• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeAug 3rd 2009
    My favorite director of all time will be directing a film with a 6 and half foot rabbit in it as his next project...

SPIELBERG TAKES "HARVEY" AS NEXT PIC

By: Mike Fleming
    Published: Sun, August 02, 2009, 10:08 AM

Steven Spielberg has committed to his next film, and it will be an adaptation of the Mary Chase Pulitzer Prize-winning play “Harvey,” which will be done as a co-production between 20th Century Fox and DreamWorks.

It is the first screenplay by the bestselling novelist Jonathan Tropper.

It is the story of an amiable eccentric, Elwood P. Dowd, and his friendship with a six and one-half foot tall invisible rabbit, and how it affects every member of his family and community. The play won the Pulitzer Prize in 1944, and was previously turned into the 1950 Universal film that starred Jimmy Stewart and Josephine Hull.

Project will be produced by Spielberg and Don Gregory, with Elizabeth Gabler and Carla Hacken overseeing for Fox 2000, which acquired the rights in 2008.

“I am very happy to be working again with my friend Tom Rothman who shepherded us through `Minority Report,’ and with Elizabeth and Carla, who I’m looking forward to collaborating with,” Spielberg said. “DreamWorks has experienced a creative and profitable relationship with 20th Century Fox in the past, and I look forward to renewing that time together.”

While DreamWorks has several pictures that Spielberg loves--the Abraham Lincoln project is one--those pictures weren't ready, and Spielberg wanted to get back to work quickly. He has a strong relationship with Rothman, who with his partner Jim Gianopulos worked with Spielberg and his DreamWorks partner Stacey Snider to bring "Harvey" came together in remarkably speedy fashion, with casting and pre-production to begin immediately, and production starting in early 2010.

"Don Gregory entrusted us with these precious rights, Beth Gabler and Carla Hacken developed an exceptional screenplay and Jim and I had the easy part: Deciding to go first, before anyone else, to a filmmaker who combines the mastery of craft, tone, wit and insight that `Harvey' embodies," Rothman said. "Steven Spielberg is film's greatest humanist. And we feel blessed as Elwood himself to be collaborating with him, Stacey, and everyone at DreamWorks.

The picture gets DreamWorks and its new funding and distribution arrangement with Reliance and Disney off the ground. The film will be 50% financed by DreamWorks' backer Reliance, with DreamWorks either getting domestic or international and Fox keeping the other. The DreamWorks distribution and marketing will be handled by Disney through its deal with Spielberg and Snider.

Said Snider: "This is a story relevant for all times, perhaps more so than ever before. We are so pleased to be able, with Fox, to be bringing this to today's audiences."

Tropper's books include "The Book of Joe," "Everything Changes," "Plan B," "How to Talk to a Widower," and his new book, "This is Where I Leave You," will be published this month.

http://weblogs.variety.com/bfdealmemo/2 … t-pic.html

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  1. For me, there's nothing to improve on the original movie.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Good grief. What a strange idea.
  2. I wonder who's gonna act in it.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Pointless.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    For me, there's nothing to improve on the original movie.

Exactly.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeAug 3rd 2009 edited
    Most remakes are pointless. I would guess there would have to be a blockbuster actor and a huge ad campaign to pull this off. But Steven is a pro among professionals.
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    sdtom wrote
    Most remakes are pointless. I would guess there would have to be a blockbuster actor and a huge ad campaign to pull this off. But Steven is a pro among professionals.
    Thomas

Quite so. But my god, it had better not be Tom Cruise! rolleyes
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Haven't seen the 1950 film, but this looks very interesting!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Someone like George Clooney might fit the bill.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Does Disney doing the distributing and marketing mean they get the soundtrack rights also?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Atham wrote
    sdtom wrote
    Thomas

I'm betting it's gonna be starring Tom Hanks.

I wonder what prompted Spielberg to remake that old classic?
    I can't for the life of me see any urgency or added value in updating that charming little story.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Martijn wrote
    Atham wrote
    sdtom wrote
    Thomas

I wonder what prompted Spielberg to remake that old classic?
    I can't for the life of me see any urgency or added value in updating that charming little story.

Well, lack of inspiration perhaps? It seems to haunt everyone in Hollywood these days.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    It's a sure sign (well, one of them anyway) of a recession/depression as well: harkening back to older days and false sentiment. Sheer escapism.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeAug 3rd 2009 edited
    Martijn wrote

Ta-daaaah!
    ..."Spielberg plans for production to start next year. He is looking to hire Tom Hanks or Will Smith for the title role."...

Mystic Martijn strikes again.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    biggrin punk
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    When I heard of this story about a man and his relationship to a talking, 6 foot rabbit (and knowing it was a Disney pic), I immediately thought, "what, are they making a feel-good version of DONNIE DARKO?".

It's an odd pick for Spielberg, for sure, but hey - I just want him to keep making movies, even if it's a filmization of Tele Tubbies.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I want to see a Tim Burton version of that.

(starring Johnny Depp as Tinky Winky and Helena Bonham-Carter as Po; special guest stars: Julia Roberts as La Laa and Samual L. Jackson as Dipsy)
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Never heard of it actually.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    IT is a book by Stephen King.
  3. applause
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Martijn wrote

Ta-daaaah!
    ..."Spielberg plans for production to start next year. He is looking to hire Tom Hanks or Will Smith for the title role."...

Mystic Martijn strikes again.

I would have put money on it being Tom Hanks who is really the natural successor to James Stewart's everyman.

I still say this is a pointless remake.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Martijn wrote
    IT is a book by Stephen King.

wink
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    I still say this is a pointless remake.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFUqa72- … re=related
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    As for me, I am actually glad that there will be a remake since I have never seen the original but I've alwasy wanted to see it. I guess the basic story won't change that much and Spielberg being my favourite director I'm really looking forward to this movie!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Spielberg will have the advantage of special effects to work with.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Well, the rabbit is invisble, so I can't really see the advantage of special effects.
    Unless they'll create a CGI 6 feet rabbit, and then erase it digitally afterwards.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    biggrin
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    More will be revealed
  4. Martijn wrote
    Well, the rabbit is invisble, so I can't really see the advantage of special effects.
    Unless they'll create a CGI 6 feet rabbit, and then erase it digitally afterwards.

Remember the movie Hollow Man, made by your fellow countryman?

The best special effects there were the ones where the invisible guy interacts with the world. I'm still amazed how they do that stuff.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.