• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 17th 2011
    NP: OBJECTS OF FANTASY - THE MUSIC OF PINK FLOYD (Pink Floyd)

Orchestral arrangements with David Palmer & the Royal Philharmonic. Quite cheesy with lots of pop beats and stuff, akin to the ol' LSO Plays Classic Rock albums. Some OK-ish tracks, but overall nothing to write home about.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 17th 2011 edited
    NP: THE MADCAP LAUGHS (Syd Barrett)

And so we're into the solo material, starting off with three very challenging albums by the infamous PF co-founder Syd Barrett from the late 60's and early 70's (as assembled on the CRAZY DIAMOND boxed set). Very "skewed" guitar playing and slurred vocal performances by someone high on something. It's very challenging and I can only get through this in smaller doses at the time.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    NP: OBJECTS OF FANTASY - THE MUSIC OF PINK FLOYD (Pink Floyd)

Orchestral arrangements with David Palmer & the Royal Philharmonic. Quite cheesy with lots of pop beats and stuff, akin to the ol' LSO Plays Classic Rock albums. Some OK-ish tracks, but overall nothing to write home about.

I really enjoy the orchestral one I have ( it's on CDR so I'm not sure of details ) which doesn't have any cheesy pop beats.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    This morning I got a new recording of Rachmaninoff Symphonic Dances, Op. 45 written in 1940 and his last composition. There is some speculation that it was somewhat autobiographical in nature. I certainly enjoy it and this latest French offering is a good one.
    Thomas smile
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote

And so we're into the solo material, starting off with three very challenging albums by the infamous PF co-founder Syd Barrett from the late 60's and early 70's (as assembled on the CRAZY DIAMOND boxed set). Very "skewed" guitar playing and slurred vocal performances by someone high on something. It's very challenging and I can only get through this in smaller doses at the time.

I sometimes wonder what Pink Floyd would have sounded like and become had Barrett not had mental issues, some people lament the departure of Barrett but I'm of the mind that it was the best thing to happen to Pink Floyd and that some things are just meant to be.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote

I sometimes wonder what Pink Floyd would have sounded like and become had Barrett not had mental issues, some people lament the departure of Barrett but I'm of the mind that it was the best thing to happen to Pink Floyd and that some things are just meant to be.

Well, Syd actually wrote some of the instrumental parts too, not just the monotone, deceptively naïve psychedelia songs. His spirit still "runs through" the PF sound, as Nick Mason recently said:

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php … p;comments

Although I agree, his departure was probably for the best, as guys like Waters and Gilmour then got to develop THEIR signatures more clearly, both of which I really like.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : DEFINITIVE HITS - Herb Alpert

love
  1. But no It's A Knockout? wink
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    crazy slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: BARRETT (Syd Barrett)

More of the same...
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Struggling yet Thor?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    He, he...yeah, a bit. I still have one more Barrett album to go after this. But I'll make it!!! I'd give anything for a bit of Herb Alpert just about now! wink
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 18th 2011
    NP: OPEL (Syd Barrett)

65 minutes more and I'm through. smile
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 18th 2011
    NP: FICTITIOUS SPORTS (Nick Mason)

Odd solo album from the PF drummer. Mix of acid jazz and prog rock. Not very good, but interesting.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 18th 2011 edited
    NP: PROFILES (Nick Mason & Rick Fenn)

Slightly better than the previous album, and largely instrumental (except for a couple of songs) in poprock territory, it has 10CC's Rick Fenn, PF's Gilmour and Mike Oldfield's Maggie Riley among the guest performers.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: WET DREAM (Richard Wright)

His first solo album from 1978. Very lowkey, downtempo -- but with some of the classic Wright harmonies that are familiar from Floyd. It's uneven, but as a whole I like it.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: IDENTITY (Zee/Richard Wright)

Zee was a shortlived band spearheaded by Rick Wright which only released this album in the early 80's, an eccentric synthpop album. It's nothing like PF, and Wright allegedly hated it, but it has some interesting tracks, IMO.

