing beats the feeling you get when completely surrounded by the tornados, when your speakers get a big workout. Big roaring thunderous sound that just wooshes you away into the movie and only lets you touch down when the credits appear.

I for one love this movie, sure it's silly but it adds layer upon layer of awesomness. The effects just intensify and the scope of those tornadoes becomes like some sort of huge monster. The last one must be what Godzilla would look like if he was made of wind.

The score helps too, Mancina most enjoyable score IMO.

Jan de Bont's best besides Speed.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  2. Shane D wrote
    I saw 'THE HAPPENING' by M Night...
    I thought it was bad bad bad!! I don't know what's going on but I think He needs to stop writing his own movies..I loved sixth sense, was amazed by The Village and Signs.. but the last couple hes done, namely, Lady in the Water, and The Happening are really bad. I thought the Casting was terrible and the acting even worse.. I not sure if is the actors fault or signs of bad direction..
    I hated the story..It was shallow and boring. I hated the cliche and token gore that was un-scary and un-shocking.. and I hated the script.

Still cant wait for Dark Knight.. I hope I'm not getting too excited about it. punk

considering you saw the movie and hated it, does this affect as well the score of Newton Howard? Personally I think I don't like the Happening as say all his other collaborative efforts because it is carrying a not so brilliant (average) film
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorShane D
    • CommentTimeJul 16th 2008
    Tommy_Boy wrote
    Shane D wrote
    I saw 'THE HAPPENING' by M Night...
    I hated the story..It was shallow and boring. I hated the cliche and token gore that was un-scary and un-shocking.. and I hated the script.

considering you saw the movie and hated it, does this affect as well the score of Newton Howard? Personally I think I don't like the Happening as say all his other collaborative efforts because it is carrying a not so brilliant (average) film

I don't own the JNH Score so i havent heard it in its entirety. But, i do remember liking it, because it had that cool cello theme and the main titles were great. I actually like the way M Night movies have the main titles with the music being almost like an overture before the story begins.. But I wouldn't say i like it better than The Village or Signs... JNH does great music regardless of the quality of the film - Lady in the Water being a good example. I think 'THE MIST' with JNH scoring it would, have been exactly what 'THE HAPPENING' should have been...
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 16th 2008 edited
    THE MIST?

Isn't that scary odd-looking monsters attack people in a small town closed in a mysterious mist - movie ? I haven't seen it all but some scenes i've seen when skipping through it seemed a bit...funny to me?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Christodoulides wrote
    THE MIST?

Isn't that scary odd-looking monsters attack people in a small town closed in a mysterious mist - movie ? I haven't seen it all but some scenes i've seen when skipping through it seemed a bit...funny to me?

One of the best movies this year. And a finale with some balls.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Marselus wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    THE MIST?

This film got panned in America and had a very late European release. The fact that it's Darabont directing from Stephen King material means it's a 'must watch' for me plus the film has had a better critical reaction here in the UK.

Without giving anything away Marselus, would you say that "and a fnale with some balls" is maybe what American ( we want a happy ending ) audiences didn't like?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Timmer wrote
    Marselus wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    THE MIST?

Without giving anything away Marselus, would you say that "and a fnale with some balls" is maybe what American ( we want a happy ending ) audiences didn't like?

Probably yes. I won´t give anything away, but the ending is really shocking. The End wink
    But not only the ending is a reason to watch this movie. All the film is impressive (I mean the actors: specially Toby Jones and Marcia Gay Harden, the mood, the in crescendo tension and the horror scenes: not the typical horror teen movie scenes based in music bursts and/or editing tricks). Maybe the CGI could have been better to be honest, but even that gives the feeling of a 50´s - 60´s movie very appropriate. Highly recommended.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Marselus wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    THE MIST?

I wasn't a great movie but that ending shocked the living crap out of me. I actually stood up out of my lazy-boy and said, "Nooooooooooooooo!" Both my wife and I looked at each other and were dumbfounded. I couldn't imagine myself in that scenario!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Erik Woods wrote
    Marselus wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    THE MIST?

I wasn't a great movie but that ending shocked the living crap out of me. I actually stood up out of my lazy-boy and said, "Nooooooooooooooo!" Both my wife and I looked at each other and were dumbfounded. I couldn't imagine myself in that scenario!

-Erik-

Indeed. At the end of the film the question is mandatory: what would you do in that situation?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Goddammit. Now I need to see this movie.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Marselus wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Marselus wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    THE MIST?

-Erik-

Indeed. At the end of the film the question is mandatory: what would you do in that situation?

And that is EXACTLY what crossed my mind.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Marselus wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Marselus wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    THE MIST?

-Erik-

I'm sold! smile
  3. I'm sorry but the Mists has got one of the most brilliant endings I've seen in my entire life, I totally respect this guy for coming up with such an ending punk
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  4. Same here, general reaction seems to be of totally dropped jaws everywhere when referring to the end of The Mist. Haha, we're creating quite some hype for Steven here, hope he'll not be disappointed.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    DreamTheater wrote
    Same here, general reaction seems to be of totally dropped jaws everywhere when referring to the end of The Mist. Haha, we're creating quite some hype for Steven here, hope he'll not be disappointed.

Just remember... the body of the film is just Ok. Nothing really special. But it's that ENDING... man, it's tough one to get over I tell ya.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Erik Woods wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Same here, general reaction seems to be of totally dropped jaws everywhere when referring to the end of The Mist. Haha, we're creating quite some hype for Steven here, hope he'll not be disappointed.

