• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeNov 3rd 2009
    Franz is perhaps a bit too pessimistic. Are you sure you took of the 3D glasses when you watched Beowulf? wink

I hope there's no scratch on my stupid glasses when I'm going to see Avatar. The price of the ticket will most certainly cause my brain to go 3Dimensional too.

I wanted to see Up too, but it only was in 3D, so I had to skip that movie. sad
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    You skipped UP?! That's the best film I've seen in eons!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    I didn't want to see it in 3D actually. Costs also 11EUR's here.
    Kazoo
  1. Martijn wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    Comparing it to the language of 2D filmmaking (which was always 3D through its sound design), a certain representational abstraction is lost.

The very point could be made by films moving from silent to mono to stereo to surround sound (the last one being the -relatively late- stage *I* would argue a more three-dimensional design was realized.

It's funny you use that example actually. I was watching Hitchcock's REAR WINDOW the other day, and in the final tense sequence where we hear Raymond Burr approaching Jimmy Stewart's apartment, the sound design there is something you couldn't really do in the current surround framework. You could approximate the idea, but there's a simplicity and directness to the way what they chose in a mono framework that simply wouldn't work the same way anymore.

And you're right, it's a two-sided coin. I'm not bemoaning the technology, but if it makes it less possible to tell a certain sort of story, it's worth measuring the cost.

My answer to Ralph: It's not about nostalgia. If the representational abstraction thing doesn't make any sense to you, think of it from a more practical perspective. It's more about wanting there to be real choices when you approach this artform. And there aren't. If you want to make a black and white film on film now, the cost structures approach prohibitive, and you can't get daillies in my country. (You have to send the footage via New York, basically.) So I can only use the 'improvement' that is colour. But not every story I can tell benefits from that choice. My resistance to 3D comes from the fact that I can see the structures that need to support it thoroughly supplanting existing industry structures. The need to rationalise supply businesses and keep them profitable has tended to work against having too many creative options available to filmmakers, so it's likely in 20 years if 3D takes off then it will the standard, and only those with the countless millions will be able to wield it. (Which sounds very good to a Warner Brothers board room, but not so much to the independent filmmaker.)

What it partly is about is skepticism. There is a history of trying to get people back to the cinemas with greater spectacle. I'm not sure how many classics (with the exception of APOCALYPSE NOW and its 5.1 sound) this kind of thinking has ever produced, usually because the technology is favoured over the heart of the matter. I'll always be skeptical of James Cameron in this respect, because the last time he made a dramatic feature, the story at the centre had all the strength of TWILIGHT mixed with THE POSEIDON ADVENTURE.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Bregt wrote
    I didn't want to see it in 3D actually. Costs also 11EUR's here.

Was cost the only reason? It was more here too, but for what it was worth I went..twice! The film really was that good, and it's not going to be available in 3D for some time (until the next gen blu-ray players come out at least).
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeNov 10th 2009 edited
    A third TV Spot.

NOW! THAT IS WHAT THEY HAVE TO DO! THIS KIND OF MARKETING CAMPAIGN: VISIT PANDORA.EXPERIENCE A NEW WORLD IN 3D.

In this trailer they put more images from the planet, so you can imagine how amazing it could be in 3d. Anyway, the music is a little out of place, even if they have tried to do a little bit more familiar oriented trailer.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=60734

PS:Are they scared? because maybe it's too earli for so much tv spots? I dont know...
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 10th 2009
    The first trailer they put out is the best of them all, imo. Very much looking forward to the movie and score but i am not watching these clips too much, i prefer to have the original idea of the first trailer in my mind instead, up to the actual release.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthortimme
    • CommentTimeNov 11th 2009
    You can listen to an interview with Lisbeth Scott on www.filmmusicsite.com.
    She comments on her work with James Horner on the Avatar score.
  2. Interesting interview! Thanks Tim (Horemans). Didn't know you did these kind of interviews. Cheers man.

A beautiful voice, that's for sure. So she was on Passion of the Christ. I love it even more...
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Can someone sum up what she says in the interview?
    •  
      CommentAuthorAntineutrino
    • CommentTimeNov 11th 2009 edited
    She says that she isn't allowed to say anything about it, more or less.
  3. Christodoulides wrote

So you don't have 35 minutes to spare mate?

Basically she said people that have no time to listen to interviews will burn in hell. That about sums it up! tongue

You can also skip the music at certain points, another 10 minutes off.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  4. DreamTheater wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Basically she said people that have no time to listen to interviews will burn in hell. That about sums it up! tongue

Could someone summarise what Gilles just said?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    DreamTheater wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

For Lisbeth? Why should I? She's good don't get me wrong, but i think the whole Lisbeth scott thing is overrated and i certainly wouldn't sit down to listen to 35 minutes of her talking, esp. since i gather from everybody said that she doesn't really say much...
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    DreamTheater wrote
    Interesting interview! Thanks Tim (Horemans). Didn't know you did these kind of interviews. Cheers man.

