• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Christodoulides wrote
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Oh yeah... Carnivále... what a fantastic series... we still have to see the second season, but I´m afraid it will leave me wanting more, when there´s nothing else to come. A shame, really...

...and what a bad accompanying score! wink

Still, you've got to admit, when you line it up against a lot of other recent tv music, there's not much that beats it. Can't think of any American tv show, actually, that does. biggrin

(And I've never seen the show. I'm going only on the album here, and the sadly unreleased second season score.)
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeAug 19th 2008
    Is anyone else watching Maestro on BBC 2 right now? They've got a comedian, a news reader, Blur's bass player, Goldie and a few others and they teach them how to conduct. Then there's a performance every week where someone gets voted off. Pretty entertaining stuff. It's usually classical stuff they perform, but tonight a they performed a concert version of the Simpsons theme with Sue Perkins at the baton. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    TheTelmarine wrote
    Steven wrote
    TheTelmarine wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    2nd time? at the cinema again?

I think I can wait for it to come on TV rolleyes wink

Most can. wink

Only us Star Wars snobs mind you. We can't be doing with CGI in a Star Wars film, let alone a fully CGI one!? Heavens above. slant

Believe it or not, not all Star Wars fans hold that view. In fact, there are quite a few who love The Clone Wars, and can hardly wait for the October 3rd premiere of the new TV series. And I assure you, my Tivo will be all up and ready for October 3rd. wink

Hurray
    . rolleyes

Sorry.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Christodoulides wrote
    TheTelmarine wrote
    Steven wrote
    TheTelmarine wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    2nd time? at the cinema again?

I think I can wait for it to come on TV rolleyes wink

Most can. wink

Only us Star Wars snobs mind you. We can't be doing with CGI in a Star Wars film, let alone a fully CGI one!? Heavens above. slant

Believe it or not, not all Star Wars fans hold that view. In fact, there are quite a few who love The Clone Wars, and can hardly wait for the October 3rd premiere of the new TV series. And I assure you, my Tivo will be all up and ready for October 3rd. wink

Hurray
    . rolleyes

Sorry.

LOL It's OK. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeAug 20th 2008
    Anthony wrote
    Is anyone else watching Maestro on BBC 2 right now? They've got a comedian, a news reader, Blur's bass player, Goldie and a few others and they teach them how to conduct. Then there's a performance every week where someone gets voted off. Pretty entertaining stuff. It's usually classical stuff they perform, but tonight a they performed a concert version of the Simpsons theme with Sue Perkins at the baton. wink

And she was damn good!
    It was all film-related material, incidentally, though aside from Elfman's theme, no proper film music was conducted (unless you count Leonard Bernstein's Mambo)
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Saw Jack Clayton's The Innocents a couple of nights ago. An excellent ghost story/psychological drama with some very effective use of lighting and sound to build an eerie atmosphere. A very sparse score but Georges Auric conveyed that unsettling feeling quite well-- the opening scene had a blank screen with just a child's vocals.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    BhelPuri wrote
    ... with just a child's vocals.

Speaking of which: i always hated how some idiots converted a child's vocal singing as the most trademarked and cliched standard of everything spooky, evil, ominous and dark. HOW THE F*DGE IS THIS JUSTIFIED? And anyways why every damn horror score must have evil spooky children singing in it?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    BhelPuri wrote

Speaking of which: i always hated how some idiots converted a child's vocal singing as the most trademarked and cliched standard of everything spooky, evil, ominous and dark. HOW THE F*DGE IS THIS JUSTIFIED? And anyways why every damn horror score must have evil spooky children singing in it?

Psychologically it plays on our inherant maternal instinct to protect children by turning it on it's head to become something to fear.

But your right, it's cliched old rubbish!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    BhelPuri wrote

Psychologically it plays on our inherant maternal instinct to protect children by turning it on it's head to become something to fear.

Except that I've yet to hear a single score where this appears and no one will name any.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  2. BhelPuri wrote
    Saw Jack Clayton's The Innocents a couple of nights ago. An excellent ghost story/psychological drama with some very effective use of lighting and sound to build an eerie atmosphere. A very sparse score but Georges Auric conveyed that unsettling feeling quite well-- the opening scene had a blank screen with just a child's vocals.

This is a magnificently ambiguous film. Kerr gives a very disturbing performance, and the scares are very genuine. I recently saw this on a cinema screen.

As for whether child vocals are ridiculous in horror films. Well Demetris, if you start to unpack some of the cliches of musical representation, you will find most of them are at least slightly silly when you think about them for a second.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 21st 2008
    Scribe wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    BhelPuri wrote

Except that I've yet to hear a single score where this appears and no one will name any.

Poltergeist
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    There are others too, Scribe, mostly low production, b movie scores but i doubt you've heard them as they aren't RC.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    There are others too, Scribe, mostly low production, b movie scores but i doubt you've heard them as they aren't RC.

LOL biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    I fail to see how whether or not they are RC has anything to do with it.

But how can it be such a cliche if no one can name more than a handful of scores in which it is used?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 21st 2008 edited
    Matt, we are discussing a technique that was frequently used in horror films and especially on horror films satire from fan-made videos to "professional" movies, b-movies, gore films or even big productions like HANNIBAL (the children's choir, the latin lyrics, the kyrie, they're there in DOZENS of horror scores) or even sometimes as a part of the movie's soundtrack and not the actual score, something which suggested that a child's singing is a creepy and ominous fore-teller of something very bad to happen, usually killings.

