• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 10th 2011 edited
    NP : ARCHANDROID - Janelle Monae

I'd never heard of this girl until I saw her at this years Glastonbury where I was just blown to pieces, this album is BRILLIANT! The influences range from Fleetwood Mac to Pink Floyd, from Michael Jackson to Prince, from Carlos Santana to Violent Femmes and from Claude Debussy to Bernard Herrmann.

Truly stunning!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 10th 2011
    Timmer wrote
    NP : ARCHANDROID - Janelle Monae

I'd never heard of this girl until I saw her at this years Glastonbury where I was just blown to pieces, this album is BRILLIANT! The influences range from Fleetwood Mac to Pink Floyd, from Michael Jackson to Prince, from Carlos Santana to Violent Femmes and from Claude Debussy to Bernard Herrmann.

Truly stunning!

Wow, impressive namedropping there.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    It's hard to pin the whole thing down but I certainly recommend it BIG TIME!

The Debussy bit is more than a name drop, one of the tracks uses the most gorgeous interpolation of Clair De Lune I've heard, and Monae's voice is beautiful.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJul 10th 2011
    Hmmmm....I'm having a hard time getting into it, mainly because the overall style is still an R&B one. Which I don't like.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I'm not overly taken with R&B but here it's BRILLIANT! ( IMO ) It's much more than just R&B but I do see your point.

Oh yeah, I'm playing it a 2nd time right now punk
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 12th 2011
    Timmer wrote
    NP : THE David Whitaker SONGBOOK

A real mish-mash compilation of Whitaker's work from his Pop beginings like The Last Time under the name THE ANDREW OLDHAM ORCHESTRA, a now infamous piece due to it's sampling by pop band THE VERVE to later fair like his contributions to French group AIR, it also contains 4 tracks from his beautiful score to Run Wild, Run Free, a boy and his horse movie starring Mark Lester and John Mills.

My favourite track is Pavane, the liner notes give no indication of where this comes from but it's a stunningly beautiful piece that I can only think was written as a homage to French composer Gabriel Faure, it really is that good.

David Whitaker's superb talents are seriously lacking in the world of soundtrack CD releases with Doctor Jeckyll and Sister Hyde being nearly released several times, the above mentioned Run Wild, Run Free which was only ever released on LP and a tiny smattering of his work for HAMMER on various compilation CD's, The Sword and The Sorceror and Harry, He is Here are, I think, the only two soundtrack releases of Whitaker's work released.

NP : yeah

Such a good, albeit ecclectic, album.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJul 12th 2011
    St. Elsewhere - Gnarls Barkley

I think this may the album that brought Cee Lo Green to the attention of a larger public. Very good amalgam between soulful pop and more streetwise Rhythm & Bluesy funk.

Am I being weird if every time I hear their song Crazy, I'm thinking that Morricone must have been a MASSIVE influence there? (It's mainly the background chorus and the chord progression here. VERY old-style Ennio!)
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 13th 2011
    Martijn wrote
    St. Elsewhere - Gnarls Barkley

I think this may the album that brought Cee Lo Green to the attention of a larger public. Very good amalgam between soulful pop and more streetwise Rhythm & Bluesy funk.

Am I being weird if every time I hear their song Crazy, I'm thinking that Morricone must have been a MASSIVE influence there? (It's mainly the background chorus and the chord progression here. VERY old-style Ennio!)

It wouldn't surprise me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I love it when I'm right. smile

In a 2006 interview with The New York Times, Danger Mouse said: "I brought in a song that I felt was a complete Ennio Morricone ripoff, (Morricone is a composer of spaghetti-western scores) but Cee-Lo and I started talking, and I somehow got off on this tangent about how people won't take an artist seriously unless they're insane. And we were saying that if we really wanted this album to work, the best move would be to just kill ourselves. That's how audiences think; it's retarded. So we started jokingly discussing ways in which we could make people think we were crazy. We talked about this for hours, and then I went home. But while I was away, Cee-Lo took that conversation and made it into 'Crazy,' which we recorded in one take. That's the whole story. The lyrics are his interpretation of that conversation."

