• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 20th 2008 edited
    Martijn wrote
    The sequel is much better, actually!

(Well, I sure as hell enjoyed it more, but then I'm a staunch and pigheaded opponent to the near-biblical status 2001 has achieved. Influential, certainly. Visually stunning, without a doubt. 40% brilliant and exciting. 50% mindnumbingly boring. 10% LSD-generation-type incomprehensible.)

I'm inclined to agree with Marijn here, some sequences are overlong and boring but it is a great and influential film.

2010 is excellent and I recommend seeing it Steven. A very coherant film that's story driven with some "answers". Take note of David Shire's score, mostly synth except for a magnificent orchestral cue ( 'New Worlds' for those that have the soundtrack )....you can't miss it!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Well I'll be the one that says 2010 and 2001 are like chalk and cheese, and it's with good reason that people who like one tend not to like the other. So if you liked 2001...
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorPat
    • CommentTimeJul 20th 2008
    Martijn wrote
    Pat wrote
    Martijn wrote
    40% brilliant and exciting. 50% mindnumbingly boring.

But then, so is — or seems to be — life in space for those men, right? : )

If I want to know about life in space, I'll watch a documentary.

Haha, fair enough. Admittedly those scenes were pretty long, but I thought that overwhelming slowliness was pretty appropriate as the absolute calm and boredom they translate is such that it got on my nerves probably as much it got on those men's. And at times, it constrasted so well with the cold danger to which those two caracters were exposed, it just couldn't leave me indifferent. Those long scenes have, it seems, less that we're supposed to understand and more that we have to feel. At least, that's the way I experienced it, which might not be the most appropriate, but hey shame
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 20th 2008
    franz_conrad wrote
    Well I'll be the one that says 2010 and 2001 are like chalk and cheese, and it's with good reason that people who like one tend not to like the other. So if you liked 2001...

They are very different but I like both.

2001 is on acid where as 2010 is played straight.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. Me too. I like them both. For different reasons, of course.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJul 21st 2008
    Wall-E

I don't venture out to the cinema very much (and was reminded why - the girls in the row behind us talked all the way through the film) but having read more than one review that described this as the finest American film in twenty years, I couldn't resist. It isn't that - not surprisingly - in fact it's not even the best film from Pixar in twenty years - but it is absolutely magical. And indeed, the first 30 minutes are pure perfection, as good as anything I've seen in ages. There aren't many films where I would happily sit and watch them again as soon as they finish, but this was one.

Papillon

Nobody seems to think this is very good, but I loved it the first time I saw it, and I still love it after the tenth. We know Dustin Hoffman is brilliant - and he's brilliant here - but who ever knew that Steve McQueen could be this good? And that score - it's certainly my favourite Jerry Goldsmith theme, and it may well be my favourite film theme of all. And there is so much more than the theme - one of the all-time-great film scores.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Southall wrote
    Wall-E

I don't venture out to the cinema very much (and was reminded why - the girls in the row behind us talked all the way through the film) but having read more than one review that described this as the finest American film in twenty years, I couldn't resist. It isn't that - not surprisingly - in fact it's not even the best film from Pixar in twenty years - but it is absolutely magical. And indeed, the first 30 minutes are pure perfection, as good as anything I've seen in ages. There aren't many films where I would happily sit and watch them again as soon as they finish, but this was one.

Being the King of shocking opinions that you are, what do you think is the best Pixar film?
  3. Southall wrote

Papillon

Nobody seems to think this is very good....

Oh, there's a few out there... wink

For the most part, I think it's very good, even if it comes across as a big lite-on compared to the sense of punishment in the novel. Unfortunately, much as I like Goldsmith's 'Gift of the Sea' composition, I think that sequence wasn't very believable. (But then, you could have made a whole film about that episode from the book.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Steven wrote
    Southall wrote
    Wall-E

Being the King of shocking opinions that you are, what do you think is the best Pixar film?

Clearly it's a three-way tie between Toy Story 2, Finding Nemo and Ratatouille.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    franz_conrad wrote
    Southall wrote

Papillon

For the most part, I think it's very good, even if it comes across as a big lite-on compared to the sense of punishment in the novel. Unfortunately, much as I like Goldsmith's 'Gift of the Sea' composition, I think that sequence wasn't very believable. (But then, you could have made a whole film about that episode from the book.)

Hmm... must read the book!
  4. Southall wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    Southall wrote

Papillon

Hmm... must read the book!

One thing I found very surprising was their decision to have the whole village abandon him, including the girl that fancies him. In fact (if the story is true), his two wives (one of which is pregnant) are devastated when he chooses to leave after spending several months there.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    One of the reasons I like the "Gift of the Sea" section is all the breasts. It is possible that this makes me gloss over the other flaws.

Actually the whole film seems to move very quickly (and it isn't a particularly short film). This is one film I wouldn't have minded being half an hour longer - it would have made it more believable. (Though I know there are "doubts" to say the least about the validity of the book.)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 21st 2008 edited
    Southall wrote
    One of the reasons I like the "Gift of the Sea" section is all the breasts. It is possible that this makes me gloss over the other flaws.

Actually the whole film seems to move very quickly (and it isn't a particularly short film). This is one film I wouldn't have minded being half an hour longer - it would have made it more believable. (Though I know there are "doubts" to say the least about the validity of the book.)

