• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeAug 7th 2008
    Erik Woods wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Anthony wrote
    Jurassic Park

Not as cheesy as I seem to remember it being. Although that stupid girl putting her computer ''hacking'' skills to work at the end was stupid.

Tonight is Jurassic Park 2 which I've never seen!

I say Samuel L Jackson comes back in JP4 - fights the dinosaurs with one arm and a stick. wink

JP 2 is stupid, Spielberg on autopilot, but still great fun when the dinos are on screen and it has the best score by far.

Yes, the story is hilarious. The film is Spielberg on auto-pilot but like we say about Williams, Spielberg on auto-pilot is better than most of the crap we get today. The action sequences are a lot of fun including the first big one. A good popcorn flick!

-Erik-

But then again, Jurassic Park 1 wasn't all that great until the dinos came into it. I won't be forgetting the T-Rex introduction any time soon. That was EPIC! (I just wish the chase later on was longer).
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeAug 7th 2008 edited
    Erik wrote
    Anthony wrote
    Yes, the story is hilarious. The film is Spielberg on auto-pilot but like we say about Williams, Spielberg on auto-pilot is better than most of the crap we get today. The action sequences are a lot of fun including the first big one. A good popcorn flick!

-Erik-

But then again, Jurassic Park 1 wasn't all that great until the dinos came into it. I won't be forgetting the T-Rex introduction any time soon. That was EPIC! (I just wish the chase later on was longer).

I had no problems with the original JP. Fantastic from start to finish.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Erik Woods wrote

And I'm the only one here who absolutely LOVES JP3. Beside the cruddy ending, IMHO, it's far more enjoyable than JP2. And the effects seem to get better and better. The CGI dinos have never been beaten.

-Erik-

Yup. tongue

It really was the shite characters and acting that annoyed me about it. And as you said, why was there no big ending??!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    It WAS epic. I just LOVED the "awe" factor in Jurassic Park.
    Spielberg knew full well he couldn't re-visit that in The Lost World, so he opted for no-holds-barred dino action scenes, and for me it works brilliantly.

It was Jurassic Park that made me believe there were dinosaurs walking the earth.
    Lost World hammered home that, you know, you wouldn't want to keep 'em as pets or so...
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I thought the CGI in Jurassic Park III wasn't as good as in 1 and 2. Perhaps digital textures and mapping were improved, but the artistic use (lighting, directing, use of story devices) of the dinos in JP3 wasn't. Spielberg is (one of) the kings when it comes to knowing when, where and how to use CGI!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote
    I thought the CGI in Jurassic Park III wasn't as good as in 1 and 2. Perhaps digital textures and mapping were improved, but the artistic use (lighting, directing, use of story devices) of the dinos in JP3 wasn't. Spielberg is (one of) the kings when it comes to knowing when, where and how to use CGI!

I don't know man. The finale battle with the Spinosaurus was on par with anything in the trilogy. And the Rex/Spinosaurus battle was EPIC. That floored me when I saw it in the theatre. The transition from model to CGI never bothered me in any of the movies.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote

Was slant

Hey Erik, you aren't alone on JP 3, it's amagnificent rollercoaster ride that never lets up but yeah, the ending is sucky.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote

Was slant

Really? Granted, the CGI in Indy 4 was a bit crap, but I think that was George 'I shit all over my films' Lucas's fault.

Just take a look at Minority Report and War Of The Worlds for recent Spielberg films to see he's still as strong as ever when it comes to CGI... perhaps more so.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Spielberg knew full well he couldn't re-visit that in The Lost World, so he opted for no-holds-barred dino action scenes, and for me it works brilliantly.

It was Jurassic Park that made me believe there were dinosaurs walking the earth.
    Lost World hammered home that, you know, you wouldn't want to keep 'em as pets or so...

Nothing, and I mean NOTHING will ever beat that moment for this lifetime Dino lover of seeing that Brachiosaurus on screen in JP, I can only echo you here Martijn....I believed Dinosaurs were back and walking the earth.

