• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeAug 4th 2008 edited
    Martijn wrote
    For a vastly believable portrayal of millitary command in WWI, watch Blackadder Goes Forth. The most stunnnig bit of military realism ever filmed

Couldn´t agree more.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 4th 2008
    Martijn wrote
    Timmer wrote
    LET HIM HAVE IT

Damn. I wanna see this now. sad
    I'm a sucker for depressing films...especially when they're really good (and I like Eccleston a lot as an actor).

RV: Joyeux Noel
    The (heavily romanticized) true incident of a comradely Christmas celebration in the trenches during WWI. Slightly sanitized as many of the participants on the French and German side were executed by their respective High Commands (...fucking wankers. For a vastly believable portrayal of millitary command in WWI, watch Blackadder Goes Forth. The most stunnnig bit of military realism ever filmed), but very well acted, beautifully photographed and ultimately very moving.

Rombi's music is a wonderful stand-out.

Very much recommended.

Very well worth watching Martijn, a gross miscarriage of justice that's well filmed and handled by the director. I should also have mentioned that Eccleston's performance is superb too. Early 1950's London looks very authentic. Highly recommended.

P.S. Agree on Joyeux Noel & Blackadder Goes Forth.....how often does a comedy make you cry with rage and sadness, simply superlative writing.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. I'd like to see this Blackadder show you refer to. It's a style of comedy - comedy that fills you with rage and grief - that I'm very interested in. A lot more than Joyeux Noel from the way you've described it. How available is it on DVD?

For WWI stories that move me, I think very highly of Stanley Kubrick's PATHS OF GLORY, Gilles Mackinnon's REGENERATION, Peter weir's GALLIPOLI and, definitely, THE GRAND ILLUSION.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeAug 5th 2008
    franz_conrad wrote
    How available is it on DVD?

Very.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeAug 5th 2008 edited
    Martijn wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    How available is it on DVD?

Very.

I´d highly recommend the whole series, from 1 to 4 (plus the specials: "Blackadder's Christmas Carol" and "Blackadder Back & Forth").
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 5th 2008
    Martijn wrote
    Timmer wrote
    LET HIM HAVE IT

Damn. I wanna see this now. sad
    I'm a sucker for depressing films...especially when they're really good (and I like Eccleston a lot as an actor).

RV: Joyeux Noel
    The (heavily romanticized) true incident of a comradely Christmas celebration in the trenches during WWI. Slightly sanitized as many of the participants on the French and German side were executed by their respective High Commands (...fucking wankers. For a vastly believable portrayal of millitary command in WWI, watch Blackadder Goes Forth. The most stunnnig bit of military realism ever filmed), but very well acted, beautifully photographed and ultimately very moving.

Rombi's music is a wonderful stand-out.

Very much recommended.

Real gem, music and movie.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  2. Marselus wrote
    Martijn wrote
    For a vastly believable portrayal of millitary command in WWI, watch Blackadder Goes Forth. The most stunnnig bit of military realism ever filmed

Couldn´t agree more.

Maybe. I thought that the final sequence at the end of the series was a bit too "in your face" with their message.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeAug 6th 2008
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Marselus wrote
    Martijn wrote

Couldn´t agree more.

Maybe. I thought that the final sequence at the end of the series was a bit too "in your face" with their message.

Yes, maybe not the more subtle way to say it, and not as subtle and ironic as the whole series, but we got the message didn´t we? wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    The Four Horsemen

I have been watching this on and off during the past few days. It's a fantastic casual discussion between famous atheist writers Daniel Dennett, Richard Dawkins, Christopher Hitchens and Sam Harris, filmed in 2004. Highly recommended - Steven, you will probably like this.

Part 1
    Part 2

smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Ah yes, I watched that a few months ago. Might watch it again as my memory's a little fuzzy on it.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    LSH wrote
    The Four Horsemen

I have been watching this on and off during the past few days. It's a fantastic casual discussion between famous atheist writers Daniel Dennett, Richard Dawkins, Christopher Hitchens and Sam Harris, filmed in 2004. Highly recommended - Steven, you will probably like this.

Part 1
    Part 2

smile

I haven't seen it.

