• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. RZA's score for Ghost Dog is very good in the film and I'd be definitely interested in hearing it outside the context (I should watch the film again, as well).

Mark Knopfler is one of my favorite rockmen and I really enjoy his work in the film genre. A Shot at Glory is just precious little gem.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 28th 2009 edited
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Thor wrote
    If we're gonna stretch the definition of "rock" a bit, there's also:

BT
    RZA
    Paul Oakenfold
    Brian Eno
    Tangerine Dream (and Chris Franke's solo work)

Oh my God, if only these (along with Ry Cooder) stayed within their initial whatever genres in the first place!

Some of Ry Cooder's scores have worked very well in the film and as a listen on CD. Same goes for Tangerine Dream.

I don't claim to have heard all those, but the ones i did listen to, could easily be surpassed by an able film music composer smile
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 28th 2009
    Cooder in particular has such a specific style. Paris, Texas is lovely and I'd find it hard to imagine someone elses score in that film. He has a style that fits a certain style of film but yes, it is limiting.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    John Zorn.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Mark Knopfler is one of my favorite rockmen and I really enjoy his work in the film genre. A Shot at Glory is just precious little gem.

Haven't heard that one - must pick it up. I like almost all his work, though his film music is really more "instrumental accompaniment" than "dramatic underscore" I would suggest.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I agree. Knopfler isn't really a very good film composer, IMO. He lacks some of that dramatic sensibility that is required of professional film composers. He basically just swaps his regular recording studio with a film music recording studio, but plays out the music pretty much as if it were an instrumental studio album. I'm a long-time Knopfler fan (and Dire Straits fan), so it's not a criticism of his musicality; just of his film composing skill.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Fully agree: I tried a couple of his scores and came to pretty much the same conclusion.
    Glad to read I'm not the only one! beer
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  2. Well, the score to A Shot at Glory isn't much of a dramatic score, rather a Celtic accompaniment to the movie, but it really works.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    Cooder in particular has such a specific style. Paris, Texas is lovely and I'd find it hard to imagine someone elses score in that film. He has a style that fits a certain style of film but yes, it is limiting.

True, but there's nothing wrong with that: Cooder has never put himself forward as a film composer but rather a folk artist who now and then happens to be called upon to do music for films.

And I have to say that when he does it generally it works exceedingly well: The Long Riders -my favourite score by him- as a film is really elevated by the use of those odd, old instruments and rough-edge feel.

In fact, I tend to be generally less impressed when such clear "niche" artists try and work on a more generalist level: Cooder's Geronimo, for example, is certainly not bad, but I visit it very rarely because he has tried and compose it along far more generally accepted lines and styles...which simply isn't very interesting to me!

That probably goes for many of the other artists mentioned above as well: in keeping with their particular forte, they create a unique (to them) sound that gives the film a certain mood and feel (one would assume that is why they were chosen to compose a score in the first place!).
    When they try and break out of that mold, the magic -generally- is gone!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    "A unique (to them) sound" is the key phrase here.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Yes, that was my point? confused
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    To them; not us. Not me anyway. :buckit:
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Well, I'd be hard pressed to come up with someone who has done that Ry Cooder sound.
    Also, I find Knopfler's guitar work exceedingly recognisable (though I am no fan).

So yeah, I'd definitely say "unique".
    To those who don't like it as well. But "not liking it" is a completely different point. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Well, the score to A Shot at Glory isn't much of a dramatic score, rather a Celtic accompaniment to the movie, but it really works.

Yeah, he pretty much taps into that "celtic" mood in many of his film scores. Same for LOCAL HERO, CAL, THE PRINCESS BRIDE or LAST EXIT TO BROOKLYN. In fact, his entire SCREENPLAYING CD from the 90's.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. Well, he has Glaswegian roots and he seems to really like that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    DO we need a bucket emoticon?
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Bregt wrote
    DO we need a bucket emoticon?

We need it desperately. Actually, it is a long time request.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I think this is a case for user-specific emoticons again.
    Stavroula gets her Aphrodite, Demetris his bucket. biggrin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Good call on The Long Riders Martijn, I'd forgotten that one shame

A damn fine film too.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  4. I think Mark Snow said he played with Kamen in some rock bands; they were good friends.

One of his first ten scoring gigs had a rock sound to it.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 29th 2009
    justin boggan wrote
    I think Mark Snow said he played with Kamen in some rock bands; they were good friends.

One of his first ten scoring gigs had a rock sound to it.

Mark Snow was never a rock musician per se. The New York Rock & Roll Ensemble (which he had with Kamen in the early 70's) was more a group of classically trained students doing classical music with a rock vibe (or vice versa). Far more classical than even Electric Light Orchestra. It's pretty cool, though - I've heard their ROLL OVER album from 1971.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 30th 2009
    "Mark Snow was never a rock musician per se. '"

Or simply a musician wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Ooh. That is HARSH (sounds like a Southall comment).
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 31st 2009
    Or, or, sounds like reality wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Elton John!
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    John Barry
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    John Barry

Rock?!? More like jazz, I would take it. Also, didn't Barry do film scores almost from the very beginning, next to his Seven things?
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    No. He was doing the JB7 before he did his first film score ( Beat Girl ).
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    No. He was doing the JB7 before he did his first film score ( Beat Girl ).

OK, thanks for the info.
    I am extremely serious.