• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    • CommentTimeJul 24th 2009
    Yeap the did Million Dollar Hotel. The credits went to Brian Eno, John Hassen and Daniel Lannois but U2 wrote the music.
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Nice. Didn't know that......is it any good though? 'Cause i remember the last time i heard a rock musician doing film music (that radiohead dude, forgot his name....on purpose) was very dramatic to me.

Now, NICK CAVE on the other hand........pure brilliance! punk
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJul 24th 2009 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    Ah; that explains it.

Japanese stylized manga-punk.
    I love Japanese! applause
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJul 24th 2009 edited
    Hey, jazz legend Duke Ellington did Anatomy Of A Murder in 1959.
    A very fine work, indeed!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    Christodoulides wrote
    Nice. Didn't know that......is it any good though? 'Cause i remember the last time i heard a rock musician doing film music (that radiohead dude, forgot his name....on purpose) was very dramatic to me.

Yes it was pretty good!
    As for Cave... he is perfect!
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Martijn wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Ah; that explains it.

Japanese stylized manga-punk.
    I love Japanese! applause

Yeah; me too
    . uhm
    • CommentAuthorRanietz
    I was going to say that Brian May (from Queen) did the music for the Mad Max movies but I just realized that was another Brian May. shame
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote

I like Cave's work but mostly his own stuff, though his scoring is very listenable too.

He was one of the acts ( Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds ) I was disappointed not to be able to see at Glastonbury.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Ranietz wrote
    I was going to say that Brian May (from Queen) did the music for the Mad Max movies but I just realized that was another Brian May. shame

It reminds us that QUEEN had a hand in the scores of Flash Gordon and Highlander cool punk
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Did they do film music?

Also, was Sakamoto a rock musician?

Sakamoto was a member of Japanese electropop band Yellow Magic Orchestra.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

I like Cave's work but mostly his own stuff, though his scoring is very listenable too.

He was one of the acts ( Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds ) I was disappointed not to be able to see at Glastonbury.

Indeed, my good friend; i happen to have a couple of his albums with the bad seeds and they're indeed a fine group although his film music isn't too far away stylistically either.

Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Did they do film music?

Also, was Sakamoto a rock musician?

Sakamoto was a member of Japanese electropop band Yellow Magic Orchestra.

Thanks Tim; from the premise, i am sure i don't want to hear a note off that! But isn't this thread about "rock musicians"? wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Yes. Bit limiting though eh!? wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 27th 2009 edited
    Some more names off the top of my head (and sorry if they have been mentioned already):

Ry Cooder
    Damon Albarn
    Stewart Copeland
    Joe Jackson
    Richard Gibbs
    Clint Mansell
    Cliff Martinez

Does Randy Newman count? How about people like Graeme Revell or Anne Dudley who, although more famous for their film work, have strong roots in industrial or alternative rock?

Here in Norway, it's actually more common for rock/pop artists to venture into film composing now and then than it is to see professional, full-time film composers at work. But I doubt many of you have heard of them, except maybe Magne Furuholmen from a-ha.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    Add David Arnold to the list
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    omaha wrote

I know he has worked with rock stars and stuff, but I don't think he qualifies as a "rock musician". Or do you know something I don't? I don't think it's enough to dabble in a garage band for a few months as a teenager.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    • CommentTimeJul 27th 2009
    Thor wrote
    omaha wrote

I know he has worked with rock stars and stuff, but I don't think he qualifies as a "rock musician". Or do you know something I don't? I don't think it's enough to dabble in a garage band for a few months as a teenager.

I was referring to the latter. I assumed he was a part of one for more than a few months. My apologies. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Christodoulides wrote
    'Cause i remember the last time i heard a rock musician doing film music (that radiohead dude, forgot his name....on purpose) was very dramatic to me.

