• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 4th 2009
    keky wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    I seriously think that Hook is his most underrated film and I love every friggin' second of it.

Agreed. A wonderful children movie even with a grown-up's eyes! beer

A little too über-sentimental on occasion (and I felt that even when I watched it at age 14 in 1991) , but again - lovely set design, music and a nice performance by Hoffman. Worth watching for that.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    I, too, admire HOOK. Its really good children film. beer I admire even more for wonderful and great score by John Williams.
    Racism, Prejudices and discrimination exists everywhere.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    Thor wrote

but again - lovely set design, music and a nice performance by Hoffman. Worth watching for that.

I liked both Dustin and Robin Williams' performances. Hook is totally underrated movie. I appreciate Spielberg for his sincere and honest attempt to deliver different and entertaining film of all time.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    Thor wrote
    WAR OF THE WORLDS is a fantastic suspence/action film. That basement scene is absolutely awesome.

INDY 4 is a fine film, too

lol you got some good sense of humor. I appreciate you. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    As I said I have faith in Steven S. It will be a film that some won't like but you can't please everyone anyway.
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    sdtom wrote
    As I said I have faith in Steven S. It will be a film that some won't like but you can't please everyone anyway.
    Thomas

Yeah... but this is Spielberg we are talking about... a director who had the ability to please everyone!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Erik Woods wrote

Yeah... but this is Spielberg we are talking about... a director who had the ability to please everyone!

-Erik-

Then we should immediately elect him president of the US!!!! cheesy

Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    sdtom wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Thomas

Because he is a film maker who has the ability to satisfy a broad audience? You guys really have an f'd up system down there don't you?

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    sdtom wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Thomas

Next thing you know you'll be suggesting some Hollywood B-list actor should get elected rolleyes

...oh, wait a minute.........
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Well if he can please everyone he'd solve all our problems
  1. Timmer wrote
    sdtom wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Thomas

Next thing you know you'll be suggesting some Hollywood B-list actor should get elected rolleyes

...oh, wait a minute.........

applause

Reagan WAS a good president though.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    • CommentTimeAug 6th 2009
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Agreed. But for the past few years, i fear that he is losing that ability.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    sdtom wrote
    Well if he can please everyone he'd solve all our problems

Context, Tom. Context. Please a wide audience with his films. When did this get all political.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Sunil wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Agreed. But for the past few years, i fear that he is losing that ability.

Oh... the ability is there. He just hasn't picked the best projects or picked some stinkers and let others take too much control... which is rare for Spielberg. I wonder what would have happened if Darabont's Indy 4 script made the cut because everyone EXCEPT Lucas LOVED IT! I've read it and LOVED it as well.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    Erik Woods wrote

Oh... the ability is there. He just hasn't picked the best projects or picked some stinkers and let others take too much control... which is rare for Spielberg. I wonder what would have happened if Darabont's Indy 4 script made the cut because everyone EXCEPT Lucas LOVED IT! I've read it and LOVED it as well.

-Erik-

Maybe, you are right. He should be very careful in picking up projects or selecting scripts.

By the way, is there any problem between you and Clemmensen?

These detractors don't always come from the other film music sites. In fact, it's more common to see cheap shots at Filmtracks from guys like Erik Woods (among others) than actually find any organized effort to attack the site. Instead, most of these people who vocalize their hate for Filmtracks here come from general movie, TV show, or game-related sites (IMDb and sci-fi forums both sent people to this particular thread). At least one religious forum also has made occasional calls for its hoard to attack this site. I don't want to start flame wars with these people at other venues, so I don't share my logs with anyone.

Christian

If you find it as your personal, sorry to interfere. I am so curious to know about that. I couldn't understand what he actually was saying about you and others.

Take care of your health!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeAug 6th 2009 edited
    Sunil wrote
    Maybe, you are right. He should be very careful in picking up projects or selecting scripts.

By the way, is there any problem between you and Clemmensen?

I have no idea why my name was brought up. Maybe it had something to do with the fact that I voiced my opinion concerning the length of Clemmensen's reviews here at MT (or was at scorereviews) instead of at Filmtracks. That was a long time ago though. It was just a comment.

-Erik-
  2. Sunil wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

I still don't see it.

You will certainly see it, if you just follow me. If you have DVD right now, just play the scene where aliens enter underground house where Tom and Dakota hide and try to escape, that whole scene remains me of famous kitchen scene in Jurassic Park. Please try it and you would certainly notice that.

It's very similar, I'll agree, but the scene he's filming is similar too. I think both work on their own terms.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    • CommentTimeAug 7th 2009
    AMISTAD

I believe this film was completely underrated and failed to do good business at box office. I simply adore this movie and score. Excellent acting by all actors in the movie, especially Djimon Honsou and Anthony Hopkins were really superb. I don't have words to praise John Williams' score for this movie. Really heart touching, very emotional indeed.

