• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeDec 22nd 2008
    I haven't posted in this thread for ages but I've been seeing quite a bit of movies in recent times, so much that I don't even feel like listening to cds anymore. Maybe I should dispose of them all shocked

Saw last night...

The Visitor
    An excellent film on many themes-- a college professor finds unlikely guests in his apartment, and how they change his life forms the primary theme. But it's also about discovering one's passion for music and an immigrant's American dream. Richard Jenkins' performance should really have fetched him some nominations (too bad he got nothing from the Golden Globes).
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I have days where I think I should at the very least never talk about what I think as far as music is concerned.
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    sdtom wrote
    I just found the music quite loud James

You really have to start quoting posts because there are times we have no idea who or what you are referencing.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeDec 22nd 2008 edited
    Indiana Jones and The Crystal Skull Steven Spielberg(BluRay)

At least that's what it should have been called. A title as clunky as Kingdom of the Crystal Skull just adds to the whole disappointment of this movie.

It's entertaining, and some of the sets are fantastic, I admit. Even some of the ideas for the action sequences are quite good, but as a whole it just doesn't work as well as it should. Indeed some of the action sequences weren't so great. Yes, Indiana Jones is all about defying belief and just having a good time, but the scene where our heroes fall down three water falls in an amphibious vehicle after having landed on a tree which gently drops them into the river just felt ridiculous to me. They would have died a horrible death, but it simply cuts to a scene of them climbing out of the water unscathed. What might have looked like a good idea on script just doesn't translate into anything particularly special on screen.

I wanted to enjoy this movie so much, I wanted it to be a great film, and more to the point I wanted it to be a great Indiana Jones film. But it just isn't. It's merely an okay adventure flick with the added bonus of Harrison Ford.

It also had too much CGI. I'm pretty sure the CGI gofers (or whatever they are) and the CGI monkeys were George's idea. What a stupid idea.

John Williams' score isn't much to write home about if I'm honest, I haven't really given it many listens since its release. Nice theme for Mutt, but little else that excites me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Oh, and the Spalko character played by Cate Blanchett is one of the most irritating bad guys (gals) put to screen. Really fucking annoying character.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    James was talking about the film Batman the Beginning
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    sdtom wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    sdtom wrote
    I just found the music quite loud James

You really have to start quoting posts because there are times we have no idea who or what you are referencing.

-Erik-

James was talking about the film Batman the Beginning

wink

(Also it's Batman Begins.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    You know the film I'm referring to. The first Christian Slater film with the score by Zimmer/Howard.
  1. It's Christian Bale.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    sdtom wrote
    You know the film I'm referring to. The first Christian Slater film with the score by Zimmer/Howard.

Not everyone would Tom. The quote function is there for a reason. Without it, we'd have to trawl through all other posts just to find what someone might be referencing in any given post. dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I watched the Tommy Lee Jones film called The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada. I give it a + because it was different. The music was ok.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    How was Tiomkin's score to the film?
  2. Steven, lay it off a bit smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Actually, I was referring to this post. Perfectly valid question I think.

(I'm only having a little dig, nothing to get your panties in a twist. wink)
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Steven has no idea how I get even. He won't like it.

Tiomkin would have written a far superior score to the one that Beltrami produced.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    biggrin

stopwar

(And although I'm not very familiar with Tiomkin's music, I'm pretty sure you're right.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    The film cried for a theme to remember. Beltrami produced generic material.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I like the 'Who Let The Cows Out?' cue near the end of the film, but yes, I agree. I can't see why it's so hyped to be honest.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    Oh, and the Spalko character played by Cate Blanchett is one of the most irritating bad guys (gals) put to screen. Really fucking annoying character.

To me Cate Blanchett is always annoying. Except for BABEL.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote
    Steven wrote

Martijn will loose any respect he might have had for me when I say this, but yes, I agree. I don't like her.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Steven wrote

Martijn will loose any respect he might have had for me when I say this, but yes, I agree. I don't like her.

Martijn Schmartijn......I like her angry
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Yeah, but you're Bristolian scum! biggrin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Yeah, but you're Bristolian scum! biggrin

Essex boy!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Ah.
    You may have a point there.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Steven wrote

Martijn Schmartijn......I like her angry

Yeah; and spiders too. Makes a point on itself.

biggrin
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    spider

Unlike some I don't have to live in continual fear biggrin cool
  3. bunny
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I see.
    Greece is anti-Cate, but already in selfdestructive meltdown, so no need for me to take action there.

The UK either dislikes the marvellous Cate or has an unnatural affinity towards spiders, but is already steeply heading towards economic apocalypse, so again: no action required.

I can just sit back and relax: the Gods are all taking care of things for me.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 23rd 2008
    What Cate film are we talking about?
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 23rd 2008
    Tonight I will watch an older Brando film, One Eyed Jacks, one that has an excellent score from Hugo Friedhofer.