While we could indeed make a meaningful discussion upon something more serious and substantial as in musical and / or sound devices trademarked by the movie business through the years in order to evoke certain feelings, tone and atmosphere and WHY that is as i, for one, find it very weird that a child would evoke such feelings to me normally, you interrupt the comment in smart-ass fashion that has nothing to contribute to the essence of what we are talking about AT ALL;

Now, excuse me that i can't remember the dozens of movie-titles were a child's singing was a prelude for ominous slaughter or attacks or the hundreds of times we've all seen a similar device - again linked to children - that of an empty swing going in and out in the dark and its metallic scraping sound that served in the same way as the pre-mentioned child's vocal and freaked us out, but really, if you have nothing of REAL VALUE to contribute just don't;

I am sorry if i came in a hostile manner to you but i've seen and taken a lot of BULLSHIT and smart-ass behavior around a lot lately, from this forum extended up to my own personal life and i just can't take it anymore.

If you REALLY want to convince me that you are unfamiliar with the use of those devices described above in a lot of horror scores through the years, then maybe my (admittedly) sarcastic comment about you only having ears for RC stuff, might be indeed true.
  3. Scribe wrote
    But how can it be such a cliche if no one can name more than a handful of scores in which it is used?

Hostage does this.
    Bless the Child.
    Interview with the Vampire.
    Alien 3.
    Someone already named Poltergeist, and The Innocents.
    The above are all solo cases, but if you add in boy chorus, then you also get a lot of things, like Hannibal and Shore's Lord of the Rings scores.

Personally I find most of the scores that use this device border on 'very good'. But the above are certainly some of the better ones. There are a lot of them. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Lalo Schifrin's Amityville Horror is the earliest example I can think of, with Poltergeist following.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    Ponyo On The Cliff By The Sea

The story is really confusing. Or undeveloped. Or just a mess. But people will say it's complex and profound, because Miyazaki is genius... rolleyes

Honestly, I believe Miyazaki has lost interest in storytelling after Princess Mononoke (Great story, great movie.)

But.

I really enjoyed it, because there was pure joy of animation... pure joy coming from pure wonderment: "wow, drawings are moving!"

The beauty of hand-drawn animation is alive here! punk

That's why I love animated movies. I'm very glad I saw it on big screen.
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    Oh forgot to say an important thing: Hisaishi's music was nice in some scenes, not as memorable as Howl or Spirited Away, though. And I felt the operatic song at main title sequence was out of place. But I loved Totoro-like playful tunes with Ponyo's theme, and uplifting music in "running on the waves" scene.

And chorus is punk
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Demetris, there was absolutely nothing smart-ass intended about my comment. There never is. I'm not like that, not in real life and certainly not on a forum where are some of the only people in the world that I "know" that I can share one of my favorite interests.

If there was anything to be read into my comment, it should be frustration because this is not the first time people have pointed out children's vocal in horror scores as a cliche, and I have asked for examples, and none have been provided. The reason I ask is because I very rarely watch horror movies, so I am not very familiar with the scores. But I LOVE the use of children's vocals in scores, and aren't aware of very many scores in which they are used, so I'm always trying to find more. So being told that children's choir is a cliche in horror movies without being told WHAT movies is like my best friend telling they saw the most amazing movie ever and then not telling me which movie it was. I just really honestly genuinely want to know what scores it's in if its used enough to be a cliche.

franz, thank you for actually answering my question
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Look above, lots of examples.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    I now officially feel unloved.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 22nd 2008
    No worries Matt, i have overreacted too, there's ultimately lots of love going around here enough for all wink beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Nobody better fucking mention 'Can You Feel The Love Tonight' from The Lion King, or so help me god I WILL murder a bunny.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Nobody better fucking mention 'Can You Feel The Love Tonight' from The Lion King, or so help me god I WILL murder a bunny.

Can you feel the love tonight?

Sorry, I just gotta see the result! wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Scribe wrote
    I now officially feel unloved.

D's a cuddly bunny Matt.

Take cover D shocked
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeAug 22nd 2008 edited
    franz_conrad wrote
    BhelPuri wrote
    Saw Jack Clayton's The Innocents ...

This is a magnificently ambiguous film. Kerr gives a very disturbing performance, and the scares are very genuine. I recently saw this on a cinema screen.

Cool! It must have been quite an experience catching it on the big screen. I was really creeped out with the movie that I could only watch half at first and completed the rest the next day. shocked
    Those who have Netflix should definitely check it out. It's available until the end of this month in the "Watch Instantly" section.

Demetris,
    Atleast the child vocals would make some sort of sense if there's a child character of interest in the film. Otherwise it's just to evoke that feeling of innocence (works for atleast some of us).
    Thankfully it is not as cliched as the wailing vocals.

franz_conrad wrote
    Scribe wrote

Hostage does this.
    Bless the Child.
    Interview with the Vampire.
    Alien 3.
    Someone already named Poltergeist, and The Innocents.

Damn you Franz! You just gave away the answers to my next game (in preparation) slant
    Ah well, back to the drawing board... wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    BhelPuri wrote

Demetris,
    Atleast the child vocals would make some sort of sense if there's a child character of interest in the film. Otherwise it's just to evoke that feeling of innocence (works for atleast some of us).

Innocence in order to scare the crap out of us? Nah...
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Christodoulides wrote

Not quite, but putting the child vocals in counterpoint to something mildly unsettling can heighten the effect i.e. something innocent in an evil world.
    For instance, check out the main title clip from the recent release of Joseph LoDuca's The Messengers
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    BhelPuri wrote

Demetris,

I'm with you. It may unsettle some people but I just think "ho-hum" rolleyes