• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 17th 2008
    Anthony wrote
    Timmer wrote
    ALIEN V PREDATOR : REQUIEM

Oh man why did I subject myself to this COMPLETE AND UTTER BULLSHIT JUNK! slant

I fail to see how it could improve off AVP anyway. How on earth can it get worse though?!

Believe me......IT DOES!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Agreed. Easily the biggest piece of crap I´ve seen this year. And I loved The Happening. Imagine how bad AVP2 must be. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I caught the end of Lady In The Water, the bit with JNH's best part of the score. I'd seen it before, but I'd forgotten how amazing that scene is (perhaps mostly helped by the music?). Think what you will about the rest of the film (which I really enjoy), that end scene is a stunning marriage of music and visuals.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I got to the point where there was a monkey thing appearing in the bushes, and then I lost attention. I've no idea what happens in the end sleep *goes to wikipedia*.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Fair enough, but I still say that end scene is really good. Which is what I said in the first place.
  2. Beside the fact that the whole movie is a fantastic piece of fairy tale stuff, yeah, the ending especially is as beautiful as they can get.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    From the info on wikipedia, it sounds...interesting...
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 18th 2008
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Agreed. Easily the biggest piece of crap I´ve seen this year. And I loved The Happening. Imagine how bad AVP2 must be. biggrin

Yep! beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Fair enough, but I still say that end scene is really good. Which is what I said in the first place.

I'm sure getting Lady In The Water would have been ifinitely better than getting AVP:R to watch?
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeJul 18th 2008 edited
    Yup.

At least - if you decide to hate the movie in general - there is this movie critic in it who gets what they all deserve. biggrin

He´s not unlike some people I know who think they know everything about movie scores and what makes a good one... wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Plus he looks like JNH, so there's another connection to the Batman scores. biggrin
  3. THE DARK KNIGHT

Pretty good, guys. It's a grim night at the cinema, and there are some minor flaws, but I can well understand why many are calling it the best comic book film ever made. I can't think of another superhero film that takes the viewer on such an intense, dramatic ride. It starts slow, but when it winds up... BOOM.

I'd say the only really unfortunate thing about the film is that of the film's four pillars, Batman, Joker, Harvey Dent and Jim Gordon, Batman is the one we spend the least time on a personal level. I mean when he's not playing Batman, and not playing the playboy Bruce Wayne. We don't spend enough time with that guy, and given how much that was at the heart of BATMAN BEGINS, it's a slight shame. But another way of looking at it is that this is much more of an ensemble drama than the first film, which was one man's journey. This film is about everyone's choices.

If there's anything else I'd say - this film probably is best seen on a normal cinema screen, not an IMAX scene. If Nolan shot his scenes from a more widescreen perspective, I'd say 'go for it'. But there are two critical action sequences where my friends had no idea what was happening, and the only reason I knew is that I was that I'm a more attentive viewer. This isn't a film killer, because the best parts really are when the characters are talking to each other.

A rare thing: I didn't notice when specific cues appeared in the film. I was caught up in the story enough not to notice. I do think 'Like a Dog Pushing Cars' appears over the end title. I don't remember where it appeared in the story.

No spoilers from me. Think twice about taking children and girlfriends. Especially children.

And can I just say this: IT'S GREAT TO ACTUALLY REALLY LIKE A SUMMER STUDIO TENTPOLE. I can't remember the last time that happened to me.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    franz_conrad wrote

If there's anything else I'd say - this film probably is best seen on a normal cinema screen, not an IMAX scene.

Quite a difference of opinion to this article then.
  4. Well they could be right, because they've seen it, and I haven't. But maybe they're not right, because they assume a general audience will share the reaction of someone who watches films all day, or because they weren't offered free tickets to IMAX session in order to say it wasn't any good. (The line between promotion and reporting on that site is pretty thin.) Complete immersion in a cinema screen, which Nolan speaks of, is not so big an issue in a cinema with good sound, a decent size screen, and something worth watching. I can see how the shots of Batman pirouetting like a paraglider through the night sky would benefit from a big screen - you'd really feel like you were falling with him. But the action scenes in general, blown up, will probably have a similar effect on an audience as some of those BOURNE ULTIMATUM scenes do in a cinema. If you can take it, go for it, but to me it seems like a gimmick. And I love Nolan's films - I think THE PRESTIGE is incredible - but the way he does action scenes really doesn't play well to a big screen, and I don't think a bigger screen is going to hide that. The film's real virtue, strong theme-driven plotting, will be just as strong either way.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Yeah, I'm not too fussed whether I see it in a normal cinema or an IMAX to be honest. Wall-E is something I want to see in an IMAX theater though.
  5. Saw a trailer for WALL-E last night. Made me want to see more!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Same happens to me every time I listen to the score! crazy
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    Marselus wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    THE MIST?

Isn't that scary odd-looking monsters attack people in a small town closed in a mysterious mist - movie ? I haven't seen it all but some scenes i've seen when skipping through it seemed a bit...funny to me?

One of the best movies this year. And a finale with some balls.

I wasn't a great movie but that ending shocked the living crap out of me. I actually stood up out of my lazy-boy and said, "Nooooooooooooooo!" Both my wife and I looked at each other and were dumbfounded. I couldn't imagine myself in that scenario!

-Erik-

MY GOD, now you made me want to see it! But those monsters looked really stupid through the few glimpses i took? confused
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    Anthony wrote
    Timmer wrote

I fail to see how it could improve off AVP anyway. How on earth can it get worse though?!

Believe me......IT DOES!

