• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 10th 2008
    Anyone else here see the new BBC series BoneKickers last night? It's kind of Indiana Jones meets Da Vinci Code meets Time Team but written by the brilliant script writers behind such genius as East Enders and Footballers Wives crossed with those French & Saunders "hilarious" christmas movie send up specials.

I strongly recommend it!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    and yes Steven, I was in extremely sarcastic mode wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I missed it. slant

I'm told it would have appealed to me for a very particular reason! biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorChristoph
    Birthday girl : without Kidman, it would be a lot less.

Slow Burn : pretty bad story,actors, average on the whole line.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Timmer wrote
    I watched THE GODFATHER again last night for the first time in many years and what a brilliant film it is, deservedly mentioned time after time in all time great film lists. powerful film making at it's very best and a classic score by Nino Rota to boot.

If there's anyone here who's not seen it then that's your loss!

I'll watch Part II tonight.

Oh, what incredible films those are. Virtually flawless. Francis Ford Coppola in the 1970s - wrote Patton and then directed the two Godfather films, The Conversation and Apocalypse Now - what a stunning decade for him.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Steven wrote
    I missed it. slant

Because it's aimed at pre-teen girls?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Steven wrote
    I missed it. slant

"SPLUTTER!!!" LOL biggrin

You made me spill my coffee wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Timmer wrote
    I watched THE GODFATHER again last night for the first time in many years and what a brilliant film it is, deservedly mentioned time after time in all time great film lists. powerful film making at it's very best and a classic score by Nino Rota to boot.

If there's anyone here who's not seen it then that's your loss!

I'll watch Part II tonight.

Oh, what incredible films those are. Virtually flawless. Francis Ford Coppola in the 1970s - wrote Patton and then directed the two Godfather films, The Conversation and Apocalypse Now - what a stunning decade for him.

The 1970's was a great decade for American films, still unsurpassed imo.

I'm going to watch Godfather III this evening, it'll be the second time I've seen it, it'll be interesting to see if I have a more possitive view of it after re-evaluation later?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    Southall wrote
    Steven wrote
    I missed it. slant

"SPLUTTER!!!" LOL biggrin

You made me spill my coffee wink

And mine! shocked
  1. Timmer wrote
    Anyone else here see the new BBC series BoneKickers last night? It's kind of Indiana Jones meets Da Vinci Code meets Time Team but written by the brilliant script writers behind such genius as East Enders and Footballers Wives crossed with those French & Saunders "hilarious" christmas movie send up specials.

I strongly recommend it!

I thought that it was so bad that it was good! I thought that it was great how they could just rip out some artifact from the ground. And deciding to do a "dendro-date" on some wood by taking a sample and seemingly just pop over to another lab and voila there's a date before you know it! (I think that I've been watching too much Time Team.)

Dear knows what real archeologists thought of it!!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeJul 10th 2008 edited
    Southall wrote
    Steven wrote
    I missed it. slant

lol Good one, James! biggrin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Timmer wrote

I strongly recommend it!

I thought that it was so bad that it was good! I thought that it was great how they could just rip out some artifact from the ground. And deciding to do a "dendro-date" on some wood by taking a sample and seemingly just pop over to another lab and voila there's a date before you know it! (I think that I've been watching too much Time Team.)

Dear knows what real archeologists thought of it!!

I have two good friends who are archeologists ( one of whom you know from a post at the other board ) so I'll be sure to ask......presuming they've seen it? wink
  2. I did mention to Anne that you were acquainted with true archeologists.

I believe that Mark Horton - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Horton_(archaeologist) - is the "technical expert" on the show. I was surprised that "ritual" wasn't mentioned very much (if at all).

I've never been too impressed with Horton on shows like Time Team, Coast, etc.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  3. Ralph Kruhm wrote

Second movie was Hancock.

