• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeFeb 7th 2010 edited
    NP: Goodbye Yellow Brick Road - Elton John

Great album! I'm actually a big fan of Elton's and recently found on YouTube a performance at the Royal Opera House (which I'm certain we have the DVD of back home) from back in 2002. It's nice to see Elton's former orchestral arranger and keyboardist James Newton Howard in command of the Royal Academy Orchestra. For the show, JNH based most of the performances (where applicable) around Elton's most prolific orchestrator Paul Buckmaster's original arrangements but he provided some arrangements, himself, for songs that were not originally produced with an orchestral backing. For instance, he created quite a terrific orchestral intro for Saturday Night's Alright For Fighting: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xCuLSlY2Cg (you can see JNH conducting).

smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 7th 2010
    LSH wrote
    NP: Goodbye Yellow Brick Road - Elton John

Great album! I'm actually a big fan of Elton's and recently found on YouTube a performance at the Royal Opera House (which I'm certain we have the DVD of back home) from back in 2002. It's nice to see Elton's former orchestral arranger and keyboardist James Newton Howard in command of the Royal Academy Orchestra. For the show, JNH based most of the performances (where applicable) around Elton's most prolific orchestrator Paul Buckmaster's original arrangements but he provided some arrangements, himself, for songs that were not originally produced with an orchestral backing. For instance, he created quite a terrific orchestral intro for Saturday Night's Alright For Fighting: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xCuLSlY2Cg (you can see JNH conducting).

smile

One of the alltime classic pop/rock albums! I love it, from the progstyle instrumental bits to the melancholic ballads to the fun rock'n'roll tunes at the end.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeFeb 9th 2010 edited
    New MASSIVE ATTACK album, Heligoland.

Exceptional.

But then again it was to be expected; it's always been like that with MASSIVE ATTACK.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeFeb 9th 2010
    These names really get to me
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote

Exceptional.

But then again it was to be expected; it's always been like that with MASSIVE ATTACK.

I have still yet to hear it?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Exceptional.

I have still yet to hear it?

ola!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  1. Mahler Symphony 1

Still ringing in my ears from last night's breathtaking performance by the SSO under Ashkenazy. Also in the program were Mahler's Blumine, 'Songs of the Wayfarer' and Richard Strauss's Don Juan. All performed beautifully.

Next week: Mahler 8. Symphony of a Thousand. There's an opportunity you don't get more than once or twice in life.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeFeb 10th 2010
    franz_conrad wrote
    Next week: Mahler 8. Symphony of a Thousand. There's an opportunity you don't get more than once or twice in life.

I attended Mahler´s Fourth Symphony in Barcelona some years ago. But Mahler´s 8? shocked shocked Hope you enjoy every single second.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeFeb 11th 2010
    franz_conrad wrote
    Mahler Symphony 1

Still ringing in my ears from last night's breathtaking performance by the SSO under Ashkenazy. Also in the program were Mahler's Blumine, 'Songs of the Wayfarer' and Richard Strauss's Don Juan. All performed beautifully.

The Blumine movement was performed separately and not included in the first?
  2. It was performed separately, which I think was a good move. It would have disappeared in the first.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 12th 2010
    U2, Muse and Stevie Wonder have been confirmed for this years Glastonbury.

Much as I would like to see all three of these headliners I just know that won't happen but by the gods I'll be doing my very best to get to see Stevie Wonder.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeFeb 12th 2010
    franz_conrad wrote
    It was performed separately, which I think was a good move. It would have disappeared in the first.

I tend to agree with you as I have recordings both ways.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeFeb 13th 2010
    NP: TENDER LAND... Aaron Copland A nice but lesser work.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I MUST HAVE THIS!!!!

RALPH VAUGHAN WILLIAMS
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    NP: FINNISH FANTASY/FINNISH SKETCHES...Alexander Glazunov

These are wonderful folk melodies, nicely orchestrated, and very Russian sounding. They are performed by the Moscow Symphony who have done quite a few of the Morgan/Stromberg recordings.