Oh man; Timmer, you really seem to fall into the trap of watching VERY, VERY bad movies lately! Why mate? Does the missus drag you along? wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  6. Christodoulides wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Marselus wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    THE MIST?

Isn't that scary odd-looking monsters attack people in a small town closed in a mysterious mist - movie ? I haven't seen it all but some scenes i've seen when skipping through it seemed a bit...funny to me?

I wasn't a great movie but that ending shocked the living crap out of me. I actually stood up out of my lazy-boy and said, "Nooooooooooooooo!" Both my wife and I looked at each other and were dumbfounded. I couldn't imagine myself in that scenario!

-Erik-

MY GOD, now you made me want to see it! But those monsters looked really stupid through the few glimpses i took? confused

Nothing stupid about them, you must've seen some bad quality clips then. In fact you don't see a whole lot of them, it's all rather suggestive but they show themselves where it counts. They're actually quite good CGI-wise.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    THE DARJEELING LIMITED - Dir: Wes Anderson

A funny and poignant comedy-drama which observes the thoughtful and moving journey of three brothers, culminating in a very personal and emotionally revealing work from Anderson. A very satisfying film indeed.

smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Anthony wrote
    Timmer wrote

Believe me......IT DOES!

Oh man; Timmer, you really seem to fall into the trap of watching VERY, VERY bad movies lately! Why mate? Does the missus drag you along? wink

Nah! I got a good slagging off from Mel for renting that junk! slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    DreamTheater wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Marselus wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    THE MIST?

-Erik-

Nothing stupid about them, you must've seen some bad quality clips then. In fact you don't see a whole lot of them, it's all rather suggestive but they show themselves where it counts. They're actually quite good CGI-wise.

Agree. It is a must see Demetris wink
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Steven wrote
    Yeah, I'm not too fussed whether I see it in a normal cinema or an IMAX to be honest. Wall-E is something I want to see in an IMAX theater though.

I was looking at the screenings at the Waterloo IMAX (it's the ONLY one in the country). Let's just say it looks near impossible to see at a convenient time. It got booked up aaaages ago!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJul 19th 2008 edited
    2001: A Space Odyssey

I'd seen scenes from this before, but I'd never watched the whole thing through. Wow! I was amazed, genuinely taken aback with this film. Talk about influential! shocked

No point in saying what everyone already knows about this masterpiece, but I loved the lack of dialogue in favour of more visual storytelling, brilliantly handled by Kubrick. People must have been in awe of the special effects back in 1968! (Also, I didn't know Horner worked on this film. He reused the same theme in Aliens the sneaky bugger. wink)

Is the sequel worth watching? Even though I thought the ending was amazing, I'm not sure it satisfied me? Hard to tell at this point.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJul 19th 2008
    The sequel is much better, actually!

(Well, I sure as hell enjoyed it more, but then I'm a staunch and pigheaded opponent to the near-biblical status 2001 has achieved. Influential, certainly. Visually stunning, without a doubt. 40% brilliant and exciting. 50% mindnumbingly boring. 10% LSD-generation-type incomprehensible.)
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Wall•E - Dir: Andrew Stanton

I took my sister (and myself) to see this, this afternoon, and I was stunned. Pixar's visuals just keep getting better - the level of detail in each and every shot is incredible. The story, although probably weaker than previous offerings, is still very heartwarming (Wall•E himself is so sweet). Newman's score works an absolute treat. I'm not kidding, the music in some of the sequences really blew me away, particularly in some of the more emotional scenes (Define Dancing being my favourite). This film sits among my favourite Pixar works and I'd be delighted to go see it again. Just brilliant.

4.5/5
    •  
      CommentAuthorPat
    Martijn wrote
    40% brilliant and exciting. 50% mindnumbingly boring.

But then, so is — or seems to be — life in space for those men, right? : )
    How could 2001 be boring when it leaves you in such awe. I guess you're reffering to the first 20 minutes or so ?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Martijn wrote
    The sequel is much better, actually!

(Well, I sure as hell enjoyed it more, but then I'm a staunch and pigheaded opponent to the near-biblical status 2001 has achieved. Influential, certainly. Visually stunning, without a doubt. 40% brilliant and exciting. 50% mindnumbingly boring. 10% LSD-generation-type incomprehensible.)

I've never really read much about it to be honest, so I'm not quite as affected by the hype. I can see why you would find it boring, but personally I was hooked on every scene. The extreme slow paced worked in its favour.

But I'm definitely going to check out the sequel, I want some answers dammit! I'm conditioned to the conventional Hollywood movie structure... I need familiarity goddammit! dizzy

biggrin

(The only bit I was really opposed to was the over-use of - as you say - incomprehensible LSD visuals. Went on for a bit too long for my taste. Minor nag though.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Pat wrote
    Martijn wrote
    40% brilliant and exciting. 50% mindnumbingly boring.

But then, so is — or seems to be — life in space for those men, right? : )

If I want to know about life in space, I'll watch a documentary.

How could 2001 be boring when it leaves you in such awe.

Because many of the scenes go on wayyyyyy too long (and beyond awe into simple boredom.
    Yeah. The rocket shuttle is docking. We GET it. We got it TWENTY minutes ago!)

I guess you're reffering to the first 20 minutes or so ?

No. Generic comment.
    Thing is that I'm not opposed to slow and deliberate pacing when it enhances the narrative (compare Kubrick's own Barry Lyndon on a textbook example how this is executed well. In 2001 it just seems a stylistic element that hammers home the ponderous and leaden message (which is something like "we are mere specks in the eye of eternity, from which we are born and shall ultimately all return to; oh, and also always build an 'Off' switch into computers") and the almost onanistic pride and satisfaction in the special effects.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn