• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Steven wrote
    I was 90% sure you weren't being serious. wink

concerning Cameron, I'm always serious shame
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeFeb 4th 2010
    Avatar reviews Part 1 and Part 2.

biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Is this supposed to be funny? Especially with the voice..It's retarded.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Yes Demetris, it's supposed to funny. And the voice is meant to sound like that! It's absolutely brilliant. biggrin It's partly tongue-in-cheek, you don't have to take it seriously - but he does make some sound points.

I like this film, but I pretty much agree with everything he says. It is a fantastically simplistic and manipulative film... but it doesn't matter, it's still enjoyable. It's still a well made simplistic and manipulative film. (Unlike the Star Wars prequels, he also reviewed, which were badly made and overly convoluted.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeFeb 4th 2010 edited
    Steven wrote
    Yes Demetris, it's supposed to funny. And the voice is meant to sound like that! It's absolutely brilliant. biggrin It's partly tongue-in-cheek, you don't have to take it seriously - but he does make some sound points.

Indeed. It's dark, twisted humour and I love it! His epic Phantom Menace reviews was brilliant and his Star Trek movie reviews are equally great!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    His arguments aren't original either (dances with the wolves etc). Anyway, i don't get it. I find it retarded but that's just me obviously.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    I agree with Demetris. A total retarded. There´s only one thing worst than an idiot: an idiot that thinks that is funny.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Marselus wrote
    I agree with Demetris. A total retarded. There´s only one thing worst than an idiot: an idiot that thinks that is funny.

Classy! rolleyes

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Come on guys, if someone from the board did that video, like for instance Justin, i can only imagine the bashing and ridicule he would get.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    Come on guys, if someone from the board did that video, like for instance Justin, i can only imagine the bashing and ridicule he would get.

No, because Justin would have finally done something that was actually creative and funny! wink

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Marselus wrote

I agree too. Didn't find it funny at all, and turned off after about 3 minutes into the first part. Not because I'm a huge fan of the movie and can't tolerate opposing views, but because it just seemed like lazy satire. But hey, that's me.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thor wrote
    but because it just seemed like lazy satire. But hey, that's me.

It's not lazy. A lot of work went into the assembly of the video to the script that was written to the points that were brought up. Admittedly, the Avatar review isn't as good as the epic Phantom Menace review or the Star Trek reviews but tI thought it was equally entertaining.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Erik Woods wrote
    Thor wrote
    but because it just seemed like lazy satire. But hey, that's me.

It's not lazy. A lot of work went into the assembly of the video to the script that was written to the points that were brought up. Admittedly, the Avatar review isn't as good as the epic Phantom Menace review or the Star Trek reviews but tI thought it was equally entertaining.

-Erik-

I meant lazy in the sense of the actual "arguments" or puns, not the execution of the video itself (which did indeed seem like a lot of work). DANCES WITH WOLVES, Blue Man Group, computer game/Disney animation, the oh-so-simple tool of "naïvification" (Nav'ii-fication?) of the plot and setting....it's all been done better before. I thought this was far more fun.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I love those guy's reviews. They're crude and offensive, but they're hilarious! biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thor wrote
    I meant lazy in the sense of the actual "arguments" or puns, not the execution of the video itself (which did indeed seem like a lot of work). DANCES WITH WOLVES, Blue Man Group, computer game/Disney animation, the oh-so-simple tool of "naïvification" (Nav'ii-fication?) of the plot and setting....it's all been done better before. I thought this was far more fun.

But that's the point. You have this 90 year old man pointing out these obvious flaws which is what makes some the execution in Avatar (and the other films reviewed) seem even more absurd.

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    LOL

"What's riiight with your face?!!" biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote

No. If Justin did it, I'd be mighty impressed! As Erik said, he would have produced something genuinely creative and funny for once. Even if Sunil had done this video, I'd have to give the man due respect! (But they didn't, so I can't.)

Look, I love the movie, but I'm not so blinded by the experience I had in the cinema to not notice its flaws (or "flaws", depending on your point of view) and get all pissy when someone has some constructive, well thought-out (and incredibly funny) criticism against it. The reviewer has a point about it being simplistic and manipulative - because, well, it is.

But I'm not worried because, as I said, it's still a well made film. (I think the only award it truly deserves though is for the visual effects.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    In fact, I'd be more than happy for him to do a damning review of my favourite films; Back To The Future! biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Thor wrote
    Marselus wrote

I agree too. Didn't find it funny at all, and turned off after about 3 minutes into the first part. Not because I'm a huge fan of the movie and can't tolerate opposing views, but because it just seemed like lazy satire. But hey, that's me.

Your face is lazy satire.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote

biggrin

lol applause
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

No, because finally something Justin did was actually creative and funny! wink

-Erik-

Justin did it!!!???? shocked

Prostrates himself I am not worthy

[spoiler]wait for it[/spoiler]
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

No, because finally something Justin did was actually creative and funny! wink

-Erik-

Justin did it!!!???? shocked

Prostrates himself I am not worthy

[spoiler]wait for it[/spoiler]

Dammit! Poor word use.

Let's try this again...

No, because Justin would have finally done something that was actually creative and funny!

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I was kidding Erik, check my spoiler wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote
    I was kidding Erik, check my spoiler wink

Oh I know... but then I read back my post... vomit

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote

biggrin

lol applause

I knew you'd appreciate it too. beer

I find it odd that Demetris, Thor and Marselus don't 'get' this review. (Well, maybe not Thor. I know there are some things he's just not partial to.wink) It's poking fun for the sake of poking fun! With dark, twisted humour no less.
  2. I haven't seen his AVATAR review, but his PHANTOM MENACE review (also featuring a slow voice and a vaguely deranged reviewing persona) was a solid hour of viewing. Maybe AVATAR simply isn't bad enough to support the same kind of criticism that TPM invited with nearly every single creative/story/tonal choice?

I notice it's the Europeans who seem to be not so warm on this. There's possibly a tradition of humour here which is a bit foreign to their funny bones.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    franz_conrad wrote
    Maybe AVATAR simply isn't bad enough to support the same kind of criticism that TPM invited with nearly every single creative/story/tonal choice?

I think you might be right there. The Star Wars prequels had very little in the way of redeeming qualities, at least Avatar is a decent film (even if I think the reviewer makes some very good points biggrin ).

I notice it's the Europeans who seem to be not so warm on this. There's possibly a tradition of humour here which is a bit foreign to their funny bones.

Aye, you could be onto something there. At least the Brits, the Aussies and the Canadians enjoy them! wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    I loved it. Hilarious! biggrin
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Steven wrote
    Aye, you could be onto something there. At least the Brits, the Aussies and the Canadians enjoy them!

Belgians too!
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    On another note (but still on topic), I listened to the soundtrack again after a couple of weeks or so of not listening to it, and to be honest it only fared even better. Sure, I don't think anyone believes Horner really worked 18 hour days for a year to basically come up with something that sounds exactly like what he would have written in, say, a couple of weeks, and nor do I think it's particularly original... but it works for me. 'War' just gets better with each listen!

Although I do have one question: the theme -or motif- for Hometree when Jake is taken there for his first time sounds incredibly familiar? Where have I heard that before!?