I think it's a great film, I agree with you too, a rare case where an even longer film than it already substancially is would be better. Never read the book but I have heard there is controversy over it's credibility.

Goldsmith's score is brilliant, a 5 star easily!
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Did anyone see The Dark Knight??

i want a score _ movie report!!!!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Nautilus wrote

All the reviews I've heard so far have been possitive to downright excellent! Only Jonathan Ross ( a massive comic book freak ) thought it was overrated.

Why don't YOU watch and review the film Jordi? smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Timmer wrote
    Nautilus wrote

All the reviews I've heard so far have been possitive to downright excellent! Only Jonathan Ross ( a massive comic book freak ) thought it was overrated.

Because is not realeased in spain! tongue
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Nautilus wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Nautilus wrote

Owned.

When do you get it? I think it's out on Thursday here... dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Anthony wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Nautilus wrote

Owned.

When do you get it? I think it's out on Thursday here... dizzy

August, 13th crazy crazy
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeJul 21st 2008 edited
    Hancock

What a flop! Boring (they had the decency to make it last only 90 minutes though), uninspired....not even Will Smith (who I admire as an actor and for his charisma) can rise the film. The CGI are good but we´ve watched them many times before, the plot twist is hilarious and there´s no climax at all. And the score, well, totally chopped here and there (why the hell did they cut Powell´s "SUV Chase" to play a song?!) and cutting the best track of the score to insert a joke before the credits. A total disappointment.

Batman Begins

Now that´s much better. I´ve watched it a lot of times now and I´m still amazed how good it is. Christian Bale IS Batman as much as Daniel Craig IS James Bond. And I´ve come to appreciate and enjoy the score (in the movie) much more. A lot of themes and subthemes. Too bad they are not developed in The Dark Knight.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
  5. Nautilus wrote

I saw it on the previous page of this thread. wink
    The score is all chopped up in the movie. 'Who so serious?' and the Joker music is very effective throughout. I wasn't so convinced by the rest of it. The underscoring of the scenes between Bruce and Rachel was (thankfully) more restrained than in BATMAN BEGINS, but those dramatic scenes still feel a bit awkward.
    The main car chase sequence (very cleverly) uses no score for most of its length, which worked really well. When Batman storms a building filled with hostages towards the end of the film, 'the Batman theme' (or what I think is the Batman theme) is used to great effect as we finally see the man in action.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    franz_conrad wrote
    'Who so serious?'...

You mean Why So Serious?? wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    TheTelmarine wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    'Who so serious?'...

Ooh, mistake. Don't go up against Michael. Trust me. shocked

(wink)
  6. Ah, yes. shame
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Steven wrote
    TheTelmarine wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    'Who so serious?'...

Ooh, mistake. Don't go up against Michael. Trust me. shocked

(wink)

Why not? biggrin
  7. I'll him get away with it this time. He has been warned, however.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeJul 22nd 2008
    franz_conrad wrote
    I'll him get away with it this time. He has been warned, however.

Ooh, should I be scared right now? biggrin wink
  8. One day you'll look back and wish you had been. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    franz_conrad wrote
    One day you'll look back and wish you had been. biggrin

Maybe... LOL biggrin
    • CommentAuthorWyatt
    I recently saw Narnia 2: Prince Caspian and was not very satisfied with it. It was kind of boring and it didn't seem to have anything to do with the first movie's story other than where it's set and Aslan. Also, all of the cool action sequences (the water giant and trees are what I'm refering to) seemed to be taken right out of LOTR.. Really, the film didn't have too much going for it other than that witty mouse guy.. Maybe it's just not my cup of tea, but it seemed just like regergetated fantasy bullshit.. no offense to anyone who liked it.

The other movie I saw was The Dark Knight, which really, to put it simply, was just a phenominal movie. Really, I'm having a hard time thinking of anything else to say; it's a really great film.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Wyatt wrote
    I recently saw Narnia 2: Prince Caspian and was not very satisfied with it. It was kind of boring and it didn't seem to have anything to do with the first movie's story other than where it's set and Aslan. Also, all of the cool action sequences (the water giant and trees are what I'm refering to) seemed to be taken right out of LOTR.. Really, the film didn't have too much going for it other than that witty mouse guy.. Maybe it's just not my cup of tea, but it seemed just like regergetated fantasy bullshit.. no offense to anyone who liked it.

Have you read the book? As a matter of fact, much of the things you speak of are found throughout the book. The water giant and the trees may seem to be from The Lord of the Rings, but they are from the original novel, which was written about the same time as The Lord of the Rings. Another thing you should know is that C.S. Lewis and J.R.R. Tolkien were good friends who met regularly while they were in the process of writing their bestselling cycles. It is possible that the trees and water giant ideas were inspired by The Lord of the Rings, but even that is highly unlikely. The two were some of the greatest authors of their time, and were basically the founders of the fantasy genre we know today. So you can't really say Prince Caspian is "just like regergetated fantasy bullshit," because the correct wording would be, Every other bad fantasy film is just like a regenerated Prince Caspian. Fact is, Prince Caspian and the other Narnia books upon which the films are based are some of the pioneering fantasy novels. You can't say they're cliched, because it's actually many of the modern fantasy stories that are cliched and, as you put it, "regergetated fantasy bullshit."