Are you serious? You mean Jonny Greenwood and his There Will Be Blood effort? 'Cause that one is absolutely brilliant and among the best works of that year, certainly the best one within the film, enhancing its atmosphere and attaching to it completely, and very intriguing outside! He totally caught me by surprise with that one and showed that he's a lot better then many other modern film composers.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    BobdH wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    'Cause i remember the last time i heard a rock musician doing film music (that radiohead dude, forgot his name....on purpose) was very dramatic to me.

Are you serious? You mean Jonny Greenwood and his There Will Be Blood effort? 'Cause that one is absolutely brilliant and among the best works of that year, certainly the best one within the film, enhancing its atmosphere and attaching to it completely, and very intriguing outside! He totally caught me by surprise with that one and showed that he's a lot better then many other modern film composers.

Duh! How could I forget Johnny! face-palm-mt

That is indeed a very impressive effort, a very modernistic/dissonant score on par with any contemporary classical composers nowadays. Greenwood also has a classical formal education, for those who don't know.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    If we're gonna stretch the definition of "rock" a bit, there's also:

BT
    RZA
    Paul Oakenfold
    Brian Eno
    Tangerine Dream (and Chris Franke's solo work)
    I am extremely serious.
  1. We tend to forget Mark Mancina and Trevor Rabin from YES.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    PawelStroinski wrote
    We tend to forget Mark Mancina and Trevor Rabin from YES.

Rabin is indeed a valid selection, who has a considerable career in Yes and beyond, as songwriter, vocalist and performer.

I'm not sure about Mancina, though. Yes, he's produced rock albums by the likes of Emerson, Lake and Palmer etc., but he hasn't really had any sort of solo career as a recording rock artist. None that I'm aware of, anyway.

Again, 'rock musician' is not the same as someone who has - at some point or other - been marginally involved in rock music.

After all, we wouldn't label Zimmer a rock musician simply because he was a keyboardist in The Buggles for a short while. Nor Nick Glennie-Smith, who has also performed with huge rock acts, such as Roger Waters' massive staging of Pink Floyd's THE WALL by the Berlin wall in 1990.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. What did Glennie-Smith play?

And Zimmer went through a few bands, didn't he?
  3. Yeah first the Media Ventures Band with his buddies, than he formed the Remote Control Collective with even more buddies.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  4. No lol

I am talking about Krisma, Ultravox and The Buggles.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    PawelStroinski wrote
    What did Glennie-Smith play?

And Zimmer went through a few bands, didn't he?

Glennie-Smith played keyboards.

And yes, Zimmer went through a few more, less known New Wave bands after The Buggles (which was mostly Trevor Horn's baby anyway), but really only as session keyboardist. He had limited creative input.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    PawelStroinski wrote
    No lol

I am talking about Krisma, Ultravox and The Buggles.

He had nothing to do with Ultravox, to my knowledge, but he DID work with Warren Cann from that band.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 28th 2009
    BobdH wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

No, the first one he made, a smaller film, can't remember its title; and i wouldn't call THERE WILL BE BLOOD brilliant, but it has its moments.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thor wrote

BT
    RZA
    Paul Oakenfold
    Brian Eno

Oh my God, if only these (along with Ry Cooder) stayed within their initial whatever genres in the first place!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote
    Leaving aside well known film composers who had jazz, rock, pop beginings.

And only people who have actually composed original film scores we have...

Herbie Hancock
    Sonny Rollins
    Duke Ellington
    John Dankworth
    Miles Davis
    Jimmy Page
    Pink Floyd
    Toto
    Rick Wakeman
    Keith Emerson
    Massive Attack
    Mike Oldfield
    Tony Banks
    Damon Albarn
    Paul McCartney
    Pat Metheny
    Clannad
    Mark Knopfler
    Eric Clapton

That's as far as I can remember right now?

Updated list
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Thor wrote

BT
    RZA
    Paul Oakenfold
    Brian Eno

Oh my God, if only these (along with Ry Cooder) stayed within their initial whatever genres in the first place!

Some of Ry Cooder's scores have worked very well in the film and as a listen on CD. Same goes for Tangerine Dream.