• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 15th 2013
    Boy a lesser John Williams score can really made Tim a grumpy boy!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    Spielberg isn't doing Robopocalypse? sad

Is that a bad thing? It's a crappy title, what was the premise?

You've seen Spielberg with sci-fi before, right? uhm And a robot apocalypse film doesn't sound awesome to you? uhm uhm (Add to the fact the book seems to get pretty wide acclaim.)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 15th 2013 edited
    Demetris wrote

HAVE YOU HEARD THAT JOHN WILLIAMS WON'T BE SCORING A RELIGIOUS EPIC?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote

Is that a bad thing? It's a crappy title, what was the premise?

You've seen Spielberg with sci-fi before, right? uhm And a robot apocalypse film doesn't sound awesome to you? uhm uhm (Add to the fact the book seems to get pretty wide acclaim.)

yes yes I know, Spielberg and sci-fi is always a good thing but haven't you heard?.............
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    ...JOHN WILLIAMS WON'T BE SCORING A RELIGIOUS EPIC.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I'm more disappointed about Robopocalypse. sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    2013's Williams' religious epic would sound like Lincoln i think smile If the Roboapocalypse thingy would be closer to war of the worlds, i would take that instead!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Demetris wrote

I'm actually in a very good and very mellow mood today D. JOHN WILLIAMS NOT SCORING A RELIGIOUS EPIC is indeed slightly irksome but other than that I'm a very happy bunny.

bunny
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    Demetris wrote

You should try listening to Thor's That Religious Sound: John Williams Edition © ® ™ Playlist (which ever since he posted it I managed to painstakingly reconstruct).

It will immediately and effectively fill that particular sense of void.
    (And it is a very good compilation, indeed!)

EDIT: the links to Thor's screenshots are dead. sad
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Steven wrote

No, it has been postponed indefinitely.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    ...JOHN WILLIAMS WON'T BE SCORING A RELIGIOUS EPIC.

Yeah, that's a huge bummer. Would have been right up his (and our) alley.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Martijn wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Demetris wrote

You should try listening to Thor's That Religious Sound: John Williams Edition © ® ™ Playlist (which ever since he posted it I managed to painstakingly reconstruct).

Yeah, sorry about that. My site celluloidtunes.net is dead (I used the domain to upload images like that).

Which means I must painfully reconstruct that playlist myself out of memory and time.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I'd like to know that playlist again. I copied yours and inserted a few tracks that you didn't deem "religious" by your own definition. I remember it made a great play.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    So, Ridley Scott is doing another huge Moses epic movie instead, and will star Christian Bale, so no harm done, right? We'll get an epic biblical score by Zimmer after all! http://collider.com/christian-bale-moses-exodus/
  1. Demetris wrote
    So, Ridley Scott is doing another huge Moses epic movie instead, and will star Christian Bale, so no harm done, right? We'll get an epic biblical score by Zimmer after all! http://collider.com/christian-bale-moses-exodus/

As long as it isn't Marc Streitenfeld. I would prefer Harry-Gregson Williams.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    (irony isn't always detectable i think wink )
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Btw i'd get Streitenfield's stuff like THE GREY over derivative stuff like BIBLE with Lisa Gerrard's cliched wailing anyday.
  2. Demetris wrote
    (irony isn't always detectable i think wink )

Ohhh ... wink
  3. Btw, Moses isn't Jesus! Generally I would expect a score that has more in common with Danna's "The Gospel of John" rather than something in the tradition of Rozsa or Alfred Newman. Whoever is the director.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    The news are true however smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Captain Future wrote
    Btw, Moses isn't Jesus! Generally I would expect a score that has more in common with Danna's "The Gospel of John" rather than something in the tradition of Rozsa or Alfred Newman. Whoever is the director.