Listen to "Strange Rhythm", for example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5MQmfIiZb0
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 19th 2011 edited
    NP: BROKEN CHINA (Richard Wright)

I've always loved this moody solo album from the mid 90's. Some of the tracks are a bit intense, but for the most part it's an engrossing musical journey. very programmatic.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 19th 2011
    NP : FANTASIA ON A THEME BY THOMAS TALLIS - Ralph Vaughan Williams

Nothing but film scores and classical for me over the next few days, with Glasto coming up I'll be over saturated with rock, pop, jazz and whatever by the end of next week.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: DAVID GILMOUR (David Gilmour)

His first solo album from 1978, the same year as Wright released his. It's fine, but a little "under-produced" at times. Quite acoustic, more pop-oriented and less prog. But the bluesy guitar is obviously all over the place.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: ABOUT FACE (David Gilmour)

I've always liked this album. Very groovy, but leans even more into pop/blues territory than the first. Has some 80's production values that shine through, but most of all it just sounds like Gilmour. "Let's Get Metaphysical" is a pure, epic Pink Floyd instrumental.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 19th 2011
    NP: ON AN ISLAND (David Gilmour)

This is a beautiful, laidback, moody album from a couple of years ago. It's one of those albums I could easily give to my father, and KNOW he would appreciate it. Very adult and sophisticated, but full of the dreamy guitar soundscapes that are his trademark.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 20th 2011
    Thor wrote

This is a beautiful, laidback, moody album from a couple of years ago. It's one of those albums I could easily give to my father, and KNOW he would appreciate it. Very adult and sophisticated, but full of the dreamy guitar soundscapes that are his trademark.

...and my favourite of the three Gilmour albums. I do like the other two as well.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 20th 2011
    Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote

...and my favourite of the three Gilmour albums. I do like the other two as well.

I know that you also like this one:

NP: METALLIC SPHERES (David Gilmour & The Orb)

Smooth electronica album with Gilmour's famous guitar wails and Orb's lofty soundscapes. Organized into two long suites.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 21st 2011
    NP: THE PROS AND CONS OF HITCHHIKING (Roger Waters)

Typical concept album, with Water's melancholia and almost film-like segments.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 21st 2011
    NP: RADIO K.A.O.S. (Roger Waters)

Intriguing concept, shaped as a radio program airing just before the apocalypse, with songs interspersed between the DJ talking to a mechanical A.I. voice. The songs are quite catchy too, maybe the most poppy Roger ever was.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJun 22nd 2011
    I took a break from Pretty Maids all in a row and am enjoying Francesca da Rimini/Tchaikovsky.
    Tom smile
    listen to more classical music!
  2. Thor wrote

Intriguing concept, shaped as a radio program airing just before the apocalypse, with songs interspersed between the DJ talking to a mechanical A.I. voice. The songs are quite catchy too, maybe the most poppy Roger ever was.

Sounds in some ways similar to the role of Herrmann's source music in the Orson Welles WAR OF THE WORLDS. (Masquerading as a radio program, the narrative of the apocalypse increasingly overwhelms the playlist of popular waltzes.)
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    franz_conrad wrote
    Thor wrote

Sounds in some ways similar to the role of Herrmann's source music in the Orson Welles WAR OF THE WORLDS. (Masquerading as a radio program, the narrative of the apocalypse increasingly overwhelms the playlist of popular waltzes.)

Hadn't thought about that, but yes - you have a point. Maybe there's even some conscious influence there.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: AMUSED TO DEATH (Roger Waters)

This 1993 effort is actually one of the first Compact Discs I bought, a superb concept album based on Neil Postman's famous adage. Great, spacey sound too which was way ahead of its time. Definitely has a film music vibe on occasion, including orchestral arrangements.
    I am extremely serious.