• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 14th 2008
    Steven wrote
    Why do people on this forum puke when they watch or listen to something they don't like? confused

Perhaps an ECT icon would be more apt? biggrin
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    Why do people on this forum puke when they watch or listen to something they don't like? confused

ECT? confused
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Marselus wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote

ECT? confused

Electric Current Therapy wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Timmer wrote
    Marselus wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote

ECT? confused

Electric Current Therapy wink

Hehe, thanks!
    I prefer the puke though tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Steven wrote

We have sensitive stomachs.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Then best that ya'll stay away from this movie I'm watching:

Slither

Now this is where vomit is appropriate! It's also very funny. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDavid
    Steven wrote
    Then best that ya'll stay away from this movie I'm watching:

Slither

Now this is where vomit is appropriate! It's also very funny. biggrin

^ Wouldn't it be awesome if the puke actually landed on the words and dripped down the side instead of that gap???

I obviously have nothing to add here. Goodbye.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeAug 15th 2008
    Just got back from seeing Star Wars: The Clone Wars. I don't really know what to say about it... The battle scenes are wonderful, the beginning is incredible (IMO), but after the first half hour or so, the plot seems to drag a bit. I really like the animation, and the score actually fits the film fairly well, but the story just made me cringe at times. Rescuing a Hutt? Come on, George, tell us this isn't the best plot you had in mind... And Jabba's uncle, Ziro... Don't get me started on him (or her). Quite possibly the worst character to grace the screens in a Star Wars film, with a very mesed up voice. And on top of that, this Hutt is able to speak English (Basic, for all you Star Wars geeks)! Ah well, with all that forgotten, this film is actually quite enjoyable, and I would very much love to go see it again, while in theaters.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeAug 16th 2008 edited
    Street Kings

Very good film about corruption and redemption, with great action set pieces (violent, harsh and very well shot), nice edit job and a solid performance by Keanu Reeves. And Graeme Revell shows he is quite good with this kinda thrillers, he is allowed to shine in many moments of the film (fortunately they decided to let him work instead of filling the picture with dozens of rap / hip hop songs). 7 out of 10

The Ruins

Ok, another bunch of teenagers being slashed by, in this case, a plant living in an ancient mayan pyramid rolleyes . Anyway, fun for an hour and a half. As usual in this kind of films, is not about who is gonna survive but how are they going to die. Amongst all this originality there are some really tense moments worth the screening, and we have Darius Khondji as DOP and Graeme Revell scoring (not as inspired as in Street Kings though, not at all). 5 out of 10
  1. Just got back from seeing Wall-E. The movie was just released here last Tuesday.

And WOW! punk Pixar does top themselves again (for what, nine times in a row?!?).
    I really love how Wall-E seems to be able to look and feel as we do. Stanton's vision of the future may not be off the mark either.

Anyway, a great love story and a good science fiction combined in one neat package. Also a possible candidate for the year's best movie, too.

PS Presto! is also a neat Pixar short. I love that bunny.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeAug 16th 2008 edited
    The Dark KNight

After watching it and reflexioning....Here are my first conclusions.

The opening robbatory, Hong Kong mission, The bat pod chase ( i want of these! ), Joker's interrogatory, The warehouse "drama" or the climax with the hostages and the posterior climax with Gordon's family are superb. Are pure Genius.

Nolan is capable to transmit the paranoid mood and the tension of all these characters so well....

....and here is the main problem with this movie.

Nolan never let your mind rest a while. Nolan is constantly give you information, dense script, too much tension (even if is not from the script, Nolan Style is pure "paranoid" )....And your brain almost burns!

The action sequences has the mission to put a little "fun"and turn your brain off, but even here, Nolan asks you too much. The 10 minutes bat Pod chase is withou music, so even this sequence is working in an intelectual level even if you didn't notice.

(Talking about this sequence....No scoring it is a wrong decission , IMHO. the sequence is screaming: " I want music!!!" I remember how "molossus" worked so well in the first car chase... )

All this is sad, because without so many plot twists and with a little bit more blockbuster kind of action this movie could be PERFECT.

Anyway, it's not far from it. But Give me Spiderman 2 any day.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

About the music.... Well, You know I enjoyed much more the album than the first. I even love it!

Joker's note is so perfect....so perfect....I can't belive it! But too much Bat Flaps!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeAug 16th 2008
    Nautilus wrote

All this is sad, because without so many plot twists and with a little bit more blockbuster kind of action this movie could be PERFECT...

....for you. wink
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Steven wrote
    Nautilus wrote

All this is sad, because without so many plot twists and with a little bit more blockbuster kind of action this movie could be PERFECT...

....for you. wink

Hehe, he's just upset there wasn't music where he wanted there to be. tongue Quite frankly, I didn't even notice there wasn't any during the scene, so clearly it doesn't matter. wink
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I'm still going to keep an open mind as I've only seen two episodes so far, but Alias seems so...meh. Episodes seem really rushed and badly edited. Plus it looks like they stole entire scenes and glued them together for MI3. I only hope it gets better... slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeAug 17th 2008
    I Know Who Killed Me

This film is the reason the vomit smilie was created for, so vomit
    I really try to understand how a studio could say green light to this project, seriously, but I can´t.
    Poor McNeely, the things he has to do.....sometimes I´d like to see the composer´s face after their first screening of the film they have to score. In this case, McNeely´s has to be priceless.
    Anyway, 1 out of 10.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I could never understand how he wrote such an impressive score for that crap. Kudos to the man!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Batman Returns

One of my favourites movies from Burton. And a great improvement over his predecessor (Wich I find terribly boring ).