Effects, score, actors, everything great. Story, well, that depends... it is turned upside down, in the way that From Dusk Til Dawn is suddenly a totally different movie from one second to the next. If you are prepared for that, go see it. Charlize Theron is worth every buck you have. But what shall I give it? Well, it depends... the general audience might hate it... ...but I give it 9/10 for a superhero movie, and 7/10 as a general rating, but keep in mind that I´m easy to satisfy and even loved Emmerich´s Godzilla.

Godzilla is awesome entertainment, apart from the obvious reason, I love the tongue in cheek acting of Jean Reno and how the monster is portrayed not as a monster at all but just a misunderstood overgrown mutant lizard that accidently destroys everything in its path because it's so humongous (spelling?). It's silly at times, sure but that's part of its charm, I like movies that don't take themselves too seriously, even if the characters are fearing for their lives and thinking the apocalypse is near.

Tommy_boy and I are going to see Hancock, we both like Will Smith and this looks like fun, even if you say the movie takes a different direction, it don't bother me. Charlize is worth my every buck and then some, totally agree on that. dizzy
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  4. DreamTheater wrote
    Godzilla is awesome entertainment, apart from the obvious reason, I love the tongue in cheek acting of Jean Reno and how the monster is portrayed not as a monster at all but just a misunderstood overgrown mutant lizard that accidently destroys everything in its path because it's so humongous (spelling?). It's silly at times, sure but that's part of its charm, I like movies that don't take themselves too seriously, even if the characters are fearing for their lives and thinking the apocalypse is near.

Yup, it´s pure fun. Like that helicopter pilot screaming, "I can´t get rid of it!", and the whole theatre audience thinks, "try flying upwards, dude?" Great fun, the whole thing.

Tommy_boy and I are going to see Hancock, we both like Will Smith and this looks like fun, even if you say the movie takes a different direction, it don't bother me. Charlize is worth my every buck and then some, totally agree on that. dizzy

If you agree on that, you´re in for a blast. Have fun. When are you going?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I did mention to Anne that you were acquainted with true archeologists.

I believe that Mark Horton - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Horton_(archaeologist) - is the "technical expert" on the show. I was surprised that "ritual" wasn't mentioned very much (if at all).

I've never been too impressed with Horton on shows like Time Team, Coast, etc.

He's okay'ish.

Ian ( Ozi ) is working on some Roman fort somewhere.
  5. Ralph Kruhm wrote
    If you agree on that, you´re in for a blast. Have fun. When are you going?

The coming weekend.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorChristoph
    • CommentTimeJul 11th 2008
    Rescue Dawn : Christian Bale impresses in every movie he's in.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Christoph wrote
    Rescue Dawn : Christian Bale impresses in every movie he's in.

You liked the score? Top stuff!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorChristoph
    Off course punk , Badelt is one of my favourites. The fact that he can deliver scores like rescue dawn/the pledge etc. and is also able to compose stuff like POTC truely fascinates me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Christoph wrote
    Off course punk , Badelt is one of my favourites. The fact that he can deliver scores like rescue dawn/the pledge etc. and is also able to compose stuff like POTC truely fascinates me.

Which btw (POTC, the score) is FAR, FAR better than what most people think, imo. AWE is the top composition of the three but the first one is rawer with a simpler, more rock-oriented approach and damn entertaining !
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote
    Christoph wrote

Which btw (POTC, the score) is FAR, FAR better than what most people think, imo. AWE is the top composition of the three but the first one is rawer with a simpler, more rock-oriented approach and damn entertaining !

Bah humbug!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    When was the last time you actually LISTENED to it Steven? Play it loud when you're in the mood one day mate and then we talk wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Pfft, I'd much rather keep my unfair harsh opinion of it, it's more fun. And I'm stubborn. biggrin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Pfft, I'd much rather keep my unfair harsh opinion of it, it's more fun. And I'm stubborn. biggrin

It's atrocious imo!

