• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeAug 29th 2008
    BOTH!!! silly
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 30th 2008
    Christodoulides wrote
    KILL.SPIDERS.NOW.ALL.OF.THEM!

Steven, are you serious or...nuts?

Like me he's just one with the world D m'boy! tongue wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 30th 2008
    Steven wrote
    BOTH!!! silly

...and that too! cheesy
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeAug 31st 2008
    Last episode of Earth: The Power of the Planet

If it were up to me, I'd make this mandatory viewing for everyone. Unfortunately it's not up to me.

This is an awesome 6 part program depicting, at the heart of it, how extremely fortunate (and I mean mind-bogglingly fortunate) we are to exist today and how stupid we are by possibly being our own demise.

I've just ordered the book that accompanies the series! This is stuff I don't want to forget in a hurry.
    •  
      CommentAuthormoonie
    • CommentTimeAug 31st 2008
    OK I recently watched the movie Ultraviolet and I enjoyed it, really good score too.
    Goldsmith Rules!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 1st 2008
    moonie wrote
    OK I recently watched the movie Ultraviolet and I enjoyed it, really good score too.

I too have the score as a guilty pleasure and it's very enjoyable indeed but actually LIKED the movie?!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  1. We saw The Machinist yesterday. What a great and terrifying journey! Christian Bale is officially the overlord of self-induced actritis now. Holy shit! I nearly didn´t recognise him in the first scene. And how well and thoughtful the story comes around, a really great movie. Good score, additionally.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    We saw The Machinist yesterday. What a great and terrifying journey! Christian Bale is officially the overlord of self-induced actritis now. Holy shit! I nearly didn´t recognise him in the first scene. And how well and thoughtful the story comes around, a really great movie. Good score, additionally.

Absolutely agree; Bale's acting in the movie is phenomenal and i quite like the Hermannesque score by Banos, one of his highlights for sure.
  2. It also reminded me of Howard´s The Village at times.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    The score? Interesting, can't recall something like that but of course it's been way long since i last gave it a spin.
  3. Steven wrote
    Last episode of Earth: The Power of the Planet

If it were up to me, I'd make this mandatory viewing for everyone. Unfortunately it's not up to me.

This is an awesome 6 part program depicting, at the heart of it, how extremely fortunate (and I mean mind-bogglingly fortunate) we are to exist today and how stupid we are by possibly being our own demise.

I've just ordered the book that accompanies the series! This is stuff I don't want to forget in a hurry.

What's this? A BBC documentary that's on the telly ATM? More importantly is it coming to blu-ray soon? It's not the televised version of the film EARTH is it?

Christodoulides wrote
    moonie wrote

I too have the score as a guilty pleasure and it's very enjoyable indeed but actually LIKED the movie?!

Yeah, Ultraviolet pretty much blows, the score had some nice moments. Milla should play more her quirky self rather than an all out action heroine, and a bad one at that...
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  4. Christodoulides wrote
    The score? Interesting, can't recall something like that but of course it's been way long since i last gave it a spin.

I don´t know whether it´s on the CD, but it certainly is in the film, multiple times. But you´re right about Hermann too, of course.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Watched SON OF RAMBOW yesterday. Bit of an overly sacchrine ending but it was still a very charming childrens film.

Joby Talbot's score was great. I loved the fact the catchy main theme was based on BBC childrens series 'Screen Test', a plot point as the kids are aiming to submit an amateur movie to the 80's show.
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    • CommentTimeSep 2nd 2008
    Years ago I saw The Bounty for the first time. I really enjoyed it and the story fascinated me.
    I'm currently reading a historical novel on the topic.

I do really want to see the original Mutiny on the Bounty.
    Any thoughts?
    Is it worth tracking down?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    omaha wrote
    Years ago I saw The Bounty for the first time. I really enjoyed it and the story fascinated me.
    I'm currently reading a historical novel on the topic.

I do really want to see the original Mutiny on the Bounty.
    Any thoughts?
    Is it worth tracking down?

Are you talking about the Mel Gibson / Anthony Hopkins version?