Michel Pfeifer is sexy as hell, Keaton is a great "playboy", the bat toys great, Walken and Devito in his game and the Nightmare before xmas touch is fantastic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Earthquake

Boy, this is bad. Bad, bad, bad. Really very bad. Fortunately it falls into the "so bad it's funny" category, so I thoroughly enjoyed watching it.

Much the same could be said of...

The Jackal

I find it extraordinary when you read of studios cutting bits of out of masterpieces, dictacting that scores should be rejected and what-not, and yet Universal happily spent $60m on this pile of turd. It's truly wretched, with the normally-watchable Bruce Willis truly hilariously awful, and Carter Burwell's score is one of the most dreadful I've ever heard in a film. Zero out of ten.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I liked Willis's many disguises, and I liked the bit where he shot off Jack Black's arm. biggrin

But yes, that score is awful. He created a general (and generic) theme for the whole film and decided "Yeah, I'll put it here and there, a bit there, maybe play it here too... yeah that'll work, it's fine."
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    I liked Willis's many disguises, and I liked the bit where he shot off Jack Black's arm. biggrin

But yes, that score is awful. He created a general (and generic) theme for the whole film and decided "Yeah, I'll put it here and there, a bit there, maybe play it here too... yeah that'll work, it's fine."

Have you seen Day Of The Jackal starring Edward Fox? A far better film.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeAug 18th 2008
    The Killing Fields

This was one of the first "serious" films I watched when I was a boy, and it had a real effect on me, causing me to rush to the library and read everything I could on the subject. I haven't watched it again in the twenty years since, until today, and it's an incredibly powerful, harrowing but profoundly moving film, a masterpiece. Brought a tear to my eye.
  2. Over the last week and a half...

Aria - only could watch three of these short films based on famous Arias before tiring. Godard and Ken Russell's pieces truly do violence to the notion that famous feature film directors should make more short films. No, not if they take the format that lightly...

Double Life of Veronique (Kieslowski) - great film, great score, great actors, great photography, and all of it centred around a great truth that I don't think I've ever seen in another film.

Wild Strawberries (Bergman) - I've been slowly getting closer to watching this film throughout this year. It's a lot more theatrical than the other Bergman films I've seen, but when the actors at the heart of it are so strong, it's not really a limitation. Bergman's familiar troupe of actors are a great team... you get a strong sense of the team spirit from film to film. And Victor at the centre of things - if ever a film had a heart, he's the one.

Rules of the Game (Renoir) - Fantastic. Apparently the film that offended French national pride more than any other. And to my surprise, it's a film that could have easily been the template for Gosford Park. An upstairs/downstairs drama based mostly around a night in a country estate when morals are loose and noone keeps their dignified exterior for long. Renoir plays a fine role in his own film.

Barton Fink (Coen Bros) - Great beginnings lead to a fairly loose and unsatisfying ending.
    But the craft is really strong, even if the story doesn't live up to it. Wonderful sound design work throughout, and Carter Burwell's score is so carefully place it almost feels like it isn't there. I think this film proves that only very special comedies can get away with killing a significant character halfway through the movie.

Pierrot le Fou (Godard) - G's first colour film, and my first feature length film from him. I quite liked it. He definitely marches to the beat of his own drum here. There's quite a few setups that really make you go - 'how the $*%* did he pull that off?'

Six films, two great, two very good, one reasonable and one bad in two weeks. Not a bad haul.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    franz_conrad wrote

Double Life of Veronique (Kieslowski) - great film, great score, great actors, great photography, and all of it centred around a great truth that I don't think I've ever seen in another film.

Which is?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  3. Ahahahah!

Watch the film. biggrin

By which I mean - the delight is in the film, not in the analysis. It's best to discover for yourself than be told there's something there.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    The Killing Fields

This was one of the first "serious" films I watched when I was a boy, and it had a real effect on me, causing me to rush to the library and read everything I could on the subject. I haven't watched it again in the twenty years since, until today, and it's an incredibly powerful, harrowing but profoundly moving film, a masterpiece. Brought a tear to my eye.

A film I'd like to revisit again too. Great score by Mike Oldfield and emotive use of songs, by the time you hear John Lennon's 'Imagine' there'll not be a dry eye in the house.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Pirates of The Caribbean : Dead Mans Chest

The film is mostly good fun with some great set pieces and few laugh out loud moments, Johnny Depp is highly watchable.. On the downside the narrative was clumsy and it ran about 40 minutes too long.

Some of Zimmer's scoring is good but a lot of it leaves me cold, the 'Kraken' music is ho-hum.
  4. Timmer wrote
    Southall wrote
    The Killing Fields

A film I'd like to revisit again too. Great score by Mike Oldfield and emotive use of songs, by the time you hear John Lennon's 'Imagine' there'll not be a dry eye in the house.

... and Nessum Dorma packs a real punch when it makes an appearance too.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    franz_conrad wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Southall wrote
    The Killing Fields

... and Nessum Dorma packs a real punch when it makes an appearance too.

Which scene is that?
  5. It's a montage on a TV where we see a lot of the extremes of the Cambodia situation. Sam Waterson's character is the one who sees it.