• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeJan 12th 2008 edited
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    One day I'll watch this version all the way through and see if I can identify some of the temp music used. Does anyone already know what was used as the temp score?

Just read somewhere that they used the song Qu'ran from Brian Eno in the Taffy Lewis clubscene and tempscore from Jerry Goldsmith in the final scene. If you read the liner notes from the recent Alien score (and I know you have) you could've guessed what tempscore they used in this workprint wink It's portions of Goldsmiths Freud and Planet of the Apes!

As for the rest of the film, they use parts of the already completed score by Vangelis or early versions of the music, sometimes there's even no music yet smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeJan 12th 2008 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    heh. Thank God for the CD then!

Yes, if it had been only for the movie, I would never have cared for a cd of the score. I´m afraid (lucky us) that Tyler wrote looong cues so that the music editor / directors could cut and chop the cues in mini cues at his will. Damn, the film editing in AVP2 is so fuckin disgusting; at least sometimes we can see something of the film: that´s when the darkness of the film or the poor edit job allows us of course. slant
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    • CommentAuthordjdave
    • CommentTimeJan 13th 2008
    I'm watching UFO right now. I think it's stood the test of time, and although she isn't in this episode, Gabrielle Drake looked very sexy in her purple wig.

Oh, by the way....the theme by Barry Gray is fabulous.
  1. The theme is indeed fabulous.

I'm not sure, though, how the rest of the score is. I seem to recall that it's not a patch on something like Space: 1999 or Thunderbirds, etc?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 14th 2008
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    The theme is indeed fabulous.

I'm not sure, though, how the rest of the score is. I seem to recall that it's not a patch on something like Space: 1999 or Thunderbirds, etc?

There's plenty of good underscore in UFO.....now if only Silva could get around to releasing it as was promised quite a few years ago now?!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. Timmer wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    The theme is indeed fabulous.

There's plenty of good underscore in UFO.....now if only Silva could get around to releasing it as was promised quite a few years ago now?!

I'd heard some clips from a fan site - maybe taken from some other release (Japanese?) and it sounded a bit psychadelic? I think UFO is showing on one of the ITV channels...I may try and do some "research"!

As well as the great main title theme for UFO, I also thought that the end credits sequence was awesome as well. That final dramatic chord at the end!!! But, nine-times-out-of-ten the ITV announcer would drown it out.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  3. I watched a couple of DVD extras featuring Jerry Goldsmith (Alien) and James Horner (Aliens). Good to see them giving an honest opinion of what it was really like.
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    • CommentTimeJan 15th 2008
    I just saw Papillion (1973) for the first time.
    There were portions I really enjoyed, while there was much that I strongly disliked.
    I think most of that came from the style of the time period of the early 70's.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 15th 2008
    omaha wrote
    There were portions I really enjoyed, while there was much that I strongly disliked.

I've always considered it an excellent film!

Can I ask what it was you disliked about it?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  4. For people who come to films today, a lot of fine seventies films don't come across. Personally I enjoy all the zooms!
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 16th 2008
    Just saw Mike Hodges' THE CROUPIER from 1998 or thereabouts last night. I've never really liked Hodges, but this was OK, I guess. Clive Owen's role was really weird....very difficult to nail the tone or character, as there was little consistency in it.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    • CommentTimeJan 17th 2008 edited
    Timmer wrote
    omaha wrote

I've always considered it an excellent film!

Can I ask what it was you disliked about it?

I did really enjoy it.
    I just didn't like some of the jumps made throughout the plot. I understand that this may have been done on purpose to symbolize what it was like for the character. I also thought much more could have been done in adding to characters and what they were going through. It was a long film though. They could not have added much more at all.
    McQueen and Hoffman were perfect though. Paillion was such an interesting character to see McQueen play. I kind of want to read the book after seeing the movie.
  5. Thor wrote
    Just saw Mike Hodges' THE CROUPIER from 1998 or thereabouts last night. I've never really liked Hodges, but this was OK, I guess. Clive Owen's role was really weird....very difficult to nail the tone or character, as there was little consistency in it.