The only other version I've seen is Marlon Brando / Trevor Howard which is worth watching.
  5. I think he means the Brando/Howard one. Or, indeed the Gable/Laughton one.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote
    I think he means the Brando/Howard one. Or, indeed the Gable/Laughton one.

But only the Gibson/Hopkins film is titled The Bounty.
  6. So he saw that one. He wants to see MUTINY on the Bounty wink
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 2nd 2008 edited
    PawelStroinski wrote
    So he saw that one. He wants to see MUTINY on the Bounty wink

I guess the original is the Laughton/Gable film!? smile
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    I did see the Hopkins, Gibson, 80's version.
    Which of the others should I track down?
    Is Mutiny on the Bounty the 60's version?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 2nd 2008 edited
    omaha wrote

I haven't seen the Laughton/Gable version for so long I don't even remember it?

I've always had a soft spot for Brando/Howard's Bounty which if memory serves was made in 1960?, it's beautifully filmed, Trevor Howard makes a seriously impossing and strict Bligh who steals the film, Brando's "English" accent is, to be kind 'variable', but as always he's very watchable.

Fantastic score by Bronislau Kaper.
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    Timmer wrote
    omaha wrote

I've always had a soft spot for Brando/Howard's Bounty which if memory serves was made in 1960?, it's beautifully filmed, Trevor Howard makes a seriously impossing and strict Bligh who steals the film, Brando's "English" accent is, to be kind 'variable', but as always he's very watchable.

Ah, a score I should track down. I wonder if this one will be easy...
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    omaha wrote
    Timmer wrote
    omaha wrote

Ah, a score I should track down. I wonder if this one will be easy...

It's a 3 disc set on FSM label.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeSep 3rd 2008
    Saw Indigenes (Days of Glory) last night. It was France's entry for the Foreign language Oscars of 2006. I was primarily interested in it thanks to Armand Amar's score, but the movie is quite good. It's about African soldiers who fought for France during WW2, while still being racially discriminated by the French army.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    BhelPuri wrote
    Saw Indigenes (Days of Glory) last night. It was France's entry for the Foreign language Oscars of 2006. I was primarily interested in it thanks to Armand Amar's score, but the movie is quite good. It's about African soldiers who fought for France during WW2, while still being racially discriminated by the French army.

Sounds very interesting and the kind of film I like to see, unfortunately it's hard to get hold of stuff like this here.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Timmer wrote
    BhelPuri wrote
    Saw Indigenes (Days of Glory) ...

Sounds very interesting and the kind of film I like to see, unfortunately it's hard to get hold of stuff like this here.

Isn't there something like Netflix/Blockbuster dvd's-in-the-mail-service in the UK?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    BhelPuri wrote

This is probably one of the best works Amar has to showcase so far, imo. Very well done.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Christodoulides wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    The Fountain

I rewatched it. One of my all time favourite movies. (even with his faults).

Are there some discussions about the interpretation of the movie here?

Completely agree, i rarely feel as such when i watch in movie, like i did with Fountain. Top stuff.

Yes, One of the other great experiences in the same year was The Prestige. Both with Hugh Jackman (Wich I consider the top actor of his generation and much better than the Over Serious Russel Crow).

Both some of my all time favourite movies.

Speed Racer

Joel Silver is a producer, but he will never will do the work of a real producer (Bruckheimer, Spielberg....) take control of his PRODUCTIONS!

About the movie, I enjoyed some parts but Wachwsky over use this annoying narrative techniques (wich I don't know the name). I find this movie far, i mean FAR, too over the top. I know, it is supossed to be like this, like aomic or anime, but seriously wachowsly crossed this line 100000 times.

Giacchino must be still crazy to score such edited movie.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    BhelPuri wrote
    Timmer wrote
    BhelPuri wrote
    Saw Indigenes (Days of Glory) ...

Isn't there something like Netflix/Blockbuster dvd's-in-the-mail-service in the UK?

Oh yes there is. But I would rather hire the film than own it ( I have far too many DVD's as it is ) and as far as non-English language films go, most hire shops only have a limited selection mostly narrowed down to the classics of Fellini, Truffaut etc etc.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    I think I am the only person in the world who thinks Speed Racer is a fun, enjoyable, pleasant, and entirely GOOD film.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!