I'll be watching this later, thanks Lee smile
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Marselus wrote
    Martijn wrote

Couldn´t agree more.

I didn't mind.
    In fact, I thought it was quite powerful.
    I was sincerely moved by the last image, which only hammers home what the series had been propagating from the start: the idiocy and sadness of how that war was conducted.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeAug 7th 2008
    RV: The Biggest Fucking Lightening Storm Of My Entire Life! Mother Nature

It's passed over us now, but it's still lighting the sky. But holy crap, when we were in the eye of the storm, it was like War of the Worlds! Loudest thing I've ever heard!

shocked punk shocked punk shocked punk shocked
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Still going. So glad I don't have to get up early tomorrow! biggrin

God seems to be throwing one helluva hissy fit tonight. Must be all the gay marriage, sex, and illegal downloading. Obviously.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Steven wrote
    Still going. So glad I don't have to get up early tomorrow! biggrin

God seems to be throwing one helluva hissy fit tonight. Must be all the gay marriage, sex, and illegal downloading. Obviously.

No, actually there was a shootout going on between God and Ceiling Cat.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote

It's passed over us now, but it's still lighting the sky. But holy crap, when we were in the eye of the storm, it was like War of the Worlds! Loudest thing I've ever heard!

Super cool

I've seen/heard more thunder/lightning storms here in England this year than I've ever known!?

Best one in this country, for me anyway, was Glastonbury Festival 2006. Best one I ever experienced is the only one that actually made me frightened, and believe me I don't fear easily, and that was a biblical one in Kashmir, Northern India which even ended with an encore....golfball sized hellstones.
  3. Steven wrote

Actually, I'm not convinced God has as much of a problem with illegal downloading as our fellow men do. dizzy
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    He would if they tried to download the Ten Commandments from torrent sites back then.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote

Super cool

I've seen/heard more thunder/lightning storms here in England this year than I've ever known!?

Best one in this country, for me anyway, was Glastonbury Festival 2006. Best one I ever experienced is the only one that actually made me frightened, and believe me I don't fear easily, and that was a biblical one in Kashmir, Northern India which even ended with an encore....golfball sized hellstones.

I might be a Sun worshiper, but gimme that any day! (Hellstones and all. biggrin )

I've always loved lightening storms, even as a kid I never got scared by them (as far as I can remember?). This one last night was awesome, me and my brother drove out to the river front we live nearby to get a proper 360 panoramic view of it, and it literally lit up the whole sky. It was amazing! Definitely reinforced my love of meteorology.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeAug 7th 2008 edited
    The Mummy 3

Well...It is what I expected. in fact a little bit better....

it's stupid yes. It's a real argument mess yes.

I know Im going to be the Devil's advocate but Now with the new Indy movie using the new technologies, i can't see very much diferencens betwen both movies.

At least, the mummy 3 filmakers, They didn't spent 10 years to make up with the script and ironically they uses less GGI efects...

About the score...The main theme is annoying and is orchestrated like a Midi, that's why producers used Debney music in all the final battle and Climax (almost 30 minutes ). Fun to hear changes from Midi music to epic Choral elements from Lair here beer
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote

Super cool

I might be a Sun worshiper, but gimme that any day! (Hellstones and all. biggrin )

I've always loved lightening storms, even as a kid I never got scared by them (as far as I can remember?). This one last night was awesome, me and my brother drove out to the river front we live nearby to get a proper 360 panoramic view of it, and it literally lit up the whole sky. It was amazing! Definitely reinforced my love of meteorology.

That's brilliant and I wholeheartedly agree with you, nothing quite like mother nature really letting rip and filling your entire being with vibrancy and life!

Like you I've always loved lightning storms from childhood and was never scared but I wasn't kidding about the Kashmir story, even the locals said they'd never experienced one quite like it, within minutes of it starting the city of Srinigar blacked out and we had the thrill of seeing the mountainous peaks illuminating like huge sentient gods but after half an hour or so it really intensified with lightning and thunder that had no gaps, just continuous forks and thunderclaps that lasted over two hours, it was biblical in every sense and I've never been unnerved by a storm before or since then.

