• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeFeb 4th 2010
    Bregt wrote
    I loved it. Hilarious! biggrin

I'm revoking your European citizenship.
  1. Hey, I enjoy the soundtrack too. wink
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeFeb 4th 2010 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    Is this supposed to be funny? Especially with the voice..It's retarded.

I find myself with the Greek, defending the Thermopylean passes of taste and style.

Three or four mildly amusing remarks and one "funny voice" stretched to twenty minutes!
    Ye gods...
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Yep, it's a European thing.

Bregt, do you have any British, Australian or Canadian relatives by any chance?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeFeb 4th 2010 edited
    I'm mostly extra-terrestrial, but I might.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Ah, that actually makes sense.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Even cows like ET here.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Ah, that actually makes sense.

So that's where Gertrude went.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Steven wrote
    I do have one question: the theme -or motif- for Hometree when Jake is taken there for his first time sounds incredibly familiar? Where have I heard that before!?

Bump.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    franz_conrad wrote
    Hey, I enjoy the soundtrack too. wink

Oh I know. But I think we're both in agreement about its, how should I say, non-award deserving...qualities? (Or something like that.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeFeb 5th 2010
    Steven wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Come on guys, if someone from the board did that video, like for instance Justin, i can only imagine the bashing and ridicule he would get.

No. If Justin did it, I'd be mighty impressed! As Erik said, he would have produced something genuinely creative and funny for once. Even if Sunil had done this video, I'd have to give the man due respect! (But they didn't, so I can't.)

Look, I love the movie, but I'm not so blinded by the experience I had in the cinema to not notice its flaws (or "flaws", depending on your point of view) and get all pissy when someone has some constructive, well thought-out (and incredibly funny) criticism against it. The reviewer has a point about it being simplistic and manipulative - because, well, it is.

But I'm not worried because, as I said, it's still a well made film. (I think the only award it truly deserves though is for the visual effects.)

Steven, the problem's obviously not just with me. You can see that many people didn't "get" that, humor. But let's not discuss it longer, it's natural really.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    On another note (but still on topic), I listened to the soundtrack again after a couple of weeks or so of not listening to it, and to be honest it only fared even better. Sure, I don't think anyone believes Horner really worked 18 hour days for a year to basically come up with something that sounds exactly like what he would have written in, say, a couple of weeks, and nor do I think it's particularly original... but it works for me. 'War' just gets better with each listen!

Someone important will be very pleased if he read that wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    Yep, it's a European thing.

Bregt, do you have any British, Australian or Canadian relatives by any chance?

Where to Aussies fit in that team? wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    Steven, the problem's obviously not just with me. You can see that many people didn't "get" that, humor. But let's not discuss it longer, it's natural really.

Actually, MANY people got it. It's just you, Thor and Marselus that are standing in the corner all by yourself wondering why you have no friends.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Only you think Marcel is in the corner, but he's actually used his secret agent skills to get up behind you to snap your neck.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 5th 2010 edited
    Erik Woods wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Actually, MANY people got it. It's just you, Thor and Marselus that are standing in the corner all by yourself wondering why you have no friends.

-Erik-

cry
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Erik Woods wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

-Erik-

cry cry

Anthony wrote
    Only you think Marcel is in the corner, but he's actually used his secret agent skills to get up behind you to snap your neck

biggrin
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Maybe you guys have a sense of humor after all! biggrin

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    He's quite right though, Neytiri does have the kind of mouth you want to tape up.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thor wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

-Erik-

cry

And Martijn.

We go drink beers and have fun killing people with Marcel leading us in Bond tunes, whilst you sit down and listen to a retard talking in odd ways wink tongue beer
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    You won't take me alive copper!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Christodoulides wrote
    And Martijn.

We go drink beers and have fun killing people with Marcel leading us in Bond tunes, whilst you sit down and listen to a retard talking in odd ways wink tongue beer

biggrin
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
  2. Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    Avatar reviews Part 1 and Part 2.

biggrin

lol applause

I knew you'd appreciate it too. beer

I find it odd that Demetris, Thor and Marselus don't 'get' this review. (Well, maybe not Thor. I know there are some things he's just not partial to.wink) It's poking fun for the sake of poking fun! With dark, twisted humour no less.

Loved it as well, funny when you least expect it plus he made some good observations about story simplicity, Cameron's ego and so on, but his little review still doesn't make me love the film any less. Sure Avatar's manipulative, but popular entertainment is about the only domain in which I want to be manipulated, and I don't mind it one bit. cheesy
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeFeb 6th 2010
    DreamTheater wrote
    ...but his little review still doesn't make me love the film any less. Sure Avatar's manipulative, but popular entertainment is about the only domain in which I want to be manipulated, and I don't mind it one bit. cheesy

Exactly! The review is meant to be taken with a serious dose of salt, that's glaringly obvious the moment you hear his voice (which is supposed to sound the way it does). The whole point of these reviews is to poke fun at something popular in a creative, funny and intelligent way. You don't have to agree with him to enjoy it! As I said, I would love for him to do some reviews of my favourite films. Indiana Jones and Back To The Future would be ripe for satire I think.
  3. Going to watch it again in 3D later today, this time with the old folks, should be their first real cinema experience in a while. I've been able to convince them it really is worth it to go out and see it in 3 dimensions seeing my dad is already won over by the technology. smile
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  4. Well after seeing it yesterday mother dear had about all she wanted with the 3D, she had feelings of dizziness and couldn't understand some of the characters were so small. I tried to explain it's because everything's in perspective. Also when they were walking on the big tree looking down, she had her worst fears come alive: her fear of heights... It just was too much for her brain. But she liked the film on its own well enough, just good old 2D will do for her. dizzy

My dad loved the whole thing though. If he can sit through a film without nodding off once, that's an indication he liked it. Of course the fantastic 3D effect made sure he wouldn't nod off. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeFeb 12th 2010
    I was slated to go and see it today, finally, but this monster flu is keeping me up for the second night in a row... angry
    Highly unlikely I'll be in a film-watching mood in a couple of hours.
    Leave alone one in 3D. slant
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Sounds nasty bud! slant Feaverish dreams and shit?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    The works. Fever, epically runny nose, sore throat, incredible headache, and so tired you get into this "unnatural state of wakefulness", just like I've had three liters of coffee followed by a couple of snorts of coke or sumptin'.

vomit

Been a long time since I got it this bad. slant

It'll pass in three days though. Nothing a shipload of oranges won't fix. punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeFeb 12th 2010 edited
    Martijn, sorry to hear that mate. Wishing you all the best for a quick recovery.