• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 15th 2011
    NP: ANOTHER DAY ON EARTH (Brian Eno)

Strange and offbeat, as usual, but pleasing.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeApr 15th 2011
    I've not heard the release you have. As to the Tale of the Priest and his Worker Balda it is somewhat cartoon like except for the Dream track which really borders on slow cool west coast jazz. He made fine use of the saxophone.
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorJim Ware
    • CommentTimeApr 16th 2011 edited
    NP: Reel Life - The Private Music of Film Composers Vol.1

An intriguing compilation of chamber music by Kamen, Shore, Broughton and others. It includes a recording of Shore's quirky Hughie as recently performed in Lucerne.

Kamen's Cut Sleeves is beautiful, with some intricate woodwind writing.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 17th 2011
    NP : HAIL TO THE THIEF - Radiohead

excellent album! punk cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Jim Ware wrote
    NP: Reel Life - The Private Music of Film Composers Vol.1

An intriguing compilation of chamber music by Kamen, Shore, Broughton and others. It includes a recording of Shore's quirky Hughie as recently performed in Lucerne.

Kamen's Cut Sleeves is beautiful, with some intricate woodwind writing.

I too have this. Listened to it once and have never gone back to it again.I frankly don't remember it and should go back and relisten.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    The Planets, a wonderfu work.
  1. NP: Metropolis Symphony - Michael Daugherty

Listening to the fifth movement, "Red Cape Tango", and am loving hearing Dies Irae played as a tango!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTintin
    • CommentTimeApr 18th 2011
    Timmer wrote
    NP : INCANTATIONS - Mike Oldfield

One of my all time favourite albums, absolutely brilliant, the man IS a genius.

Hi Tim! Yes, indeed.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 18th 2011
    Tintin wrote
    Timmer wrote
    NP : INCANTATIONS - Mike Oldfield

One of my all time favourite albums, absolutely brilliant, the man IS a genius.

Hi Tim! Yes, indeed.

beer

It's a shame he's so shy, I'd love love to see him live.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 19th 2011
    NP: EARTH MOVING THE SUN (Man With No Name)

Oldfashioned psytrance from the 90's! Love it! smile
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Heroines in Film Music from Carl Davis.
    Tom smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: DEMENTED (Hallucinogen)

More psytrance classics....this stuff gets me in Friday mood, and it's only Tuesday!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeApr 21st 2011
    Glazunov Symphony No. 7
    Tom smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 22nd 2011
    NP: MUSIC FOR FILMS (Brian Eno)

No, I didn't post it in the wrong thread. It's a concept album with tracks from "fictional" films. Superb moody stuff.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Watching Snooker and...

NP : THE COLLECTION - Frank Sinatra

Bliss! love
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Stenka Razin by Glazunov. This orchestral tone poem is about as Russian as you'll ever hear. The song about the Volga Boatmen is featured.
    Tom
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : SECRET STORY - Pat Metheny Group

cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 23rd 2011 edited
    NP: RAJA RAM'S STASH BAG (Raja Ram)

Ram is a legend of Goa/psytrance, and this is a pretty lean, but cool collection. Pretty "acid trip" cover too.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 23rd 2011
    I have some Ram on a compilation, good stuff too!
  2. After listening to Radical Face's "Welcome Home" I'm listening to some other of their tracks - including "Wrapped In Piano Strings" and "Winter Is Coming". I wouldn't say I enjoy all of their stuff but these tracks are excellent.

Also listening to Electric President's "Safe and Sound" and "Ten Thousand Lines". Also excellent.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorJim Ware
    • CommentTimeApr 24th 2011
    Kepler - Philip Glass

This is fantastic. I've been drawn back to this repeatedly over the last couple of months. The last two movements (Emphemerides and Finale) are among the most powerful orchestral and choral music ever penned by Glass.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 25th 2011
    I must hear this!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeApr 25th 2011
    Me too, the Glass that is
  3. Jim Ware wrote
    Kepler - Philip Glass

This is fantastic. I've been drawn back to this repeatedly over the last couple of months. The last two movements (Emphemerides and Finale) are among the most powerful orchestral and choral music ever penned by Glass.

I was looking into this and notice that it's an opera: something I do tend to avoid with some vigour. Obviously, the choral would be worth hearing but as soon as I hear the warbling of the soloists then I just switch off. "Your loss" I hear people say, but I have standards! wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 26th 2011
    I'm with you on that Alan, I can only take a limited amount of Opera, I'd like to hear more of an opinion on this from Jim.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeApr 27th 2011
    Overture on Greek Themes a pretty incredible work if you consider the fact that Glazunov wasn't even 16 when he composed it.
    Tom
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : SYMPHONY # 5 - Ralph Vaughan Williams

It really doesn't get much better than this.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    the only point to argue is which Symphony. As you know I have a soft spot in my heart for Antarctica
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    ANTARCTICA is a sublime work but in this warm sunny weather Symphony # 5 is perfect right now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeApr 28th 2011
    Timmer wrote
    ANTARCTICA is a sublime work but in this warm sunny weather Symphony # 5 is perfect right now.

Quite taken by it. I'd give it a top 100 Classical rating.
    Tom