Just remember... the body of the film is just Ok. Nothing really special. But it's that ENDING... man, it's tough one to get over I tell ya.

-Erik-

I´d say it´s above OK, simply because Darabont doesn´t use the usual bag of tricks to create tension/horror, the characters seem real (unusual in horror films full of teenagers) and the overall mood of the film is perfect IMO (aided by the photography, editing and all the non-scored sequences).
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Erik Woods wrote
    Marselus wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    THE MIST?

-Erik-

Heh. Not only is it an ending with some balls, for that guy it's a big kick in the balls!

I must agree though. For that to happen would suck.

Marselus wrote

I suppose the better idea would have been to wait as long as possible??
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    STOP IT! SHUT UP! Stop talking about the ending! You're driving me nuts!!! dizzy slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorShane D
    • CommentTimeJul 17th 2008
    I know I TOTALLY wasn't ready for the ending either. despite the DVD cover saying 'one of the most shocking endings of all time' ...It still caught me off guard.! ha (sorry Steven!)
    I agree as well, the acting was definitely above standard, and the actors all bounce really well off each other. I noticed the photography was also completely different to how normal horrors are shot. It had a bit of a hand held, documentary feel to it with really long takes that focussed on more than one or two main actors. It was a bit like filming theatre in a way.. I liked it. So yeh, definitely worth a look.
    •  
      CommentAuthorShane D
    Following a similar M Night/thriller theme.. I watched UNBREAKABLE for the first time last night too.. I loved it.. I almost wish there was more to it after the ending so you could see how bruce willis's character deals with his discovery.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    ALIEN V PREDATOR : REQUIEM

Oh man why did I subject myself to this COMPLETE AND UTTER BULLSHIT JUNK! slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Shane D wrote
    Following a similar M Night/thriller theme.. I watched UNBREAKABLE for the first time last night too.. I loved it.. I almost wish there was more to it after the ending so you could see how bruce willis's character deals with his discovery.

See, I'm glad they didn't because that's when comic book films turn to pot! The best part of a comic book film is usually the first half... the origin story. But once the character finds out what his power is, and how to use it the film turns into some lame action flick.

M Night did it right with Unbreakable. Tell the origin story in much more detail then most comic book films and end it after the discovery of the powers and his first save the day moment.

The only thing that M Night blew was the title cards at the end of the movie. David walks away upset having seen what Elijah has done and leds the authorities to Elijah. Elijah is sent to an institution for the criminally insane?! Totally wrong! This should be the beginning of the epic battle between Dunn and Mr. Glass. Don't show us a few lame title cards just because you think the audience needs to have some sort of quick and dirty wrap up. The audience can come up with there own conclusions. That's half the fun of these types of movies. The What If's.

Besides that, Unbreakable is M Night's masterpiece.

-Erik-
  5. Timmer wrote

Tell me, for someone who loves the Alien saga, and actually likes Alien vs. Predator (well not like the first two, but I found it rather entertaining in places), should I just go ahead and try it out... Been meaning to watch it on blu-ray soon.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 17th 2008 edited
    DreamTheater wrote
    Timmer wrote

Tell me, for someone who loves the Alien saga, and actually likes Alien vs. Predator (well not like the first two, but I found it rather entertaining in places), should I just go ahead and try it out... Been meaning to watch it on blu-ray soon.

Alien V Predator was a masterpiece compared to Requiem.

It had no story, no characters you gave two figs about, just loads of bollocks happening in a forest with the main protagonist being an Alien / Predator hybrid. Just a pile of directionless noise propelled along by Tyler's annoyingly noisy score.

I have only myself to blame for renting this junk, watch it at your own risk Gilles. slant

p.s. I absolutely love ALIEN & ALIENS and have seen both films multiple times, I really wish it had been left at that, two classics beloved by fans, everything that came after did nothing more than dilute this once mighty and scary beast.
  6. Oh, I stopped counting how many times I've watched Aliens, I once had a fanmade website about all the stuff of the film: the characters, the weapons, vehicles and props, the music, and so on. I'm the biggest fan alive!

Nah, I can still get into 3 & 4 for different reasons then I do for 1 & 2. I think they're not that bad actually: Alien 3 just depresses the hell out of me, but that's what I like: that dark atmosphere and feeling of hopelessness and despair. That's why I love the whole saga, not just the obvious two. They're all so different.

As for Requiem I will try and risk it, I have only my sanity to lose. tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    DreamTheater wrote
    Oh, I stopped counting how many times I've watched Aliens, I once had a fanmade website about all the stuff of the film: the characters, the weapons, vehicles and props, the music, and so on. I'm the biggest fan alive!

Nah, I can still get into 3 & 4 for different reasons then I do for 1 & 2. I think they're not that bad actually: Alien 3 just depresses the hell out of me, but that's what I like: that dark atmosphere and feeling of hopelessness and despair.

I agree with Alien3 not being as bad as some say it is. I really enjoy the movie and I think the ending is perfect and they should have ended the series then and there. Resurrection was a pile of crap... however that screaming baby Alien at the end of the film gave me the creeps. And these Alien vs Predator spins off stink, too. However, the original Alien vs Predator video game were GREAT!

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Timmer wrote

I fail to see how it could improve off AVP anyway. How on earth can it get worse though?!