By the time I saw T-Rex I was in tears, not from fear, no sirree, but with childhood awe and love for something I never thought I'd see portrayed so realistically, that day Dinosaurs WERE back and RULING the Earth cool

I honestly don't know if I'll ever have a cinematic moment like that again!?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote
    Martijn wrote

Nothing, and I mean NOTHING will ever beat that moment for this lifetime Dino lover of seeing that Brachiosaurus on screen in JP, I can only echo you here Martijn....I believed Dinosaurs were back and walking the earth.

Until I saw the making of Jurassic Park I was flabbergasted as to how they got those massive monsters to walk around and move so lifelike. I had a feeling it was a gigantic model robot of some kind but I was in shock when I saw a massive T-Rex running after a Jeep in full frame. There was no way a robot could MOVE like that. I'm sure this was the same feeling that the people of 1977 has when watching Star Wars from the first time. How did they do that?

Now, when I found out that some of the effects (especially the ones that truly blew me away) were done in a computer I was still flabbergasted. Truly some of the most impressive and realistic special effects ever committed to screen. And at the time I thought that CGI was truly the way of the future, that all movies would look and feel like Jurassic Park and we were about to be blow away by what this new technology could deliver. Sadly, the technology has been abused and use so carelessly since 1993. Even the special effects company that brought those amazing monsters to the screen back in 1993 have failed time and time again to capture the magic they created with the Jurassic Park series.

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Well I just got off watching The Lost World and it was...pretty lousy. I wasn't so fussed about the shallow characters (except maybe that stupid kid - when she first appeared I actually started swearing at the TV). What annoyed me the most was just the whole mess of the story. It had massive potential - mercs on an island hunting dinosaurs, and a group of people trying to stop them - it could have been great!

But no...we have to spend 10 minutes on an action sequence where people are doing shit all apart from holding on to a rope, we have the T-rex's all the bloody time when they should just be the big-ass-finale of it, and we have some stupid kid KICKING a dinosaur out of a window. WTF!? angry rolleyes
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Thought as much. rolleyes Talk about your average cynical teenage who criticizes everything! tongue
  1. I like each of the three for different reasons.

JP 1 was a big surprise for me because I didn´t expect it to be such a thriller; I liked how the atmosphere built up to the T-Rex scene, and by the time that monster was finally standing there in the rain, yes, I believed, too.

I loved JP 2 because I loved Goldblum´s sarcasm, and that scene were Julianne Moore was lying on that slowly breaking window was heartstopping.

JP 3 was much more honest regarding to the genre, monsters killing stupid people. And that idea about the cell phone was frakkin hilarious.
  2. Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote

Was slant

Really? Granted, the CGI in Indy 4 was a bit crap, but I think that was George 'I shit all over my films' Lucas's fault.

A bit?!

I agree about WAR OF THE WORLDS though. That should have won an Oscar for FX.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeAug 8th 2008
    As should have Minority Report... wait, did it? It's late, and I'm too lazy to use Google.
  3. Anthony wrote
    Well I just got off watching The Lost World and it was...pretty lousy. I wasn't so fussed about the shallow characters (except maybe that stupid kid - when she first appeared I actually started swearing at the TV). What annoyed me the most was just the whole mess of the story. It had massive potential - mercs on an island hunting dinosaurs, and a group of people trying to stop them - it could have been great!

But no...we have to spend 10 minutes on an action sequence where people are doing shit all apart from holding on to a rope, we have the T-rex's all the bloody time when they should just be the big-ass-finale of it, and we have some stupid kid KICKING a dinosaur out of a window. WTF!? angry rolleyes

Too bad you didn't like it, I think it's a true Spielberg-sequel, in that same way that Temple of doom was, make it more fun, but more dumb, but with enough humor to make it entertaining... The story isn't that great but once Spielberg shifts into gear I couldn't care less. That whole sequence with the trailers and the T-rex family is a blast and a good example of how Spielberg can create nailbiting suspense and at the same time make you have a good time. And the whole finale is utterly brilliant: who didn't want to see the dino's walk in the city? I sure did and it delivered big time. Jeff Goldblum is great, but not as hilarious as in JP, but then again he has learned a thing or two since the first film, so it was refreshing to see another Ian Malcolm. I'd rate both movies equally.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Steven wrote
    Thought as much. rolleyes Talk about your average cynical teenage who criticizes everything! tongue

