• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeSep 13th 2008 edited
    Fateless

I know it's hard to make a film about the Holocaust which isn't moving, but still. This film is moving. It focuses much more on an individual than most films about the subject - and the conclusion is pretty shocking, as the final narration sees the main character almost pining for life back in Buchenwald after realising that life back home is not going to be what he dreamed of.

The score is sensational. It is so daring in the way that as the film becomes more and more harrowing, the music becomes more and more beautiful - but one should expect nothing less than daring from probably the most daring film composer there's ever been. Best-scored film I've seen in a very long time.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeSep 13th 2008
    SHE
    The Dvd finally arrived and it has both the original B&W as well as the color version Harryhausen did a couple of years ago.
    Thomas smile
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    sdtom wrote
    SHE
    The Dvd finally arrived and it has both the original B&W as well as the color version Harryhausen did a couple of years ago.
    Thomas smile

Harryhausen????

You mean Hammer films surely Tom?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Fateless

I know it's hard to make a film about the Holocaust which isn't moving, but still. This film is moving. It focuses much more on an individual than most films about the subject - and the conclusion is pretty shocking, as the final narration sees the main character almost pining for life back in Birkenau after realising that life back home is not going to be what he dreamed of.

The score is sensational. It is so daring in the way that as the film becomes more and more harrowing, the music becomes more and more beautiful - but one should expect nothing less than daring from probably the most daring film composer there's ever been. Best-scored film I've seen in a very long time.

James, you've seriously got my interest in this film and I HAVE to see it!

Love the score on CD smile
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Timmer wrote
    Southall wrote
    Fateless

I know it's hard to make a film about the Holocaust which isn't moving, but still. This film is moving. It focuses much more on an individual than most films about the subject - and the conclusion is pretty shocking, as the final narration sees the main character almost pining for life back in Birkenau after realising that life back home is not going to be what he dreamed of.

Same here!
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Nope Timmer! My brain has gotten distracted but I'm talking about the 1935 original version that RKO put out with the score from Max Steiner. Two years ago Harryhausen and his company colorized the version because Cooper the original producer wanted to shoot it in color but couldn't because of budget cuts.
    Thomas smile
  1. Scribe wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Southall wrote
    Fateless

Same here!

There's an cue featuring Lisa Gerrard in the middle of the film which plays through several scenes of a montage which imposes such incredible emotion through scenes that - while harrowing - didn't necessary pull that emotion from an audience. A brilliant scoring choice to play a single cue through several scenes.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    That is such a brilliant score; the whole 'late' Morricone is, to my ears.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    sdtom wrote
    Nope Timmer! My brain has gotten distracted but I'm talking about the 1935 original version that RKO put out with the score from Max Steiner. Two years ago Harryhausen and his company colorized the version because Cooper the original producer wanted to shoot it in color but couldn't because of budget cuts.
    Thomas smile

Thanks Tom, I didn't know that. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Anthony wrote
    Steven wrote
    Yes and no. I thought some parts worked very well, especially the music/sound effects for the Joker. But much of the film was above Zimmer in my opinion, he just wasn't able to pull it off as well as the film deserved. Would have been better if JNH was the only composer perhaps? I still think Goldenthal would have been the perfect choice for this film.

Tbh, now I've heard the score, I can't think of anyone but Zimmer and JNH who I would want to score it.

Goldenthal would be my number one choice. He has a genius ability to weave his scores within the story and characters that Zimmer could only dream of. A film of this quality needed a score of equal quality, and Goldenthal would have been the man IMO.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 13th 2008 edited
    "Goldenthal would be my number one choice. He has a genius ability to weave his scores within the story and characters that Zimmer could only dream of"

I'd change this to:

"Goldenthal would be my number one choice. He has a genius ability to weave his scores within the story and characters that most could only dream of"

Seriously.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I would have settled for ANYONE able to weave an actual theme.
    GodDAMN what a missed opportunity. slant
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    True that. I genuinely believe Goldenthal has a touch of genius about him.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Martijn wrote

To be honest, I wasn't too bothered about the themes (I definitely think the Joker's music worked extremely well), I just wanted a more intelligent score to match the intelligent script. It did work, but it could and should have been better and after seeing the film. I now understand what all the fuss is about!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote

I can only comment as far as the first film goes but YES, I agree with you 110%.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    It holds even more true for the second film, I'm sad to say.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    The second film makes the first one looks like kids play. I'm in awe of Nolan's talent.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Welllll, he draws from a lot of the comic classic reboots, especially Frank Miller and the excellent team of Jeph Loeb (the commissioner was actually even named for him! smile ) and Tim Sale.
    But Nolan certainly made an excellent translation to the silver screen.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Welllll, he draws from a lot of the comic classic reboots, especially Frank Miller and the excellent team of Jeph Loeb (the commissioner was actually even named for him! smile ) and Tim Sale.
    But Nolan certainly made an excellent translation to the silver screen.

Respect for the core subject matter bears good fruit in this case.

I wonder how THE WATCHMEN will turn out?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    THE DARK KNIGHT to me, is possibly the best comic adaptation i've ever seen on the big screen.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    A bold statement Demetris!
    Thomas smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Yeah, movie-wise (script, photography, directing, editing and pace, overall tone and atmosphere) and actinh-wise. I stand by it smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    As I stated I found it entertaining, a diversion from the real world for a time.
    Thomas smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Yeah, movie-wise (script, photography, directing, editing and pace, overall tone and atmosphere) and actinh-wise. I stand by it smile

Depends on how much you know your comics?

No offence D but Martijn really knows his stuff.
  2. Christodoulides wrote
    THE DARK KNIGHT to me, is possibly the best comic adaptation i've ever seen on the big screen.

But is the competition worth talking about? (Unless we're counting comics like PERSEPOLIS.)
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  3. Depends. Burton's Batman wasn't bad, really, was it? I loved it. Nolan is probably the first to do something MORE than a simple mindless blockbuster though.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeSep 14th 2008
    I don't generally like comic book films but I watched Burton's Batman a few weeks ago and it's a pity it is probably destined to be considered the poor relation from now on. It's an excellent film, aided by a score by a composer who knew how to score such a film.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    The Happening

I have to be one of the few people who really like it.

I consider a much more "human" than his previous films. The characters are much more natural and it makes the history services the characters and not viceversa.

I love the Village and The happening more than his overrated films like Signs or The Unbreakable. ( I can't name the other film because my lips can't pronunce such silly things like that)

JNH score is really good.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    I like "The Happening" too and I agree with you about the characters. Many criticize the way Shyamalan directs his actors, making them flawed and unattractive, like the whiny-ness of Wahlberg's character in this film, the timid awkwardness of Zooey's character, and the quirkyness of the supporting cast...I think it makes the film seem more believable and human. In most movies everybody talks with perfect grammar, eloquently and with good dictation...its refreshing to see an occasional film where the characters seem like people you encounter in everyday life.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  4. Southall wrote
    I don't generally like comic book films but I watched Burton's Batman a few weeks ago and it's a pity it is probably destined to be considered the poor relation from now on. It's an excellent film, aided by a score by a composer who knew how to score such a film.

First, Elfman admitted that he had a lot of problems with scoring Batman. He was scared of the film's scope and the Joker material helped him get through it.

Second, Burton's and Nolan's vision are different beasts. I agree that Burton's film is excellent, but I can't really compare it to Nolan's series.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website