Ceiling cat was wearing snow leopard spots that day. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    Ceiling cat was wearing snow leopard spots that day. wink

I DO like your metaphores.
    cool
  4. Alien vs. Predator: Requiem

What can I say about this movie: it's loud, it's full of action, it's suspense-free, it provides no satisfaction at all. This comes from a fan of both franchises, I even liked AvP. The directors clearly wanted to give as many tributes as possible to the series without actually creating an interesting storyline or characters that make sense. It's like they just shot some random action scenes, glued them all together and decided: this is a sequel in one of the most beloved film series ever. And what's up with the darkness: most of the time you can't make out anything of the brutal fights. They shouldn't have bothered at all. Fox should never have greenlighted this, with a script that's stupid, and directors that clearly don't know how to create suspense or make a cohesive story.

It wasn't horrible, but I could've watched the weather instead, which was much more interesting over here (non stop thunderstorms and rain punk )

Rating: 1.5 out of 4
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DreamTheater wrote
    Alien vs. Predator: Requiem

What can I say about this movie: it's loud, it's full of action, it's suspense-free, it provides no satisfaction at all. This comes from a fan of both franchises, I even liked AvP. The directors clearly wanted to give as many tributes as possible to the series without actually creating an interesting storyline or characters that make sense. It's like they just shot some random action scenes, glued them all together and decided: this is a sequel in one of the most beloved film series ever. And what's up with the darkness: most of the time you can't make out anything of the brutal fights. They shouldn't have bothered at all. Fox should never have greenlighted this, with a script that's stupid, and directors that clearly don't know how to create suspense or make a cohesive story.

It wasn't horrible, but I could've watched the weather instead, which was much more interesting over here (non stop thunderstorms and rain punk )

Rating: 1.5 out of 4

I'd give it -5 out of 5
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Jurassic Park

Not as cheesy as I seem to remember it being. Although that stupid girl putting her computer ''hacking'' skills to work at the end was stupid.

Tonight is Jurassic Park 2 which I've never seen!

I say Samuel L Jackson comes back in JP4 - fights the dinosaurs with one arm and a stick. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Anthony wrote
    Although that stupid girl putting her computer ''hacking'' skills to work at the end was stupid.

biggrin

Yes it was.

And they should have just put their feet at the bottom of the door, that's far more effective at holding back a velociraptor than using your body weight. Idiots.

PLEASE keep an open mind during this film. I think it's one of Spielberg's most entertaining films!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Anthony wrote
    Jurassic Park

Not as cheesy as I seem to remember it being. Although that stupid girl putting her computer ''hacking'' skills to work at the end was stupid.

I say Samuel L Jackson comes back in JP4 - fights the dinosaurs with one arm and a stick. wink

JP 2 is stupid, Spielberg on autopilot, but still great fun when the dinos are on screen and it has the best score by far.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Steven wrote
    Anthony wrote
    Although that stupid girl putting her computer ''hacking'' skills to work at the end was stupid.

biggrin

Yes it was.

And they should have just put their feet at the bottom of the door, that's far more effective at holding back a velociraptor than using your body weight. Idiots.

PLEASE keep an open mind during this film. I think it's one of Spielberg's most entertaining films!

I plan to enjoy it for all it's worth. And I freaking LOVE the score (better than the first IMHO). I've read a lot of reviews that say it's nothing compared to the first film, mainly due to no character development. Quite frankly, all I'm looking for is big-ass dinosaurs chasing people, guys with guns, some sort of hot woman (Julianne Moore? Maybe not...), and totally overblown suspense scenes!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeAug 7th 2008 edited
    Timmer wrote
    Anthony wrote
    Jurassic Park

JP 2 is stupid, Spielberg on autopilot, but still great fun when the dinos are on screen and it has the best score by far.

Yes, the story is hilarious. The film is Spielberg on auto-pilot but like we say about Williams, Spielberg on auto-pilot is better than most of the crap we get today. The action sequences are a lot of fun including the first big one. A good popcorn flick!

And I'm the only one here who absolutely LOVES JP3. Beside the cruddy ending, IMHO, it's far more enjoyable than JP2. And the effects seem to get better and better. The CGI dinos have never been beaten.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Then you'll love it! punk (And I agree it makes a better album than the first score.)