I'm with fuzzyduddy.
    I really enjoyed the heck out of Lost World, every single aspect of it.
    Try and RELAX, Anthony.
    Have a good time.
    It's not, you know, illegal or something!
    tongue
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Besides, you never know what the future may hold for the franchise.
  4. The Marine (6 out of 10)

It wasn't braindead like AVP Requiem, and it offered a bunch of over the top acting, but this is just a movie that is fun for no apparant reason. The action, including the chase is over the top but totally enjoyable, the acting is not exactly pushing new boundaries but nobody takes itself serious and it pays off, this is just fun while being a mediocre movie, not bad for a single view

Ohh, and how cool was the inside joke during the cars chase biggrin
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  5. A Tale of Mari and Three Puppies - Music by Joe Hisaishi

Cute little girl?... check.
    Protective brother?... check.
    Passed-away mother?... check.
    Cute little puppies?... check.
    Dog-hating father?... check.
    Earthquake?... check.
    Tear-jerking moments?... check.
    Happy Ending(tm)?... check.

What can I say? I like it! biggrin

Oh! And Hisaishi's music? Gorgeous theme, as always. I need to get this!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeAug 9th 2008
    Sunshine

Not as strong as it could have been, but a very interesting movie nonetheless. I must admit I'm a sucker for these types of psychological 'alone in space' sci-fi movies, the obvious classic example being Alien for which this movie resembles in certain aspects, particularly nearer the end of the movie.

I liked the performances of the actors, I thought that was a particular high point of the movie. It felt like they 'researched' their characters quite well, and it really payed off in believing the emotions of each of them.

The "God" aspect was an interesting touch. The way I saw it, the movie said we make our own future. I like that.
  6. If you like it, do yourself a favour and listen to the audiocommentary by the scientific advisor to the movie. It has a lot of interesting facts about the movie, not only scientifically speaking, but about the actors and the characters as well. I loved it (as well as I loved the movie - glad you liked it, Steven).
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeAug 9th 2008
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    If you like it, do yourself a favour and listen to the audiocommentary by the scientific advisor to the movie. It has a lot of interesting facts about the movie, not only scientifically speaking, but about the actors and the characters as well. I loved it (as well as I loved the movie - glad you liked it, Steven).

And what's their scientific explanation behind a man whose had all his skin burnt of and has managed to live in space for seven years? rolleyes tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeAug 10th 2008 edited
    I can´t remember now, but obviously, with the rest of the crew dead, he had more than enough food and air left to last that long (thanks to the biogarden still intact). And no one said when his skin got that bad. Could have been a rather slow process, like it seemed to happen to the doctor/psychologist on Icarus 2.

On the other hand, the audiocommentary doesn´t shy away from saying when the science in the movie is crap, so maybe he said something about that, I just can´t remember; it´s been a while.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeAug 10th 2008
    The Horse Whisperer

This is the cinematic equivalent of test match cricket - you can go out in the middle for a three-course meal, come back and you haven't really missed anything - but it's very well done. Beautifully-shot, and acted, and the music is brilliant. I love John Barry, but I can't imagine his score would have worked nearly so well.

Throw Mamma From the Train

Bordering on surreal at times, but this dark comedy is well done, and David Newman's score is a hoot. I think I'm going to have to check if Intrada still has any copies of it left.
  7. Southall wrote
    The Horse Whisperer

This is the cinematic equivalent of test match cricket - you can go out in the middle for a three-course meal, come back and you haven't really missed anything - but it's very well done. Beautifully-shot, and acted, and the music is brilliant. I love John Barry, but I can't imagine his score would have worked nearly so well.

I like that film a lot, and I think it's one of the few 'chick flicks' I've seen that I could watch again. I like the fact that most of the characters make good choices by the end of the film. (And though he's old, Redford and Scott-Thomas remind me of what a mature on-screen romance can be. What class!)

Robert Richardson's photography and Thomas Newman's music are also exceptional.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    The Horse Craperer. I don't like it.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  8. I do. Whenever it´s on air and I switch accidentally into it, I can´t help but have to watch it until it´s over. It´s the kind of movie that really makes me wanna live in Montana... biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    ....or be a woman. cheesy tongue beer
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  9. Nah... I´d be the Marlborough man waiting for that NY chick to get some serious action. wink