• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 17th 2010
    Very good article on empire.com

Know The Score: Rock Stars-Turned-Composers
    The rockers now scoring your favourite movies

Rock stars are a versatile bunch. They can write tunes, reduce mild-mannered crowds to baying, moshing masses, trot the globe for months on end and go triple platinum, all while wearing improbably tight trousers. And as Trent Reznor and Attica Ross prove this week with their terrific work on The Social Network, they can also knock out a highly accomplished movie scores when they set their minds to it. So if you’re looking for a composer to provide a full whack of tuneful ditties for a major Hollywood release, you could do a lot worse than head to Glastonbury. Or just have a read of our guide to some of the best rock-star/director collaborations of recent years…

Included in the article:
    Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross
    Air
    Badly Drawn Boy
    Johnny Greenwood
    (for the oustanding 'there will be blood')
    Daft Punk
    The Chemical Brothers
    Karen O And The Kids
    Clint Mansell
    Underworld and John Murphy
    David Holmes

Full article here:
    http://www.empireonline.com/features/rock-star-scores
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Why didn't they include Paul Haslinger?

biggrin
  1. Or Hans Zimmer?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Well he isn't really a rock star, is he? He had a brief beginning in the genre and then incorporated elements in his own film music. The people mentioned in the article have long, established careers outside film music; most of them anyway.
  2. Hans has been a session musician and members of a few bands before he met Stanley Myers. He's seen in the first video that was *ever* aired on MTV. That's something, isn't it? He also performed on AND produced on two albums for Mike Oldfield's sister Sally. He (I think still) is a good friend of Trevor Horn.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I am not diminishing that; but compare it with Trent Reznor for instance, or air, or chemical brothers. Hans is a film composer influenced by rock.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Hans has been a session musician and members of a few bands before he met Stanley Myers. He's seen in the first video that was *ever* aired on MTV. That's something, isn't it? He also performed on AND produced on two albums for Mike Oldfield's sister Sally. He (I think still) is a good friend of Trevor Horn.

That was 'Video Killed The Radio Star', blink and you'll miss him.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Yeah, really cheesy stuff.

But NICK CAVE though, is a huge ommision. The man's a legend.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Yeah, really cheesy stuff.

But NICK CAVE though, is a huge ommision. The man's a legend.

There are a lot of ommisions if you include those who have dabbled in film music such as Herbie Hancock, Mike Oldfield, Jimmy Page..........
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    And if you mention Quincy Jones you're talking about a league of genius all it's own.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    The question I see is where do you draw the line in this discussion as to who to include or omit. Duke Ellington did Anatomy For Murder and received an Oscar for his efforts. He really wasn't known for doing films at all. One incredible force in the world of music. When I think of the Duke I think about his orchestra and composing. When I think of Hans Zimmer I only think of his film work.
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I think the article was mostly focusing on modern, successful artists of pop / rock today, stuff that sells and which youngsters know and listen to.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I'm sure it was
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 17th 2010 edited
    Timmer wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Hans has been a session musician and members of a few bands before he met Stanley Myers. He's seen in the first video that was *ever* aired on MTV. That's something, isn't it? He also performed on AND produced on two albums for Mike Oldfield's sister Sally. He (I think still) is a good friend of Trevor Horn.

That was 'Video Killed The Radio Star', blink and you'll miss him.

Beyond The Buggles, Hans was also in the relatively unknown bands Krisma and Helden (the latter also featured Warren Cann from Ultravox). His rock career isn't as prolific and visible as that of, say, Danny Elfman, but it IS part of his musical history.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 16th 2021
    This is a trend that has just grown in the last few years. I didn't like it back in the 90s and early 2000s, but I love it now. Trent Reznor, Jonny Greenwood, Mark Knopfler, Stewart Copeland, Nick Cave, Air etc. etc. There was a time I didn't think rock (or electronica) musicians had it in them to compose dramatic music tailored specifically for film, but I've been proven wrong time and again. In fact, I tend to think that more often than not, the most interesting scores these days, come from composers with a non-film background.

A few years ago, I did a podcast episode about DJs and electronica artists doing film music: http://celluloidtunes.no/celluloid-tune … ilmmusikk/
    I am extremely serious.
  3. I find a lot of these "crossover" guys lack the dramatic sense to write effective film music. They don't really pay much heed to the "musical storytelling" aspect that draws me to the genre so it's not that interesting to me. I tend not to enjoy scores that are excessively one-note in their emotions or sound or don't develop over time, so drone scores don't do it for me.