From here.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Well done mate, good detective work and a Timmer's 500 kudos points for excellent superbness in the field of music ripoff* detection beer

*Dangermouse's description, not mine wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 13th 2011 edited
    NP : THE EMI YEARS : 1957-1960 - John Barry

This is mostly his JB7 Rock & Roll years stuff but does include a few tracks from film and TV work, two tracks from BEAT GIRL, one from NEVER LET GO and the track Hit & Miss which was the long running theme for BBC pop quiz show JUKE BOX JURY, this compilation also includes Barry singing, and though his voice isn't that bad, I can understand why he wished he could personally get hold of every copy and destroy them.

I've always had a soft spot for this track...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEyPUnG-lJg

...unfortunately I can't find the far punchier one included on the album I'm playing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJul 18th 2011
    NP: SYMPHONY NO. 4 IN A MINOR, OP. 63.... Jean Sibelius. This is an extremely dark work offering little in the way of hope. It is the type of music that could fit into a bleak science fiction film.
    Tom smile
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 18th 2011
    A large influence on film composers for sure.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJul 21st 2011
    Got a new recording the first symphony of Borodin.
    tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 23rd 2011 edited
    NP: ALAN PARSONS PLAYLIST (The Alan Parsons Project)

An iTunes playlist I just made, including their saddest and most soulful songs, in memories of the people who lost their lives in recent events. It made me well up all over again. This has struck me much harder than I had expected.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJul 23rd 2011
    sad

hug
    We're all thinking of Norway today, Thor.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 23rd 2011
    yeah hug
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    • CommentTimeJul 24th 2011
    NP: Back to Black ~ Amy Winehouse
    WP: Frank
    I couldn't play anything else today. Amazing voice, wonderful albums, of my favourites when I'm driving. I hope she finally found the peace she was longing for.
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJul 24th 2011
    Shostakovich Symphony No. 9
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 25th 2011
    Stavroula wrote
    NP: Back to Black ~ Amy Winehouse
    WP: Frank
    I couldn't play anything else today. Amazing voice, wonderful albums, of my favourites when I'm driving. I hope she finally found the peace she was longing for.

A sad loss but mostly of her own making, I'll sound like a broken record if I keep mentioning what a waste of talent she was, I expected it and yet it still touched me, very, very sad loss.

I'm pleased you're enjoying those albums Stavi, I think both are excellent.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJul 25th 2011
    Taras Bulba/Janacek.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 26th 2011
    NP : THE BEST OF - Madness

I have to be in the right mood for stuff like this, and with the sun shinning right now I sure am! The Nutty Boys sure had an infectious sound that produced a multitude of hits, so god darned good too, I wanna put a trilby, sunglasses, drainpipes and ska away.

chicken
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    ...and baggy trousers.
    Don't forget the baggy trousers!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 26th 2011 edited
    Martijn wrote
    ...and baggy trousers.
    Don't forget the baggy trousers!

Of course, all in glorious black & white

:baggy:

:wide-trousers:

ermmmm?

bhangra
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 26th 2011 edited
    A track that came up just now took me a few minutes to work out what it was, the TARZAN theme from the old Ron Ely TV series.

There's been a few film / TV themes given the Ska treatment, most famously would be Tiomkin's The Guns of Navarone theme.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHxEijSG7fg
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : SCHOOL DAYS - Stanley Clarke

Classic 70's album of jazz funk cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : 100% ACID JAZZ - Various Artists

Groovy compilation featuring tracks from US 3, Brand New Heavies, Freakpower, Jamiroquai, James Taylor etc etc, very nice indeed! love
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJul 27th 2011
    Gliere's Harp Concerto. A wonderful piece. Hard to imagine he was this stodgy looking Russian.
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeJul 27th 2011 edited
    NP: HELPLESSNESS BLUES - FLEET FOXES

These guys have been one of my favourite bands since a close friend introduced me to their first album two years ago. Though I prefer the more polished and memorable sound of their debut effort, this is full of haunting folksy melodies, rich vocal harmonies, and beautifully textured instrumental passages which feature more than the occasional nod to Morricone and the like. Recommended.

cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeAug 1st 2011
    http://sdtom.wordpress.com/2011/07/31/q … tycopland/

The original orchestration of the Quiet City from Copland which contains the theme from Our Town.
    Tom