• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. So say we all!
  2. So Say We All!!
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 12th 2010
    Martijn wrote
    The works. Fever, epically runny nose, sore throat, incredible headache, and so tired you get into this "unnatural state of wakefulness", just like I've had three liters of coffee followed by a couple of snorts of coke or sumptin'.

vomit

Been a long time since I got it this bad. slant

It'll pass in three days though. Nothing a shipload of oranges won't fix. punk

Yeah, that's proper flu slant
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  3. So, I know I'm super late with this but I have to say that this film was the single-best experience I've ever had watching a movie in a long time. I saw it first in 3D and was absolutely thunderstruck...a few weeks later, I watched it again in 2D and was only further enamored with this movie, that I can only characterize as a genuine labor of love on the part of James Cameron. The plot's familiarity didn't faze me at all, because I was just so engrossed by the world, the story, and the characters within 10 minutes of the movie's opening. And of course, the score by James Horner is absolutely stellar.

I know that the movie has gotten dumped on a little now that it's made an astronomical amount of money, and the Academy showed it absolutely no appreciation whatsoever, but that doesn't change the fact that this movie has moved me in a way that only a few other movies has in such a short time (I can say A Beautiful Mind, WALL-E, and Spirited Away would be those few). Bravo Msr. Cameron!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 26th 2010
    Agree, i also thought AVATAR 3D was one of the richer cinematic experiences i ever had. Loved every moment in it!

Welcome aboard btw!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTalos
    • CommentTimeApr 12th 2010
    Interesting news.... James Cameron's real "Avatar" mission. (in the Amazon)

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/11/world … razil.html
    www.budgethotels-hongkong.com LOWEST Hong Kong hotel rates
  4. Documentaries about undersea adventures to the sunken Titanic, about the same time as Titanic? Off the jungle around the same time as Avatar.

I hope no alien life is discovered soon, he'll be off to kick some ass ala Aliens?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorTalos
    • CommentTimeApr 12th 2010
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Documentaries about undersea adventures to the sunken Titanic, about the same time as Titanic? Off the jungle around the same time as Avatar.

I hope no alien life is discovered soon, he'll be off to kick some ass ala Aliens?

Yeah, or some kind of Predator type of movie with a kickass score by Silvestri or Horner.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTalos
    • CommentTimeApr 16th 2010 edited
    ... deleted.
  5. So who's getting the film in less than a week's time?

April 21, I'll be buying the blu-ray. Will be my first experience seeing it in boring 2 dimensions. tongue
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  6. http://www.thedigitalbits.com/reviewshd … 42210.html

Well the blu-ray is out and I'll be getting it, slightly disappointed there is zero bonus content. But picture quality as well as audio are first rate. Their absolutely reference material judging from the comments I've read so far.

If you ever needed a reason to get on the hi-def train, Avatar is the ticket !! Well at least until the 3D-version comes out for the home market ! cool

So now the film's going out of the theatres, the marketing machine is once again working at full speed, because we're supposedly getting an Avatar SE later in the year that will make this one obsolete. So the question is to get it now if you're impatient, or wait and get more bang for your buck.

I say what the hell... Pandora is a trip worth taking to anytime. beer
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeApr 23rd 2010
    I saw it twice (through no fault of my own) in the cinema, so I'm in no rush to see it again on Blu-Ray. (Which is good, because then I might be more inclined to see the super-mega-awesome-uber-brilliant-3D version... whenever that gets released.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeApr 25th 2010 edited
    omg

I've just watched it again in 2D this time. The blu-ray looks god-honest absolutely gobsmackingly beautiful. shocked shocked The picture is incredibly more detailed and colours are deliciously vivid and never dull. I can't think of a more handsome looking (and sounding) blu-ray out than Avatar.

And I didn't miss the 3D bit one ... uhm ... bit. smile
  7. And the score sounds great in the mix I must say, especially during the second half. I definitely enjoy it more that way. punk
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeApr 25th 2010
    I watched the blu ray version yesterday and it is indeed very good looking!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeApr 25th 2010
    Anthony wrote
    I watched the blu ray version yesterday and it is indeed very good looking!

You did? I thought it wasn't released until the 26th?

