• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. "Night is what remains" (Christopher Gordon)

I love this piece for string orchestra, with cello and violin soli. I hope to use it in a film some day.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJun 4th 2010
    Martijn wrote
    The Screen Behind The Mirror - Enigma (1999)

French ambient artist Enigma updates his very recognisable sound from his landmark MCMXC a.D. album for a new decade, but the rather lame insistence on using Orff's Carmina Burana as a sample hook is less than inspired (not to say tacky).

On the plus side, it's sans Gregorian chants., and the updated electronics [i]do[/i[] include a way better drum kit patch than whatever he was using before. Other than that it's really more of the same loungey, ambient inoffensive material we've come to know from him.

The best thing about it is that its slightly estranging, melancholy sound perfectly fits my slightly estranged, melancholy mood. smile

Absolutely love that album, same as all enigma albums up until this. Afterwards, Michel Cretu thought he'd make the next tiesto with uninspired and cheap trance / dance stuff that went completely under the radar and very rightfully so. I have all of their albums on cd but i recently started switching to lp vinyls, i just love the sound he created from his first album up to this one here. I just managed to find the cross of changes (hands down best work he ever wrote imo) to date on vinyl though, looking out to find the rest.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 4th 2010 edited
    NP: CRISIS? WHAT CRISIS? (Supertramp)

I hadn't played this in a long time, you know, the one with the "Martijn cover". Have lots of summer associations to this, for some reason, so I thought it fitted great with the current weather. I'm also gearing up for the Roger Hodgson concert here in Oslo next week, which will be the first time I see any of the Supertramp members live!
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTintin
    Great to hear that Thor and his partner on stage is much better than on the DVD released a few years ago. School, Dreamer, Fool's Overture , so many classics played bytwo musicians only but it really doesn't matter. Stripping the song to its simplest form and you see that it is a marvel. Have a good time!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote

I hadn't played this in a long time, you know, the one with the "Martijn cover". Have lots of summer associations to this, for some reason, so I thought it fitted great with the current weather. I'm also gearing up for the Roger Hodgson concert here in Oslo next week, which will be the first time I see any of the Supertramp members live!

"Martijn cover"?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Tintin wrote
    Great to hear that Thor and his partner on stage is much better than on the DVD released a few years ago. School, Dreamer, Fool's Overture , so many classics played but two musicians only but it really doesn't matter. Stripping the song to its simplest form and you see that it is a marvel. Have a good time!

Yeah, I have that DVD, which I believe was shot in your hometown Montreal. Great atmosphere, even though it was just Hodgson on vocals/keyboard/guitar and Aaron-whatshisface on sax and backup vocals. However, I believe he's now touring with a more full band??

Too bad he didn't get to reunite with his old Supertramp colleagues (with Rick Davies, John Helliwell and Bob Siebenberg from the classic lineup), who are currently starting THEIR OWN tour across Europe (but sadly not Norway). Lots of conflict there, Roger Waters/David Gilmour-style.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote

"Martijn cover"?

Yeah, he posted a picture of himself awhile back that looked very much like the album cover.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Thor wrote

you know, the one with the "Martijn cover"

applause lol bounce beer wine champagne cocktail punk

Thor wrote
    Timmer wrote
    "Martijn cover"?

Yeah, he posted a picture of himself awhile back that looked very much like the album cover.

It was last year's Christmas card.
    I don't think I posted it though. Didn't I just mail it?

EDIT: wrong. I did post it here.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Ah yes, I remember biggrin

I hope you got paid royalties for it? wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTintin
    Thor wrote
    Tintin wrote
    Great to hear that Thor and his partner on stage is much better than on the DVD released a few years ago. School, Dreamer, Fool's Overture , so many classics played but two musicians only but it really doesn't matter. Stripping the song to its simplest form and you see that it is a marvel. Have a good time!

Yeah, I have that DVD, which I believe was shot in your hometown Montreal. Great atmosphere, even though it was just Hodgson on vocals/keyboard/guitar and Aaron-whatshisface on sax and backup vocals. However, I believe he's now touring with a more full band??

Too bad he didn't get to reunite with his old Supertramp colleagues (with Rick Davies, John Helliwell and Bob Siebenberg from the classic lineup), who are currently starting THEIR OWN tour across Europe (but sadly not Norway). Lots of conflict there, Roger Waters/David Gilmour-style.

Too bad for them, they compliment each other's style well. I guess royalties are a major part of their dispute.

With a full band? That sounds even better!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Having discussed Joaquin Rodrigo's Concerto De Aranjuez a little while back, I was inspired to look for some other performances. I was electrified to learn that in 1991 flamenco living legend Paco de Lucia had recorded the concerto! I know Paco's work well -he has been doing flamenco and cross-over work for nigh to forty years now- , and he is truly stunning! I heartily recommend the film Carmen where he is instrumental in creating a flamenco version of Bizet's famous opera.

