• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 7th 2008
    franz_conrad wrote
    Sorry Ralph. When someone stands up for LADY IN THE WATER, a line must be drawn in the sand, and we will be on opposite sides of it. That's a film for the 'true believers', not the film buffs.

I've not seen Lady In The Water, mostly due to all the terrible reviews I've read about it from professional critics in the media to message boards, in fact, until Ralph's "thumbs up" for the film I'd never heard anyone say a good word about it....aside from JNH's score? I'll probably see it at some point but it'll be on TV.

As for The Postman it's the sucking suckingest film that ever sucked!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Erik Woods wrote
    Aha as in I didn't know that... not AAAAHA! I'm right!

Aha! biggrin Well, you´re removed from the Disney Directory Board. Happy now? beer

Have you ever been through one?

Well, lets say I was extremely lucky. No further information needed.

And do you know why Spielberg made those comments?

Honestly, no. And what you say makes perfect sense now. Though without that context its hard to notice, but if you know it, it really becomes a totally different and acceptable aspect of the movie. But then I don´t understand why you mentioned it in the beginning. I thought you wanted to say something about farfetched directorial submeanings. The way this turns out it supports more what I said, that one should always consider the director´s personal approach, don´t you think?

While these "hidden meanings" are present they just don't have any emotional impact

On you. I couldn´t think straight for six days after watching Village.

You... you... cough... cough... liked The Postman?!?!?! shocked

Liked? I adore most of it, though it feels like five hours, I must admit.

Ralph Kruhm wrote
    My god, Lady´s Prologue alone made my hair stand up. Lady is great storytelling from start to finish.

Yikesiroonie!!!

So NOT!

Let´s end this.

Ok...

Ups. beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeJan 8th 2008 edited
    Timmer wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    Sorry Ralph. When someone stands up for LADY IN THE WATER, a line must be drawn in the sand, and we will be on opposite sides of it. That's a film for the 'true believers', not the film buffs.

I've not seen Lady In The Water, mostly due to all the terrible reviews I've read about it from professional critics in the media to message boards, in fact, until Ralph's "thumbs up" for the film I'd never heard anyone say a good word about it....aside from JNH's score? I'll probably see it at some point but it'll be on TV.

Well, it is a very unusual movie with an almost drug-imposed strangeness. It is a fairy-tale, though not in an enchanted forest, but in an enchanted apartment building, if you want (that should give you a hint what to expect) with totally strange creatures, ehm, residents.... There are so many totally crazy ideas in it that you really have to imagine being a child listening to a father who tells you this strange, but beautiful story... then it works, and very, very well. My daughter was totally engaged while watching it, like a child should. But it worked its magic on me and my wife as well.

As for The Postman it's the sucking suckingest film that ever sucked!

Depends on whether you like being sucked or not.

Oh.

I guess I should have written something else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJan 8th 2008
    The concept of Kevin Costner sucking in that way is faintly...faintmaking. slant
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  2. Sunshine : nice suprise, sci-fi thriller in the vein of Alien but without the alien, claustrophobic and full of interesting dialogue, visually impressive and nice buildup. Danny Boyle makes 'em good.

A Beautiful Mind: I like this one, especially for Russell Crowe. He really becomes John Nash, through mannerisms, gestures, his walk. I love how the viewer really descends into Nash' troubled mind, and has to find redemption along with him. The music complements the movie well.

Die Hard 4.0: haha, now this is some action flick. Bruce back to form, and with the help of a cool Justin Long. The whole tunnel scene had me jawdropped and laughing hysterically at the same time. Not as good as number 3, but it's still Die Hard. Like the winks to Kamen's previous Die Hard scores.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    franz_conrad wrote
    That's a film for the 'true believers', not the film buffs.

Reminds me of the 80's-90's arguments between "true metalheads" and "posers".
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  3. Martijn wrote
    The concept of Kevin Costner sucking in that way is faintly...faintmaking. slant

Personally, I had Olivia Williams in mind, but you are free to fantasize any way you want, of course... biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    DreamTheater wrote
    Sunshine : nice suprise, sci-fi thriller in the vein of Alien but without the alien, claustrophobic and full of interesting dialogue, visually impressive and nice buildup. Danny Boyle makes 'em good.

Absolutely loved it, its atmosphere is killer and the plot really tight. Excellent movie indeed and i am desperately trying to find John Murphy's own mystique and delightful (although particularly Cliff Martinez-influenced) score.
  4. They wanted to do an iTunes Version, but i´m still waiting for that one, too... a shame, really.

Great film, too. Bashed by the many, loved by the few. I seem to get drawn to movies like those... biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Really? I rarely care for movie reviews as it's not my area and i usually focus on opinions from this board but i'd be deeply interested to hear some arguments from people who actually didn't like SUNSHINE; 'cause honestly, i cannot think of a single logical argument against such an incredibly fresh and coherent movie like this. Why would any non-biased and open-minded viewer not like it?
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    Many argue that the last third is a totally different movie out of a totally different genre which ruins the whole experience.

I absolutely disagree, of course. beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Bull. The third act is the perfectly logical result of every single bit through the first 2 parts of the movie, every single element, dialog, clue, hint, build-up led to that and it's wholly gripping, tight, not overdone and totally effective overall. To dismiss it as disjoint and irrelevant to the first 2/3's of the film it can only mean you were sleeping or ******* throughout them and you only woke up for the final act.
  5. Thou speak true, my liege.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Christodoulides wrote
    Bull. The third act is the perfectly logical result of every single bit through the first 2 parts of the movie, every single element, dialog, clue, hint, build-up led to that and it's wholly gripping, tight, not overdone and totally effective overall. To dismiss it as disjoint and irrelevant to the first 2/3's of the film it can only mean you were sleeping or ******* throughout them and you only woke up for the final act.