....Play.com?
  8. The store where I bought it, was playing Avatar on a big screen but only in SD. shocked crazy

Seriously, how are you going to wow people or lure them into buying it if you're not showing the HD version. face-palm-mt

Needless to say the DVD version looks like total crap.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeApr 26th 2010
    No worries for me, it's not exactly the type of movie i'd watch twice (very good first viewing, a technological (and not only) masterpiece), but there's not so much in the story to keep me returning back for 2nd and 3rd viewing (not that i do it with other movies anyway that is wink )
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote
    No worries for me, it's not exactly the type of movie i'd watch twice (very good first viewing, a technological (and not only) masterpiece), but there's not so much in the story to keep me returning back for 2nd and 3rd viewing (not that i do it with other movies anyway that is wink )

Me neither. And I agree, once you've seen the impressive effects, there's little else that makes you want to return to it. Unless you're Thor and pretty images are more important than a good story.
  9. DreamTheater wrote
    The store where I bought it, was playing Avatar on a big screen but only in SD. shocked crazy

Seriously, how are you going to wow people or lure them into buying it if you're not showing the HD version. face-palm-mt

I'm not sure what the take-up percentage for Blue-Ray is but maybe they are showing the film in the format the majority of the people have? Shouldn't they be showing it in 3-D using the technology used in the cinema? TVs in the UK retail at £1800. Then there's the cost of the 3-D glasses (£150), a 3-D Blue-Ray player (£350), etc.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  10. Steven wrote
    Unless you're Thor and pretty images are more important than a good story.

Isn't that a red rag I see you waving, Steven? In 3-D as well!
  11. Steven wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Me neither. And I agree, once you've seen the impressive effects, there's little else that makes you want to return to it. Unless you're Thor and pretty images are more important than a good story.

Oh I already know I'm going to watch it again and again. Great movies are meant to be watched many many times, at least for me. The visuals will never get tired, so I'll never tire of watching Avatar, and many other films I might add that aren't as impressive visually. I'm just built that way.

It also helps that I have a very short memory span. I quickly forget what happens in films, not the big moments of course, but all the tiny details get lost over as little as a couple of months. shame
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I forget the details too; most of the times the average movies i watch are completely forgettable to me but still i consider time too valuable to re-watch stuff that i've seen before, i prefer to invest it in seeing new features.
  12. FalkirkBairn wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    The store where I bought it, was playing Avatar on a big screen but only in SD. shocked crazy

I'm not sure what the take-up percentage for Blue-Ray is but maybe they are showing the film in the format the majority of the people have? Shouldn't they be showing it in 3-D using the technology used in the cinema? TVs in the UK retail at £1800. Then there's the cost of the 3-D glasses (£150), a 3-D Blue-Ray player (£350), etc.

Not showing the latest technology is a big no-no in marketing strategy, I should think. If you only show what the majority of people have, how are they going to get convinced the next step is something sharper, more colourful and much more detailed than what they have? Unless the store wants to sell more HDTV's, more blu-ray players and discs, by all means show it in SD, that way nobody will stand still and have a look at it. It makes no sense to me, as the store is known to have all the latest in audio-visual technology present and is quite a huge player in our country.

And 3D for the consumer market is only starting, for a 3D-release of Avatar it could still be a year or more away, depending on how the home market will respond.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 7th 2010 edited
    Steven wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

tongue

Not necessarily MORE, but JUST AS (and they don't have to be "pretty" either).
    I am extremely serious.
  13. I just watched this movie for the third time, this time on DVD. Despite all the backlash and derision it's gotten lately, it's still one of my all-time favorite movies. It's not even a film to me, it's an experience...
  14. If you think the DVD is an experience, wait until you watch it in hi-def. It's mind-blowing !!! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMay 19th 2010
    Sorry to poop on everyone's enthusiasm (I'm not), but I pretty agree with this review.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Steven wrote
    Sorry to poop on everyone's enthusiasm (I'm not), but I pretty agree with this review.

Nah, you're free to your opinion, but I'm at the other end of the spectrum. I think it's film history cornerstone already, and a pro-article of mine is coming up soon.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    A visual treat for sure, but I just wasn't taken in by the emotion (which would be a failure of the story, hence the film not having as much impact on me as it should have. But let's not get into that, because you'r---... it's boring.).

It seemed pretty hollow to me. Cameron clubs you over the head by trying too hard to get you to empathise with the Na'Vi by using just about every cheap trick in the book - and in the end, it numbed me to the emotion. Still, the effects were great.