• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJun 2nd 2011
    More Gliere. This time his Red Poppy Suite, a wonderful work
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeJun 3rd 2011
    NP: LOVE OVER GOLD - DIRE STRAITS

Fuckin' A.

cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJun 3rd 2011
    This morning it is Tchaikovsky and his 4th Symphony. One of the many excellent recordings I have is Karajan and the Berlin Philharmonic.
    Tom smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJun 6th 2011
    Uuno Klami and his overtures
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    LSH wrote
    NP: LOVE OVER GOLD - DIRE STRAITS

Fuckin' A.

cool

"Fuckin A" You gotta say it like Chris from THE SOPRANOS for it to sound cool! wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Beethoven Symphony No. 1
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 7th 2011 edited
    Timmer wrote
    NP : STARS END - David Bedford

My second listen in two days. An awesome avant guarde work performed by the Royal Philharmonic orchestra conducted by Vernon Handley and featuring Mike Oldfield on guitar and bass guitar loved by ( Me ) and derided as "artsy fartsy" by ( Martijn and Steven ) tongue

Thor wave

Besides Mike Oldfield, David Bedford has done orchestrations for a number of artists and bands including Roy Harper, Camel, Madness and Frankie Goes To Hollywood amongst many others ( superb arrangements on Welcome To The Pleasuredome ), all of these I am well aware of but looking on wikipedia ( a source I do not take as gospel ) it says he's also done orchestrating for a~ha? I know a~ha have had tracks augmented with orchestra but I didn't know this, do you know whether this is a fact? Perhaps you could look in some appropriate album credits?

NP : TWELVE HOURS OF SUNSET - David Bedford

An amazing work for choir and orchestra, so subtle it conveys static minimalism and yet it constantly changes ( the best way of describing this is that's it's like a more accessable, more listenable version of Ligeti's 2001 music ), I could listen to this over and over again and still hear something new in it, one of the, if not The most meditative orchestral works I've ever heard, I find it relaxing and beautiful.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJun 8th 2011
    I just picked up for under $20.00 a 16 CD set of Mahler on EMI. I'm listening to his piano quartet for the very first time.
    Tom smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 9th 2011
    NP : SYMPHONY # 5 - Dmitri Shostakovitch

love
  1. A masterpiece indeed.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 10th 2011
    He's amongst my top 5 classical composers, a genius!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: L'ABSENTE (Yann Tiersen)

Perfect for a rainy day and when you're feeling a bit down.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    NP: L'ABSENTE (Yann Tiersen)

Perfect for a rainy day and when you're feeling a bit down.

Thor, did you see my query to you in my above post ( NP : David Bedford ) ?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Yeah, I believe you've touted Bedford's horn before. Something I need to check out in a streaming service, for sure. Is there anything on youtube, I wonder?
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    Yeah, I believe you've touted Bedford's horn before. Something I need to check out in a streaming service, for sure. Is there anything on youtube, I wonder?

There's not much on youtube and even if there was, his work is so ecclectic it wouldn't be representative of his out-put.

What I was actually asking about is the orchestral arrangements for a~ha, I wondered if you could check the albums to find out which one(s) he orchestrated for?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 10th 2011 edited
    I love this piece by Bedford, very film music like...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEApLRTy … re=related

...and this very different piece which I find ecstatic...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VV0RtQ_B … re=related

Most of Bedford's works are concept albums usually based around a science fiction theme.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Thanks! Will check them out.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. Film music trivia related to Bedford - he was the choral director on The Mission! I found that out on, when I finally bought the CD on the Kraków festival!
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Film music trivia related to Bedford - he was the choral director on The Mission! I found that out on, when I finally bought the CD on the Kraków festival!

Ahhh, I'm well aware of that smile

Bedford has done some TV scoring too for Hammer House of Horror.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 11th 2011 edited
    NP: PIPER AT THE GATES OF DAWN (Pink Floyd)

I have this thing now, of going through my artist collections by year. As far as non-film music is concerned, I've now begun on my PF collection all over again. smile
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 11th 2011
    Thor wrote
    NP: PIPER AT THE GATES OF DAWN (Pink Floyd)

I have this thing now, of going through my artist collections by year. As far as non-film music is concerned, I've now begun on my PF collection all over again. smile

cool I've never been a fan of this early album but it has it's moments.

NP : MELODY A.M. - Royksopp

A gorgeous album, absolutely perfect for this chilled out sunny Saturday.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I agree, Tim, I've never been a big fan of the Barrett sound (even though I do own his 3CD solo box set), and think things really started with the second:

NP: A SAUCERFUL OF SECRETS (Pink Floyd)

Esp. the powerhouse "Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun". Great prog psychedelia.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    yeap! That's more like it beer punk
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : NEVER FOR EVER - Kate Bush

cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 12th 2011
    NP: UMMAGUMMA (Pink Floyd)

Both the live album and the studio album are brilliant displays of their avantgarde rock. Mezmerizing.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 12th 2011
    NP : THERE & BACK - Jeff Beck

cool punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJun 12th 2011 edited
    NP: Derivations: Morton Gould. Pretty much forgotten as an American composer and such a shame. This CD features the University of Kansas Wind Ensemble in 5 works. Very nice for a Sunday morning.
    Thomas smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 13th 2011 edited
    NP: ATOM HEARTH MOTHER (Pink Floyd)

For some reason, the band members don't seem to like this album, but I love it. Lots of orchestral and choral brilliance, co-written by Ron Geesin with whom Waters collaborated on the score THE BODY! Perhaps the closest they've been to Alan Parsons Project.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 13th 2011
    Yeap! GREAT album.

I must say though that I prefer Atom HEART Mother wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 13th 2011
    Timmer wrote
    Yeap! GREAT album.

I must say though that I prefer Atom HEART Mother wink

Ah, but there's nuttin' like a good hearth now and then...
    I am extremely serious.