Anyway, I found the conecrto and just had a chance to listen to it.

FUCK
    ME

It's like hearing it for the first time!
    While technically often a little different from many other performances I've heard (I have only learned now that Paco cannot read music, and so focused far more on the flamenco/rhythmic aspects of the concerto rather than technical perfection-), this is the very best performance -and the most Spanish one, I might add- I have heard.

The exuberance that lends the flamenco passion its emotionally draining experience absolutely puts this performance on fire. Both allegros never sounded so inviting, so warm. And the famous, melancholy Adagio is beyond heart-rending.

Now I'm quite partial to flamenco and Spanish folk music. Its unrestrained emotion never fails to set off a spark in me. There's just something about those musicians giving their all, and pouring their very soul into their work. It's that aspect that makes this rendition of the concierto stand out proud and lonely above all others.
    If technical, classical perfection is your preference, this may not be your favourite.
    But to anyone who listens to music with their heart and soul over their ears and minds, this is the one to go.

Composer Rodrigo -having attended the concert, at age 90 (!)- himself said that "no one had ever played his composition in such a brilliant manner."
    I cannot but agree with the maestro, wholeheartedly.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    He's an incredible guitarist, I'm more familiar with his work with Al DiMeola and John McLaughlin.

I'd really like to hear that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Tintin wrote
    Thor wrote
    Tintin wrote

Too bad for them, they compliment each other's style well. I guess royalties are a major part of their dispute.

With a full band? That sounds even better!

The dispute is basically that when Hodgson left Supertramp in the early 80's, he had a gentleman's agreement with Davis that Supertramp wouldn't play the songs HE penned, but they did nonetheless (since Hodgson's songs were the most popular)...plus all other kinds of legal disputes. Oh well, at least they're both active in their separate arenas.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 5th 2010
    NP : PEER GYNT - Edvard Grieg

I'm off to the garden, newspaper, cold drink and great music cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE SENSUAL WORLD - Kate Bush

Perfect! cool
  2. Anyone come across the Dutch "gothic rock" band Within Temptation?

I came across some of their tracks and I have to admit I rather like them (I feel slightly guilty somehow.) A bit of a mix between in-your-face trailer music and the vocals from All About Eve (the band not the film.)
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    You might like NIGHTWISH too. Or THERION.

I prefer THE GATHERING, myself. Or film music wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 6th 2010
    Christodoulides wrote

I prefer your taste in film music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJun 6th 2010 edited
    Heheh i don't like those bands, apart the gathering. Just came in my mind from his description. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJun 6th 2010
    Timmer wrote

Good choice
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 7th 2010
    sdtom wrote
    Timmer wrote

Good choice

Indeed Tom, on a hot, sunny day, in the garden, Grieg's music playing.....bliss!
  3. Christodoulides wrote

I've listened to clips from all three of these and they were a bit too cheesy. Made me consider whether Within Temptation are the same but I just hadn't noticed!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

I've listened to clips from all three of these and they were a bit too cheesy. Made me consider whether Within Temptation are the same but I just hadn't noticed!

Yeah, I gave these a try too, really funny stuff biggrin cheesy
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Anyone come across the Dutch "gothic rock" band Within Temptation?

I came across some of their tracks and I have to admit I rather like them (I feel slightly guilty somehow.) A bit of a mix between in-your-face trailer music and the vocals from All About Eve (the band not the film.)

Ugh.
    UGH!
    vomit

Screeching semi-operatics mixed in with death metal burling.
    The best thing Within Temptation managed is to inspire a whole host of delectable teenagers to dress up as pluckable Gothettes. lick

Mind you, lead singer Sharon den Adel is nothing to sneeze at either! love
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

It's not any cheesier than within temptation. They all make me the feel the same anyway wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Christodoulides wrote
    Timmer wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

It's not any cheesier than within temptation. They all make me the feel the same anyway wink

Ah and there's also LACUNA COIL which used to have (don't know if they still do) a very sexy singer.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 7th 2010 edited
    Martijn wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Anyone come across the Dutch "gothic rock" band Within Temptation?

Ugh.
    UGH!
    vomit

Screeching semi-operatics mixed in with death metal burling.
    The best thing Within Temptation managed is to inspire a whole host of delectable teenagers to dress up as pluckable Gothettes. lick

Mind you, lead singer Sharon den Adel is nothing to sneeze at either! love

thumbs <--for the rock chick

Within Temptation were funny lol
  4. revisiting an old friend: Mr. Mister with Welcome to the Real World

fun nostalgic 80's pop cool
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  5. Christodoulides wrote

Obviously you don't have as discerning an aural palate(?!) as I am fortunate to have. I can listen to Within Temptation, but not the others!

I know! I can't explain it either.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJun 9th 2010
    http://sdtom.wordpress.com/2010/06/09/p … egershwin/

an interesting orchestration with clarinet and strings.
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!