That's an interesting film, that one. My memory of the one time I saw it was that I spent a long time reading things into it afterwards.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeJan 17th 2008 edited
    ONE HOUR PHOTO

A chilling observation of loneliness and what it can do to you, while at the same time a film that might do the same thing for delivering your pictures to a photoshop as Psycho did for the shower. A good pace and mood, with a terrific performance by Williams. Yet in the second act, it gets predictable really fast, rolling into mainstream thriller rather than complex psychology. Which was to be expected, of course. A very good thriller nonetheless.
  6. I found that was a film where I spent a lot of time with a dreadful feeling 'oh no! he's going to do that!', 'oh no! now he's going to do that!!' Quite intriguing - though I was glad he didn't turn out to be a typical stalker type. The 'avenging the broken family' idea seemed a bit more interesting.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeJan 19th 2008
    D-War

So bad that it is funny. But the truth be told, there´s a total mayhem sequence in Los Angeles Downtown that has nothing to envy to the one we saw in Transformers. Pure fun and destruction, kudos to the CGI team. The rest is like rolleyes confused but at least it´s only 80 minutes. But I´d be happy if someone explains to me why suddenly, in the last 10 minutes of the film, Los Angeles becomes Mordor: for a moment I thought I was high.
    Oh, Jablonsky´s score works pretty well; not that the film was very inspiring though. But nice action tracks.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 20th 2008
    Just saw John Woo's seminal 1993 action HARD TARGET with the always reliable Sir Jean Claude van Damme. What a glorious masterpiece! I'm sure that neither Stanley Kubrick, Jean-Luc Godard nor Ingmar Bergman could have done it better. Truly the filmatic artpiece of the 20th century.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    Just saw John Woo's seminal 1993 action HARD TARGET with the always reliable Sir Jean Claude van Damme. What a glorious masterpiece! I'm sure that neither Stanley Kubrick, Jean-Luc Godard nor Ingmar Bergman could have done it better. Truly the filmatic artpiece of the 20th century.

Totally !0001 % agree! punk

A true masterpiece of modern times, what a shame this wasn't made decades ago and then we'd never have to put up with idiots continually harping on about shoddy works like Citizen Kane and other mediochre so called "classics" and everyone would understand the searing magnitude of Woo's film which should be bowed to and worshiped god-like by all!
  7. Thor, you're truly irredeemable!!! As much as I like slow motion arrows sailing past Lance Hendrickson's head, Woo himself had admitted that this film showed he had a lot to learn about working in the West.

And I saw:

LIFE OF BRIAN - Again. Truly - 'Biggus Dickus' is the funniest scene I've ever seen in any film. I say this solely based on the fact that on all three times I've seen it, I have been laughing so hard that I can't breathe by the end. This film really is the triumph of the Python team's cinema adventures.

I HEART HUCKABEES - I was dismayed, as this film was not as funny as I remembered it. Maybe I was in the wrong mood, but I was surprised how little I laughed. Three years ago - the one time I saw it before - it had me in stitches with its tale of the rocky road in life between nihilism and explaining away everything. Some great satire here though!

BLACK BOOK - Paul Verhoeven's film is good. Pretty silly, but if it's the choice of this or more of his empty American films (not counting STARSHIP TROOPERS, of course!), give me more of this. Carice Van Houten is a wonderful lead for a film like this, and together with Sebastian Koch she makes the film a challenge to Ang Lee's otherwise universally-better LUST, CAUTION. Anne Dudley's score hits some pretty obvious notes, and makes me wish that instead of TIMELINE or STAR TREK NEMESIS, Jerry Goldsmith's final film had been this one for his old collaborator Verhoeven. Much like Craig Armstrong's music for ELIZABETH (but the film is much better here), Dudley could have made a good film very good, but instead made a good film feel a bit tired and familiar on a musical level.

PRIMER - This film would drive most people up the wall. I think it's pretty good. REALLY GOOD, when you consider they spent $7000 shooting it. Just goes to show, good ideas are worth a lot, but don't necessarily cost a lot.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    franz_conrad wrote
    LIFE OF BRIAN - Again. Truly - 'Biggus Dickus' is the funniest scene I've ever seen in any film. I say this solely based on the fact that on all three times I've seen it, I have been laughing so hard that I can't breathe by the end. This film really is the triumph of the Python team's cinema adventures.

He has the highest wank in Wome!

Anyway, recent viewing for me has included:

CHARLIE WILSON'S WAR - The best-written dialogue in any film I've seen in a long time. It's not a brilliant film overall, but is very handsome to look at, is beautifully-acted (Tom Hanks is surprisingly excellent, but the show is well and truly stolen by the wonderful Philip Seymour Hoffman) and very well-scored indeed. I'm amazed a pair of Hollywood lefties like Aaron Sorkin and Mike Nichols would produce a film which seems to be so glorifying Reagan-ish gung-ho extremes, but then the underlying message about Afghanistan and subsequently Iraq is pretty well-done (though probably would pass a lot of people by).

I AM LEGEND - Will Smith is a charismatic and engaging actor who has impressed me in many films, from when I first saw him in Six Degrees of Separation, and he carries this well. Sound effects are done tremendously well, creating real tension all by themselves (certainly neither screenwriter nor director is able to do that) but it's not a good film.

LETHAL WEAPON 4 - yes, I sat through this, not quite sure how. Richard Donner - dear oh dear. However, it seemed like a cinematic masterpiece compared with...

