• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 12th 2009
    franz_conrad wrote
    Enya... Celtic chic... Elizabeth Fraser... Annie Lennox at her dreamiest... the Sissel/Liv Tyler songs.. the often hymnal diatonic emphasis ... it probably only accounts for 20% of the score, but it's a big clue that a pack of Wellington-based artists made the film. wink

Hmm...never got that vibe myself. Shore's music is so modern and violent and harsh in the action scenes that the few moments of relief there are are just...well, haunting to me. Just because there's a wordless female vocal here and there doesn't automatically mean it's Yanni territory! smile
    I am extremely serious.
  1. That's true... it could have been a lot worse.

Vangelis might have been the voice in between the voices. wink
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    Enya... Celtic chic... Elizabeth Fraser... Annie Lennox at her dreamiest... the Sissel/Liv Tyler songs.. the often hymnal diatonic emphasis ... it probably only accounts for 20% of the score, but it's a big clue that a pack of Wellington-based artists made the film. wink

Hmm...never got that vibe myself. Shore's music is so modern and violent and harsh in the action scenes that the few moments of relief there are are just...well, haunting to me. Just because there's a wordless female vocal here and there doesn't automatically mean it's Yanni territory! smile

Agree!

And just because I can, here's two sides to Elizabeth Fraser's sound....

GOLD DUST

The Cocteau Twins are a truly unique band and sound, love it! cool

and...

Song To The Siren

An absolutely gorgeous and ethereal version of the classic Tim Buckley song cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. Well even Enya is more than a one trick pony, but I think all of these elements were used in a way that's pretty typical of the New Age genre.
    In hindsight, I think we're lucky we got through the woods of Fangorn without Deep Forest Music making a comeback!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I first started arguing with people about the new age stuff back in 2001. Franz, I had thought that you were one of the people in the opposite camp! (Which seemed to be pretty much every person in the world apart from me, at that time.)
  3. Southall wrote
    I first started arguing with people about the new age stuff back in 2001. Franz, I had thought that you were one of the people in the opposite camp! (Which seemed to be pretty much every person in the world apart from me, at that time.)

Like I say... 'with the benefit of hindsight'. I do remember having this argument from the other side 7-8 years ago.

Hey, at the time it came out, I even convinced myself I liked THE PHANTOM MENACE film. You've got to give yourself time to make peace with the truth. wink

Keeping on-topic though: BTW, if there's another major film score that connected with the public that borrowed more than a few New Age music ideas, it's TITANIC.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    • CommentTimeNov 17th 2009
    Falkirkbairn wrote

Could someone summarise what Gilles just said?

lol its quite complicated one. biggrin
    Racism, Prejudices and discrimination exists everywhere.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Cameron usually has winners so one has to assume it will be a success.
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    Cameron usually has winners so one has to assume it will be a success.

Of course, it will certainly do good business at box office. But only the question, how the movie works among the audience? I could recollect that a year ago, before release of Spielberg's Indy 4, many people around the world had huge expectation but we were all disappointed with movie. However, Indy 4 was huge success at box office, that too just because of hype. Same thing here that i have feeling that this movie might do well just because of hype. The concept of movie sounds very stereotype, alien and distant planet which we have seen in many earlier films. I believe nobody should have any huge expectations on this film. But my only hope lies on Cameron. My only question is will he fulfill our expectations?
    •  
      CommentAuthorFeliz
    • CommentTimeNov 17th 2009 edited
    Tracklist and one full streaming track for Avatar: Clicky!

There's only 15 tracks, but if they're of a decent length that should be about right. The sample track starts out very well produced but fairly standard stuff. Then exotic choirs come in a bit at the end for a great finish, showing a lot of potential for the rest of the soundtrack. That little bit reminds me some of the opening Lion King track. Horner obviously didn't let all that time go to waste on this one. It'll be well done.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    The link is broken Feliz!?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    This is the link
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thanks! smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorTimon
    • CommentTimeDec 2nd 2009
    Another post in the hype for the film. Here's a clip from the beginning of the film! (music sounds like First Landing from The New World) The voice over came very suprising..

http://www.panasonic.com/promos/avatar/ … -Avatar_lp
  4. Must resist... still a few more days to go...

Damn you Tim(on). sad wink
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 3rd 2009 edited
    Yay! I'm going to a press screening of this one on the 16th of December, to cover the Horner music for montages.no. Cool! I've never been to a press screening before. I assume it's regular business for some of you entertainment business guys here, though...
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeDec 3rd 2009
    Hot diggity! punk

Guess you're not going to cover it in English though, are you? sad
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Martijn wrote
    Hot diggity! punk

'fraid not. But I'm guessing I'm gonna repeat some of the thoughts when the film is out to the public and this thread (and the Horner one) REALLY kick into high gear.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Hehe... won't be too long. I'll probably go and see the film. I suspect that if it does turn out to be worth seeing, it'll be worth seeing on the big screen.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 4th 2009
    Thor wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Hot diggity! punk

'fraid not. But I'm guessing I'm gonna repeat some of the thoughts when the film is out to the public and this thread (and the Horner one) REALLY kick into high gear.

A shortened version in English will do smile wink
  5. Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Hot diggity! punk

A shortened version in English will do smile wink

Two words will suffice: BUY IT.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeDec 6th 2009 edited
    Now there is a four minute documentary-style feature on the planet Pandora and the life that inhabits it.

Since it contains probably some of the most beautiful shots from the movie, I guess a spoiler warning is necessary. If, however, you have any doubts that we´re in for a real treat here, you should watch this, and keep in mind that the movie will be in 3D...

Behold the beauty of Pandora.
  6. I will so NOT click on that !!!

If the movie was still months away I might though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    • CommentTimeDec 7th 2009
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Now there is a four minute documentary-style feature on the planet Pandora and the life that inhabits it.

Since it contains probably some of the most beautiful shots from the movie, I guess a spoiler warning is necessary. If, however, you have any doubts that we´re in for a real treat here, you should watch this, and keep in mind that the movie will be in 3D...

Behold the beauty of Pandora.

It looks like cartoonish and animation movie. So, its going to be like Toy Story. slant
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I think it looks stunning. This film is a 'MUST SEE' for me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Sigourney Weaver has an awesome voice for voice-over dialogue. Very reassuring without being patronising... a kind of female American version of Stephen Fry. cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thanks for bringing that to my attention, I hardly noticed but you're right, she has got a great voice for naration ( she's done it before for a docu on Gorilla's....I'm sure you get the link wink ), most American narration I find unbelievably patronising.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAndy
    Didn't Weaver do the voice over for the American version of Planet Earth? Why they chose to replace the original voice over by David Attenborough is a mystery.
    Cookie monster
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    They obviously wanted it to appeal to an American audience. I like Attenborough's voice, but it does have a tendency to put you in a deep coma.