Golden Age Thomas
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 16th 2010
    NP : THE LARK ASCENDING - Ralph Vaughan Williams

•  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    • CommentTimeFeb 18th 2010
    COMPUTER WORLD - KRAFTWERK

Awesome! masterpiece. I really adore the works of Kraftwerk. I firmly believe they certainly given a new dimensional to the world of music. I like all the tracks, i don't like to pick up just one. I just enjoy each and every track from this album. Great music.
    Racism, Prejudices and discrimination exists everywhere.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Is it in English.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Sunil wrote

Awesome! masterpiece. I really adore the works of Kraftwerk. I firmly believe they certainly given a new dimensional to the world of music. I like all the tracks, i don't like to pick up just one. I just enjoy each and every track from this album. Great music.

Yup. Kraftwerk rules!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    Timmer wrote
    Is it in English.

Yes it is

"I am a operator with my pocket calculator"

"I am adding! I am Subtracting"

What a great piece of music? do you have this album, Timmer?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    Thor wrote
    Sunil wrote

Yup. Kraftwerk rules!

Indeed! beer
  3. Mahler 8 was tonight... powerful. Ashkenazy is one hell of a conductor. Sydney Symphony is lucky to have him.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Sunil wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Is it in English.

Yes it is

"I am a operator with my pocket calculator"

"I am adding! I am Subtracting"

What a great piece of music? do you have this album, Timmer?

The reason I asked is because I used to have the German release of this album which ( duh ) was sung in German.

I'm afraid I don't have it anymore.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I loved hearing their emotionless Schwarzenegger accents over that harsh, cold electronic music.
    Very indicative to me of the early eighties' doom and gloom attitude.
    (How is it that people these days are looking back on that period with rose-coloured glasses? It was a time of immense pessimism on every single level!)
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 19th 2010
    I've had enough of film music...

NP : SENTINELA - Milton Nascimento

cool
    • CommentAuthorTintin
    • CommentTimeFeb 19th 2010 edited
    Cool indeed. Don't know that disc. Is it a recent one?

I just bought the new Peter Gabriel Scratch my back which is cover songs and is completely orchestral with choir.
    Really looking forward to listen to it. I got tickets to see his show in April. First, I couldn't go because I was working that night and then they added a second show. So, I'll be going with my sister ( I saw my first Gabriel show with her back in 1978!) and some friends.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Tintin wrote
    Cool indeed. Don't know that disc. Is it a recent one?

I just bought the new Peter Gabriel Scratch my back which is cover songs and is completely orchestral with choir.
    Really looking forward to listen to it. I got tickets to see his show in April. First, I couldn't go because I was working that night and then they added a second show. So, I'll be going with my sister ( I saw my first Gabriel show with her back in 1978!) and some friends.

Sounds brilliant Martin cool Unbelievably, I've seen Peter Gabriel numerous times but never in concert.

As for Nascimento,the album is from 1980 and this is the only album I have by him, it's great too, any recommendations?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote
    I've had enough of film music...

NP : SENTINELA - Milton Nascimento

cool

Here's the title track from the album SENTINELA which is actually track 8, I haven't a clue what the lyrics are but it's a gosmackingly beautiful melody and the vocals are so soulful as to melt your spine.

D, you should check this too. wave
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeFeb 21st 2010 edited
    NP: Simple Things - Zero 7

I met my new best friend tonight. I went to a house party and got talking to a girl (quite hot) who was a massive Zero 7 fan and who had been to see them a couple of times. Anyway, got her number. Sorted.

cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeFeb 21st 2010
    LSH wrote
    NP: Simple Things - Zero 7

I met my new best friend tonight. I went to a house party and got talking to a girl (quite hot) who was a massive Zero 7 fan and who had been to see them a couple of times. Anyway, got her number. Sorted.

cool

Bam.