• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeAug 18th 2008 edited
    Timmer wrote
    Pirates of The Caribbean : Dead Mans Chest

The film is mostly good fun with some great set pieces and few laugh out loud moments, Johnny Depp is highly watchable.. On the downside the narrative was clumsy and it ran about 40 minutes too long.

Some of Zimmer's scoring is good but a lot of it leaves me cold, the 'Kraken' music is ho-hum.

Well, most of the score is not by Zimmer. So...about the Kraken....I think it works well, but he pused too hard the botton.

About the movie, I love The Wheel of Fortune sequence and all the kraken Stuff, but I do prefer At world's End (wich even being boring in his first half, it cointains a terrific final hour and some of the best fantasy moments I ever seen in a long time )

Batman (Burton)

Wow, how dated this movie is!

Being watched Batman and Batman returns (wich is better but you can't compare the production with Superman The movie, for example ) , I must say I feel a little bit annoyed by Burton's over use of sets instead exteriors....it seems if it was shooted in a Warner Bros park. I can't belive this movie was realeased in the cinema, specially the second one with things like Termintator 2 the same year.

PS: a lot of people said, one of them was me, this movie was too dark...Well, With Nolan's movies, now the Burton Approach seems a Romantic Comedy!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Sweeney Todd

Why oh why oh why oh WHY do I PERSIST in falling into the trap of watching musicals when I hate them (because once upon a blue Monday there'll be a Wizard Of Oz or Nightmare Before Christmas, that's why).

Yes, it looks beautiful (hey, it's Burton).
    Yes, I'm as in love with his fiancee as he himself is.
    Yes, it's bloody (heh!) stylish.

But the singing...GOD, the singing... vomit

There's maybe three lines of dialogue, the rest is songs, and not very good or memorable ones at that. The music is wonderfully cinematic and appropriately ominous and thundering, but the songs are overall insepid and pointless, not furthering the story one bit (and not helping the characters' motivation much either: I glimpse a girl in a window and I burst into THREE songs how I'm going to set her free??? Ugh!).

Depp (in the title role) is too stiff and zombielike to be enjoyable (his character is basically Gilbert Grape meets Edward Scissorhands, twenty years later), Rickman is utterly wasted (and CANNOT sing!). Timothy Small is his usually slimy self. I'm in love with Bonham Carter (that whole half-dead corpse bride emo-Goth thing I somehow find highly erotic).
    Sacha Baron Cohen's bit part as Signor Adolfo Pirelli is surprisingly good.

I'm sure this film will have its audience.
    I'm just not among them.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeAug 18th 2008
    Martijn wrote
    Sweeney Todd

I'm just not among them.

At least you finished your view. I couldn't.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    franz_conrad wrote
    It's a montage on a TV where we see a lot of the extremes of the Cambodia situation. Sam Waterson's character is the one who sees it.

I wonder if that's the first use of Nessun Dorma in such a scene. It's such a powerful piece.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Nautilus wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Sweeney Todd

I'm just not among them.

I did too. But suffering a lot.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Nautilus wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Sweeney Todd

I'm just not among them.

Ah come on.....it was nice! I liked it, and the music was beautiful; yes the singing (i waaaaaaanttttttt youuuuuuuuuu Joaaaaaaaaaaaaaanaaaaaaaaaaaaa) was mostly hideous but once you stop thinking about that, it's a pretty good production imo.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    franz_conrad wrote
    It's a montage on a TV where we see a lot of the extremes of the Cambodia situation. Sam Waterson's character is the one who sees it.

Ah yes, that scene was also (very well) written by Bruce Robinson ( Withnail & I ).
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn,

Neither hell, high water or Ceiling Cat will ever EVER get me to watch SWEENEY singingmurderinghumanfuckingpiemaking TODD themudderfriggin MUSICAL!

Considering your well known love of all things "Musicals" how did you watch this!!??? confused
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    The Genius of Charles Darwin

Fascinating stuff, just wish there wasn't so many edits during his conversations with varied religious people though in the case of the Australian evangelist I don't think he had any intention of allowing Dawkins a word in edgeways. ( I'd love to know what prof Dawkins was thinking at that point )

This particular program could have done with being an hour longer.....or at least I would have liked it to be an hour longer.

What did you reckon Steven?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 19th 2008 edited
    NEXT

Some film with Nicholas Cage where he can see two minutes into the future and the FBI want him to find terrorists who have a nuclear bomb but he's fallen in love with a girl whossszzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

From a Philip K. Dick story......apparently rolleyes

However, it was almost worth sitting through for Mark Isham's entertaining conglomorate of Thomas Newman and John Powell (in 'Bourne' mode) score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Timmer wrote
    The Genius of Charles Darwin

Fascinating stuff, just wish there wasn't so many edits during his conversations with varied religious people though in the case of the Australian evangelist I don't think he had any intention of allowing Dawkins a word in edgeways. ( I'd love to know what prof Dawkins was thinking at that point )

This particular program could have done with being an hour longer.....or at least I would have liked it to be an hour longer.

What did you reckon Steven?

I watched it. It has been a fascinating little series which could have benefited from being longer, yes. I swear to God ( rolleyes ), people like that Australian evangelist really make me cringe but I love Prof. Dawkins and can really relate to that frustration you can sense in his voice when talking with such individuals.

