• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJul 22nd 2009
    Continued from here.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Miya wrote
    Not so many yet (it's difficult to read and remember classical composer names wink ), but just while ago Joaquin Rodrigo's piece caught my ear... yes I love latin sound.

shocked I wouldn't call Rodrigo "latin" by any stretch of the imagination!
    He's alternately deeply Neo-Romantic (as in his incomparable Concerto D'Aranjuez), or quite avantgarde.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    cheers slant

My intention was to create the new post on the 3000th reply.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Martijn wrote
    Miya wrote
    Not so many yet (it's difficult to read and remember classical composer names wink ), but just while ago Joaquin Rodrigo's piece caught my ear... yes I love latin sound.

He's alternately deeply Neo-Romantic (as in his incomparable Concerto D'Aranjuez), or quite avantgarde.

And he's a Spaniard, isn't he?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Yes, he was born in Segunto, Valencia and died only recently ( 1999 ) at the grand old age of 97.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : 'Addictions' Volume 1 - Robert Palmer

This could have just been called 'Best of'. Some great tracks here including Addicted To Love, Simply Irresistable, Looking For Clues and one of my favourites, Sweet Lies written for the film of the same name.

Yet another very fine artist who died too young.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    cheers slant
    My intention was to create the new post on the 3000th reply.

sad
    Sorry.
    shame
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 22nd 2009 edited
    That's okay Martijn, I was being a bit petty, it's just that the thread took over a year to almost fill up ( 1 year and 8 months to be more precise ) I thought 3000 posts would be nice.

Anyway, I wuvs yu weally kiss
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : TRIBES, VIBES & SCRIBES - Incognito

Acid jazz / soul / funk....lovely album full of feel good summery melodies, perfect for this sunny summers evening cool

Here's a TASTER from the album.

P.s. A shit hot live band too! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    OK, let's try and get this one filled up a bit quicker so you can have your threethousand cut-off point! punk
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 23rd 2009
    Too late Jedi, the moment has passed.
  2. NP: Funk - Meco

Doing a bit of random playing and this popped up. Twelve and a half minutes of, well, funk! punk
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    The overture to Oresteia, the opera written by Taneyev
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    We'll just put Pawel to work on it and it will fill up in no time. cheesy
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    Too late Jedi, the moment has passed.

Geeee. slant

Anyway, NP: Hand On The Torch - Us3

I'm not generally into rap, but this jazz-rap fusion really knocked my socks off. The main reason is for each and every song on the album they've sampled and remixed an old Blue Note Records (a truly legendary jazz label) hit, so you get a fantastic update of the sound of Art Blakey, Thelonious Monk and Herbie Hancock and the like.

With some very nice and deep beats, and a generally very good flow in the rap, this is one of the most uplifting albums I've heard in a while!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    ^
    Superb album cool beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    Martijn wrote
    Miya wrote

I googled Concerto D'Aranjuez and noticed I knew that piece (but didn't know how to spell wink ). It's a famous piece here too. And I thought it (not entirely but some melodies) still feels like "latin", though my definition of "latin music" is very vague...
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Miya wrote
    my definition of "latin music" is very vague...

I tend to agree. biggrin

wink

I think I may understand what you mean though: you probably put pure-sang Spanish music under "latin" as well.
    Would you -for example- consider Horner's Zorro soundtracks latin?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn, did you recognise Sonny Rollins theme to ALFIE in the sample of It's Like That?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    NP: The Rolling Stones Songbook - Andrew Oldham Orchestra

Very enjoyable if slightly odd beast: this 1966 album mostly employs a Wall Of Sound instrumental approach to some of the Rolling Stones' greatest hits. It's not loungey, nor muzak, nor proper rock. It's sort of all of that togetehr and then some more.

In fact, some of the arrangements are more than good enough to stand on their own (with clear standout The Last Time: this was the version that was sampled by The Verve for their monster hit Bittersweet Symphony).
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeJul 23rd 2009 edited
    I don't have Zorro, but I've heard several tracks. It features flamenco-ish stuff, if I remember correctly... isn't it included in "latin"?

... and then I just googled "latin music" in Japanese, and wikipedia says it's mostly equivalent to "Latin American music"... shocked dizzy I thought it's basically music from a certain part of Europe, AND South/Central American music influenced by it.
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Booooo! I wanted to hear the Andrew Oldham version. slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Miya wrote
    I don't have Zorro, but I've heard several tracks. It features flamenco-ish stuff, if I remember correctly... isn't it included in "latin"?

... and then I just googled "latin music" in Japanese, and wikipedia says it's mostly equivalent to "Latin American music"... shocked dizzy I thought it's basically music from a certain part of Europe, AND South/Central American music influenced by it.

biggrin

The defense rests.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    Booooo! I wanted to hear the Andrew Oldham version. slant

Then I would have hyperlinked "The Last Time", wouldn't I?
    Lazy sod.!

wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thank you Son of Jor-El. beer
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn, have you ever heard The Beatles album done by George Martin and His Orchestra?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Of COURSE!
    Heard them both

I wish I could get a hold of his '66 "Salutes The Beatles" again though for comparison. Had it on tape, but lost it years ago. I think the Beatles Tribute one "In My Life" from '98 is fun as well, but not as good.

At this point in time (and from what I remember) I find Oldham's Rolling Stones Songbook superior to Martin's Salutes The Beatles, incidentally.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    And I agree with you. beer

Speaking of Martin, here's one of my favourite ORIGINAL compositions written by him.

I like Cozy Powell's more up-beat pop version too ( see bar right )
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    here's one of my favourite ORIGINAL compositions written by him.

Crikey. slant
    The video you have requested is not available.

If you have recently uploaded this video, you may need to wait a few minutes for the video to process.

Either already deleted (apparently the publishing companies AND the different copyright companies have hundreds of staff 24/7 scouring YouTube, greatly to the dismay of many an artist), or a wrong link, or a country-specific block.

What's the title?
    I may be able to find it through another search.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    shocked

No problem when I press the link. It's George Martin - 'Theme One'.