• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJul 2nd 2011
    What Vaughan did you listen to???
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    It had to be The Lark Ascending, a work of genius and beauty.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : ON THE BRINK : RETURN OF THE INSTRO-HIPSTERS - Various Artists

Funky as fook! More of that great library/Sound Gallery stuff for those of you who know what I'm on about ( Bregt, Martijn ), really great fun love
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 3rd 2011 edited
    NP : SKYLINES - Christopher Gunning

It only contains a small proportion of TV related tracks so I've posted here, this is really relaxing easy listening, no orchestra, just keyboards, synths and solo instruments.

Contained on this CD is a 3 minute version of this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHhTxN9KSog

The 'hook' starts at 14 seconds, very James Bond, very smooth cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJul 3rd 2011
    Scheherazade/Rimsky-Korsakov a thing of beauty.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 4th 2011 edited
    NP: PETITE MESSE SOLENELLE (Gioacchino Rossini)

Really beautiful choral piece/opera with a piano/accordion pulse. Sounds very modern in this arrangement.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeJul 4th 2011 edited
    NP: Ultimate Santana - Santana

I'm sorting out my severely cluttered bedroom - a task which requires suitable background music. Well, I'm not sure whether this is suitable but with the warm weather outside and the super-cold bottle of beer that's somehow followed me upstairs, it seems appropriate enough.

cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 4th 2011
    LSH wrote

I'm sorting out my severely cluttered bedroom - a task which requires suitable background music. Well, I'm not sure whether this is suitable but with the warm weather outside and the super-cold bottle of beer that's somehow followed me upstairs, it seems appropriate enough.

cool

Santana is always great listening. I've had the white dove "greatest hits" album forever and listen to it ever so often.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Thor wrote
    NP: PETITE MESSE SOLENELLE (Gioacchino Rossini)

Really beautiful choral piece/opera with a piano/accordion pulse. Sounds very modern in this arrangement.

An excellent piece which I too can recommend.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    LSH wrote

cool

Summer weather music doesn't get much better than a bit of Mr Carlos cool ( messa still not unnerstand why Michael eavis hasn't got him to play Glastonbury in all the years it's been going? slant )
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Seriously, has he never played at Glasto? shocked

That'd be one hell of a show.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Nope! He's never been at Glasto and that includes the ones I didn't attend. There's still a handful of legends who've never played.....yet.
  1. NP: Untold Things (Jocelyn Pook)

Milennial fever runs high in this set of vocal/instrumental pieces from Pook. 'Upon this Rock' and 'Yellow Fever Psalm' (with an eerie pallindromic doubling her voice played forwards and backwards) are standouts.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJul 5th 2011
    http://sdtom.wordpress.com/2011/07/05/s … -70gliere/

Gliere is one to explore
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: Untold Things (Jocelyn Pook)

Milennial fever runs high in this set of vocal/instrumental pieces from Pook. 'Upon this Rock' and 'Yellow Fever Psalm' (with an eerie pallindromic doubling her voice played forwards and backwards) are standouts.

POOK!
    shocked

I need it!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: Untold Things (Jocelyn Pook)

POOK!
    shocked

I need it!

It's been around for long enough.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Well, nobody TOLD me. angry
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 5th 2011 edited
    Wrong thread, sorry.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. NP: Sinfonietta For Strings - Bernard Herrmann

Even though I am a big fan of Herrmann's work this is the first time I have heard this concert piece all the way through. This probably says more about my feelings on film composers' non-film music than anything else. I just don't seem to connect with these pieces composed for the concert hall.

In saying that, this could be an 18-minute collection of alternate cues for Psycho - even though the sinfonietta was composed in 1935. The 3-note "madhouse" motif Herrmann would go on to use in the 1960 film features prominently. But what was particularly surprising to hear was a similarity in the techniques used by Herrmann in the piece's "Scherzo" and some of the more dissonant passages Christopher Gordon uses in his score to the animated short, Ward 13.

I may just have to find Herrmann's Symphony...
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 6th 2011 edited
    NP : THE David Whitaker SONGBOOK

A real mish-mash compilation of Whitaker's work from his Pop beginings like The Last Time under the name THE ANDREW OLDHAM ORCHESTRA, a now infamous piece due to it's sampling by pop band THE VERVE to later fair like his contributions to French group AIR, it also contains 4 tracks from his beautiful score to Run Wild, Run Free, a boy and his horse movie starring Mark Lester and John Mills.

My favourite track is Pavane, the liner notes give no indication of where this comes from but it's a stunningly beautiful piece that I can only think was written as a homage to French composer Gabriel Faure, it really is that good.

David Whitaker's superb talents are seriously lacking in the world of soundtrack CD releases with Doctor Jeckyll and Sister Hyde being nearly released several times, the above mentioned Run Wild, Run Free which was only ever released on LP and a tiny smattering of his work for HAMMER on various compilation CD's, The Sword and The Sorceror and Harry, He is Here are, I think, the only two soundtrack releases of Whitaker's work released.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJul 7th 2011
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: Sinfonietta For Strings - Bernard Herrmann

Even though I am a big fan of Herrmann's work this is the first time I have heard this concert piece all the way through. This probably says more about my feelings on film composers' non-film music than anything else. I just don't seem to connect with these pieces composed for the concert hall.

In saying that, this could be an 18-minute collection of alternate cues for Psycho - even though the sinfonietta was composed in 1935. The 3-note "madhouse" motif Herrmann would go on to use in the 1960 film features prominently. But what was particularly surprising to hear was a similarity in the techniques used by Herrmann in the piece's "Scherzo" and some of the more dissonant passages Christopher Gordon uses in his score to the animated short, Ward 13.

I may just have to find Herrmann's Symphony...

http://sdtom.wordpress.com/2011/02/02/s … 1herrmann/
    my opinion
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 7th 2011
    After talking about it on the NP thread I just had to play it...

NP : THE CANYON - Philip Glass

Staggering!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 7th 2011 edited
    Timmer wrote
    After talking about it on the NP thread I just had to play it...

NP : THE CANYON - Philip Glass

Staggering!

And now I just had to go back to the begining of the CD for this truly awesome work...

NP : ITAIPU - Philip Glass

This is Robert Shaw ( No, not Quint wink ) and the Atlantic Symphony & Chorus, it's the best version IMO but the recording is very lacking compared to Salonen's version.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 8th 2011 edited
    NP: CALFORNIA GOLD (The Beach Boys)

Perfect 2CD set for a sunny day and cleaning the apartment.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJul 8th 2011
    Thor wrote

They promoted California like few did
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    sdtom wrote
    Thor wrote

They promoted California like few did

True, but my association is more general -- beaches, surfing, scantily-clad girls, relaxed livin'. smile
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote

Brilliant! I just love The Beach Boys.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I can remember watching the snow fall and listening to Surfin USA
    Tom smile
  3. sdtom wrote
    I can remember watching the snow fall and listening to Surfin USA
    Tom smile

Talking about snow in a situation where you would expect unbroken sunshine, I am reminded of an old BBC Scotland comedy show "Rab C Nesbitt".

This dour family from Glasgow have - with their friends the couple Jamesie & Ella Cotter - are on holiday in Spain, the Costa del Sol. Jamesie has been laid up with bad sunburn (a common complaint for Scots on holiday in sunny locations), but the Nesbitt family (who are in an apartment below the Cotters') are relaxing in their apartment when a miracle happens...

http://youtu.be/rNkKtbwLPJo (watch video from 8:08)

biggrin
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 9th 2011
    Good ol' Rab! biggrin punk