Oh, and those emails! shocked
  1. LSH wrote
    ...people like that Australian evangelist really make me cringe ...

Do you remember the name, by any chance? (Actually, I've since found out it was John Mackay, who I don't know of.)
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeAug 19th 2008
    Timmer wrote
    NEXT
    Mark Isham's entertaining conglomorate of Thomas Newman and John Powell (in 'Bourne' mode) score.

You mean "Paycheck". Trust me, it's almost a shameful knock-off.

Woah, I actually had deja vu of your and LSH's post after I accidentally hit backspace and had to come into the thread again. shocked
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Any UK folks watch the three-part Lost Land of the Jaguar on BBC? What a series!
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    I did! I have, however, been having some pretty nasty dreams since that tarantula appeared in episode 2. Yuk!

slant smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    Considering your well known love of all things "Musicals" how did you watch this!!??? confused

Because once in every while there'll be a Muppet Movie or a Moulin Rouge, which I will actually enjoy. shame (Incidentally, in this thread I've now mentioned all the musicals in history I liked. All four of 'em. )

RV: He Was A Quiet Man (2007)
    Not-bad little film about a lonely, hopeless office drone (an unrecognisable Christian Slater), who entertains revenge fantasies on his successful, beautiful and/or cruel colleagues. In fact he brings a gun to work to go "postal", but happens to take out another co-worker who had the same idea just a few minutes earlier...which makes him a hero.
    Or does it?
    Suddenly embraced by corporate management and in love with the beautiful, now paralyzed, first victim (Elisha Cuthbert) of the gun man, life is very much not like a fairy tale.

I won't spoil the ending (though it is rather predicatble due to a number of none-too-subtle clues), but the film is worth the effort: well directed, well acted (though Macy is miscast as the corporate top dog) and involving enough to keep your attention.
    It's not a happy film, though, miing pain, desillusion and fantasy in a Brazil-like fashion (though nowhere near as well as that film).

The soundtrack by Jeff Beal is alternately estranging and light, reminiscent of his eery work on the underrated TV series Carnivále.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    Oh yeah... Carnivále... what a fantastic series... we still have to see the second season, but I´m afraid it will leave me wanting more, when there´s nothing else to come. A shame, really...
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    The good thing was that the makers were aware the studio was gonna pull the plug, so they did manage to glue an ending of sorts on.
    It still leaves a lot of questions, but is satisfying enough under the circumstances.

But yeah, it will leave you wanting for more.
    I cannot believe the pulled it. It was one of the most intriguing, interesting series since American Gothic in the early nineties.
  2. Martijn wrote
    The good thing was that the makers were aware the studio was gonna pull the plug, so they did manage to glue an ending of sorts on.
    It still leaves a lot of questions, but is satisfying enough under the circumstances.

Really? Great, I´ll try it then...

But yeah, it will leave you wanting for more.

...or not!? Arghhh

I cannot believe the pulled it. It was one of the most intriguing, interesting series since American Gothic in the early nineties.

Firefly, anyone. At least that one got a decent conclusion with Serenity, but still, I can´t believe Whedon is working with FOX again...
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Oh yeah... Carnivále... what a fantastic series... we still have to see the second season, but I´m afraid it will leave me wanting more, when there´s nothing else to come. A shame, really...

...and what a bad accompanying score! wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    You really mean that? Or are you joking about spoiling my fun? I thought the score was spot on.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Agreed. I bought the CD immediately. It fit the series like a glove!
    Not something to listen to everyday, for sure, but still: great accompanying work.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    You really mean that? Or are you joking about spoiling my fun? I thought the score was spot on.

You see; i never say something just to annoy someone; i really mean it, i know the score (and composer) have many fans and it's ok of course; it's just that i have never been able to warm up to anything Jeff Beal has written to date, nor understand the praise he gets. Just not my type of music, at all; i guess.
  3. I see (and didn´t think you wanted to annoy me, just wanting to have fun). haven you seen the series or did you listen to the score out of context, which would make your opinion a bit more understandable (but not a bit more valid, of course... biggrin )
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Out of context, i admit. But everything i have heard from Beal was a bad experience for me, not only Carnivale.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    It's definitely one of those scores that one appreciates a hell of a lot more when one has seen the accompanying visuals.

(Yes, I realize how weird it is to elevate the proper accompanying art form -the film music- to a higher level than the primary art form. We've had that discussion before. It's why forums like these exist. To cater to the weird and otherworldly like us.)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Any UK folks watch the three-part Lost Land of the Jaguar on BBC? What a series!

I did! It was BRILLIANT!

Me. Want. Go. To. Guyana.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    LSH wrote
    I did! I have, however, been having some pretty nasty dreams since that tarantula appeared in episode 2. Yuk!

slant smile

Pah! Call that a spider? Nowt more than an itsy bitsy spider.

actually it was one of the biggest mudderfriggin spiders i have ever seen cool
  4. Christodoulides wrote
    Out of context, i admit. But everything i have heard from Beal was a bad experience for me, not only Carnivale.

I´m sorry for your loss. Really, I am. *hug*
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    actually it was one of the biggest mudderfriggin spiders i have ever seen cool

Wonderful!
    I just saved myself some tme by NOT having to watch this! cool