Well...Ang Lee....Mychael Danna.....wink wink
  4. Demetris wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    Btw, Moses isn't Jesus! Generally I would expect a score that has more in common with Danna's "The Gospel of John" rather than something in the tradition of Rozsa or Alfred Newman. Whoever is the director.

Well...Ang Lee....Mychael Danna.....wink wink

Quite!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Demetris wrote

Zimmer has already done a Moses pic.....PRINCE OF EGYPT, remember?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 16th 2013
    Ah, that was brilliant. But it was years ago, still brilliant though. However today i am afraid it's mostly Gerrard wailing over synth mock-ups of Gladiator left-overs.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Demetris wrote
    Ah, that was brilliant. But it was years ago, still brilliant though. However today i am afraid it's mostly Gerrard wailing over synth mock-ups of Gladiator left-overs.

There's no doubt her voice is an incredible talent but boy it's got old fast as far as it's use in scores goes.
  5. I think there is a general misunderstanding of popularity in film music. Producers just jump on certain trends and what they don't get is that a certain sound was created for a very specific context. Actually the biggest recent case-in-point for me is what happened with the popularity of John Powell's Bourne-ostinato-ridden action style which is adapted in almost everything (even James Newton Howard's Salt suffers from those influences). And yet, if you listen deeply into especially Bourne Ultimatum, you can hear that this was written for a hand-held-filmed action movie. I can't listen to that score and NOT imagine hand-held/shaky camera work.

And yet, every action movie, no matter the visual style, uses that sound, because it's "in". Same happened with the wailing vocals in film scores and films. Even of all people James Horner couldn't escape that route. Though once he referred to it in a very intelligent way, to the point of using mystical Arabic voices from a certain Islamic movement (Qawwali, to be precise) in a film about fighting Sudanese insurgents (The Four Feathers).

And about Gerrard's voice, it's by no means Middle-Eastern. It's very far from being influenced by the Middle East... as most of New Age goes, her ideas are rather coming from more of a Celtic place.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Indeed, it's Celtic in core and new-age in the modern wrapping. But the trend that was created post-Gladiator and post-BlackHawk Down, is to shove her (or her poor imitators - i.e. Lisbeth Scott etc) down our throats in every middle Eastern-colored score together with the Duduk.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Thor wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Demetris wrote

Yeah, sorry about that. My site celluloidtunes.net is dead (I used the domain to upload images like that).

Which means I must painfully reconstruct that playlist myself out of memory and time.
    Timmer wrote
    I'd like to know that playlist again. I copied yours and inserted a few tracks that you didn't deem "religious" by your own definition. I remember it made a great play.

I said I had reconstructed it.

You're welcome. smile
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Awesome, thank you!
    I am extremely serious.
  6. Demetris wrote
    Indeed, it's Celtic in core and new-age in the modern wrapping. But the trend that was created post-Gladiator and post-BlackHawk Down, is to shove her (or her poor imitators - i.e. Lisbeth Scott etc) down our throats in every middle Eastern-colored score together with the Duduk.

I wouldn't say really that Lisbeth Scott is a "poor imitator" of Lisa Gerrard, starting from the fact that Lisbeth Scott has been in film music longer than Gerrard (Gerrard appeared in film scores in 1999, Lisbeth has her first credits around 1996 and if memory serves me well, it was Zimmer who introduced her as well) and they have a somehow different kid of voicing, Scott tends to sing in a more weeping manner than Gerrard ever did. Look at the stuff she's done for John Williams' Munich, it's not much of wailing, it's more of downright musical crying.

Granted, I was very disappointed that Williams (while reworking it) went for that cliche in a quite specific kind of musical theme (the theme in Remembering Munich, as Williams as the arrangement is, melodically is not far removed from what Hans would do for such a project for me, and coming from THIS particular composer, I find it disappointing... though if there was a Spielberg movie I'd gladly see Hans score, that *would* be Munich. Munich and Amistad). I am one of those rare Williams fans who ended up being rather disappointed with that score save for some tracks.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website