• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeNov 1st 2009
    Christodoulides wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Saw the new trailer... WOW! I'm more than ever excited to go see this. Even though it might be a CGI spectacle like so many have been before, Cameron knows how to make movies that stay in your head for long. I just know I will love this for the story alone... and the battles will be huge. Cameron rules !!!! My collection has all his films (except Piranha II biggrin ) and I give nearly all of them the highest possible rating... Enough said!

(except for titanic) tongue

Titanic needs a Special Edition like Star Wars original movies. Some of his CGI has became dated too fast.
  1. 4-star classic in my book (out of 4). I'm not ashamed to admit I adore this so-called chick flick.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  2. Nautilus wrote
    Titanic needs a Special Edition like Star Wars original movies. Some of his CGI has became dated too fast.

OMG. You must be kidding. Titanic hasn't dated at all, the visual effects continue to impress, how the hell are you watching this film? Youtube?
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    DreamTheater wrote
    4-star classic in my book (out of 4). I'm not ashamed to admit I adore this so-called chick flick.

5 star out of 5! wink Love it.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Avatar or The Smurfs going to war
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Nautilus wrote
    Avatar or The Smurfs going to war

biggrin
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Marselus wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    4-star classic in my book (out of 4). I'm not ashamed to admit I adore this so-called chick flick.

5 star out of 5! wink Love it.

Oh.

And you're both chicks.

Now take that.
  3. No you take that back!!!! angry
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Nautilus wrote

That's ludicrous. BTW, Star Wars DIDN'T need a Special Edition either. Give me models and motion control photography over CGI anyday!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeNov 1st 2009 edited
    Erik Woods wrote
    Nautilus wrote

That's ludicrous. BTW, Star Wars DIDN'T need a Special Edition either. Give me models and motion control photography over CGI anyday!

-Erik-

Agree with u here.

In fact models in Titanic still looks gorgeous, the dated FX from Titanic are CGI. I just wanted to mean Cameron could fix this dated CGI in a special aniversary edition. Because Titanic has dated faster than Abyss, Aliens or T2 wich still looks impressive.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Nautilus wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Nautilus wrote

-Erik-

Agree with u here.

In fact models in Titanic still looks gorgeous, the dated FX from Titanic are CGI. I just wanted to mean Cameron could fix this dated CGI in a special aniversary edition. Because Titanic has dated faster than Abyss, Aliens or T2 wich still looks impressive.

What exactly - according to you - is dated.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  4. Nautilus wrote

Quoted for Bollocks... Whatever man confused

Titanic looking more dated than Aliens, OK now that's funny. biggrin

Maybe he means Titanic is dated because the ship, costumes, architecture and interior design is from 100 years ago, and Aliens is less dated because it's set in the future? That would make sense. tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    DreamTheater wrote
    Maybe he means Titanic is dated because the ship, costumes, architecture and interior design is from 100 years ago, and Aliens is less dated because it's set in the future? That would make sense. tongue

punk

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 2nd 2009
    Jordi I loves ya man but boy you don't half talk some utter twonk at times.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeNov 3rd 2009
    By the way, what is the revolution in Avatar?

the combination of CGI is not the same from LOTR trilogy and th 3D the same of all the animated movies?

I'm make this question with really good intention.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I don't think he revolutionized anything in the technical level; the revolution is that it's Cameron's new film wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    I don't keep up my expectations too high either considering the technical revolution of this movie. At least I cannot see anything especially new in the trailer. I'm not really keen on 3D either so I just hope that the story will be good enough for this 3 hour long movie.
  5. AFAIK, the revolution is the way the 3D technology will be used in this movie. They developed certain new devices that allowed them to make the 3D environment a lot more natural and less "poke-you-in-the-eye" stuffy in a way that doesn´t distract you from the movie or its story, but helps you to really become a part of the environment. They perfectionized the whole process and tried to find the perfect spots to center the 3D in any given frame. That combined with the artificial environment seems to have an amazingly effect that the viewer´s brain interpretes as reality. I heard about test viewers who spent more than twenty minutes with Pandora scenes who developed a kind of addiction to return to this experience. Personally, I doubt that it really goes this far, but I don´t doubt that this will be the best 3D experience so far.

There you go.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    AFAIK, the revolution is the way the 3D technology will be used in this movie. They developed certain new devices that allowed them to make the 3D environment a lot more natural and less "poke-you-in-the-eye" stuffy in a way that doesn´t distract you from the movie or its story, but helps you to really become a part of the environment.

I really hope so because, so far, the 3D thing is more of a park attraction than a cinematographic experience. Not 3D´s biggest fan here.
  6. As someone who has been slowly developing an understanding of filmmaking via trying it in recent years, I can't help but view the drive to 3D with some trepidation. It's a drive towards a kind of naturalistic impression that somehow seems to defy the outlandish situations it's usually used to depict. Comparing it to the language of 2D filmmaking (which was always 3D through its sound design), a certain representational abstraction is lost. (You could compare it to the difference between the anatomically-correct, yet hyper-real and cartoonish events of American animation vs spare aesthetics of anime. One is more real on a superficial level, and yet the other is the greater instrument of truth.)

What is sad is that it's not hard to imagine a generation around the corner that might be raised on 3D-based filmmaking that will find it as hard to buy into 2D filmmaking as so many children of today struggle with Black&White filmmaking. Classics of the 2D era will have to be re-interpreted as 3D work in fresh adaptations or in overhauls of the existing films in order to find traction with the new audiences.

