• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 29th 2009
    I've been using this streaming program for a year or so now, when I'm not listening to my own collection. It's pretty impressive stuff, even the free service that occasionally breaks up for a commercial. And to make this on-topic: YES, there are lots of film scores available as well!

http://spotify.com/

Any other users here?

For those who don't know, you have to be INVITED to get access.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Never heard of it! But then I never listen to streamed stuff anyway. I'm a real control freak as far as that's concerned.
    I certainly won't rule it out in future though, with wireless broadband connections getting more pervasive all the time!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    I heard of it but don't use it. I only go on StreamingSoundtracks sometimes. Will try it out sometime though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Martijn wrote
    Never heard of it! But then I never listen to streamed stuff anyway. I'm a real control freak as far as that's concerned.
    I certainly won't rule it out in future though, with wireless broadband connections getting more pervasive all the time!

But here, you have total control (except the commercials, which pop up once in a while if you're using the free service) and play whatever you will whenever you will - in excellent quality.

Check out the intro video on the site.

In Norway, this has become a HUGE phenomenon on par with facebook and youtube, and it's just a matter of time before it spreads to other parts of Europe and the world.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    "not available in your country yet"

slant

Also last.fm radio is not free here. slant I'll stick to StreamingSoundtracks.com (which is fantastic so I have no complaint)
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Same here, "not available in your country yet"...
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Miya wrote
    "not available in your country yet"

Same here. slant All I seemto be able to get is the premium (paid) version.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I know. As I said, if you don't live in the UK, you need to be INVITED by someone!

However, if you google around a bit with the words "spotify invite" or some such thing, you might stumble across a, shall we say, "way around it".

I wish I had invitations to give you, but unfortunately, I don't. sad
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJul 29th 2009 edited
    confused

But even if you're invited it would still not be for the NON-paid version, would it (seeing as how it isn't actually available)?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Oh, never mind... shame

Do I need to pay to use Spotify?
    No, the advertising-funded version of Spotify is free of charge, however, for now it requires that you receive an invite to register unless you are in the UK
    •  
      CommentAuthorAndy
    I have a bunch of invites if anyone is interested!
    Cookie monster
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJul 29th 2009 edited
    Cheers Andy...While I'm seriously tempted, I probably shouldn't. shame
    Like I said I almost never listen to anything streaming to date: my music collection is so extensive I'm never without...but on the other hand I can totally see the attraction to discover new music...

Argh!
    I don't want to deprive anyone of a chance just because I am curious.
    sad

Is it like with GMail beta that once you've been invited you get a bunch of invites to deal out yourself as well?
    In that case, I'd love an invite! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    Not available in US!

Anyways... the only streaming music site that I check out is StreamingSoundtracks.com (SST) which, as Miya has already said, is awesome!
    I hardly get time to listen to music these days due to school work. But I do make it a point to check out SST every now and then, especially for the updates to the library at the end of each month.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAndy
    • CommentTimeJul 30th 2009
    I sent you an invite code, Martijn. Check your messages!

As a member, you get a couple of invites from time to time. However, I'm a premium (i.e. paying) member, so that might be why I get them. I currently have 14 invitations so don't be afraid to ask me for one if you're interested, guys. smile
    Cookie monster
    • CommentAuthorRanietz
    I haven't tried Spotify since I thought it didn't have any soundtracks on it. But since Thor say it has I'll be more than happy to take one of your invites Andy. beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Stream buckit.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Ranietz wrote
    I haven't tried Spotify since I thought it didn't have any soundtracks on it. But since Thor say it has I'll be more than happy to take one of your invites Andy. beer

It has LOTS of soundtracks. I mean, almost full discographies of some!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    shocked

Whoah!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 31st 2009
    Martijn wrote
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?

biggrin

Let's just say than i am quite sensitive when it comes to sound quality, it's my job you can't really blame me for it wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJul 31st 2009
    Fair enough. smile You're a professional deviant.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 31st 2009 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    Martijn wrote

biggrin

Let's just say than i am quite sensitive when it comes to sound quality, it's my job you can't really blame me for it wink

I understand that, and it's certainly not CD quality, but I urge you to check it out if you get the chance. It's really better than any streaming service I've ever heard before. In fact, I can hear no difference between this and my CD-imported iTunes files!

Also, I don't really use it for concentrated listening. For that, I'll put on a CD. No, it's one of the most perfect SAMPLER tools I've ever had. To get full albums in this quality of almost any composer you can imagine for free - just as a sampler! - well, that's pretty cool in my book.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorRanietz
    • CommentTimeAug 1st 2009 edited
    I got a chance to check out Spotify today (Thanks Andy), and I think it's good. I doesn't have all the soundtracks in the world but enough to keep me occupied for a while. The sound quality is good, and as Thor said, it's a great way to discover new music. At least it beats listening to low quality 30 sec sound clips on Amazon. wink

I really hope Spotify will be a success. If they increase the amount of music (esp soundtracks) in their library a lot, I'm willing to pay for this.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 1st 2009
    Ranietz wrote
    I got a chance to check out Spotify today (Thanks Andy), and I think it's good. I doesn't have all the soundtracks in the world but enough to keep me occupied for a while. The sound quality is good, and as Thor said, it's a great way to discover new music. At least it beats listening to low quality 30 sec sound clips on Amazon. wink

I really hope Spotify will be a success. If they increase the amount of music (esp soundtracks) in their library a lot, I'm willing to pay for this.

I'm also CONSIDERING paying for it, if only to get rid of the commercials that occasionally break in...in BETWEEN tracks, but still.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorRanietz
    • CommentTimeAug 1st 2009
    Yeah, the commercials are a bit annoying. But they must increase their library before they get any money from me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeFeb 11th 2011
    Spotify will be available in Belgium this summer.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeFeb 11th 2011 edited
    Can you spot if I give a toss? wink
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    I thoughtify you mightify be interestedify! But apparentlyify not.
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Notify, lad, Notify rolleyes
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Testify, Timmer! Testify! punk