• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 2nd 2011
    NP : INCANTATIONS - Mike Oldfield

One of my very favourite works, I love it to bits! love
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeAug 4th 2011
    Western Classics from Delos which I'll review for them.
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 5th 2011
    Timmer wrote

This is a different album from the one above, this is newly remastered and contains 2 CD's and a DVD containing the original remastered album plus a lot of bonus tracks plus a live performance complete with orchestra and rock musicians playing Incantations.

Brilliant BRILLIANT work, Mike Oldfield is one of lifes true geniuses.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeAug 6th 2011
    One of my dear father's favourite ever albums.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 6th 2011
    LSH wrote
    One of my dear father's favourite ever albums.

Then if he hasn't already got it I recommend you tell him about the new remastered release, or better still buy it for him as a gift.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeAug 8th 2011
    Howard Hanson Symphony No. 3
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeAug 8th 2011 edited
    sdtom wrote

Don't know this one at all. Obviously I am familiar with his Second Symphony, "Romantic" from the use of it at the end of Alien. Apparently he didn't like that it was used in the closing credits without his permission.

I have the whole Symphony - I think on the Mercury "Hanson Conducts Hanson" CD - but I don't listen to the whole piece very often.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    sdtom wrote

Don't know this one at all. Obviously I am familiar with his Second Symphony, "Romantic" from the use of it at the end of Alien. Apparently he didn't like that it was used in the closing credits without his permission.

I have the whole Symphony - I think on the Mercury "Hanson Conducts Hanson" CD - but I don't listen to the whole piece very often.

You're truly missing something special if you've missed out on this one. The third movement a scherzo had to be an influence on the western writing of Hollywood.

http://www.amazon.com/Howard-Hanson-Sym … amp;sr=1-2

The above link is the recording that I have. I have a complete set of Hanson works.
    Tom
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : TOSCA - Giacomo Puccini

awesome music, AWESOME!

Opera isn't my bag at all but I do like a few and this is one of them, what incredible music, by the gods it's incredible.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    http://sdtom.wordpress.com/2011/08/08/western-classics/

My Delos choice of the month
    tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 9th 2011 edited
    NP: MYSTERIOUS MOUNTAIN (Alan Hovhaness)

Just coming off of Williams' FIVE SACRED TREES, which is also excellent, but this one's even better! Tim and I have swooned over this for quite some time now.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 9th 2011
    Absolutely. It's a stunning work.
  1. Timmer wrote
    Timmer wrote

This is a different album from the one above, this is newly remastered and contains 2 CD's and a DVD containing the original remastered album plus a lot of bonus tracks plus a live performance complete with orchestra and rock musicians playing Incantations.

Brilliant BRILLIANT work, Mike Oldfield is one of lifes true geniuses.

Curiously enough, at the film school I teach at, there's a girl who turned out to be Mike Oldfield's niece. Her father, Terry Oldfield, was kind enough to compose some original tracks for the film she produced. There's a copy of the film on Vimeo called 'Aquario'.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    That's cool! cool

Terry Oldfield plays on a few of Mike's albums ( I'm sure he's on Incantations ) and has written music for TV documentaries, I believe his score for THE TROJANS was released, at least on LP anyway.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : Jamie Cullum interviews Pat Metheny

This is on BBC 2 right now, Metheny talks to Jamie Cullum about his life, work and influences.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 10th 2011
    NP : AMERICANS - John Barry

Brilliant album, a long time favourite of mine ( well, eventually, considering I HATED it when I first heard it in 1976 ), Universal France did a fantastic favour releasing this on CD.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    sdtom wrote

tom

This CD has one movement from Mt. St. Helens by Hovhaness his 50th symphony. Might look into this one Tim.
  2. NP: Live at the Acropolis (Yanni)

The world's gone mad. I want a piece.
    punk
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 10th 2011 edited
    sdtom wrote
    sdtom wrote

tom

This CD has one movement from Mt. St. Helens by Hovhaness his 50th symphony. Might look into this one Tim.

It looks interesting Tom but a bit too bitty for me, I prefer my Hovhaness, Hanson, Grofe and Copland ( all of which I'm familiar with on that release ) as the complete works.

It would be great if more film music fans looked into the works of these great composers, so many people complain about the state of todays film music and yet they continue to buy albums and continue to be disappointed and yet there's an incredibly vast and rich world of orchestral music waiting to be discovered if only they would open their minds and ears.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    As I said in the review it is an excellent introduction and at $9.95 a very fair deal. Billy the Kid is complete as the suite written by Copland.
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: Live at the Acropolis (Yanni)

The world's gone mad. I want a piece.
    punk

There are some great catchy composition in that album. Yanni's music maybe as maudlin as can be, but he's got some great melodies. Nostalgia is a great composition for piano and orchestra. And the final track "End of August" so nice.

His later Tribute album is noteworthy for some excellent music in the same contemporary orchestral mode.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : SYMPHONY # 5 - Dmitri Shostakovitch

Amazing work.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeAug 11th 2011
    NP: LEGEND OF THE SKERRIES composed by Hugo Alfven

The Swedish modern day version of Richard Strauss except not nearly as heavy sounding. His orchestral color is bright.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeAug 11th 2011 edited
    NP: Yanni Live @ The Acropolis

After franz's initial post, I remembered that I haven't heard this enjoyable album in a long time. It's very enjoyable orchestral pop, with catchy melodies and lively orchestrations with synthesizer parts being treated as part of the symphonic arrangement, not a replacement. I'll have to listen to the Tribute album after this.

"nostalgia" is one of my favorite musical pieces of all time. It starts out with a nice soft piano solo, and then back by a nice upper string/synth combo. Then the whole orchestra has joins in and the mood of the piece switches gear to become this expansive symphony.

I remember being mesmerized by the players while watching this thing on TV when they first premiered it on PBS. Great stuff
  3. Yes, I saw 'Nostalgia' on TV too, and it was what got me hooked.
    If Yanni worked with those orchestrators regularly on his albums, I think people would like the music more.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeAug 12th 2011 edited
    franz_conrad wrote
    Yes, I saw 'Nostalgia' on TV too, and it was what got me hooked.
    If Yanni worked with those orchestrators regularly on his albums, I think people would like the music more.

FWIW, I remember that Tribute does feature the same orchestrator(s) and was performed live as well.

Most of his other albums just were mostly him on synthesizer. The nice melodies are there, but the results weren't as engaging.
  4. Yeah, I've heard TRIBUTE. The best stuff is good. ('Love is all' and 'Niki e nana' though are deadly.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeAug 12th 2011
    franz_conrad wrote
    Yeah, I've heard TRIBUTE. The best stuff is good. ('Love is all' and 'Niki e nana' though are deadly.)

Umm yeah....

I'm reminded of another composer/pianist who dabbled in orchestral conversion. David Foster's "The Symphony Session" is a very good conversion. There's a track in there "Water Fountain" that feature the orchestral version of his score to the Michael J Fox movie "The Secrets of my Success" (one of my favorite movie). Too bad this came out before he did the James Bond-esque spoof "If Looks Could Kill" or else we would have got a snippet of score on this album.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: SINGLES & REMIXES (Juno Reactor)

Some great ones (often with a dark, filmic quality), others I've long since grown tired of, like "Conga Fury".
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : TUBULAR BELLS III - Mike Oldfield

This is the first time I've heard this in ages, for some reason I thought I didn't like it? confused Well, I was wrong! This is EXCELLENT!!!