TIMELINE - oh Jerry Goldsmith, how did you allow yourself to become associated with such tat. An excruciatingly bad film in all respects, from such a richly cinematic novel (though admittedly a silly one). Goldsmith would have lent it some respectability had his score remained in it, as he always did with this nonsense he scored, and it's interesting how Brian Tyler's score - however impressive it always sounded to me on CD - fails to do that.

TRUE LIES - I hadn't watched this in years, and it was nowhere near as good as I remembered. It's so tongue-in-cheek, but one of those films where I'm not entirely sure that everyone was in on the joke.

THE TERMINAL - I think this is the only Spielberg film other than The Sugarland Express which I hadn't seen. It's pleasant enough, but so inconsequential and requires a lot of patience to forgive the terribly unlikely leaps of logic in the story. John Williams's score, sorry to say, does it no favours, plastered all over it like a gloopy, sticky, sweet mess.
  8. One last for the weekend...

SUNSHINE - Given the talent assembled for this, I'm very confused why they took such an interesting concept and departed from the true path. Perhaps it's ironic that the crew depart from their mission to intercept the older ship, because that's what the makers did in trying to remake the last third of EVENT HORIZON! slant
    John Murphy's score brings the film to life in two sequences - the repairs / death of the captain scene; and the scene where Cillian Murphy jumps onto the bomb headed for the sun. Ironically, the music is barely different to some themes he wrote for MIAMI VICE at times. The rest is pretty ordinary sound design / ambient style music. (I thought Clint Mansell's score for THE FOUNTAIN would have actually suited this film much than Aronofsky's.)
    Some beautiful effects and imagery, and great symbolic portent. But what a shame that the plot they pursued was so... small and insignificant and poorly-executed.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Michael, do you have Murphy's stuff for MIAMI VICE? (i won't comment on your view on the film 'cause.........arrrrrrrghhhhhhhhh!!!!! wink you know heh)
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  9. I only have Murphy's stuff from the MIAMI VICE album, but I remember the music from the film quite well. wink
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeJan 21st 2008 edited
    Let's hope Demetris doesn't see this! tongue

Lost season 2 - I called it craptacular at first, but I'll admit around episode 14 it starts getting good again. I need to get through season 3 quickly as 4 starts 3rd Feb! spin

Of course, Giacchino's music is excellent, and my favourite theme (loosely called) is still the mad string section for Danielle.
  10. Christodoulides wrote
    Michael, do you have Murphy's stuff for MIAMI VICE? (i won't comment on your view on the film 'cause.........arrrrrrrghhhhhhhhh!!!!! wink you know heh)

Fine by me. I know better than to try and talk someone out of liking a film. It's even harder than trying to talk them out of disliking a film, and I've little-to-no success at that. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJan 21st 2008
    I celebrated the arrival of my wonderful new TV and Blu-Ray player by watching my first two HD movies.

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix - well-made, but the story seemed rather inconsequential. I lost interest in the books after the third one - I hope the final two provide a little more for the filmmakers to hang their hats on than this one did.

Die Hard 4 (!) - a solid action film, very entertaining, and I'm willing to ignore the silliness of some of the unlikely recoveries from apparently life-ending "accidents" because it features real stunts involving real people on real sets and no CGI. Finally, someone's worked out it looks miles better.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    So, would you say HD is really worth it? Is there a good noticable difference? When I see an HD TV playing a DVD in a shop I really can't see what the fuss is about. Maybe that's because there's no standard def ones to compare them with nowadays. tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    You have to see an HDTV playing an HD-DVD of a movie shot in HD camera to see the real difference mate, not plain dvd.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 25th 2008
    88 MINUTES

I thought I was going to enjoy a firm and coherent movie in a nice night-in with the sweeety but what I got was the most meaningless and childishly-put together crime flick that wanted to be a psychological thriller i've seen of late. Al Pacino seemed totally bored and surprisingly unnatural throughout, the plot was simply ridiculous and heavily predictable, the acting was very poor (was very fun to see everyone reacting as cold and 'normal' as like going through everyday routine, when cars and buildings were blowing up around them and people were getting chop-chop killed and tortured in their surroundings, flats and houses) and the final...."evil" one's revelation and acting performance was a serious laugh-out-loud situation. Ed Shearmur's score was a completely impersonal and careless Harry Gregson Williams-for-Tony-Scott wannabe and the whole stupid flick was as forgettable as your everyday walk to the grocerie's.
  11. By chance I saw a Blue Ray presentation of Night at the Museum on an HD screen in a shop two days ago. I swear I could see the tiniest structures on Ben Stiller´s face, whether I wanted or not. Though there was a scene where it´s snowing that really looked spectacular. That convinced me that I was really looking at the next step in home entertainment and not some publicity stunt.