Even though I've warmed to Badelt more now over the last year or so.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeJul 12th 2008 edited
    HANCOCK

If you've seen the trailer then no spoilers ahead. If you haven't, then only minor ones.

No way near as bad as the reviews! This is not like any other superhero movie. It's not "lighearted" like Spider-Man or anything. It's violent and full of swearing and crude humor. And I'm wondering why some parents took their 10 year old kids to see it last night too...

...oh yeah, how it was marketed. If all you've seen is the trailer it just looks like a superhero comedy, but after the first 20 minutes, all the things like the SUV chase, the train crash and the whale are over and done with and it turns into a drama. It gets a bit lost here and doesn't really know where it wants to go, and then it just turns into a violent bloody mess at the end.

Smith has some good lines, and the fact that it's not like every other superhero movie is good and what makes it interesting - it's just a shame the writers forgot this in the final 15 minutes.

It's not the best script in the world, but it never gets cringe worthy.

The action scenes are impressive, but the CGI looks a bit dodgy here and there. The whale is still my favourite. biggrin

As for the music, it's probably about as strong in the movie as it is on CD. That's either good or bad depending on who you are! Personally I like it. There are a couple of pieces that sound a little cheesy in the film (John, Meet Ray for instance), but also some that work wonders (Indestructible, Death And Transfiguration).

I'm usually not too bothered when score is replaced with songs, but the fact that Peter Berg/the producers/someone decided to throw out SUV Chase for R&B shit really annoys me. Even their new choice of music didn't fit the scene at all.

The Trailer is also totally different in the movie, and is actually a lot better. It's got a really nice piano version of the main theme, opposed to the drone-like cue on CD.

There's also a great unreleased cue that rips it into the Superman theme (at the beginning of the bank scene for anyone else who's seen it).

I must say the highlight cue is still The Moon And The Superhero, which covers the final scene and the beginning of the credits. AWESOME! And by far one of my favorite Powell cues of all time now.

Movie: ***/5
    Score: *** 1/2 / 5
    Score in movie: ***/5
  6. yeah, I loved the Superman music in the bank sequence. So you are telling me it is not on the CD?
    That's typical, the more I hear music, the more I realize some of favorite parts are not on the CD

- Hellboy, basically half of the brilliant music is missing (even the main theme can you believe it?)
    - Lost 3: The opening cue is different in the final seconds, and totally shit from what I heard in the series
    - X-Men 3: why change a winning opening statement of a theme on CD. In the film it sounded so much cooler
    - Hancock: a total fun piece of several minutes of the bank sequence.

I'm sorry but this is starting to annoy me severely, and it is all Varese here
    pffff angry
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeJul 13th 2008 edited
    Saw The Count of Monte Cristo last night. Great movie, certainly not a direct adaptation (I've been reading the book for school summer reading), but still very good as a film. Everything about this film is exceptional, including the music! Time to go find out where I can get the soundtrack! Sadly, it's no longer in stock on Amazon.com, and is nonexistent in the iTunes store. sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJul 13th 2008
    Kung Fu Panda

Without a doubt the best Dreamworks Animation film I've ever seen. They've finally come close to reaching Pixar quality (and I'd pick Kung Fu Panda over Toy Story 1 & 2, A Bug's Life and Cars any day).

A film that manages to keep me interested all the way through, keep me smiling all the way through and keep me caring for the characters is a success in my books. It's not original, but it is a helluva lot of fun!

Awesome score too, certainly one of my favourites from this year.
  7. TheTelmarine wrote
    Saw The Count of Monte Cristo last night. Great movie, certainly not a direct adaptation (I've been reading the book for school summer reading), but still very good as a film. Everything about this film is exceptional, including the music! Time to go find out where I can get the soundtrack! Sadly, it's no longer in stock on Amazon.com, and is nonexistent in the iTunes store. sad

it is indeed a great film, and a terrifc accompaning score. I'm so surprised to find out how out of print this release is shocked
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh