• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeDec 31st 2008 edited
    William wrote
    RV: The Mummy

Pretty good film! Can't wait to see the second and third installments. smile

They get progressively... wait... no... the sequels just plain suck!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 31st 2008
    Erik Woods wrote
    William wrote

They get progressively... wait... no... they the sequels just plain suck!

-Erik-

I'm a sucker for punishment and will probably watch the 3rd one wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    William wrote

-Erik-

I couldn't even finish watching it!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    William wrote

-Erik-

Oh dear!!? shocked ...and like me you have a stoopid threshold.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Erik Woods wrote
    William wrote

-Erik-

Maybe not as inspired as the first, but I always found number 2 equally good fun. There are some good scenes, but also very ridiculous ones. And the third will never find its way into my player, if all goes well.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeDec 31st 2008 edited
    Nid de Guepes (The Nest)

Wow! I thoroughly enjoyed this thriller! A captured mobster is being transported with high security. A bunch of clever crooks are pulling a heist. What if both events were to occur at the same place? Fantastic for most parts (no, I did not find it over-the-top)! And a brilliant Desplat score. His action themes and that gorgeous string theme over the last few minutes are simply awesome. I tried listening to the cd a long time back and gave up after a few minutes. Guess it's time to check it again.

Looks like this is what led the director to make Hostage a few years later.

And oh! Nadia Fares is the cutest thing since Alice Taglioni. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    A few comments aboutVALKYRIE

1....Overall I would say it was a good not great film.

2....You have to get your brain focused that Cruise is a German, not so easy to do.

3....The story based on true facts is an excellent one, well told.

4....Ottman used a lot of drums when underscore could have been substituted.

5....The score did work just fine in the picture. There was a clever scene in a bomb situation where a 78 of Valkyrie was being played and when the first bomb went off it skipped to the end and when the second bomb exploded it skipped back and started playing again.

6....The tension level was excellent.

7....The difficulty of course in telling a story like this is that we know the ending.

Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    William wrote

-Erik-

Oh dear!!? shocked ...and like me you have a stoopid threshold.

It´s up to you Tim, but trust me, you DO NOT NEED to watch Mummy 3. The allegedly big epic finale is not big, is not epic, no nothing. Well, it is embarrassing actually. Better go and play an hour and a half of good pool.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    DreamTheater wrote
    And the third will never find its way into my player, if all goes well.

What exactly makes the third so terrible?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    William wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

Bad script, bad music, pointless excuse for another mummy story, horribly cast, bad use of visual effects... you name it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Steven wrote
    William wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

Bad script, bad music, pointless excuse for another mummy story, horribly cast, bad use of visual effects... you name it.

Ah, I see.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeJan 1st 2009
    RV: The Mummy Returns

Good film, though the Scorpian King isn't all that believable, IMO.
  2. William wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

the fact Rachel Weisz character is now played by Maria Bello at least destroys half of the fun for me, and the entire chemistry is gone

While fun at times, Mummy 3 feels nothing like one and two
    Even Jonathan isn't funny at all

Shows Sommers did his best to throw some good old entertainment into a special effects laden package

The first 2 are for me equally entertaining, if the first more believable (if you can even call it that wink )
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    William wrote

Some of the CGI was awful.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    William wrote

The first film still has the best CGI in my opinion. It's not just about the detail of the 3D rendering and textures, it's the artistic use of CGI that counts a lot towards the final effect. Hence why the CGI in The Mummy 3 SUCKS!
    • CommentAuthormarkrayen
    • CommentTimeJan 1st 2009 edited
    I saw an old Hitchcock film on new years eve, "I Confess" starring Montgomery Clift and with a score from Dimitri Tiomkin. The story, about a priest suspected for murder after his confidentiality prevented him from answering a detective's questions, is typically suspenseful and much helped from some excellent photography. But I felt that the long anticipated ending was storywise predictable and left me quite unsatisfied in the end. The weakest element however, was the score. Every time there was a pause in dialogue or a brief transition scene Tiomkin inserted some sort of virtuosic interchangable fanfare (typical, as he was a former concert pianist...) that communicated absolutely nothing that was relevant to the structure or dramaturgical content of the film, and with the single function to fill out the lack of sound and keep the story moving. There is in particular one ridiculous scene in which Montgomery Clift's character, father Logan, crosses the street. This transition scene is about ten or twelve seconds long, and accompanied by an equal amount of ridiculous dramatic brass chords that have absolutely no relevance what so ever.

I also saw "The Incredible Hulk" with a score from Craig Armstrong. Its a stereotypical, yet exciting action flick where the only thing that really bothered me was the score. Though excellent trough its functionalities, it seemed to be halting along due to the amount of unmusical loop-like repetitions and unhealthy dependance on percussion grooves. Because the general pace and intenisty of the music was always the same, the climaxes seemed awfully stressed and unengaging. But I suppose this is a symptom common to most Hollywood blockbusters.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeJan 2nd 2009
    Timmer wrote
    William wrote

Agreed.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeJan 2nd 2009 edited
    RV: The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor

I actually like it! (Though I could do without the random Yetis.) And the score actually sounds pretty good in the context of the film! Guess I'll have to go revisit the OST... dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I watched the Odd Couple with Matthau and Lemmon and spent much of the time laughing at the Neil Simon one liners.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    William wrote

I actually like it! (Though I could have done without the random Yetis.) And the score actually sounds pretty good in the context of the film! Guess I'll have to go revisit the OST... dizzy

Yeti's!? That's the only reason I want to see the ruddy film!! shocked
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    William wrote

I actually like it! (Though I could have done without the random Yetis.) And the score actually sounds pretty good in the context of the film! Guess I'll have to go revisit the OST... dizzy

Yeti's!? That's the only reason I want to see the ruddy film!! shocked

Yetis and Brenden Fraser sealed the deal for me. Unfortunately even they can't save what is a terrible movie (though I'm glad someone was able to enjoy it).
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    L'Auberge Espagnole (The Spanish Apartment)

Awesome! Just awesome! There's not too much of a plot to this. It's just about a French student on an exchange program to Spain, and his diverse room-mates. The camaraderie they share is delightful! I guess if you've been an international student living with other room-mates then it's hard to not like this one.

And Cristina Brondo is still cute!

I have to watch the sequel to this film- Les Poupées Russes (Russian Dolls)
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Not sure tonight. Perhaps Marty.
  3. Marty? Scorsese?

When we're at it...

Goodfellas

Saw it for the third or fourth time and WHAT A MOVIE. Everybody acts great, the paradocumentary form is amazing. Pesci is especially good. And De Niro. Nothing much can be said. Just perfect.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeJan 4th 2009
    The Curios Case of Benjamin BUtton

Mmmm.....What a missed oportunity.

The movie starts to work after 1 hour and half, when the love story really beggins.

What really annoys me is, you never see the complexity of a Young man in the body of a old man. Bradd Pitt monochromatic performance and David Fincher cold direction are uncapable of give deep to his main character.

Except for the final 20 minuts of the movie, the whole story could be from the point of view of a normal guy.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Nautilus wrote
    The Curios Case of Benjamin BUtton

Mmmm.....What a missed oportunity.

The movie starts to work after 1 hour and half, when the love story really beggins.

What really annoys me is, you never see the complexity of a Young man in the body of a old man. Bradd Pitt monochromatic performance and David Fincher cold direction are uncapable of give deep to his main character.

Except for the final 20 minuts of the movie, the whole story could be from the point of view of a normal guy.

I disagree completely!
    The movie works since minute one like a clockwork, never being too overdramatic nor crying inducing (that goes for the last part of the movie). Fincher´s direction is PERFECT, changing the tone of his previous films but with his style in every single moment of the film. And at the ending is simply sublime in all aspects.
    As for Brad Pitt, well, I´ve always had the same problem with him: a moment a think he is a good (even a really good) actor, and the minute later I think he is performing like a robot.

As for Desplat´s score, I´v got to say it´s really good, shining in the appropriate moments and providing overall a great score to the visuals. As with the direction, never over the top or overdramatic.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    • CommentAuthormarkrayen
    Is it out already? I have to wait until mid-February to see that film! Argghh!

RV - Kung-Fu Panda

A very charming and funny film which I thoroughly enjoyed. The only problem was the exaggerated contrast between the protagonist and anagonist, which blows the expectations of their inevitable meeting way out of proportion. I loved the score, and had heard portions of it already. But was confused at how it was basically a western score for a movie set in China? Sure there were orientalisms here and there, but first of all it sounded like a rocked up western score to me. I have no problem with this personally, but don't composers, as the film makers at large, have an obligation to honestly embrace the culture of the country of which the film is set? Lets say the Chinese make a film set in America, and the composer characterizes both the characters and environment through ethnic Chinese pentatonism and a tonal vocabulary western ears are unaquainted to. Wouldn't that be "wrong"? I don't know...
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJan 4th 2009 edited
    markrayen wrote
    Is it out already? I have to wait until mid-February to see that film! Argghh!

RV - Kung-Fu Panda

A very charming and funny film which I thoroughly enjoyed. The only problem was the exaggerated contrast between the protagonist and anagonist, which blows the expectations of their inevitable meeting way out of proportion. I loved the score, and had heard portions of it already. But was confused at how it was basically a western score for a movie set in China? Sure there were orientalisms here and there, but first of all it sounded like a rocked up western score to me. I have no problem with this personally, but don't composers, as the film makers at large, have an obligation to honestly embrace the culture of the country of which the film is set? Lets say the Chinese make a film set in America, and the composer characterizes both the characters and environment through ethnic Chinese pentatonism and a tonal vocabulary western ears are unaquainted to. Wouldn't that be "wrong"? I don't know...

Whether or not the film makers have an obligation to embrace a culture, I think this film was blatantly aimed at a Western audience with only a few Chinese voice actors. Most of the film's stars were American, and the antagonistic was our very own Ian McShane ("But he's a panda... [incredulous] You're a panda?"). So I can understand why the score was primarily Western with the odd oriental orchestrations.

Plus it's not a serious film and has talking animals in it who know kung fu, so I think there's little need for an accurate portrayal of any culture.
    • CommentAuthormarkrayen
    Hmmm, I think you're right. The music was excellent anyway, so who cares I guess. But it seemed like a strange approach to me and I wonder if it was intentional, or purely by intuition...
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    CCBB is an extremely difficult story to tell.