• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeJan 18th 2010
    Christodoulides wrote
    Very deserving so.

It deserves the best director, for sure.

In fact, I said since his realease date, that this year could be one of this times the Oscar goes for Cameron as director, and to some other film as movie.
  1. Nautilus wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Very deserving so.

It deserves the best director, for sure.

Very right. Not everyone in Hollywood can pull of such a project the way it turned out. If anything, he is the most passionate director right now, working all that time and putting all that effort on something that was a huge gamble... that's dedication!
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthoradam
    I thought the Hurt Locker shoulda got some love
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Nautilus wrote
    Sunil wrote
    I have feeling that James Cameron's AVATAR may fail to do good business at box office. What do you all say on this?

Im with you here.

JUST AN UPDATE ON THE NUMBERS FOR JORDI AND SUNIL.

Avatar has been number one at the box office since it opened Dec 18th and has brought in $491,000,000 domestically. World wide it has made $500 gazillion.

What a total and colossal failure this film is!

biggrin

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Shame really, I think it's quite good. Oh well, I suppose Cameron will have to go back to making documentaries about the Titanic again. *sigh*
  2. Christodoulides wrote
    Very deserving so.

indeed, I'm sure this will be repeated during the Academy Awards
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    Sunil wrote
    I have feeling that James Cameron's AVATAR may fail to do good business at box office. What do you all say on this?

Im with you here.

Avatar has been number one at the box office since it opened Dec 18th and has brought in $491,000,000 domestically. World wide it has made $500 gazillion.

biggrin

-Erik-

lol biggrin applause
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Erik Woods wrote
    Avatar has been number one at the box office since it opened Dec 18th and has brought in $491,000,000 domestically.

-Erik-

It´s $505,067,000 actually. And nobody knows when it´s gonna stop. It´s phenomenon beyond any limits.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    Sunil wrote

Im with you here.

biggrin

-Erik-

And it has definitely NOT won any fan's hearts over. What a failure.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    ^ Oh and let's not forget, the score is crap.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeJan 18th 2010 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    ^ Oh and let's not forget, the score is crap.

Yes, according to .

If I didn't love Avatar like I do, I sure as hell would hate it with every fibre of my being. Too bad I like it too much to loathe it.

Makes sense too huh?
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    • CommentTimeJan 20th 2010
    China bans Avatar from Cinemas:

Beijing, Jan 19 (DPA) Chinese authorities have ordered cinemas to stop showing box-office smash 'Avatar', reports here said Tuesday.

Two Beijing cinemas confirmed that they would stop showing the ordinary version of 'Avatar', but not the 3-D version, from Saturday, despite the movie's continued high popularity.

The Hong Kong-based Apple Daily newspaper said the state-run China Film Group had ordered all Chinese cinemas to stop showing the film.

'Avatar' took about 300 million yuan ($40 million) at the box office in its first eight days after its release in China Jan 4, the official China Daily quoted the China Film Group as saying.

Many commentators in China found a political resonance in the film's story of the Na'vi's battle to protect their land and culture from outsiders, comparing them to Chinese citizens fighting to protect their property from the government and developers.

'Somehow, the film struck a chord with Chinese audiences and created nothing less than a social phenomenon,' commentator Huang Hung wrote in China Daily Tuesday.

'Why? All the forced removal of old neighbourhoods in China makes us the only earthlings today who can really feel the pain of the Na'vi,' she said.

'For audiences in other countries, such brutal eviction is something outside their imagining. It could only take place on another planet or in China,' popular blogger Han Han wrote of 'Avatar'.

Cultural officials also wanted to ensure the success of a big-budget, state-approved film of the life of social philosopher Confucius scheduled for release nationwide Friday, the Apple Daily said.

'Avatar' had been reportedly scheduled to run until Feb 28.

Many viewers had queued for tickets costing up to 150 yuan ($22) for the IMAX 3-D version of 'Avatar' in Beijing earlier this month, the Global Times newspaper said.

China allows imports of only 20 foreign films annually for showing in cinemas.

The country's top two box-office hits last year were both foreign films, '2012' and 'Transformers 2', which earned 460 million yuan ($68 million) and 430 million yuan ($63 million), respectively, the Global Times said.

Pirated DVDs of Avatar were on sale for about 7 yuan ($1) in Beijing's streets and markets even before the film's official release in China.

smile
    Racism, Prejudices and discrimination exists everywhere.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Some might be interested in a video game composers take on the Avatar world. Here is a very exciting cue from Avatar: The Game composed by Chance Thomas. It's really, really good!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1pZMfUaaIY

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  3. Mmmm I guess it's okay, at first listen. I'd really like to hear it in the context of the rest of the score. I'm going to hunt for it now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Sunil wrote
    China bans Avatar from Cinemas

That just unbelievable. Together with all these other affairs and bans and suppressions, ... angry
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 20th 2010 edited
    Bregt wrote
    Sunil wrote
    China bans Avatar from Cinemas

That just unbelievable. Together with all these other affairs and bans and suppressions, ... angry

Well, it's China. They have banning as one of their favourite pastimes.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Everything can happen in Goddamned China.

Oh and people are starting to name their children after Avatar characters, in the rest of the world, most favourable being "Pandora"!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Christodoulides wrote
    Oh and people are starting to name their children after Avatar characters, in the rest of the world, most favourable being "Pandora"!

Poor children.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    biggrin

I saw at a technology magazine today, its cover had AVATAR's poster and title in huge letters, and the tagline read:

"THE DAY THE CINEMA CHANGED"

But i guess it hasn't touched people's hearts yet wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Oh. Has cinema changed?
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorelenewton
    Christodoulides wrote

yeah and everything can happen in your GODDAMNED Greece, too.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote

rolleyes

On a side note, I used to go out with a girl named Pandora ( her parents were hippies ) a long time ago, she was very good looking but very weird,
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  4. First man to crack a joke about opening Pandora's Box gets... a punch in the eye from Stavi.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Eh, nevermind.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Double post.
    I am extremely serious.
  5. I thought you had good comic timing for a second there...
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    elenewton wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

yeah and everything can happen in your GODDAMNED Greece, too.

Really? Like what? Hey, i am not the one banning the shit out of everything in this world wink And Greece IS Goddamned, mind you, we are on the verge of financial breakdown (who isn't really wink) but at least we don't ban people to cover up our own complexes wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    franz_conrad wrote
    First man to crack a joke about opening Pandora's Box gets... a punch in the eye from Stavi.

lol Does it really need to be cracked?
  6. Pandora's Box? Obviously!
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Which of the 2 boxes?