A beautiful voice, that's for sure. So she was on Passion of the Christ. I love it even more...

Nothing against Scott, but I think Horner should have worked with Sissel again (one of my country's more successful musical exports), like he did on TITANIC.
    I am extremely serious.
  5. Yep, I've not heard of her since Titanic. Well she had a dance hit once in the late 90s, what was it called, it had classical music as the melody?
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    OFFTOPIC: Thor, just because you mention her: Is there ANY kind of recording from Sissel´s LOTR concert versions of Gollum´s Song or Into the West? We saw her live in Antwerpen, and Sissel´s Into the West is unbelievably superior to the original.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    OFFTOPIC: Thor, just because you mention her: Is there ANY kind of recording from Sissel´s LOTR concert versions of Gollum´s Song or Into the West? We saw her live in Antwerpen, and Sissel´s Into the West is unbelievably superior to the original.

I don't know. I haven't seen any. But I love her version too. Saw her perform it live in the LOTR concert in Oslo in 2005 or thereabouts.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    DreamTheater wrote
    Yep, I've not heard of her since Titanic. Well she had a dance hit once in the late 90s, what was it called, it had classical music as the melody?

You're thinking of Warren G's "Prince Igor" from 97:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-blfPCOeLQ0

I must admit that I haven't been keeping up-to-date on her work since TITANIC, but she's in our media now with a new Christmas album.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeNov 12th 2009 edited
    She´s done lots of albums in the meantime (albs? albae?), some classical, some modern-oriented. Extremely beautiful stuff.

I remember seeing her the first time during a "Christmas in Vienna" concert with Placido Domingo and Charles Aznavour. After that concert, we had to check our pulses. If you have any feelings at all for christmas songs AND/OR Sissel, do yourself a favour and check youtube. Some songs from the concert made it there.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeNov 12th 2009
    Ralph Kruhm wrote

I saw her perform it in London and thought it was terrible compared with Annie Lennox's version!
  6. I can never tell how good an 'Into the West' performer is. While I love the melody, the lyrics have always felt like they walked out of a James Horner end title song. It's a pity they didn't translate them to a Tolkienesque language so that I wouldn't have to understand them.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    Southall wrote
    Ralph Kruhm wrote

I saw her perform it in London and thought it was terrible compared with Annie Lennox's version!

Did she have a bad day or was it just her way of doing things which you didn´t like?

1:0
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Southall wrote
    Ralph Kruhm wrote

Did she have a bad day or was it just her way of doing things which you didn´t like?

1:0

It may just have been her performance on the day (I think it was the first time it had been performed by her) - but probably I'm just too used to the Lennox version, which I think is fabulous.

I can sympathise with Franz's point - many a fine song has been spoiled by me being able to understand the lyrics! (Though I think in this case they're rather further along the evolutionary scale than most of those which accompany James Horner songs.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I think the lyrics for "Into the West" are absolutely GORGEOUS and a PERFECT match to the music. Especially that bit about "lay down your weary head" moves me to no end each time. There aren't many movie songs that move me as much as this.
    I am extremely serious.
  7. I will charm you with a sentimental gesture when next I see you, Thor. biggrin Not having a sweet and weary head myself (just a weary head), this sort of thing goes in one ear and out the other with me. There is one line I like about 'silver glass' though, which begins to approximate the great unknowns the song tries to put into words.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    franz_conrad wrote
    I will charm you with a sentimental gesture when next I see you, Thor. biggrin Not having a sweet and weary head myself (just a weary head), this sort of thing goes in one ear and out the other with me. There is one line I like about 'silver glass' though, which begins to approximate the great unknowns the song tries to put into words.

It's all about idenfication. I really identify with the link between "tired" and "going to sleep for good", that you've done everything in your power, that you've stuck around and fought the fights you need despite all the shit that the world is throwing your way; the sacrifices you've done...and that you're now finally allowed time to relax and ease the pain. It somehow strikes a chord with me, that whole thing. I don't need fancy schmancy prose for that.
    I am extremely serious.
  8. With the benefit of hindsight, my respect for the whole LOTR project is tempered quite a bit by its embrace of the charms of New Age music. It greases the rails for a lot of people to fall under the spell, but I do wonder what gravitas the approach of a Goldenthal, Corigliano or Adams might have had.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    franz_conrad wrote
    With the benefit of hindsight, my respect for the whole LOTR project is tempered quite a bit by its embrace of the charms of New Age music. It greases the rails for a lot of people to fall under the spell, but I do wonder what gravitas the approach of a Goldenthal, Corigliano or Adams might have had.

???

"New Age" music? In LOTR? Where?
    I am extremely serious.
  9. Enya... Celtic chic... Elizabeth Fraser... Annie Lennox at her dreamiest... the Sissel/Liv Tyler songs.. the often hymnal diatonic emphasis ... it probably only accounts for 20% of the score, but it's a big clue that a pack of Wellington-based artists made the film. wink