But there are some scenes i felt that Spielberg poured over dramatic appeal, especially in scene where Cinque raises his arms and say "Give us us free", which is not quite convincing to me. But that scene looks good just because brilliant acting by Djimon Honsou and tremendous background score by Maestro. Apart from that, the last 10 minute court scene is really highlight of the movie. Anthony Hopkins, who played as John Quincy Adams was really superb. And most importantly, score is even greater than scene. Overall, its great film from great director. Hmmm... the only thing i am unable to discover that why this movie didn't reach many people around the world?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Sunil wrote
    AMISTAD
    Anthony Hopkins, who played as John Quincy Adams was really superb. And most importantly, score is even greater than scene.

Michael (franz conrad) will take over from here...

-Erik-
  3. Tag team boxing. Luv it! punk

There's a couple of reasons why AMISTAD didn't connect.

(i) the critics didn't get behind it;
    (ii) the double whammy, the larger potential audience didn't respond to the marketing campaign.

People, for the most part, didn't see it. And those who saw it, didn't recommend it to others.

I think some of the main reasons why SCHINDLER'S LIST connected on a larger scale and AMISTAD didn't:
    (i) There hadn't been a Holocaust film that had made its way across to the mainstream at the time of SCHINDLER. The issue of slavery had been covered many times over on the other hand - most popularly in GLORY, but also in ROOTS, THE COLOR PURPLE and many other films. AMISTAD was not breaking new ground.
    (ii) The scope of the action in AMISTAD doesn't lend itself to great drama. Gold-lit constitutional court rooms don't compete with the imminent chance of death in a Polish ghetto.
    (iii) Slavery is a backyard issue for the native audience of AMISTAD, Americans. The persecution of Jews in WWII and prior to that is less of a backyard issue. Some insist that the residue of the slave culture can be felt today (I won't go there). I think that alone must make it harder for an American audience to go and see that issue taken on as entertainment. Try selling tickets to SCHINDLER'S LIST in Germany, or to CACHE in France (or RULES OF THE GAME for that matter).

The latter contributes to what is probably the greatest of weakness for AMISTAD. It's not the sentimentality, which would normally be the main flaw of the film. It's the sense of sanctimony that comes across. Spielberg manages to make it feel like a film about the foundations of America, highlighting how the ideals of America conflicted with this basic idea. And the sense of being lectured.... ack, can't handle it. GANGS OF NEW YORK unexpectedly tripped up on the same tonal issue.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    Amistad ranks among my favourites of Spielberg's. A great movie, indeed, with a touching score by Williams.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I didn't particularly enjoy Amistad - I've only seen it once, and don't want to dismiss it without seeing it again, but Franz's comment about being lectured seems an astute one. I thought it was a pretty weak score too - quite beautiful music on its own terms, but it didn't seem to be in the right film. Scoring courtroom drama isn't easy (though To Kill a Mockingbird is a genuine candidate to be considered the greatest film score of all) and I didn't think Williams pulled off those aspects of the film very well.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    Southall wrote
    I didn't particularly enjoy Amistad

Enjoy? how come a man can enjoy this kind of tragedy film? biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    There's one scene in Amistad (I watched the film when I was quite young) that is still stuck because it was so shocking; That was when the slaves were attached on each other at the feet, and then they soaped the ship floor, and let them slide into the water, to drown. Just horrible.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Sunil wrote
    Southall wrote
    I didn't particularly enjoy Amistad

Enjoy? how come a man can enjoy this kind of tragedy film? biggrin

OK, perhaps I did make a poor choice of word there.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    applause exactly! biggrin
  4. Bregt wrote
    There's one scene in Amistad (I watched the film when I was quite young) that is still stuck because it was so shocking; That was when the slaves were attached on each other at the feet, and then they soaped the ship floor, and let them slide into the water, to drown. Just horrible.

Everyone who saw that film remembers that scene. It is indeed stomach-turning horrible. I've got to rewatch the film sometime, it's been far too long.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    Definitely, one of the most disturbing scene for many light hearted persons. Spielberg is true master in making that kind of scene. It was so realistic and heart breaking scene. Hats off to Spielberg! for bringing those horrible past on big screen.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    • CommentTimeAug 8th 2009
    A.I ( Artificial Intelligence )

A.I. was really milestone in history of cinema. Due to some reasons, this movie failed to do good business at box office. This movie is moving and emotional one. Spielberg gave us a completely different sci fi flick, which didn’t reach world audience.

As far as score concern, it’s really dark, haunting, melodious and heart touching. Monica’s theme and the Mecha world are truly masterpiece. I believe John Williams should have won oscar for his brilliant score for this movie.

I simple adore this movie for the sake of script, special effects, score, Art direction, acting and direction. Spielberg proved his tremendous skill in directing or filmmaking effort. This movie is not typical robot action flick, its complete deals with artificial genuine emotions versus human emotions. David is not real but his love is real, I really like this concept that how a man respond to robot child, which posses certain human emotions. This could be the reason that movie didn’t liked by many audience. Too much emotions and sentiments, which many people felt it as over dosage. Despite that, its really good movie.

Overall, it is really masterpiece.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeAug 9th 2009
    Sunil wrote
    I simple adore this movie for the sake of script, special effects, score, Art direction, acting and direction.

Yeah... Michael Kahn really screwed the pooch on this one!

-Erik-