Nah, that third act ruined a lot of the cold atmosphere the first two acts had. Just like I Am Legend. It doesn't ruin the whole movie, but it defenitely doesn't do anything god by changing it so drastically. In Sunshine, that extra storyline was out of place, but I guess necassary... Lucky that Sunshine takes up the right line again 10minutes before the end with that spectacular scene and the music/ambient/sfx cue from John Murphy and Underworld.
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I was really disappointed by Sunshine.

The whole of the last half was an extreme mess, a lot of which made no sense.

p.s. An atom bomb the size of Manhatten to reignite the Sun? A bit like trying to drain the Atlantic ocean using a wine glass rolleyes

The score was pretty good.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    As Good As It Gets: My mom got this for Christmas from someone at work and made me watch it with her last night when I should have been revising rolleyes . However I really enjoyed it and thought the performances, Nicholson and Kinear in particular, were fantastic. A nice surprise.

smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Timmer wrote

I was gripped by this film until the last third or so. Mainly for the same reason. biggrin
  6. LSH wrote
    Timmer wrote

I was gripped by this film until the last third or so. Mainly for the same reason. biggrin

Sunshine was a very worthwhile movie. But it did seem that someone in the movie theatre had mixed up the final couple of reels of film.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Partition: I´ve started watching it just for Brian Tyler´s score (which is perfect combined with the story and the cinematography by the way) and I´ve finally enjoyed the film overall, due mostly to the performances of the leading roles (specially Kristin Kreuk and Jimy Mistry, plus Neve Campbell), even if the story is predictable and we´ve watched it hundreds of times in the movies. But just for the score and the production design is wortwhile.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 9th 2008 edited
    I've been sick lately, so I've rewatched all three extended LOTR films - one pr. day for three days and finished the last one just now. My God, this is the umpteenth time I've seen through them all, and the magnificence just keeps on cementing itself! smile
    I am extremely serious.
  7. I prefer my abridged, non-linear edit of trilogy highlights that runs for 45 minutes. tongue
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  8. Last night I saw AVP:R.

Most of you know that I´m quite easy to satisfy. I loved Sunshine, The Postman, and yes, even Lady in the Water. If there´s something good in a movie that I can hold on to, I can easily forget what´s wrong with it and have a good time.

So you might know what it means when i say that AVP:R is one of the worst movies I´ve seen in a very long time.

Technically, it´s all done rather nicely, but since there is nothing interesting going on visually, I don´t care. The nothingness is brilliantly done, so to say.

The action is boring. There is not one single good build-up, and dozens of great opportunities to do spectacular things were wasted, only to join the pile of dead bodies this movie leaves behind.

The story is practically non-existent and makes part 1 a contender for the screenplay Oscar. The Aliens haunt a small american town, and what happens is exactly what is to be expected: Poeple die. They are unprepared, they are naive, they are dumb, they are frightened, they have no chance. So all that happens on screen is massacre after massacre of people who are totally unable to fight back. A slaughter of men and women, young and old, and even the brutal killing of children makes a good scene in the eyes of the Brothers Strauss. And you know what the biggest problem is? I didn´t care. There was not a single character in that whole fucking movie I cared about. Because they are only introduced to die seconds later. Not a single character gets a proper characterization, and all you know about the few people who survive this fits on the point of a needle.

There are so many pointless things going on I had a hard time even for the short 93 minutes this thing lasts. I could ramble on about thousands of problems this movie has, including the slaughter of the mythology while pretending to fit into, the missing of true emotional in- and output, the list goes on and on.

I have to admit that I might have had a better experience if I had just closed my eyes when the movie rolled: Some sound effects were great, and Brian Tyler´s score was the only thing that came even close to the greatness we were blessed with more than 20 years ago.

What a mess and waste.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeJan 9th 2008
    Close Encounters was famous , with other reasons, because it'sone of the few times Aliens were presented in a good way and good feelings....

But How good can be conidered kiddnap kids and people from your planet? spin
  9. Yeah, who knows what they did to them on that ship...? I guess Randy Quaid knows... biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Yeah, who knows what they did to them on that ship...? I guess Randy Quaid knows... biggrin

biggrin and Randy Quaid was not very happy with them....
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Nautilus wrote
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Yeah, who knows what they did to them on that ship...? I guess Randy Quaid knows... biggrin

biggrin and Randy Quaid was not very happy with them....

Or maybe he liked it too much.... biggrin
  10. I was watching some of the Blade Runner "working print" the other day after Ridley Scott, in the short introduction to this version, mentioned that it was a "work-in-progress", and that a portion of the film (particularly the end of the movie) still contained the temp score.

I watched some of the ending to the movie. And after being used to hearing Vangelis' music in the final version, to hear the temp music instead was quite a jarring experience. I can understand now how directors, etc can become joined at the hip with the temp score. It must be really difficult for them to hear original music laid over visuals previously scored with temp music.

One day I'll watch this version all the way through and see if I can identify some of the temp music used. Does anyone already know what was used as the temp score?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeJan 11th 2008
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    One day I'll watch this version all the way through and see if I can identify some of the temp music used. Does anyone already know what was used as the temp score?

Euh... I've read it somewhere... slant No, I would have to look that one up again shame Wasn't it something from Vangelis' earlier works? I haven't watched the workprint version yet myself.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeJan 12th 2008
    Aliens Vs Predator: Requiem
    vomit vomit vomit vomit vomit

Thank God Tyler put together a great CD, because the score in the movie is (besides almost unlistenable due to the sound effects) edited and chopped like hell.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 12th 2008
    heh. Thank God for the CD then!