• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    • CommentTimeJul 23rd 2009
    John Williams

He is the one who introduced me to the world of film scores. My first score album ever bought was Jurassic Park. Since 1993 to till now, i am making a wonderful journey in the world of film music that is just because of Maestro. His music always inspired me and i believe his music will inspire me through out of my life. His most of the scores gave me pleasure, happiness and made me to think "Life is beautiful". After then, i started listening to other composers. Even then, i am still find greatness in John Williams scores than others. LONG LIVE JOHN WILLIAMS!

I am eager to know that in your life, which composer do you think made you to believe that life is beautiful. Name one composer of yours.
    Racism, Prejudices and discrimination exists everywhere.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeJul 23rd 2009 edited
    Tie between Hans Zimmer and John Williams.

Hans introduced me into the world of film music with his masterpiece score to The Lion King (my beloved score and most wanted holy grail), and impressed me with many more great scores. John Williams has totally bowled me over with his so many emotionally powerful scores, I just can't choose just one. I adore them both!
  1. James Horner

His phenomenal score for Aliens is what introduced me gently into the world of film music... Man when I saw that film, and again and again, I would never have guessed you could somehow get this awesome music outside of the film, away from the images. And it was just one guy who wrote that.* What a truly brilliant discovery that was. The rest is history. He gave my life more meaning, if it weren't for the music I learned to love, especially from the holy threesome, Horner - Williams - Goldsmith it would have been a lot more boring.

* Well later on I learned that it was not that one guy that wrote Aliens, but in fact a whole lot more people. shame biggrin
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    DreamTheater wrote
    James Horner

* Well later on I learned that it was not that one guy that wrote Aliens, but in fact a whole lot more people. shame biggrin

What? are you sure about this? Even i, too, admire Aliens.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Tchaikovsky and Beethoven were the first two composers who built my foundation for appreciation of music.
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I'm not really sure what that means, to make "my life beautiful". I don't think any composer has really been instrumental in that. Perhaps you mean which composers became our first favourite? Or simply which composer "hooked you" on to film music in the first place? Or perhaps you just mean what our favourite composers are?

My top 3 film composer favourites continue to be John Williams, Danny Elfman and Elliot Goldenthal.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    For me, Yvan Cassar, Alexandre Desplat and Philippe Rombi changed the way i listen to music.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Evanthia Reboutsika

biggrin
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Wait 'till Martijn sees this. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    What?
    I can perfectly understand how a bottle or three of Reboutsika changes one's outlook on life.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  2. Hans Zimmer

Lion King was also my very first soundtrack, but the one that changed my life was probably The Thin Red Line. BOTH music and score.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    Thor wrote
    I'm not really sure what that means, to make "my life beautiful". I don't think any composer has really been instrumental in that. Perhaps you mean which composers became our first favourite? Or simply which composer "hooked you" on to film music in the first place? Or perhaps you just mean what our favourite composers are?

My top 3 film composer favourites continue to be John Williams, Danny Elfman and Elliot Goldenthal.

No, no i am not asking your favorite composers. I am asking which composer's works inspires you lot in day to day life. For e.g, whenever i go for work or go out with my friends or just go for a walk, i always have feeling some music would be playing in my mind, which gives me strength and motivation, for e.g i always think of "Fawkes the phoenix" track from The Chamber of Secrets, which gives pleasure, motivation etc. Music is kind of a medicine, which may cure your mental depressions or relaxation to your mind and body. I look the film score in that way. So, whenever i listen to John Williams, i just enthralled and mesmerised by his wonderful works. Now, are you able to understand my question? smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    It's a good question, actually, but one not easily answered.
    I think for me it's both controlled and controlling: I am seldomly caught unawares, but am very much aware of what I want to listen to in any given circumstance. So I choose the music to inspire me or focus me emotionally.

That said, there are a couple of tracks that have ingrained themselves into my very being to the point that they are inextricably linked to a certain state of mind: e.g. when I'm in a situation that somehow combines speed with micro-second decisions -traffic is a good example- Williams' Ben's Death And TIE-Fighter Attack will ALWAYS through my mind. ALWAYS.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 23rd 2009 edited
    Sunil wrote
    Thor wrote

No, no i am not asking your favorite composers. I am asking which composer's works inspires you lot in day to day life.

To me, these are really one and the same. These composers also "inspire" me in my everyday life; that is in fact why they are my favourites in the first place. As far as Williams is concerned, I am particularly in love with his "religious" sound, as I like to call it - stuff like "Meeting with Mao" from NIXON or "Restoration" from JANE EYRE or "Face of Pan" from HOOK or "Angela's Prayer" from ANGELA'S ASHES and so on and so forth.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Thor...did..did you just repeat yourself?
    Without links to decade-old threads on ancient octagenarian-infested fringe film music web sites?

biggrin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    John Barry
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Martijn wrote
    Thor...did..did you just repeat yourself?
    Without links to decade-old threads on ancient octagenarian-infested fringe film music web sites?

biggrin

I know. Hard to believe, eh?
    I am extremely serious.
  3. Sunil wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    James Horner

What? are you sure about this? Even i, too, admire Aliens.

Don't tell me you don't know about the infamous ripping off of classical composers. I was more than a little shocked to learn this sad truth. But it still remains one of my favorite Horners. I'll never degrade that one.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Jaws was the the score that got me hook, line and sinker back in the 70s. Then Star Wars and Close Encounters. Then Star Trek: The Motion Picture, Alien etc.
  4. Any composer whose work touches me emotionally, has made my life better. Such composers:

Jerry Goldsmith
    John Williams on occassion
    Christophe Beck (his "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" work)
    Danny Elfman on occassion
    James Horner
    Elmer Bernstein
    Basil Poledouris
    Georges Delerue
    Mark Snow
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  5. Hans Zimmer introduced me to the beauty that is Film Music

But Jerry Goldsmith and John Williams gave it depth smile
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  6. I think I could say something similar, but I discovered Jerry very late.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  7. Bregt wrote
    Evanthia Reboutsika

biggrin

Can anyone provide some information on this release?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Greatgreeks/dp/ … p;sr=1-516
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthormarkrayen
    • CommentTimeJul 24th 2009
    My greatest musical epiphany came during one of my childhood summers visiting relatives on an island off the west coast of Norway. In between fishing trips and ball games with my cousins I would explore my uncle's record collection and look for something exciting to spin in my brand new discman. I experimented with everything from hip-hop to country and heaven knows what else, till I came across the Forest Gump soundtrack and that special track by Alan Silvestri that concludes the album. Now that was a magic moment!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 24th 2009
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Bregt wrote
    Evanthia Reboutsika

biggrin

Can anyone provide some information on this release?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Greatgreeks/dp/ … p;sr=1-516

I have it mate, if you're interested, drop me a line.

It's nothing interesting, just long pieces accompanying a recent major documentary made on the top100 Greeks of all time scored by original music by Evanthia Reboutsika; only problem is that like every other release by the lady after the brilliant TOUCH OF SPICE, the interest and quality level has gone downhill; still, if you want to preview it, message me around September when i get back home to Greece; don't forget smile