So I do hope that the technology fails to take on. And for no other reason than this - if all it took to get people back to cinemas was more flashing lights, then there is no incentive for the present moribund state of high budget storytelling to get any better. For all they will need is more flashing lights.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Indeed. With this kind of things, cinema is slowly loosing its grace. When you have so many flashing technologies around the corner, you can easily hide all the flaws of actual narrative devices, dialogue, acting, and story, in a shiny cover.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 3rd 2009 edited
    I have to repeat what I said earlier - in many places, Oslo and Norway included, 3D-compatible theatres are almost non-existant (Oslo's only IMAX theatre was demolished years ago), so the film will be screened on regular 2D screens. If the whole film is geared towards 3D aesthetics - whether "gimmicky" or not - it MUST lost some of its power, right? I'm with Marselus here. This is more like an amusement park attraction than a revolutionary film experience. But I'll still watch it and see how it comes through (no pun intended).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    franz_conrad wrote
    Comparing it to the language of 2D filmmaking (which was always 3D through its sound design), a certain representational abstraction is lost.

The very point could be made by films moving from silent to mono to stereo to surround sound (the last one being the -relatively late- stage *I* would argue a more three-dimensional design was realized.

I'm not too worried.
    As with every single other lasting (so odorama is out wink ) technical development in film, it will be used as a coat hanger to hang terrible projects on that should by rights never have been made, adding nothing to cinema's accomplishments, and on the other hand will serve as another breached frontier for innovative and clever film makers to create hings hitherto unseen.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Same here btw, very rare of an event to find a 3d cinema screen. And where they have them, they bring only 1-2 3d movies per year, they don't use it as much. It's going to be 2d for us too, but i sincerely wish this technology won't succeed. 2d cartoons is one thing (and they DO have their grace, truth to be told, in contrast to the shitload of 3d that gets out (with the exception of pixar) that has visuals 100% and story / meaning 0%) but 2d cinema IS cinema.
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    Unfortunately the 3D technology slowly occupies the cinemas everywhere. For instance here in Hungary Zemeckis's new movie, A Christmas Carol will ONLY be presented in 3D. (At least that's what the sources say). It means far less screens but due to the higher ticket prices the distributor hopes it will earn more money.

I have recently seen UP! in 3D and in my opinion the 3D added nothing to the experience. It's a good gimmick but a really good story can stand on its own in 2D and one don't feel the urge to watch it in 3D. (At least, I certainly don't)

I agree with the movie critic who has recently said he expected deepness not in the visuals but in the story.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    Guys, honestly, if everyone thought about advances in film technology the way you do, we would still watch b&w silent movies, because "a good story doesn´t need sound or colour", as they´ve probably said a hundred years ago. I agree, BTW, but, on the other hand, I´d rather watch a good story with great sound, great colours, digital projection, and in well-accomplished 3D, than in b&w and with a piano player.

I have nothing against nostalgia. The b&w silent Ben-Hur is a masterpiece that´s still worth watching, but also is its more modern counterpart. Nobody says anything against enjoying an old style once in a while. Schindler´s List springs to mind. And I´m all for Disney´s new attempt to bring back 2D animation. But to damn a new tech just because it´s a new toy is conservatism for its own sake.

That´s what I tried to say, Avatar´s revolution is the attempt to use 3D for enhancing what´s happening on screen, not as a toy that stands out all for itself. What exactly speaks against such an attempt, to enhance the way of storytelling, as it has been done from book to radio play, from radio to movies, from silence to sound, from b&w to colour?

This is the same kind of discussion that CGI is facing. How many great stories have already been enhanced by a natural use of CGI? Should we damn CGI because it´s used by many untalented guys out there as the attaction device for their movies? No. CGI, as 3D, is a technology. As is colour and sound. It all depends on how it gets used, and Cameron is trying to change that exactly. His specific goal was, as he´s said a million times right now, to revolutionize the use of 3D to make it feel more natural, to NOT stand out. Whether he succeeds or not is a different matter altogether, but I applaud him for trying this.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    keky wrote
    Unfortunately the 3D technology slowly occupies the cinemas everywhere. For instance here in Hungary Zemeckis's new movie, A Christmas Carol will ONLY be presented in 3D. (At least that's what the sources say). It means far less screens but due to the higher ticket prices the distributor hopes it will earn more money.

I have recently seen UP! in 3D and in my opinion the 3D added nothing to the experience. It's a good gimmick but a really good story can stand on its own in 2D and one don't feel the urge to watch it in 3D. (At least, I certainly don't)

I agree with the movie critic who has recently said he expected deepness not in the visuals but in the story.

I saw UP in regular 2D and it was marvellous. It lacked nothing.

Ralph, our days are a strong proof that NEW isn't always the best, in all aspects, social and art-wise. 2D cinema to 3D is an enhancement, not a big leap like the examples you mention.

Nobody is daming new technologies. But in our times, they're mostly used just for the sake of it, against a possibly good, valid story, actual acting and real cinematic values. As Erik said CGI BUKKAKE (or 3d bukkake or anything in the same vein) just for the sake of it has no real value.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    I see the invention of 3D as another step toward really becoming a part of the film experience. One other was surround sound, and the technology has really come from far and in this day and age sound design is pretty much perfect in immersing the audience in the action. So the next step is doing the same thing but for the visual side of the film. I've seen UP in 3D and it certainly added something, while it didn't make the movie better per se, 3D made it easier to transport myself in the world, and connect to the characters even more. But that doesn't mean I won't enjoy this movie less in 2 dimensions, as that's the only way to see it at home.

I think 3D is the way to get the audience even more involved in the movie experience and I for one can't wait to live the experience when Cameron's epic is released and I can put those goofy glasses on. punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Yeah but maybe it helps that it was an animated film, same with BEOWULF which looked stunning in 3D. But have you thought a cinematic world where everything LOOKS like animation (i.e. no matter how good it'll get, it'll have that "Artificial" and "fake" air to it?) ? Say, imagine a CGI public enemies. No comment on that.